• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Since the list of potential newcomers that Sakurai chose from was selected by Nintendo... I wonder if Gamefreak would object to a series like Digimon or Yokai Watch being included? Would GF try and sway Nintendo to disallow them appearing alongside Pokemon?
Pokemon's rivalry with Yokai Watch is very apparent, but is Digimon's still relevant?
Not really. I mean, considering that Bamco is more than willing to aid Sora and Nintendo with Smash, and Sakurai doesn't seem like he'd be overly concerned about petty things like that. Meanwhile Monster Rancher has become irrelevant these days, smh.

I personally think Agumon would work well in smash. Having a digivolving mechanic in a similar vein to Pokemon trainer.
Agumon may not seem exciting however its greymon who everyone whose seen digimon will recognise (and also a super cool digimon) I'm not really sure who'd you think would be a better digimon choice.

Don-chan and Taiko no Tatsujin are two names that mean nothing to me as a gamer (doesn't really mean much though) I think many people would recognise a digimon over one of these characters.
Not to mention WarGreymon as the ideal FS.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I personally think Agumon would work well in smash. Having a digivolving mechanic in a similar vein to Pokemon trainer.
Agumon may not seem exciting however its greymon who everyone whose seen digimon will recognise (and also a super cool digimon) I'm not really sure who'd you think would be a better digimon choice.

Don-chan and Taiko no Tatsujin are two names that mean nothing to me as a gamer (doesn't really mean much though) I think many people would recognise a digimon over one of these characters.
A Western audience would absolutely recognize Digimon over Taiko no Tatsujin, but Taiko is a huge thing in Japan. In all of the arcades I went to in Japan there were Taiko cabinets, and Don-Chan has even appeared in the Arcade version of Mario Kart as a playable character. It's a rhythm drumming game and has recently has stateside localized releases too, so it shouldn't be completely unknown to the Western audience. I would completely agree that a Taiko choice would cater more to the Japanese audience though.

I mean, Agumon is fine. But he's basically a small T-Rex that breathes little bits of fire breath. Then he digivolves to a a bigger T-Rex that breaths bigger fire. War Greymon is kinda neat I suppose. I personally don't really care for Gundam type units and Metal WarGreymon basically feels like that. I guess I've always liked the other Rookie class lines more like Gabumon, Gatomon, Piyomon, Patamon, Lucario errr I mean Renamon, and Gomamon. S3 onward started getting more Humanoid monsters, so again not my favorite. All personal preference of course. That all said, I'd be down for Agumon if it came to it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Taiko no Tatsujin has one thing in the way; song licenses. It's rumoured that even a Rhythm Heaven character can't get in because contacting Tsunku on his free time can't be achieved for timing reasons, despite being a Nintendo property.

Also, it doesn't matter how dull a concept looks on paper, Sakurai can generally find a way to make it appealing through their gameplay.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So tomorrow it will have been officially three weeks. Three weeks since we could rest easy knowing the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies made their triumphant return at a time that we had almost all but lost hope. I can't tell you guys how much more vibrant and colorful the world looks to me knowing something as stupendously wonderful as this has finally happened and I'm so glad we all got to experience that together. I've rewatched both Banjo & Kazooie's Best Friends trailer and reactions to said trailer at least 500 times in the past three weeks and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. What's crazy about it is even though we got gameplay and a wonderful CG trailer to boot, there's still a lot of mystery behind the bear and bird and what they'll bring to Smash!

Speaking as a long time fan of the Banjo-Kazooie series, I'm hoping their moveset will bring as much of their moves from Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie to the mix as possible. Thankfully we already have confirmation of several moves from both games, but there's still a bit of mystery behind them. Specifically, for me at least, their eggs and feathers. Will they have access to the fire, ice, battery, and clockwork Kazooie eggs? Will they have access to more than two jumps and a recovery? Will their Feathery Flap give them a bit of horizontal recovery in their jumps? Will the Shock Spring Jump Pad on the ground be a Flight Pad in the air? Me personally, I'm hoping they'll bring with them a collectathon motif and the Egg Select method from Banjo-Tooie to allow them to swap out different eggs for their Egg Shot/Breegull Blaster and Egg Lay moves, with eggs and feathers spread throughout stages whenever they're in play to replenish their moves when low. I'm hoping the Beak Buster and Bill Drill are usable as either a down smash, down aerial, or down throw. Too iconic to not be included and the fact that they weren't shown is surprising honestly. Likewise, the Rat-a-Tat-Rap as we know it has yet to be revealed, and I'm hoping it will be a forward aerial as well as their back aerial confirmed it. Was glad to see the Beak Barge as their down tilt and especially the Breegull Bash as their forward smash! It just makes sense. It's gonna be interesting to see how their forward roll attack animates from the Talon Trot. I love the bit of animation where Banjo flips around on his back and lets Kazooie out. It's so fluid! They really animated them so well and gave them so much personality and life that shows why they were so iconic back in the day.

Speaking of mysteries, its sad to see their section of the Smash site is barricaded for the time being for some reason. First time in history that has to happen and it has to happen to the one pair of characters I DESPERATELY want to see officially! Hopefully after the Hero of Dragon Quest gets released, their page will finally be open to the public! I'm hoping their alts will reference their multiplayer colors in Banjo-Tooie and other characters such as Grunty, Boggy, and Tooty! Another mystery at hand is what Gruntilda's deal will be on Spiral Mountain. Will she just be a background character or will she play a more sinister hand on the field? Personally, I hope she'll have a Palutena's Guidance/Snake's Codec Conversation for each character where she insults specific players with her rhymes. Unlike the aforementioned Easter Eggs, those could be super easy to implement since its just written dialogue with Grunty's jargon sound effects. People have also pointed out the strange moment in the trailer where Banjo stares down Gruntilda's Lair with the bridge intact and the bridge being visible in some spots and not in others of Spiral Mountain. Could Grunty actually be a boss in Classic Mode? How cool would that be for a DLC character to have a special boss to fight?! That's unprecedented and far more than I could've ever hoped for for Smash Bros. and Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion, especially since Gruntilda is as iconic a Nintendo villain as they come, rivaling the likes of Bowser, Ganondorf, Ridley, King K. Rool, King Dedede, Dr. Robotnik, and Dr. Wily.

I'm super excited to see what music they bring to the table as well. While I'm only expecting mostly ports of music from Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and maybe even Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts, I'd be absolutely thrilled if they made a remix of the main Banjo-Kazooie theme which has to be in, its just too iconic not to be, and especially a remix of Gruntilda's Lair. The fact they got Grant Kirkhope to come back to work on remixes for Smash, the first non-Japanese composer to be asked to do so for Smash, is just nuts. They really have gone all out to bring the bear and bird home and I truly hope this is just the beginning and we see their classic adventures and maybe even some new ones brought to current consoles and especially the Nintendo Switch for old and new fans to enjoy together. After seeing how beautiful they look in HD, I'm really hoping we get a remaster of their old games on Nintendo Switch. I would've been fine with just ports, but Smash spoiled that for me. They have to look like that for their games on the modern consoles. A few weeks ago, I said if they didn't make it into Smash, especially after E3, then I could see no future for them. Now? Their future has never looked brighter. The outcry and public adoration they and Nintendo, Microsoft, and Rare have received for their inclusion can't fall on deaf ears. They NEED to do something with them now.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Grant confirmed there would be other remixes besides his own. I'm almost positive there'll be a Grunty's Lair/Final Battle remix in there.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Can't remember the timecode, but it's in here somewhere:

I wouldn't expect more than a couple though, like the Persona remixes.
No, that's freaking perfect! As nice as the Spiral Mountain remix is, it is a little underwhelming if that's the only remix we'd be getting, so I'm very excited to hear this. I wouldn't expect there to be too much music for each of the DLC characters, but as long as we get some great choices from the games, I'll be content. Heck, bringing some of Nuts n' Bolt's orchestrations would be fine! The Grunty Challenge theme would fit perfectly and be a fine Gruntilda's Lair remix in and of itself. Thanks for the good news! :D

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Digimon is in a sort of weird area since it originated on a Tamagotchi device and it's debatable if it counts as a video game or not.

What does everyone else think?
Eeh, while it did start as a Tamagatchi-style game, I honestly remember it more for the various anime series about it, so Agumon feels more like an anime character to me.

ze9

Smash Ace
Persona got 3 remixes, so I think that's the minimum we can expect for Banjo. Maybe even more? Since the composers will have had more time.
Dragon Quest will probably get 0, though.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Persona got 3 remixes, so I think that's the minimum we can expect for Banjo. Maybe even more? Since the composers will have had more time.
Dragon Quest will probably get 0, though.
I don't believe DQ will get treated that badly. 8 know there's FF as an argument, but I personally believe it is more about Nintendo not wanting to give FF the same spotlight... I mean dq 11 gets ported to switch. I'm pretty sure that's a bug factor in here.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm just imagining how much salt FF7 fans would get if they discovered that DQ got more content than FF7 did.

Also, I'm aware that Square-Enix can be a bit stingy, but I'm betting that if we separate the two, it would be Squaresoft that's acting stingy about Final Fantasy content. Enix on the other hand, maybe there's hope.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Enix: easy to negotiate through five companies.

Squaresoft:

So, given that, Geno fans may have a Herculean task ahead of them, never mind FF ones...
Holy ****, I was talking about that Asterix scene just yesterday.

But yeah, considering Nintendo kept getting DQ games even after Squaresoft and Enix fused and relations had soured with Square... that's a possibility.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'm just imagining how much salt FF7 fans would get if they discovered that DQ got more content than FF7 did.

Also, I'm aware that Square-Enix can be a bit stingy, but I'm betting that if we separate the two, it would be Squaresoft that's acting stingy about Final Fantasy content. Enix on the other hand, maybe there's hope.
As an FF7 fan, my expectations are rock bottom to begin with. But yeah, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are run by two different departments.

I don't believe DQ will get treated that badly. 8 know there's FF as an argument, but I personally believe it is more about Nintendo not wanting to give FF the same spotlight... I mean dq 11 gets ported to switch. I'm pretty sure that's a bug factor in here.
The issue is less Square and more Sugiyama is notoriously difficult to work with over his music.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm not really holding my breath for DQ music. The DQ games struggle to get anything other than low quality midis at times.

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't think FF got so little content just because Square is difficult to work with. I mean... you alredy lended the character and the stage, but a few more songs are where you draw the line?
I think they're just greedy and they charged too much for any additional content, while the base game's budget had to also account for the content of the other 3d party properties like Sonic, Castlevania, Megaman etc. etc.
The spirits thing is probably just them being weird, though, and/or a byproduct of Cloud being a late addition.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, but I would have liked to smash while Cosmo Canyon plays in the background.
Ah, well. If nothing else, Banjo will probably get treated way, way better. This is his grand return. I think we'll get a lot of songs, hopefully some deep cut too. Gimme Isle O' Hags.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I don't think FF got so little content just because Square is difficult to work with. I mean... you alredy lended the character and the stage, but a few more songs are where you draw the line?
I think they're just greedy and they charged too much for any additional content, while the base game's budget had to also account for the content of the other 3d party properties like Sonic, Castlevania, Megaman etc. etc.
The spirits thing is probably just them being weird, though, and/or a byproduct of Cloud being a late addition.

At the end of the day it's no big deal, but I would have liked to smash while Cosmo Canyon plays in the background.
Ah, well. If nothing else, Banjo will probably get treated way, way better. This is his grand return. I think we'll get a lot of songs, hopefully some deep cut too. Gimme Isle O' Hags.
If I recall, it's because the rights for things FF-related are all over the place, just like Dragon Quest. Apparently the rights for individual parts of older SE games being dilluted is a thing - though unlike DQ, I can't find much about the process with FF stuff.

If anyone can link a source here, that would be great.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
No, that's freaking perfect! As nice as the Spiral Mountain remix is, it is a little underwhelming if that's the only remix we'd be getting, so I'm very excited to hear this. I wouldn't expect there to be too much music for each of the DLC characters, but as long as we get some great choices from the games, I'll be content. Heck, bringing some of Nuts n' Bolt's orchestrations would be fine! The Grunty Challenge theme would fit perfectly and be a fine Gruntilda's Lair remix in and of itself. Thanks for the good news! :D
Yeah, I expected even before Grant's comments on other re-mixes that they would be going all out (as much as they can on a DLC budget) on the music--a) Music is a fundamental aspect of the games, b) they went out of their way to contract the original composer to do the re-mix, something they rarely do, and for the first time working with a Western composer, and c) Microsoft has been easy to work with, and may have allowed for a generous arrangement to making it the best they possibly can. That being said, I am trying to temper my expectations. I would love it if all the stage tracks from BK and all the boss tracks from BT were in, and in doing so, would still be much less than Castlevania--but it is DLC, they are likely working on a much smaller budget, and even with a generous deal, music licensing is not cheap. But Grant doing a re-mix alone fills me with so much joy and respect already, and it's already surpassed my expectations, so I'm fine with whatever direction they go.

Also, I have been watching the Game Attack archive of Banjo & Kazooie. Planned on doing it in chucks over two weeks, instead because of how many donations/subs came in putting them into overtime 20-ish times, they played for over 14 hours straight, almost finishing Click Clock Wood, and then resumed the rest of the game today. So much love for Banjo & Kazooie since their announcement, it's been amazing!

ze9

Smash Ace
If I recall, it's because the rights for things FF-related are all over the place, just like Dragon Quest. Apparently the rights for individual parts of older SE games being dilluted is a thing - though unlike DQ, I can't find much about the process with FF stuff.

If anyone can link a source here, that would be great.
Yeah, I read something about that, too. Knowing how Square manages its properties, that's entirely possible, lol.
But at least the FF7 rips should have been available, since there's already 2 of them in the game. It's not the most fitting soundrack for Smash I guess, but they could have easily found 4-5 more songs to shove in. I think they were just greedy.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
A Western audience would absolutely recognize Digimon over Taiko no Tatsujin, but Taiko is a huge thing in Japan. In all of the arcades I went to in Japan there were Taiko cabinets, and Don-Chan has even appeared in the Arcade version of Mario Kart as a playable character. It's a rhythm drumming game and has recently has stateside localized releases too, so it shouldn't be completely unknown to the Western audience. I would completely agree that a Taiko choice would cater more to the Japanese audience though.

I mean, Agumon is fine. But he's basically a small T-Rex that breathes little bits of fire breath. Then he digivolves to a a bigger T-Rex that breaths bigger fire. War Greymon is kinda neat I suppose. I personally don't really care for Gundam type units and Metal WarGreymon basically feels like that. I guess I've always liked the other Rookie class lines more like Gabumon, Gatomon, Piyomon, Patamon, Lucario errr I mean Renamon, and Gomamon. S3 onward started getting more Humanoid monsters, so again not my favorite. All personal preference of course. That all said, I'd be down for Agumon if it came to it.
Not that this is to say this would give them huge reach, but for any people in America who have played the translated version of Yokai Watch 2, there's a good chance that they'd recognize Don-Chan now as he guest starred as a Yokai in that game, and as such is technically counted in any future installments.

D

Deleted member

Hello, everyone.
Current status on Banjo-Kazooie? Have we found more information?
Also...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
You're welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention WarGreymon as the ideal FS.
The only final smash I want to see is SkullGreymon.
SkullGreymon is a much cooler Digievolution and fits a better than WarGreymon if Agumon only evolves into Greymon (and maybe MetalGreymon). If you want to introduce new players to the Digimon world its better to keep the evolution concept basic (also humanoid evolutions are gross).

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hello, everyone.
Current status on Banjo-Kazooie? Have we found more information?
Also...
You're welcome.
Sadly, no, we've heard nothing about the beloved backpacking bear and bird's inclusion in Smash. It seems like we'll never get confirmation of them making a return to the video game spotlight after years of them wallowing in forced retirement and obscurity. Oh! WAITAMINUTE. That was me being a sad sack a few weeks ago! How the times and moods have changed! Sadly we haven't heard anything new, but after years of waiting and hoping, I can sit back and relax and in just a few months, we'll finally FINALLY have our favorite video game characters back where they belong amongst old friends.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
So uh, is anyone else waiting for Warchamp7's Roster Maker to update with Banjo-Kazooie's render? I know it's just one render and we don't have the rest of their alt colors but it's the best we've got.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So uh, is anyone else waiting for Warchamp7's Roster Maker to update with Banjo-Kazooie's render? I know it's just one render and we don't have the rest of their alt colors but it's the best we've got.
The page for Banjo & Kazooie is still not on the website, probably won't be until Hero's released, and that's where you can get the official render without a background, which is necessary for the Post Your Roster feature. There have been fan versions, which takes the official one on Twitter with the white background and removes it, but it's probably best to wait to use the official one with transparent background.

I'm just happy we have the official stock icons! :ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie::ultbanjokazooie:

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
So I recently did a 100% run of Banjo-Kazooie and managed to set some new personal records. I feel pretty good about these times, I'll show them here:

Overall - 5:21:28
Better than my last run by ~2 hours. I haven't done many 100% runs, though, so this is just the beginning.

Mumbo's Mountain - 11:39
Super easy, but the order of things you do still matters. Could shave off a minute or so.

Treasure Trove Cove - 18:49
I shook up the order I did things in, so this took a bit longer than expected. Still very easy.

Clanker's Cavern - 19:59
Better than I thought. I do everything outside Clanker first then everything inside. Pretty smooth.

Bubblegloop Swamp - 26:42
I forgot to do a few things before changing to the Crocodile, and I failed Mr. Vile's minigame once, so time can be shaved off here.

Freezeezy Peak - 24:50
Straightforward for a middle level. I noticed it takes a while to get places as the Walrus. Might have to find a way to shorten that.

Gobi's Valley - 22:54
Quicker than I expected. It's pretty easy when you can remember which pyramid has what.

Mad Monster Mansion - 26:50
Always surprisingly fast for a late-game level. I faffed around in the mansion for a while, though.

Rusty Bucket Bay - 30:26
Shaved off over an hour from my last run. That's what happens when you clear out the engine room without dying and you know where everything is.

Click Clock Wood - 1:00:10
A slight disappointment, I forgot a few things so had to spend a few minutes remembering where they are, like Yellow Jinjo. Next run will be faster, no doubt.

I'm currently on Tooie, so I might show my times for that too once I finish.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What are the odds we get the Dragon Kazooie alt? ........
I'd give it low odds, so that if it doesn't happen, I'm not disappointed. Alts are still highly character dependent, despite some characters who'd have perfect alts but are still bland (i.e., Sonic), but DLC characters have been getting some good alts. At the very least, we will get a green Kazooie, if not Dragon Kazooie. I just wonder if it violates Sakurai's policy (not sure if it's a true one, or one of those unsubstantiated claims) of not having alts with powers the characters don't have--which is why a Fire Flower alt is good for Mario, but not a Tanooki suit, since Mario can't flutter.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So I recently did a 100% run of Banjo-Kazooie and managed to set some new personal records. I feel pretty good about these times, I'll show them here:

Overall - 5:21:28
Better than my last run by ~2 hours. I haven't done many 100% runs, though, so this is just the beginning.

Mumbo's Mountain - 11:39
Super easy, but the order of things you do still matters. Could shave off a minute or so.

Treasure Trove Cove - 18:49
I shook up the order I did things in, so this took a bit longer than expected. Still very easy.

Clanker's Cavern - 19:59
Better than I thought. I do everything outside Clanker first then everything inside. Pretty smooth.

Bubblegloop Swamp - 26:42
I forgot to do a few things before changing to the Crocodile, and I failed Mr. Vile's minigame once, so time can be shaved off here.

Freezeezy Peak - 24:50
Straightforward for a middle level. I noticed it takes a while to get places as the Walrus. Might have to find a way to shorten that.

Gobi's Valley - 22:54
Quicker than I expected. It's pretty easy when you can remember which pyramid has what.

Mad Monster Mansion - 26:50
Always surprisingly fast for a late-game level. I faffed around in the mansion for a while, though.

Rusty Bucket Bay - 30:26
Shaved off over an hour from my last run. That's what happens when you clear out the engine room without dying and you know where everything is.

Click Clock Wood - 1:00:10
A slight disappointment, I forgot a few things so had to spend a few minutes remembering where they are, like Yellow Jinjo. Next run will be faster, no doubt.

I'm currently on Tooie, so I might show my times for that too once I finish.
That's awesome, it took me around 6 hours to beat Kazooie a few weeks ago and another ~25 mins to wrap up Stop n Swop and Bottles Puzzles.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
You’ve heard of Banjo-Kazooie

Then there was Yooka-Laylee

Now let me introduce you all to the next generation of interspecies partnerships:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You’ve heard of Banjo-Kazooie

Then there was Yooka-Laylee

Now let me introduce you all to the next generation of interspecies partnerships:

That's... uh... that has a lot of... well, I don't know what exactly, but there's a lot of it.

So... which one shoots eggs in this? Do I even want to know?

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
So I'm replaying Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to pass the time until the squad come out in Smash Bros, and I was wondering what all your favourite worlds are in each game.

For me, my favourite worlds are Treasure Trove Cove and Hailfire Peaks.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
So I'm replaying Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to pass the time until the squad come out in Smash Bros, and I was wondering what all your favourite worlds are in each game.

For me, my favourite worlds are Treasure Trove Cove and Hailfire Peaks.
My faovurite worlds are
Kazooie: Freezeezy Peaks
Tooie: Glitter Gultch Mine

With Treasure Trove and Jolly Rogers coming close seconds.
I love these four levels mainly for the amazing music and fun Jiggy locations

Top Bottom