• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Basketball tomorrow. :O

I'll be watching all the games and posting stuff on Twitter if you're not able to see the games and want updates. Follow me @FireBlaster.

Oh, and people seem to forget Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant are just as, if not younger than D Rose. I think Rose is by far the best "player" in the game right now, but KD is a top 3 "scorer", and Russell is a top 5 PG. :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Rose is no way the far best player right now. I hate when people don't take into account defense. Rose is an AVERAGE defender at best. This guy got shook by Derek Fisher LOL. He bites on way too many cross overs, and uses his speed to catch up. I'm not going to label him best player yet. That goes to either LBJ or Dwight due to the impact they have on BOTH sides of the floor.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Over the last half of the season, his defense has risen up. He's not the best defender, but he's starting to have a knack for timely blocks...

I can't believe the Bulls are losing to what looks like a good Pacers team. This game is some kind of throwback. Pretty good defense, very pretty offense. :O

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
That was a great Bulls and Pacers game. I didn't believe the Bulls were going to come back in this one. Rose had some outstanding drives to bring Chicago back and then Noah with those two blocks to seal it. Loved the crowds enthusiasm.

Great start to the playoffs (Unless your a Pacers fan).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What a great finish to the Chicago game. Pacers threw their best punch with Hansbrough, Granger, and Collison being ON FIRE for most of the game. Chicago D tightened up (except for Boozer on Hans LOL) and Rose showed that killer instinct.

Rose and Deng really set the tone in the second half. I loved Deng's pissed off attitude.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
What a great finish to the Chicago game. Pacers threw their best punch with Hansbrough, Granger, and Collison being ON FIRE for most of the game. Chicago D tightened up (except for Boozer on Hans LOL) and Rose showed that killer instinct.

Rose and Deng really set the tone in the second half. I loved Deng's pissed off attitude.
Yeah, when Deng got the crowd fired up after getting ticked off it was something. Once Hansbrough made a basket right after it though everyone went quiet again, but only for a little bit.

I wonder what Indiana's mindset is going to be for game 2. If they were going to win that was one they should not have let get away.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That in my opinion was Indiana's best punch. Like I said, they had 3 players who were hot for most of the game. I doubt that will happen again. This game also showed that no one on their team can guard Rose.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Remember though, Chicago's the better team. Rose was 0-9 from 3pt land too. They probably won't get another chance like this, but if they do, this series will be great.

lol, what Bored said.

Jane

Smash Hero
what a wonderful start to the playoffs. that was a great game. kinda sad for the pacers, i was almost sure they had that ish lmao

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Miami looks a bit tentative. Nervous? Wouldn't make sense, since that team is filled with so many veterans and playoff experienced guys. LBJ has a history of doing well in the first game of playoffs. I have a feeling they'll do their usual "let's get super srs guys" in the second half.

And BS call on Iguodala charging into Miller.

Wow, way too many fouls on Phili. They need to move their feet and stop hacking.

I take that back. Heat got super srs in the second quarter lol.

@TRG...if you ever wanna try defending LBJ's character again. Read this.

www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/12/24/basketball.nba.lebron.james/index.html?hpt=C2

RATED

Smash Lord
question: where do you guys get those amazing avatars? I want one of the Thunders :)

Edit : LeBron is a Douchebag :S also LOL Bosh's Neck is HUGE.(inb4that'swhatshesaid)

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Good to see the Heat are handling business like they should. 76ers have no business on the court with them. lol

Edit: Immediately after I say that, they mount a run based on defense. I love it. Great work by the 76ers late. Heat could lose this.

Edit: Jrue Holiday going in.

Edit: Heat managed to close it out. Good for them. 76ers can steal 2 games though. :O

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't even know what to expect in the next game between Heat and 76ers...I know Chicago will win easily in Game 2. I think Heat will win Game 2 as well...but aside from Bibby, the Heat bench played fairly well. Mainl Z, Chalmers, Anthony, and Jones.

Not sure how Wade, Bosh, and LBJ will perform game to game.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
My little brother just won the championship game today :D

Jane

Smash Hero
^good stuff!

on an unrelated note, you can display your melee main now! :D

edit- meh, i think i'll just leave brawl ganon. his icon is much more shmexy :3

Smash Master
Miami looks a bit tentative. Nervous? Wouldn't make sense, since that team is filled with so many veterans and playoff experienced guys. LBJ has a history of doing well in the first game of playoffs. I have a feeling they'll do their usual "let's get super srs guys" in the second half.

And BS call on Iguodala charging into Miller.

Wow, way too many fouls on Phili. They need to move their feet and stop hacking.

I take that back. Heat got super srs in the second quarter lol.

@TRG...if you ever wanna try defending LBJ's character again. Read this.

www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/12/24/basketball.nba.lebron.james/index.html?hpt=C2
Sounds like a charity event. At least he doesn't throw elbows and **** people.

LAW2222

Smash Journeyman
lol @ lebrons birthday party
2 good games so far, unfortunately i missed the bulls/pacers
next two games should be good as well. I'm hoping for the magic and the blazers to win.
playoffs are the best

edit: holy **** dwight howard!!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Sounds like a charity event. At least he doesn't throw elbows and **** people.
Wow, really Numbers? Do you have any class? Look, I'm sorry if Kobe did something to you, but I don't know why you have to keep bringing him up. I simply remember TRG defending LBJ and calling him a non-ego maniac or something along those lines. I don't know if that event is for charity or not, but I cannot find any mention of it.

And for the record, you can't call it **** if he wasn't convicted. We do have a justice system in this country. Cheating on his wife is one thing, but **** is another. Unless of course, you were there?

Also, criticize Kobe's "elbows" then I guess MJ, Dwight Howard, Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Robert Horry, Latrell Sprewell, Reggie Miller, Dikembe Mutombo, Shaq are in the same boat right? Elbows are a part of the game dude. I'm guessing you're not familiar with the 80s, 90s, and even earlier 2000s. Man up and play the damn game.

LBJ doesn't throw elbows, but he does have the privilege to just run people over. Good try though.

Edit: Lol at Magic. Dwight is so leaving Orlando in the future. Though I do think this is more of a product of hot shooting from ATL than anything else. Series goes back to ATL 1-1.

Smash Master
So you acknowledge Kobe's a dirty player? We all saw that series vs. Houston.

w/e you're mad so obv. you think theres some truth to what I'm saying. Otherwise you'd just be lol,wut

I got nothing against Kobe except he's overhyped. Dude's not even top 5 today, and people go around worshipping him like some sort of deity, like Shaq and Gasol and Bynum etc... are worthless. That's what gets me. And then to top it off he's not even a good role model.

On the other side of the coin, you've got haters all over Lebron for no reason. Dude plays clean, he's charitable, he talks well, hea proved he plays to win by taking less money, and he's accomplished a lot more than Kobe ever did with ****ty teammates. True, he's never had an 81 point game, but that's cause he's not a chucker. That's all Kobe ever was. Someone who takes a lot of shots. Some of 'em happen to fall in.

Now, the reason I actually came to post: This game against the sixers was a microcosm of miami's whole season.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So you acknowledge Kobe's a dirty player? We all saw that series vs. Houston.

w/e you're mad so obv. you think theres some truth to what I'm saying. Otherwise you'd just be lol,wut
You have no idea how many times in forums I have to deal with a "hater" coming out of no where and making Kobe rapist jokes. With what you usually post in here, I have no reason to believe you're even "joking" and what not. And my personality has never had me laugh at jokes based on a person's crimes whether it's OJ, Kobe, Ben Rothlesberger, etc.

I just get irked by you, because the majority of your posts in here revolve around making Kobe look like crap, while building up LBJ. It's as if you're only purpose to come in here is to do that. Kobe does not even have to be part of the conversation, and you'll walk in here and make a remark about Kobe. We don't need a repeat of the same posts over and over again. We've already heard your statements, facts, and opinions on why you think Kobe is overrated, and why you like LBJ. I just don't understand why you have to unnecessarily bring one or the other up.

Also, I can point out a history of cases in LeBron's career that points out why people don't like him. It's one thing to be a hater, but you're fooling yourself if you think he hasn't done anything to warrant that.

1. The Decision. We already know about this being a bad marketing/PR move. I really don't buy the whole "raising charity" for the boys and girls club, considering you can just do that by opening up your check book.

2. Karma Tweet: The event in which LeBron pretty much fired back at Gilbert and the city of Cleveland after their 50 point loss to LA. Call it retaliation from Gilbert's letter, but a good guy wouldn't care about that and let it go.

3. LeBron Quitting Last Year In the Playoffs: If you don't believe this, then you need to take off your homer glasses and watch the last two games of that Boston series. It was almost as if he KNEW they were not going to win that series, or as if he THREW that series. He was sick of carrying that team, so he quit on them, even though they had a chance to win in game 6.

4. Chosen One Tattoo Before Even Being Drafted: Really? Before you get into the NBA you are already labeling yourself as the Chosen One along with The King? What did you even do to deserve this? The guy has proven he has the skill to back up those "titles", but you don't do that before you even play a game.

5. The Dunk Tape Being Confiscated At LBJ's Camp: You can't tell me Nike did this to protect LBJ's image as all players get dunked on. Yes, there was a rule of no video recordings allowed at the camp, but the rule wasn't even being enforced UNTIL that dunk happened.

6. Cursing and telling his mom to "Sit yo *** down" during a game: You don't do that to your mom. Nuff said.

Those are 6 that came to me off the top of my head why people hate LeBron. It's one thing to be a "hater". I understand that, there are a bunch of haters for no reason. However, there are also people who dislike LeBron for his character as well. The guy's ego is huge and he showboats it like no other.

And who would your top 5 NBA players be? This is my list:

1. LBJ
2. Dwight
3. Rose
4. Wade
5. Kobe

Lolwut at Mavs game. The two best players on the court right now are Kidd and Miller. Now we just need these guys to wear goggles, short shorts, and play that harlem globe trotter whistle music.

Dallas takes Game 1. Dirk and Kidd clutch down the stretch.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Haha, but Bored... The same could be said about how much you dislike LeBron. XD

It's safe to say you both don't like each other's player.

THAT ASIDE: Dwight Howard. The Man-child.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only reason I ever give off the vibe of not liking LBJ is because no one criticizes him here, and I HATE when people meat ride players. So I feel obligated to be on the opposite end. At the same time, I'm not always praising Kobe 24/7 in this thread, and even CRITICIZE him fairly when he's being stupid on the court. For example, in the season finale, I was pissed Kobe decided to take so many stupid tough shots, finishing the 4th going 1/7 with his only make being a 3 pointer.

The only time I've talked so much about Kobe is when I have to defend him. I don't see what's wrong with that, since no one else will.

In regards to LBJ, I've already said several times he's one of the best players in the league, if not the best. I just don't like his competitive edge, and his lack of a killer instinct, which shows up in a lot of close game situations. Honestly, the last time I spoke bad about LeBron before this previous post was the Chicago and Miami game where he didn't do much in the last few minutes of the game.

The only thing I dislike about LBJ outside his game is how he showboats himself in front of the media. Both Kobe and LBJ are cocky, but in different areas. Kobe shows it more in the game, while LBJ shows it both in his game and in the public. I wouldn't hang out with either person though. I'd probably be more suited to chill with Gasol.

Durant, Rose, Wade, and CP3 all display that competitive edge in their games, which is fun to see. However, you don't see these guys showboating to the media as well.

I'm mad.

On a side note...how does that not warrant a fine? I'm sure he's saying some unnecessary words LOL.

Nike.

Smash Hero

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Two of those were playoff intros, while two of those were season intros lol.

2008 Terrence Howard da bes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9unFBt-ni2A
2010: The one with Justin Timberlake and Jamie Foxx rofl rofl fail.
2011: ???

Nike you didn't like the Chess theme? I was digging it a lot. The only thing I found funny was how at the end when they show Kobe, Pierce, and LeBron...it ended up being Kobe vs Dwight LOL.

Maaan: Who are your top 5 NBA players?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I like the Chess analogy. It works well, and I never would have thought of it in comparison to Basketball before TNT had done it.

You saw the 2011 TNT intro right? I'm gonna have to wait until it's on youtube. Please tell me it wasn't as bad as last year's Timberlake and Foxx or the talking Ball from the NBA promos.

Nike.

Smash Hero
TD was fantastic. RJ played with a great energy and that's it.

The biggest disappointment me so far: Tony, Hill and Dice. Dice looks dead there. DB with a lot of mistakes but playing with a great energy. Dice should pick some of this energy and play harder and smarter.

We didn't play well and are only down 2. If TP/Hill wake we'll win.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've said to myself that Memphis will steal one game in SA, and when Manu comes back in time for Game 3, they will finish the series off at worst 4-2

Lmao, this guy's post on the ESPN boards came out of no where.

"Manu starts his day off each morning flailing and flopping his way out of bed onto the floor. He proceeds to flail and flop his way into the kitchen and throw his breakfast cereal all over the house while attempting to eat it. On his way to the gym each morning he flings his car off a cliff. Then he practices basketball flinging, flailing, and flopping his way to 20 points, 5 rebounds. Goes home and flops around on his wife and falls asleep"

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Not gonna get into the whole LBJ vs Kobe debate right now it's a waste of energy. Bottom line is that most basketball players really can't be seen as role models outside of the basketball court as much as we wish they could.

But who cares about that! Pacers nearly upset the Bulls AT Chicago, 76'ers nearly upset the Heat AT Miami, Portland came close to beating the Mavs AT Dallas, and the Hawks actually upset the Magic AT Orlando!

These first games have been incredible.

BTW top 5 players are-
1.LBJ
2.Howard
3.Wade
4.Kobe
5.Rose

Rose hasen't proven enough in the playoffs yet. The ECF (if the Bulls make it) will determine his fate IMO.

Top Bottom