• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Still waiting for the TNT promo.

NBA already screwed their promos up. They went from the auto tune commercials to a talking basketball LOL.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
PLAYOFF PREDICTION TIME

What do you guys think? Post your own!

* = the series could go either way or that I'm unsure of myself

Eastern Conference

Round 1

Chicago Bulls vs Indiana Pacers (Bulls win 4-0)

Miami Heat vs Philadelphia 76'ers (Heat win 4-1)

Boston Celtics vs New York Knicks (Celtics win 4-2)

Orlando Magic vs Atlanta Hawks (Magic win 4-1)

Round 2

Chicago Bulls vs Orlando Magic (Bulls win 4-2)

Miami Heat vs Boston Celtics (Heat win 4-2) *

Eastern Conference Finals

Chicago Bulls vs Miami Heat (Heat win 4-3) *

Western Conference

Round 1

San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (Spurs win 4-2)

Los Angeles Lakers vs New Orleans Hornets (Lakers win 4-1)

Dallas Mavericks vs Portland Trail Blazers (Blazers win 4-3) *

OKC Thunder vs Denver Nuggets (Thunder win 4-2)

Round 2

San Antonio Spurs vs OKC Thunder (Thunder win 4-3) *

Los Angeles Lakers vs Portland Trail Blazers (Lakers win 4-2)

Western Conference Finals

Los Angeles Lakers vs OKC Thunder (Lakers win 4-3) *

The Finals

Miami Heat vs Los Angeles Lakers (Heat win 4-3) *

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll post my bracket soon. It's sort of similar to yours TRG, but with the other side winning.

In any case, if anyone is down for some skype chats and what not during a playoff game or two, I'll be available. Definitely be interested in the Boston vs Knicks, Mavs vs Portland, and OKC vs Denver.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
My Predictions:

Eastern Conference

Round 1

Boston Celtics vs New York Knicks (Celtics win 4-1)

Orlando Magic vs Atlanta Hawks (Magic win 4-3)

Round 2

Chicago Bulls vs Orlando Magic (Bulls win 4-2)

Miami Heat vs Boston Celtics (Boston win 4-2)

Chicago Bulls vs Boston Celtics (Boston wins 4-3)

Western Conference

Round 1

San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (Spurs win 4-1)

Los Angeles Lakers vs New Orleans Hornets (Lakers win 4-0)

Dallas Mavericks vs Portland Trail Blazers (Dallas win 4-3)

Round 2

San Antonio Spurs vs OKC Thunder (Thunder win 4-2)

Los Angeles Lakers vs Dallas Mavericks (Lakers win 4-1)

Los Angeles Lakers vs OKC Thunder (Lakers win 4-3)

The Finals

Boston Celtics vs Los Angeles Lakers (Boston win 4-3)

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Those Avatars are bad ***! :urg: Too bad I can't rep the Pistons.

Anyways here is my bracket.

Eastern Conference
Round 1
Bulls over Pacers 4-0
Heat over 76ers 4-1
Celtics over Knicks4-2
Magic over Hawks 4-0

Round 2
Bulls over Magic 4-2
Heat over Celtics 4-3

Bulls over Heat 4-2

Western Conference

Round 1
Spurs over Grizzlies 4-1
Lakers over Hornets 4-2
Mavs over Trail Blazers 4-3
Thunder over Nuggets 4-2

Round 2
Spurs over Thunder 4-3
Lakers over Mavs 4-3

Spurs over Lakers 4-1

Championship
Bulls over Spurs 4-2

RATED

Smash Lord
I just want to see a Thunders vs Bulls Finals. That's just me "dreaming" , I hope it happens.

I'll be happy though if Thunders vs Lakers happens and the series end 4-3 at any of those wins.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
Good God Nike, these avatars are siiiiiick.

I don't know if I ever said, but I don't make playoff predictions. lol
This isn't college, the system is more personal to me. XD

That said, I see:
Spurs over Grizzlies
Lakers over Hornets
Blazers over Mavericks
Thunder over Nuggets

Bulls over Pacers
Heat over 76ers
Knicks over Celtics
Magic over Hawks

Jane

Smash Hero
for me its:

Spurs over Grizzlies
Lakers over Hornets
Mavs over Blazers
Nuggies over Thunder

Bulls over Pacers
Heat over 76ers
Celtics over Knicks
Magic over Hawks

then..

Bulls over Magic
Celtics over Heat

Bulls over Celtics

Spurs over Nuggies
Lakers over Mavs

Spurs over Lakers

aand...

Bulls over Spurs

:D

theeboredone

Smash Legend
West:

Lakers > Hornets (4-1): Lakers 3-0'd them in the season. Hard to win 7 straight.

Mavs > Portland (4-3): Games will be close, but Portland will fall more often.

Spurs > Memphis (4-2): Subject to change depending on Ginobili's health.

OKC > Denver (4-2): Denver will be needing that super star player, and no one can stop Westbrook.

East:

Boston > NY (4-2): Knicks will never win under Dantoni

Miami > Sixers (4-1): Miami beats them in almost every position.

Chicago > Pacers (4-0): Terrible matchup for the Pacers.

Orlando > Atlanta (4-2): I know Orlando lost the season series to them, but Orlando also demolished them last year in the playoffs. No one can stop Dwight on their team.

That's it. I won't go into second round, conference finals, and finals. Just wait for it to happen and I'll give my predictions.

Only one I feel shaky about is Mavs vs Portland. My hunch tells me Mavs will beat Portland 4-2, but I'll just go with the popular pick.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You know what makes basketball my favorite sport?

The fact that I can watch a montage of this year's highlights, and remember them all fondly. I can watch highlights of stuff from 5-10 years ago, and still remember the play, and how cool it was.

The fact that there was a Jordan commercial a while back, where he's walking by young kids playing pick-up basketball, and each kid is doing a different highlight that he's famous for.

There's no sport like it, where every single player has a style you can emulate, or a trait you can identify in their game.

After an NBA game, players shrink, on average, 2 inches from their shins being pressed on so hard from the force of running and jumping. That's how rough the game is. When you're tired, you dig deeper.

My favorite quote about defense from an old coach: "Your only job is to make him remember you as a mother****er."

One play can change the complexion of a series. One made shot can change careers.

I'm ready for the playoffs. :D

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
You know what sucks most about being the Rockets? They didn't even suck enough to get good draft pick.

That, and they would've been the 6th seed in the East. XD

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I feel like there's going to be one upset in the first round, and my instincts tell me it's going to be Portland > Dallas. A LOT of Portland fans are very confident going up against Dallas and really feel as if their team has the greatest chance of winning against the Mavs as opposed to any of the other top 5 Western Conference teams.

EDIT: Seems as if the general consensus is that everyone thinks the Lakers are the most likely to win it all this year (as expected), followed by Chicago, and then 3rd is the Heat (surprised by this).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The only thing I have against Portland beating Dallas is two things.

1. Dallas got embarrassed last year with a first round exit, so no repeat here.

2. Two of the games they lost against Portland were when they were sucking.

All in all, both teams are playing much better now, so it should be an exciting series. Dirk always gets his, so it's gonna be up to his teammates once again. I guess this is where they miss having Butler.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
For optimal running, you're supposed to run on the exact center of your foot, and landing is done heel first. Not quite as much as Wade does though.

It gives your foot less muscle resistance as you're running. However: Running on the front of your foot is better for jumping and getting more bounce in general. It's just more fatiguing. :\

I could never run on my heels like Wade does, I'm always on the ball of my foot. It would just feel weird to me. :O

I'd be interested to learn more about how running styles affect injuries though. That's cool.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
That read was interesting I never knew Wade had a tendency to run on his heels... Is that really true? There's no way that can be good for his knees and/or ankles.

I can't believe I'm even saying this but unfortunately I'm going to miss the very first playoff game the Heat have tomorrow thanks to prom. I'm going to ask my dad to record the game and watch it on Sunday instead so you guys most likely won't see me online until then.

tko112

Smash Lord
not only am i the only one w/o one of those avis, but i haven't made a prediction yet, until now

Eastern Conference

Round 1

Boston Celtics vs New York Knicks (Celtics win 4-1)

Orlando Magic vs Atlanta Hawks (Magic win 4-1)

Round 2

Chicago Bulls vs Orlando Magic (Bulls win 4-3)

Miami Heat vs Boston Celtics (Boston win 4-2)

Chicago Bulls vs Boston Celtics (Chicago wins 4-3)

Western Conference

Round 1

San Antonio Spurs vs Memphis Grizzlies (Spurs win 4-2)

Los Angeles Lakers vs New Orleans Hornets (Lakers win 4-0)

Dallas Mavericks vs Portland Trail Blazers (Dallas win 4-3)

Round 2

San Antonio Spurs vs OKC Thunder (Spurs win 4-3)

Los Angeles Lakers vs Dallas Mavericks (Lakers win 4-1)

Los Angeles Lakers vs San Antonio Spurs (Lakers win 4-2)

The Finals

Chicago Bulls vs Los Angeles Lakers (Lakers win 4-2)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm gonna be playing some hoops tomorrow, so I'm gonna take a look at how I run. I couldn't figure it out in my head. I think I do stay on the balls of my feet, but when I get tired, it's more of a drag and I tend to become flat footed. But not like Wade, I just land on my toes, and then my whole foot comes flat.

Also, I wonder where Ron Artest fits into this grand scheme of how to run. His style is weird as well.

Also, I see no point in recording a playoff game...doesn't mean much if it ain't live. Unless you just wanna skim through the highlights lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Also, I see no point in recording a playoff game...doesn't mean much if it ain't live. Unless you just wanna skim through the highlights lol.
It's their first playoff game I wanna see everything that happens... Every shot missed every player on the floor and most importantly how "tuned in" the Heat are. I'm almost positive they will win tomorrow but I just wanna see how they look. It's their very first playoff game as the new look Heat so this is a big deal for me! lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I sat through about a 3 hour Bill Simmons podcast. He had Marc Stein, Henry Abbott, John Hollinger, Ric Bucher, JA Adande, and other analysts come down to talk about the playoffs. This is what I got out of it.

West: Top 2 favorites in order are Lakers and Thunder. Portland upsetting Mavs is no longer an upset, because everyone is picking that.

East: Chicago will come out of the East. They are not like the Cavs of the past few years apparently. Boston and Heat will be neck and neck.

As far as questions of the playoffs go...

Miami: Wade's wear and tear. How often him and LBJ will attack the rim in late game situations. Bosh being the X-factor

Boston: Shaq, the Perkins trade, Rondo's effectiveness.

Chicago: Do they have another gear? Every team turns it up a notch, but it seems like Chicago has always been playing on Gear 5 the whole season.

West:

Lakers: Kobe thinks he's better than what he actually is. Will he shoot his team out of the playoffs?

Mavs: Dirk is the best player on the court, but Portland has the next best 4.

Spurs: Manu's health, and the reason for Memphis tanking so they could face them.

OKC: Can anyone stop Westbrook and Durant? How effective will Perkins be against the Spurs/Lakers?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
If Chicago can turn it up another notch in the playoffs I'll be pretty scared... I don't see it happening though.

And I do think the Thunder can beat the Spurs. I agree with pretty much everything.

EDIT: Wow look at this BS. Ric Bucher is a joke.

LeBron, Wade, Kobe, and Howard are ALL better than Rose... And I'd say Durant and Melo are just as good if not better... Has Rose even done anything significant yet??

EDIT2: FANTASTIC news for the Heat! Udonis Haslem might be ready to go by round 2 if the Heat make it! I'd take a Haslem with a slightly sore foot > old *** Howard any day. This is great!

Smash Master
Miami's playing well right now, but they've been so up and down all season, I'm not buying that they're a fundamentally better team than they were. I think they lose to Boston in 5/6, leaning towards 5.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Hard to believe how much of an effect Haslem will have. Coming back from foot injury, not sure where his shot will be, along with banging around with the bigs. I'm a bit skeptical...

Boston won't win in 5 lol. That's an insult to Miami's big 3. It will go 6 for sure.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Have you not seen how much old man Howard sucks? I don't want him on the court at all. >.<

Anyways... Here comes the playoffs. May the best team win it all guys! I'll be back online tomorrow (Sunday).

Top Bottom