• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
:ultdiddy: is racing again!

...In Mario Kart Tour.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...th_a_return_to_mario_kart_after_11_years_away

Really? Mario Kart 8 DX somehow isn't good enough to add him in? The devs for those games really need a shakeup in their staff in regards to decision making.
I can see why people reacted with terror when Sakurai said that Nintendo participated in the Fighter Pass roster, particularly if you look at their Mario Kart picks. Some of their roster choices are downright bizarre, tone-deaf and random, and some picks feel like they are intentionally trolling fans. All the baby characters, but making new ones like baby Rosalina and Daisy instead of established ones like DK and Wario from the Yoshi series. The metals palette swaps (Pink Gold Peach may be one of the dumbest ideas for any roster) with somehow Metal Mario being crazy popular in Japan (WHY??). And just some additions where you think they are intentionally ignoring fan favorites to spite fans or adding characters just to look surprising. A honey bee being added for one. It gets even more frustrating since they have so many established characters from multiple universes connect to mario alone that they can use. Mario, DK, Yoshi, Mario RPGS, Wario. Why not use those characters like K Rool, Mona, Kamek, Geno, Pauline instead of metallic color swap or random NPC number 23?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can see why people reacted with terror when Sakurai said that Nintendo participated in the Fighter Pass roster, particularly if you look at their Mario Kart picks. Some of their roster choices are downright bizarre, tone-deaf and random, and some picks feel like they are intentionally trolling fans. All the baby characters, but making new ones like baby Rosalina and Daisy instead of established ones like DK and Wario from the Yoshi series. The metals palette swaps (Pink Gold Peach may be one of the dumbest ideas for any roster) with somehow Metal Mario being crazy popular in Japan (WHY??). And just some additions where you think they are intentionally ignoring fan favorites to spite fans or adding characters just to look surprising. A honey bee being added for one. It gets even more frustrating since they have so many established characters from multiple universes connect to mario alone that they can use. Mario, DK, Yoshi, Mario RPGS, Wario. Why not use those characters like K Rool, Mona, Kamek, Geno, Pauline instead of metallic color swap or random NPC number 23?
I heard that culturally-speaking, Japanese creators are more comfortable using things they made themselves, and not those of others. Naturally, this affects Nintendo's various dev divisions badly in particular at times, but MK's staff is the absolute worst case of displaying this behavior short of Jungle Beat's staff. They even left out Waluigi for one game. The go-to spin-off character that other spin-off departments are otherwise okay with using.

There is a point when avoiding to step on each other's toes goes too far. There's a reason why it wouldn't shock me to see MK9 stuffed with Mario Odyssey costumes.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I heard that culturally-speaking, Japanese creators are more comfortable using things they made themselves, and not those of others. Naturally, this affects Nintendo's various dev divisions badly in particular at times, but MK is the absolute worst case of displaying this behavior short of Jungle Beat's staff. They even left out Waluigi for one game. The go-to spin-off character that other spin-off departments are otherwise okay with using.

There is a point when avoiding to step on each other's toes goes too far.
Meanwhile, Sakurai and his team sometimes do a BETTER job of representing someone else's character in Smash, like Cloud. I still can't get over how on point he is, even down to his magic attack taunt.

It seems as though Nintendo using generic enemies or power ups as playable characters has gotten worse lately, like the Tennis game where a Shy Guy is base but Pauline is DLC or how the Paper mario world is 95% Toads now. Or acting like characters using power ups are somehow their own beings. Metal Mario and Cat Mario? Ironically they didn't use Doctor Mario.

Its just such a waste of spotlight. It could be a perfect opportunity to bring attention to other characters, give them a chance to shine. How do you know that they won't establish a fanbase if you don't give them a chance? I'm sure Vivian or Fawful would be better received than Sky Blue Shy Guy.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Waitaminute waitaminute, what's that render in the thumbnail???
Got a bigger image of it. It seems to be an edited version of their Smash Render. Kazooie looks the same though.

Banjo Kazooie.png

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Waitaminute waitaminute, what's that render in the thumbnail???
fan made, but looks fantastic. i wish banjo was smiling in his smash render, but idgaf since he looks like a clown during his gameplay aha

Last edited:
The thing that kills me are the people who make such certain bold ironclad claims about how definite a character is or isn't to such obnoxious and rude levels, even to the point of making challenges or bets concerning the outcome. None of us work on the game or with Sakurai, so none of us know who will actually be added. But then you still get people who are so sure of a character but also look down and criticise other fanbases about how their character will never hapoen all based on flimsy and debunked fan rules.

Being hopeful declarative is one thing ('I'm pretty sure Banjo will make it' or 'Banjo will be character 73'). But being excessively rude and arrogant for a claim that they have no power over is bizarre and dumb. Basically, how can 'you' (general you) be so arrogant when you are at the whim of someone else, acting like you know what will happen when instead that power to decide was never in your hands in the first place? Its one thing to have an ego in a situation that you can impact, but makes no sense in a situation that you are 100% separated from.

Also, its SmashFAQS. There are users there that strive to look foolish and beg to eat crow.
There are those types in all fandoms and their mediums, makes you wonder how these people function IRL tbh.

It's a game, speculating and discussion is supposed to be fun with minimal to no stress. People still stomp on Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie,etc without realising how happy their inclusions make others.

Its also concerning that SmashFAQS and certain parts of SB at times get very similar. The latter seems to be getting closer to the former in terms of the quality of content and relevance. Think the rise of Discord has had a part to play there.

Everyone is here getting remasters!

Except banjo
Ties into the film remakes and general 90's renaissance we've had across many mediums recently. (TMNT, etc)

Aladdin was a surprisingly solid and fun platofrmer among other heavy hitters in that 16 bit era. Pretty challenging too. And was always haunted by the SNES Lion King's game over/death scene music with the image of SImba slumping to the floor in the dark.

(Theres an even more haunting, inappropriate game over scene in an international release of The Lion King, different to the one i mentioned, but you're going to have to Google that one :p)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Got a bigger image of it. It seems to be an edited version of their Smash Render. Kazooie looks the same though.

I mean, in some ways the fan edit is a bit better. I don't know about their official render--it's growing on me, and Kazooie is perfect. It's just a weird expression for Banjo--he looks uneasy. But I don't care, their in-game model looks beautiful, and I've been enjoying their official render more given how accurately it stays true to their original promotional art.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The Banjo games already got remasters...back in 2008/2009. And you can still play them on Xbox One, with updated graphical fidelity.

As great as the 4J Studios ports/remasters were, they were a bit too future proof for their own good.
All the more reason to re-release them in this day and age on the Switch...which Rare won't do, since running their pirate simulator is more important in their eyes. :rolleyes:

I wish I wasn't right about this.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Usually when I think of "remaster," I think of something like BFBB Rehydrated, not just higher-resolution graphics.

So, we'd get Banjo & Kazooie with updated models that include loads more polygons, etc. instead of only HD textures. At least the B-K port had a better note system, though, and I still like the ports a lot, I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
All the more reason to re-release them in this day and age on the Switch...which Rare won't do, since running their pirate simulator is more important in their eyes. :rolleyes:

I wish I wasn't right about this.
To be fair, the XBLA ports were handled by 4J Studios, weren't they? They're the same guys that ported Minecraft to other platforms.

I'd say the ball is in Microsoft's court, not Rare's.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Usually when I think of "remaster," I think of something like BFBB Rehydrated, not just higher-resolution graphics.

So, we'd get Banjo & Kazooie with updated models that include loads more polygons, etc. instead of only HD textures. At least the B-K port had a better note system, though, and I still like the ports a lot, I'm just sayin'.
I think you're mixing up "remaster" with "remake". Because I'm pretty sure vanilla BFBB lacked some boss fights Rehydrated will have.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I agree with that definition of remaster. As a descriptivist, there is no right answer as to the differences between remakes and remasters. For me, a remaster is making the same exact game, but with updated graphics and minor touches to the gameplay to make them better--keeping the story/dialogue, level designs, abilities the same. A remake is taking an old game and recreating many aspects of it--may include changing the levels, adding a different or fuller story with different dialogue, adding or changing abilities. So, to me, Crash N-Sane Trilogy and Battle for Bikini Bottom are remasters. I don't know enough about games to point out an example of a remake, but I'm sure they're out there.

EDIT: I would much prefer Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to be remastered, not remade, by my definitions. An example of a remake would actually be Rare's original version of Nuts & Bolts, where they remade the game, but added many differences to where it became a different game. Though, that's slightly more deviating from what typical remakes would do.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
EDIT: I would much prefer Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to be remastered, not remade, by my definitions. An example of a remake would actually be Rare's original version of Nuts & Bolts, where they remade the game, but added many differences to where it became a different game. Though, that's slightly more deviating from what typical remakes would do.
I think this would be the best option. Imagine playing a remaster of Banjo-Kazooie, but there are some slightly different dialogues suggesting something is amiss. Although...anything new/old with Banjo is welcomed.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think you're mixing up "remaster" with "remake". Because I'm pretty sure vanilla BFBB lacked some boss fights Rehydrated will have.
Oh yeah, that's right.

It still seems like the same game otherwise, though, just with some additions like the originally scrapped Squidward boss and...did the blue jellyfish release an electric shock in the original? Videos of the demo show them release an electric sphere around themselves.

Idk, I guess "remaster" just sounds the same as "remake" to me, the XBox B-K ports just seemed like texture enhancements and nothing more other than the note fix in the first game and a few Nintendo references getting removed.

edit: meh, nevermind, just checked its definition and it fits, although I guess "remake" could technically fit as well if we stick to its standard definition. I guess it's just weird; when someone says they want a B-K remake or remaster, someone pushes the XBox ports though they should know what the other person meant.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Oh yeah, that's right.

It still seems like the same game otherwise, though, just with some additions like the originally scrapped Squidward boss and...did the blue jellyfish release an electric shock in the original? Videos of the demo show them release an electric sphere around themselves.

Idk, I guess "remaster" just sounds the same as "remake" to me, the XBox B-K ports just seemed like texture enhancements and nothing more other than the note fix in the first game and a few Nintendo references getting removed.

edit: meh, nevermind, just checked its definition and it fits, although I guess "remake" could technically fit as well if we stick to its standard definition. I guess it's just weird; when someone says they want a B-K remake or remaster, someone pushes the XBox ports though they should know what the other person meant.
I mean these distinctions between definitions is ultimately just semantics--definitions change depending on the time and culture, and so I'd rely less on strict definitions. I think your definition fits well. Battle for Bikini Bottom is a remaster because it's essentially the same game, same levels, same abilities, mostly the same characters. And I believe one of the developers mentioned that the stuff they're adding is outside of the main adventure mode. It's all about degrees--to me it goes from being a remaster to a remake when fundamental stuff are changed--adding/subtracting/changing whole levels, changing abilities that affect every aspect of the game, new plot lines, dramatically changed dialogue. The changes of BFBB are relatively minor--adding in some scrapped ideas, changing the physics to play as one imagines it was like rather than copying it strictly one-to-one. Basically, if it "feels like the same game", it's a remaster to me. If it feels like the changes make it too different, it's a remake to me.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I seriously want a Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie remaster on the Switch, especially with the graphics utilized for their appearance in Smash. I know they had their games remade for the Xbox consoles, but they really weren't that upgraded, at least not graphics wise. I want updates to their design and animations and the worlds like we got in Smash. If Crash, Spyro, and even these Disney games can be remade, it should be done for Banjo & Kazooie as well.

*Edit* I stand corrected with the Disney games, looks like they're just ports unfortunately. But I still want to see the Banjo games make it to Switch somehow.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Anyone here of the Blob leak? Someone on YouTube told me that someone on discord has screen shots of the Boy and his Blob being new DLC after Banjo.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Broke: They should remaster the Rare Replay versions of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie
Woke: They should remaster the original N64 versions of Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie.

:chuckle:

(it's a hill I will die on, even though I know it won't happen)

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Some people around Smash speculation are saying that Banjo looks simple and thus, basic.
I think that'll be built into his design though. Think about it; when you first start Banjo~Kazooie, you have what appears to be a very basic moveset (at least for a boilerplate platforming hero) but as you progress, you unlock more moves and have an expansive enough kit to face off against Gruntilda in the grand denouement.
This would be built into Smash in a very interesting way; while Banjo's moves appear basic at first glance, they'd have a bevy of little quirks that experienced Banjo players could exploit, granting you the same feeling of "progression" Kazooie and Tooie gave you.
Just my two cents, of course.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Some people around Smash speculation are saying that Banjo looks simple and thus, basic.
I think that'll be built into his design though. Think about it; when you first start Banjo~Kazooie, you have what appears to be a very basic moveset (at least for a boilerplate platforming hero) but as you progress, you unlock more moves and have an expansive enough kit to face off against Gruntilda in the grand denouement.
This would be built into Smash in a very interesting way; while Banjo's moves appear basic at first glance, they'd have a bevy of little quirks that experienced Banjo players could exploit, granting you the same feeling of "progression" Kazooie and Tooie gave you.
Just my two cents, of course.
Could be something like how the trailer showed Egg Fire turned into Breegull Blaster.
Something like:

Neutral Special: Egg Fire -> Breegull Blaster
Side Special: Turbo Talon trot -> Wonderwing Dash
Up Special: Shock Spring Jump -> Flight Pad
Down Special: Grenade egg -> Clockwork Kazooie egg

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Could be something like how the trailer showed Egg Fire turned into Breegull Blaster.
Something like:

Those are neat ideas, but I meant in a less literal sense.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Something like:

I think I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it just in case: I don’t think the Grenade Egg is Banjo & Kazooie’s Down-B. In Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, regardless of what egg you use, ultimately it’s still the same egg-shooting move, whether you shoot them out from in front or behind.

Top Bottom