• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What is it with the Palace and brawls?

Edit: For Charlie V to get off like that, I'm guessing there was some "cancer" insult thrown in...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I've never gotten into a heated argument like that before. Always playing peace maker, even if I get pushed. If the **** is still going on, I just give up and walk off and have a convo with some hot chick in the stands.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
There's something about that smile that he had on his face that makes me lose all sympathy for CV wanting to kill him.

I've stared at it for like a minute straight it's really bothering me. :mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
This is why I wish I had a troll face mask. I'd get into a heated debate, and instead of that smug, I'd put on my troll face mask.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Man, the Lakers are just sucking right now. Everyone says that they get their mojo on during the playoffs, and I mostly believe them.... but I've just had this sinking feeling for a long while now, unlike what I've felt in the past two years. I'm calling second round out for them, although who knows what could happen either way in the end.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's all on Kobe. If he decides to put away his ego like he did in Game 7, and let Gasol and Bynum handle a lot of the offensive duties, they win it all...if he tries to play hero, they will lose down the road.

Interestingly enough though, I have Gasol or Bynum as my Finals MVP if they meet Heat in the Finals. However, if they meet Boston or Chicago, I have Kobe.

Also, lol at Shaq.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHCnisfMIjk

I've watched this a bunch of times, but realized I never shared it here. Of course Odom would be the one to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4seZN-Fv6wI

Gotta love Kobe's reaction. He's like "Wait what? Huh? WHY?"

More Odom shenanigans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82CxSmn2cik

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkK1HWyHtrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gj0achocYY

theeboredone

Smash Legend
....Our season just might have ended tonight. Bynum had an ugly fall and stayed down for a bit before walking off into the locker room. Pray to god there's no tear.

They are calling it a hyper extension. MRI tomorrow. Now I REALLY hope LA matches up with the Hornets, so Bynum can take his time recovering.

Barnes knee has swelled up again. That's why he's not playing.

Steve Blake has chicken pox.

Shannon Brown thinks he's Ray Allen.

Result = No bench.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So lame. I won't even be able to sleep on this. Gotta wake up at 8, so I'll be constantly checking for updates on my phone .-.

Wow, here's another small concern.

Steve Blake is suffering from chicken pox. Kobe, Artest, and Bynum have never had chicken pox. Therefore, all 3 can be susceptible to chicken pox. Symptoms start to show within 2 weeks of acquiring...

Quite frankly, I don't think I would be depressed if Lakers didn't make it to the Finals if 2/3 of those guys got chicken pox.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Final Day Playoff Scenarios

Hornets vs. Mavs
Memphis vs. Clippers
Bucks vs. Thunder
Lakers vs. Kings

Memphis win, Hornets lose = Memphis 7th, Hornets 8th
Hornets win OR Memphis lose = Hornets 7th, Memphis 8th

Mavs win, Lakers win / Mavs lose, Thunder lose = Lakers 2nd, Mavs 3rd, Thunder 4th
Mavs win, Lakers lose = Mavs 2nd, Lakers 3rd, Thunder 4th
Mavs lose, Thunder win = Lakers 2nd, Thunder 3rd, Mavs 4th

no confirmed match-ups in the West going into the final day

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Speaking of Hornets, NBA needs to come back to Vancouver. Just sayin.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
What's everyone's take on Kobe's apparent gay slur? He called the ref a...well to not censor it here, "effin gaggot".

Personally, I think people are overreacting just like they did with KG's cancer insult. What's annoying is players do it all the time, and it just happened that the camera was on Kobe when he said it.

What's worse is people are calling him homophobic now.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Saw on ESPN an hour ago that he replied with basically a "Guys, don't take that seriously. I don't have anything against gays or lesbians, I said that at a furstrating moment in the heat of the game."

Yea, people are def over reacting lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I sometimes call people or situations "gay" as an insult just like stupid or dumb...

Same thing goes with the word "*******." Just people over-reacting over nothing.

Will make playoff bracket after tonights games.

Maaaaaaaaaan

Smash Lord
NNID
Maaaaaaaaaan
TRG, that was gay. :p

Yeah, it's all over-reaction. People are unnecessarily sensitive these days. Kobe was way too aggressive last night though, too many dumb fouls.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
What first round matchups (or even potential ones) are you guys looking forward to the most?

I can't decide between OKC/Denver and Boston/New York. But if I had to choose one I'd probably have to be biased and say Boston/New York since I'll be sizing up the Celtics the whole time while seeing if New York is a serious team to look out for in the upcoming years or if they're just a wannabe Miami Heat team.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
What first round matchups (or even potential ones) are you guys looking forward to the most?

I can't decide between OKC/Denver and Boston/New York. But if I had to choose one I'd probably have to be biased and say Boston/New York since I'll be sizing up the Celtics the whole time while seeing if New York is a serious team to look out for in the upcoming years or if they're just a wannabe Miami Heat team.
I'm with you TRG on the first round matchups. Boston vs. New York is the only real intriging series in the East while in the West it is basically Denver vs whoever get the 4th seed between Dallas and Oklahoma City. I guess whoever plays Portland might be interesting as well.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
$100,000 are you serious???

Stuff like "*aggot" is said all the time on the court! Only difference is that TNT decided to zoom in on an obviously frustrated player. Talk about ridiculous.

Best argument I've read- "This wouldn't have made any headlines if he called the ref a **ssy or a *itch. Sexist slurs have become an accepted part of our language (they're not even censored on here). We obviously don't mean we hate women when we call someone one of those terms. However, when we call someone a f***** we obviously hate gays."

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I'm really pissed all about this. That's not even right man. Athletes in general are NOT Role Models. You would think a guy like Steve Nash is clean, but even he's had problems in his personal life. A guy can be classy, but you hear curse words get slipped on national tv all the time, cause of so many mics being placed. Here's one example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOzQnwhqFE

Everyone says sexual slurs, sexist slurs, and just insults in general. I slip "gay" all the time, but I have never been big on cussing. It's not in me. With that being said, I don't take it seriously if someone calls another a "b-itch"

TRG, that argument you read is dead on. Some Gay and Lesbian community was hating on Kobe so much, it was just causing me to shake my head.

And I thought Kobe got bagged on pretty hard for the whole CoD commercial. Smh.

I guess in general, whether it's athletes, politicians, or celebrities...you just gotta be careful with what you say because you're always in front of the media. Once again though, it doesn't make it right because emotions always get heavy. ESPECIALLY in Sports.

Anyways, glad to see Bynum is all and well. Now go Hornets/Clippers!

Actually, I'd like to retract my statement. If OKC wins and Mavs lose, OKC moves up to third seed. Let's go Mavs/Clippers!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
LOL Eddie House has 35 points against the Raptors right now.

I'm glad to see the Heat can still win a game without their top 5 players playing at all (Big 3, Halsem, and Mike Miller are resting).

EDIT: The Miami Heat in their very first regular season with the new look Big 3 are 58-24 with the 3rd best record in the NBA and tied with Dallas for the most road game wins. Before the season started I thought that would have been a failure but looking back at all of the injuries/criticism/terrible stretches this team has had, I can honestly say I'm very proud. The Heat are gonna be good for a long time... And this was just the beginning. I can guarantee they'll be even better next year if they can get healthy again.

BUT ENOUGH OF THE SMALL TALK!!! IT'S TIME FOR THE PLAYOFFS MOTHER ******S!!! :mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ginobili hyper extended his elbow. Not sure which elbow though. Not sure how long he will be out. That sucks.

Isn't it amazing what ending a slump can do? It's like as if the teams become much better again...

Miami Heat lose 5 straight games, then go on a tear.
Spurs lose 5 straight games, finish strong.
Mavs lose 5 straight games, finish strong.
Lakers lose 5 straight games, are on their way to finish the season pretty well.

tko112

Smash Lord
what sucks about the Lakers-Kings game is that this may be the last time the Kings play in Sacramento

the organization is thinking about moving the Kings to Anaheim, which is kind of stupid, I mean three So-Cal teams

there are already two teams in L.A., why go to Anaheim when they know everybody loses if they get the o.k. to move

if they do move to Anaheim, the L.A teams may lose up to $8 million, at least that's what I heard

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, with all the sponsors and contracts the Kings may get in Anaheim...they would make more money sadly.

I swear to god, Lakers are total drama queens. Up 20 start of 4th courtesy of Kobe, bench falters. LA scores only 11 in the fourth with Kobe going 1/7 (game tying 3), and then he heats up again in OT and they decide to play D.

Bill Simmons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdJ0OK9xBgo&t=0m53s

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Alright! the playoffs officially start this weekend finally! 40 Games in 40 Nights. I'll have my bracket made up later.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Still kind of irked how TNT will get exclusive coverage of the ECF. I think the West might be exclusive to ESPN/ABC. The drama promos are way too epic.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
These avatars are sick! :D

Lets all make playoff brackets soon. Mine should be coming shortly. Gotta try on this new tux for prom this weekend!

Top Bottom