• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
I'm not a huge doubles watcher but tweek making banjo work as a teammate is pretty cool

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Now for a message sponsored by the Banjo Brothers Bear collective.

Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best. Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best. Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best. Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best. Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best. Whiiiiiich Baaanjo Brooooothers Beeear is beeeeeest. Which Banjo Brothers Bear is best.

(I got that song stuck in my head)

For those unfamiliar, I apologize in advance.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So is “poor souls” in reference to something? That was what I was thinking, but I can’t remember.
No. I remember someone saying that the word Sakurai used to describe the characters was just poor people. I think the poor souls was a translators pick just to reference Sans. I don't think Sakurai himself was hinting at anything.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So is “poor souls” in reference to something? That was what I was thinking, but I can’t remember.
I don't think it's referencing anything in particular. I think it's just a running joke about how strangely dark Banjo-Kazooie can get. Gruntilda is left to rot under a boulder for years, Banjo's friend Bottles dies in the beginning of the second game, if a player exits the first game, they are given a Game Over screen where the villain succeeds and Tooty is disfigured. Even the jinjo's are described as "imprisoned". There's a lot of sinister undertones to an otherwise bright and happy game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think it's referencing anything in particular. I think it's just a running joke about how strangely dark Banjo-Kazooie can get. Gruntilda is left to rot under a boulder for years, Banjo's friend Bottles dies in the beginning of the second game, if a player exits the first game, they are given a Game Over screen where the villain succeeds and Tooty is disfigured. Even the jinjo's are described as "imprisoned". There's a lot of sinister undertones to an otherwise bright and happy game.
Putting aside their black sense of humor (heck, just look at their DKC and 64 games, those also have traumatizing game over screens), Rare in general seems to have something for the older crowd in their games so that that part of the gamer audience isn't excluded. Even Battletoads had this, by having an arcade game (Super Battletoads) in which the bloodless nature of the console installments is chucked out by letting you drill into enemies and decapitate Karnath.

Then again, BK has a bit of a fairy tale vibe to it, especially if you know about the original, brutal versions of said fairy tales.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Did you Know Gaming? discovered a few secrets of our duo!

There was going to be a cartoon! I repeat, Banjo & Kazooie were set to have a cartoon series!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah Banjo Kazooie could get dark like the crabs in TTC you ground pound them & they break into pieces with a death cry & fleshy sounds as the body parts bounce around. simalar things happend to other bad guys as well lol

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Putting aside their black sense of humor (heck, just look at their DKC and 64 games, those also have traumatizing game over screens), Rare in general seems to have something for the older crowd in their games so that that part of the gamer audience isn't excluded. Even Battletoads had this, by having an arcade game (Super Battletoads) in which the bloodless nature of the console installments is chucked out by letting you drill into enemies and decapitate Karnath.

Then again, BK has a bit of a fairy tale vibe to it, especially if you know about the original, brutal versions of said fairy tales.
Yeah Banjo Kazooie could get dark like the crabs in TTC you ground pound them & they break into pieces with a death cry & fleshy sounds as the body parts bounce around. simalar things happend to other bad guys as well lol
Which is why I like Banjo-Kazooie so much--it's multidimensional, in more ways than it's graphics, giving stuff for kids and adults alike to enjoy, and the disappointment in not continuing after Tooie is losing that type of 3D platformer. The inappropriateness, the dark humor and implied violence, the innuendos, some of which are pretty overt (e.g., one of Gruntilda's "party tricks", Terrydactyland's landmass). They really tried their best to differentiate themselves from the more idealistic Super Mario, in both gameplay and content, and I'd like that to continue if they move the series forward.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Banjo_1.jpeg
Here is another alt banjo could of had back when they had him doing skateboarder like jumps lol he was going to have a hat & shoes

Banjo_BB_One.jpg
Also this is why banjo has a small head in smash he went to TTC & entered a small head cheat code just like he could use a big head cheatcode this is now my headcannon

C3CC

Smash Lord
I usually tell people who are new to the game that they should choose Mario or Kirby to learn the basic movements.

I love how I can also tell them to use Banjo & Kazooie.

One thing that disappoints me, though, is that there's no Click Clock Wood or Jinjo Village in the music selection. Oh well. I'm happy with the rest.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I usually tell people who are new to the game that they should choose Mario or Kirby to learn the basic movements.

I love how I can also tell them to use Banjo & Kazooie.
Cloud is also meant to be beginner-friendly, but yeah, BK is still a good idea.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
What do you guys think the Banjo-Kazooie cartoon would've been like?
It's impossible to tell since it hasn't existed. Still, the potential is there for an ongoing cartoon since the world has leaps and bounds of material, that said assuming it came out in the 90s it would have been more episodic than story driven, something that might be different if it miraculously happened now. All I know is that it would have to have that proper touch of British dark comedy and wit, and maaaybe a bit of subtle vulgarity to really nail what we all love about Banjo & Kazooie. Anything less than just under the comedic brilliance of Monty Python (But of course doing better than that would be great, if possible.) would be a massive disservice to the franchise.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What do you guys think the Banjo-Kazooie cartoon would've been like?
I don't know what it would be like, but I've had some ideas what I would like to see. I'd like to see a lot of stories parodying fairy tales, given the subversive fairy tale vibe of the games--more mature than a typical cartoon, but still family friendly (think Shrek). Expand Banjo & Kazooie's house and make them into a wacky odd couple type dynamic, as well as surrounding areas so we can see more of the community that exists within that world (in the first game, Spiral Mountain seems fairly claustrophobic being just Banjo and Kazooie and Grunty... and sometimes Bottles).

Gruntilda would be a Claw-like villain that is mostly behind the scenes, using her magic to conjure up supernatural-based villains for each episode (maybe that would be mixed with a little bit of Rita from Power Rangers). I think her major motivation would be to get revenge on the duo for foiling her plans, while finding ineffective ways to make her more beautiful. Bottles would work as an expositional character, and Mumbo Jumbo would at the end of some episodes transform Banjo into a wacky and dysfunctional transformation based on the theme of the episode, that ends up helping them to defeat the enemy in the end. One gag could be transforming them into a really good transformation, that ends up reverting back to themselves, to their disappointment.

It's hard to really see how an animated series could work, though--hearing them voiced would be jarring, but their type of dialogue box based interactions wouldn't work for a show. I'd go with the former, and I'd still be for it if the show was really good.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Tweek went B&K against Dark Wizzy (widely regarded as the best Mario) in top 16 of Glitch 7, and managed a hard fought win.

Tweek looked overjoyed to clinch that win. Seeing the Bear and Bird in big tournaments will never not be surreal. I hope he keeps playing them.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's impossible to tell since it hasn't existed. Still, the potential is there for an ongoing cartoon since the world has leaps and bounds of material, that said assuming it came out in the 90s it would have been more episodic than story driven, something that might be different if it miraculously happened now. All I know is that it would have to have that proper touch of British dark comedy and wit, and maaaybe a bit of subtle vulgarity to really nail what we all love about Banjo & Kazooie. Anything less than just under the comedic brilliance of Monty Python (But of course doing better than that would be great, if possible.) would be a massive disservice to the franchise.
In terms of tone, I'd say an approach similar to the Earthworm Jim cartoon would have worked, seeing as that even broke the fourth wall with impunity. Definitely not far off.

When being asked by Banjo why he can't get a big enough form, I could see Mumbo blame the animators not having enough budget left for it, for instance

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Tweek went B&K against Dark Wizzy (widely regarded as the best Mario) in top 16 of Glitch 7, and managed a hard fought win. (I'd post the video, but there's no way it's up yet)
Tweek looked overjoyed to clinch that win. Seeing the Bear and Bird in big tournaments will never not be surreal. I hope he keeps playing them.
It was so nail-biting watching it live. I don't think Banjo & Kazooie are top tier, so seeing Tweek over time train Banjo & Kazooie into a competitively viable character was so great to see--and especially choosing Banjo & Kazooie over Pokemon Trainer, a top tier character he is more familiar, was heartwarming. He probably could have easily won with Pokemon Trainer, but he took the risk to give Banjo & Kazooie a chance to shine, and I'm thankful for that.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I don't know what it would be like, but I've had some ideas what I would like to see. I'd like to see a lot of stories parodying fairy tales, given the subversive fairy tale vibe of the games--more mature than a typical cartoon, but still family friendly (think Shrek). Expand Banjo & Kazooie's house and make them into a wacky odd couple type dynamic, as well as surrounding areas so we can see more of the community that exists within that world (in the first game, Spiral Mountain seems fairly claustrophobic being just Banjo and Kazooie and Grunty... and sometimes Bottles).

Gruntilda would be a Claw-like villain that is mostly behind the scenes, using her magic to conjure up supernatural-based villains for each episode (maybe that would be mixed with a little bit of Rita from Power Rangers). I think her major motivation would be to get revenge on the duo for foiling her plans, while finding ineffective ways to make her more beautiful. Bottles would work as an expositional character, and Mumbo Jumbo would at the end of some episodes transform Banjo into a wacky and dysfunctional transformation based on the theme of the episode, that ends up helping them to defeat the enemy in the end. One gag could be transforming them into a really good transformation, that ends up reverting back to themselves, to their disappointment.

It's hard to really see how an animated series could work, though--hearing them voiced would be jarring, but their type of dialogue box based interactions wouldn't work for a show. I'd go with the former, and I'd still be for it if the show was really good.
I love that idea!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I always imagined at Spiral Mountain was just a small valley in an otherwise much bigger land where more known for being where Grunty is from than Banjo. Banjo and Tootie just so happened upon an alcove in that area and built a home there, very unwisely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Edit: Well, the amiibo theory was already dead. This is just plain desecrating its corpse.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...eet_date_as_unreleased_amiibo_appear_in_store

I always imagined at Spiral Mountain was just a small valley in an otherwise much bigger land where more known for being where Grunty is from than Banjo. Banjo and Tootie just so happened upon an alcove in that area and built a home there, very unwisely.
That's plausible. Heck, the whole island was basically owned by the witches (quite forcibly, at that).

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
My heart no longer hurts when I see Banjo w/ the Nintendo gang

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm currently trying to get better with the bear and bird. Not maining them yet, because I don't feel confident enough to pull them in tournaments, even more so when Yoshi has, in the last two locals I attended, led me to my best placements since I joined the competitive scene.

Even so, they're shaping up to be a great secondary or pocket pick for me, worst case scenario.

Ah, one more thing. I didn't forget about my last Tooie posts. Life has been weird for me these last few weeks.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'm currently trying to get better with the bear and bird. Not maining them yet, because I don't feel confident enough to pull them in tournaments
Grenade Eggs are key; you control the terrain with them. Pop one on the ground, you know they're going over it so FAir them. Pop one up on a platform on Battlefield, hit them with a few eggs and corner them

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Grenade Eggs are key; you control the terrain with them. Pop one on the ground, you know they're going over it so FAir them. Pop one up on a platform on Battlefield, hit them with a few eggs and corner them
Yeah, either that or air grab on the grenade after a double jump. Depending on the matchup, you can also use the grenade after a single jump and mix it up with back air to cover options, since it has a decent range.

It's just that I felt one week was too little practice between their release and the tournaments I went through. Will probably try popping them at my locals next month, though.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Craig Duncan never acknowledged our duo's return. His old interview is outdated. :) Fans want the BK remaster and Microsoft has the say on weather it should happen.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Not remotely related, but:

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1173933085345406976

Sony sure have immediately yanked away Sunset Overdrive from its Xbox exclusivity status.
This is the probably somewhat the closest similarity to what happened to Rare that I can think of in recent memory regarding buyouts, But to a lesser extent seeing how Insomniac Games has always been independent ,But strongly associated with Sony (Spyro the Dragon and Ratchet & Clank) as most of their input has been all Playstation exclusive.

It's common with 3rd Party developers, But You don't really see many 2nd Party developers that exclusively work with one competitor or another (Even if it's temporarily) and get bought out while taken their IP with them. That's why the Rareware buyout was so unorthodox and interesting because they were so strongly associated with Nintendo and you never really see business scenarios play out that certain way.

Imagine if it was the other way around and Microsoft bought out Insomniac Games and acquired the rights to Ratchet & Clank, I would imagine that Sony would still retain the rights, But you get the idea.

Last edited:

Oz o:

Smash Journeyman
I've mentioned I've been wanting to make a combo video, but it's really hard to actually beat (or even compare) to Tweek's version. I know it apparently isn't a good comparison, considering he's Top 2-3 in the world, but I'm fairly confident I can learn a few of those tricks, and even some of my own. The stuff I got so far is fairly basic, nothing fancy. Been labbing a ton with grenades since I got him, last week. I seldom try stealing things from other people. I try to get most stuff on my own, but I stole the Nair dragdown from Tweek (apparently not even his discovery).

The only thing I'll do better than Tweek is get better music.

Last edited:
View attachment 238588 saw this picture & found it funny so here enjoy (waluigi looks so sad & defeated)
Bear and Bird giving Waluigi the ol Ridley poke and prod.

Don't know if mentioned but that forward tilt (was it the beak barge, or is that the down tilt? Can't remember) can be angled up and down, like K. Rools forward smash.

And that merchandise throwback, only reminds us and reinforces the romantasicsm of Banjo and Kazooie's inclusion and how beloved they are. Its easy for the resident nuffies who were crapping their diapers in the late 90s (based on post quality of some, some semblance of crap remains!) to make baseless comments and say that they were forgotten and another non memorable mascot, but with all that's out there media-wise and how they were presented, BK were considered as close to first party characters (in their circumstances) back then as you could get. And they were treated as such.

They really got the red carpet treatment in the late 90s due to the quality of their games overall marketability and are looked back rather fondly. A few of many reasons why they're in Smash.

I also love Banjos facial expressions on some moves, he looks so happy to be there, it's very cute and wholesome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom