• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just dropping by to say Spyro is not lame.

ze9

Smash Ace
Is there any series that has a history as crazy as Banjo Kazooie?
we've got project dream, the game that was originally in action-adventure RPG about Pirates
banjos debut in a racing game Donkey Kong, but his little sidekick Diddy
the first two games releasing to generally positive critical Acclaim, banjo being a household name at Nintendo, appearing on N64 boxes with Mario, Donkey Kong, and even Pikachu, Despite that, no Smash Brothers appearance.
you get sequels promised in both games, and tantalizing secrets that are teased but never fully realized like stop and swap, and mysterious secrets that aren't teased but still end up in the game accidentally like bottles Revenge
and then, Microsoft acquires rareware, all we get are a couple of dodgy GBA games, one of which was meant to be a Donkey Kong airplane racer, and then the series just goes dormant. It was like Banjo being a household name at Nintendo never happened.
two generations after the N64, the next banjo game is teased, the art style looked pretty ugly, but it showed promise it came time for the actual reveal, and it was no longer a platform game, but some kind of vehicular building game. And one that was awfully disrespectful to the legacy of The Originals At that.
aside from a guest appearance in a Sonic the Hedgehog Kart Racer, alongside Wreck-It Ralph, Banjo just goes dormant again. people at rare seemed outright determined to keep banjo dead. this forced the people who still had passion for banjo to split off And start a Kickstarter for a successor.
that successor being yooka laylee, And that Kickstarter met its goal within a day. Meanwhile the only signs that banjo is still an IP that existed in this world are a few seconds of a tech demo for Xbox Kinect. And nothing ever comes of it.
we all know how it ends from here, merchandise teases, no new banjo game, And yet banjo appears in Super Smash Bros ultimate.

it's honestly the craziest gaming-related ride I know of. Right from the beginning when you hear about project dream.
the only thing I think comes close to this is Sonic the Hedgehog, but that may only count if you factor in the crazy legal drama surrounding the comic books and other media spin offs.
In my mind, :ultbanjokazooie::ultmegaman::ultsimon: form a cute little club.
-First outings on a Nintendo console
-Their games are big successes and help pioneer new gameplay styles
-Suddenly, their creators just stop to make games
-The franchises go on hiatus despite the fans wanting more games
-The years go by
-Fan demand is still so strong that the original creators leave their studios and make spiritual sequels on Kickstarter (Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee and Bloodborne)
-...the original characters all get in Smash anyway

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
we've got project dream, the game that was originally in action-adventure RPG about Pirates
the first two games releasing to generally positive critical Acclaim, banjo being a household name at Nintendo, appearing on N64 boxes with Mario, Donkey Kong, and even Pikachu, Despite that, no Smash Brothers appearance.
you get sequels promised in both games, and tantalizing secrets that are teased but never fully realized like stop and swap, and mysterious secrets that aren't teased but still end up in the game accidentally like bottles Revenge
and then, Microsoft acquires rareware, all we get are a couple of dodgy GBA games, one of which was meant to be a Donkey Kong airplane racer, and then the series just goes dormant. It was like Banjo being a household name at Nintendo never happened.
two generations after the N64, the next banjo game is teased, the art style looked pretty ugly, but it showed promise it came time for the actual reveal, and it was no longer a platform game, but some kind of vehicular building game. And one that was awfully disrespectful to the legacy of The Originals At that.
aside from a guest appearance in a Sonic the Hedgehog Kart Racer, alongside Wreck-It Ralph, Banjo just goes dormant again. people at rare seemed outright determined to keep banjo dead. this forced the people who still had passion for banjo to split off And start a Kickstarter for a successor.
that successor being yooka laylee, And that Kickstarter met its goal within a day. Meanwhile the only signs that banjo is still an IP that existed in this world are a few seconds of a tech demo for Xbox Kinect. And nothing ever comes of it.
we all know how it ends from here, merchandise teases, no new banjo game, And yet banjo appears in Super Smash Bros ultimate.

it's honestly the craziest gaming-related ride I know of. Right from the beginning when you hear about project dream.
the only thing I think comes close to this is Sonic the Hedgehog, but that may only count if you factor in the crazy legal drama surrounding the comic books and other media spin offs.
Tetris. The answer is Tetris.
Because...whew.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Since everybody else posted their newcomer tier/rankings, I might as well post mine.

S rank: :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley:
- These three were my most wanted for a long long time. Banjo & Kazooie plus K. Rool go back to my childhood. Though I didn't get into the Metroid series until later, I remember Ridley flying in the background of Zebes in the Smash 64 stage and then fully getting exposure to Ridley in the Melee intro. The fact that these heavy hitters got into the same game is nothing short of amazing. These three/four alone make this newcomer class the best in the series for me.

A rank: :ultincineroar:
- I know some people really dislike Incineroar, but to me, he is so damn awesome to play as in this game. His personality, his moves, the poses, I love playing as him. Easily my character of choice for the Pokemon crew.

B rank: :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultinkling:
I've always liked Daisy ever since Mario Tennis came out years ago. She is full of personality and was in the same boat as Waluigi in terms of spinoffs. Personally, I wish Daisy had more of a moveset suited to her liking, sort of like Dark Samus. I started supporting Dark Samus more during the Smash 4 days. I would have never thought that we get two Metroid newcomers in one Smash game. It was a pleasant surprise just like Daisy getting in. I kinda wanted her in but it was more quiet support than anything. Inkling was a surefire lock once their popularity of Splatoon took off in the Smash 4 DLC days. I don't always play as these characters much now, though I did play Inkling quite a bit when I first got the game.

C rank: :ultsimon::ultken::ultchrom::ulthero:
- Both of these guys were very deserving to get in. Castlevania is such an iconic franchise dating back to the NES and what better way than the main man himself, Simon. Ken was a given ever since the term Echoes were introduced. Not a surprise to see these two in and I'm glad they are. While he maybe another sword user, Chrom is still fun to play as. It's nice to see a comeback after he went through in the Lucina/Robin trailer back then. While I have no connection with DQ, having four DQ heroes in one slot is really nice and the series itself is very iconic enough to be in Smash. I'll definitely try them out when they release.

D rank: :ultisabelle::ultjoker::ultrichter:
- Isabelle is a nice character and all, but her reveal trailer probably the least hype worthy in the base game. Though I do play Isabelle more than Villager. Prior to August 8th, I had no clue whatsoever who Richter was. But still a neat addition though. And Joker, never heard of him though I did see an image of him on one of the user's avatars here on Smashboards. I have no connection to him at all though I might give Persona 5 a look through someday.

F rank: :ultpiranha:
- Now if I had to choose a newcomer that is at the bottom, it would be the Piranha Plant. The plant itself is fun to play as no question, but the timing wasn't the greatest for it. Plus it opens the door for other generic enemies from different series as playable characters. I'm not a big fan of that at all. I just rather see the big names in first before generic enemies.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
About the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt game freezing glitch:

I think the theory that the glitch was caused by Swordfighter and Duck Hunt's data being used for Hero and Banjo & Kazooie died when Hero himself was revealed. If any character was used as a base to create Hero it would have been Link. They both have a sword and shield, both of their shields passively block projectile attacks, and their dash-attacks are nearly identical.

I don't see any compelling evidence that Mii Swordfighter would have been used as a base for Hero instead of Link. I suppose the inevitable datamines will finally give us the answer though.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Yeah, the Hero's base is definitely Link.
I don't really see much of Duck Hunt in Banjo & Kazooie either, to be honest. If anything, Banjo's base would be Mario.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's possible Hero and Banjo borrow some moves/assets from Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt. It would be one hell of a coincidence otherwise.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Sorry everyone for bothering all of you with that article on that bill. Was just worried it affect would Banjo's return. But, now I'm not! Thanks for the reassurance everyone!

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I still just... I can't believe it. This game is so freaking amazing.

- Solid Snake
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Mega Man
- Pac-Man
- Ryu
- Ken Masters
- Cloud Strife
- Bayonetta
- Simon Belmont
- Richter Belmont
- Joker
- Luminary
- Erdrick
- Eight
- Solo
- Banjo & Kazooie

And that's just the third party offerings. Compared to the rest of the roster... it's truly amazing.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Question for Banjo-Kazooie fans; looking at the success of Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled; would you want Microsoft to give a crack at making their own Kart racer?

I know they have Forza but, would it be something you'd want? If you'd want Banjo & Kazooie to have a Kart racer; what characters, items, tracks etc. would you like to see?

I didn't know Melbourne had such a place? I need to pop down and visit one day, I'm sick of living in the gamerless small towns of Australia
Yeah its near Federation Square, short walk from Flinders Street Station.

Hype reveal tier:

S: :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:

Absolutely mind blowing, love the characters and franchises. Their respective circumstances made their inclusions that much more wild and sweeter, of course, so did the haters' salty tears.

A: :ultridley:

Never too big! That madman finally came to and did it. More hyped by the fact that ol' Riddles actually made it considering his history.

B: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultinkling:

Have a lot of time and respect for these characters/franchises. Very welcome and pleasing inclusions.

C+: :ulthero::ultincineroar:

C::ultjoker: :ultisabelle::ultken::ultpiranha:

Bordering on nonchalant territory. Not bad, Plant's timing wasn't ideal though and we got the original echo fighter! Solid, if unspectacular inclusions none the less. Not that into Pokemon past Gen 3/4 but I love Incineroar's personality and brash style.

D: :ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:

Meh, ambivalent. They all made sense though.

Mixed bag thus far for me in terms of newcomers. Fingers crossed for Crash.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, going through the game, I was thinking that Clanker's cavern would likely be my least favorite level in the game with all the swimming in a huge area along with how they also throw a bunch of pipes to have to choose between in said area

But then I reached Rusty Bucket Bay...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In terms of great 90s mascots, there is a few I can think of that'd be left after Crash and Spyro.

While their chances are doubtful, having Earthworm Jim, Master Higgins and Bonk would bring things full circle to me.

Well, there is also Mega Man, when you consider everything that happened between the Legends 3 project establishment and Mega Man 11's arrival. And unlike Banjo's situation, the spiritual successor had failed miserably compared to Y-K simply just being a little rough around the edges.

Thank you

I would love for Crash and Spyro to both make it in somehow since they were both 90s platforming icons but I realistically know Crash is just much more popular (idk why though but I digress).
Yeah, I can't help but wonder if they'd withhold on having Crash until Spyro has enough support. These two go like wine and bread.

Also, Spyro had such terrible Japanese conversions of its first two games in the 90s that it didn't even gather a reputation over there AT ALL before the Reignited Trilogy eventually came into existence.

Question for Banjo-Kazooie fans; looking at the success of Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled; would you want Microsoft to give a crack at making their own Kart racer?

I know they have Forza but, would it be something you'd want? If you'd want Banjo & Kazooie to have a Kart racer; what characters, items, tracks etc. would you like to see?
Nah, the XBox is for mature and serious adults. :4pacman:

But seriously though, I doubt they would even do that, even if all they could do is copy Crash Team Racing.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
In terms of great 90s mascots, there is a few I can think of that'd be left after Crash and Spyro.

While their chances are doubtful, having Earthworm Jim, Master Higgins and Bonk would bring things full circle to me.
I'd like to bring up one in particular:

Last edited:

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Nah, the XBox is for mature and serious adults. :4pacman:

But seriously though, I doubt they would even do that, even if all they could do is copy Crash Team Racing.
No, wait! In the depths of Rare Replay's unlockables, Rare was ACTUALLY working on a crossover kart racer with their IPs! It was called Fast and the Furriest, and it's apparently where Kazooie's N&B wrench was birthed from.

The game looked more like Sega All Stars, but it also had a mix-n-match vehicle creator the likes of Mario Kart 7 and 8.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
On Nuts & Bolts--if they had made it a spin-off, with a proper Threeie in the pipeline, I'd be perfectly okay with it. It would be the Mario Kart equivalent of the Super Mario series.

But they didn't. They made it a sequel, which is the equivalent of making Mario Kart the sequel to Super Mario World. As such, it doesn't matter how good the game is (I was bored within minutes of playing the demo), it's not a proper sequel in my eyes and it's best to ignore it.

The only thing I could see being good is if they made a Threeie with a Smash-like modern take on the character, keeping its N64 roots, then afterwards make a spin off, like Nuts & Bolts, but with a different name and using the new modern design, putting the blocky design to the dust bin of history. Then, I may consider giving it a chance.

There was a great opportunity of continuing the series while expanding it into spin offs--the characters and series would have made a terrific franchise. But they blew it, and I'm not sure how much it can be recovered. His Smash appearance, though, is a great first step.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I can't help but wonder if they'd withhold on having Crash until Spyro has enough support. These two go like wine and bread.
I doubt it. They don’t look at characters as package deals, as “can’t have one without the other.” Especially not when one is much more popular than the other.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
On Nuts & Bolts--if they had made it a spin-off, with a proper Threeie in the pipeline, I'd be perfectly okay with it. It would be the Mario Kart equivalent of the Super Mario series.

But they didn't. They made it a sequel, which is the equivalent of making Mario Kart the sequel to Super Mario World. As such, it doesn't matter how good the game is (I was bored within minutes of playing the demo), it's not a proper sequel in my eyes and it's best to ignore it.

The only thing I could see being good is if they made a Threeie with a Smash-like modern take on the character, keeping its N64 roots, then afterwards make a spin off, like Nuts & Bolts, but with a different name and using the new modern design, putting the blocky design to the dust bin of history. Then, I may consider giving it a chance.

There was a great opportunity of continuing the series while expanding it into spin offs--the characters and series would have made a terrific franchise. But they blew it, and I'm not sure how much it can be recovered. His Smash appearance, though, is a great first step.
I propose a few options for a future installment:

1) Pull a Terminator: Dark Fate and treat N&B like it never happened.
2) Make N&B part of a large future that Gruntilda looked into between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and have her manipulate L.O.G. into ruining the franchise.
3) Make a game actually titled Banjo-Threeie with the traditional collectathon formula and give it the side-quest of retconing Nuts and Bolts piece-by-piece until it's completely gone from the Banjo-Kazooie timeline. No L.O.G., no LEGO cars, no trace of Nuts and Bolts in sight.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

I'm honestly surprised that they haven't already. Banjo-Pilot showed that there was a decent enough list of characters for a kart racer, but throw in the rest of Rare's line-up and it seems like a no-brainer.

I'd be surprised that they haven't tried to make a spiritual successor to Diddy Kong Racing, given how popular these types of games seem to be nowadays, but then again, modern Rare isn't exactly what it used to be in terms of making hit after hit.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
We all know that Microsoft needs a car racer with all of their biggest franchises, and all of them would be riding Forza cars. It writes itself.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

I think the theory that the glitch was caused by Swordfighter and Duck Hunt's data being used for Hero and Banjo & Kazooie died when Hero himself was revealed. If any character was used as a base to create Hero it would have been Link. They both have a sword and shield, both of their shields passively block projectile attacks, and their dash-attacks are nearly identical.

I don't see any compelling evidence that Mii Swordfighter would have been used as a base for Hero instead of Link. I suppose the inevitable datamines will finally give us the answer though.
It's possible Hero and Banjo borrow some moves/assets from Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt. It would be one hell of a coincidence otherwise.
I mean, Hero's tornado recovery move already looks like it borrows from Mii Swordfighter's Gale strike, so it's certainly possible!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord

Hero is totally Mii Swirdfighter considering the multitude of moves both characters can choose from being their chief mechanic. I’d argue the reveal of Hero pouts even more to the theory. But only time will tell.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think Hero's base is pretty obviously Link. Same body build, same shield mechanic, similar movements (just look at the dash attack)...
While for Banjo it's not obvious at all. His base could have been Duck Hunt, could have been Mario... or maybe they made him from scratch. Who knows.
I don't think we can really infer too much from things like those, though. That said, let's hope that Diddy starts to crash the game somewhere.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it's no wonder why Hero is in here, he's just another Link in disguise! :4pacman:

Yeah, at least with Travis Strikes Again, Grasshopper had the sense to clearly treat that as a NMH spin-off/interquel, with No More Heroes 3 being planned to come not too long afterwards. N&B, it's like, you like it? No? Too bad, the series tanked because you didn't give it enough sales.

I doubt it. They don’t look at characters as package deals, as “can’t have one without the other.” Especially not when one is much more popular than the other.
At any rate, Crash could still be passed over for any reason, even if it would make all the sense in the world to include him. It could be for a reason as simple as other series/characters taking priority over him (especially if Intelligent Systems or The Pokémon Company get needy), or running out of time to establish contact with Activision.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyone seen this? Someone made a dubbed version of the Banjo & Kazooie reveal and I thought it was pretty funny.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Anyone seen this? Someone made a dubbed version of the Banjo & Kazooie reveal and I thought it was pretty funny.

I saw that! And it took me a while, but I eventually figured out that the Jinjonator was doing an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice and I loved that!

D

Deleted member

I think Hero's base is pretty obviously Link. Same body build, same shield mechanic, similar movements (just look at the dash attack)...
While for Banjo it's not obvious at all. His base could have been Duck Hunt, could have been Mario... or maybe they made him from scratch. Who knows.
I don't think we can really infer too much from things like those, though. That said, let's hope that Diddy starts to crash the game somewhere.
Oh yeah, the crashing the game stuff with Swordfighter and Duck Hunt.......

*Furiosly attempts to Crash the game with Greninja*

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I like doing these sorts of things.

S::ultbanjokazooie::ultsnake:
A::ultkrool::ultridley:
B::ultinkling:
C::ulthero::ultjoker::ultisabelle:
D::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultken:
F::ultpiranha::ultdaisy::ultchrom::ultincineroar:

I know this is supposed to be a newcomer thing, but Snake's return was just as impactful to me and was the centerpiece of Everyone is Here.
Banjo is self explanatory, never thought I'd see the day, but they'd always been my number one pipe dream. Never give up on those dreams.
K. Rool and Ridley were two characters I'd been wanting since the Brawl days, the best Smash reveals ever besides Banjo himself.
I'd wanted Inklings (who didn't?) but that double edged sword of obviousness plus the lack of a proper reveal sunk their hype value a lot.
I'm pretty indifferent to row C, haven't played DQ or Persona. I like Isabelle, but she honestly doesn't even belong in Smash and was an extremely dull reveal.
Row D doesn't do anything for me, I have no connection to any of them and they're boring clones. Not a fan of third parties having second characters either.
Why do the awful "characters" in row F even exist.

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
Now that banjo kazooie is in smash now we have a constant reminder of the biggest tragedy in video game history - Microsoft bought rare :(

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Now that banjo kazooie is in smash now we have a constant reminder of the biggest tragedy in video game history - Microsoft bought rare :(
But seeing him next to Mario and the other Nintendo greats allows us to exist in denial as we beat the other Nintendo stars senseless with the duo

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My reveal tier list:

S: :ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon:
All of these guys were my most wanted characters, so I was psyched to see them make it.

A: :ultjoker::ulthero::ultrichter:
I play a lot of RPGs, so DQ and Persona are some of my favorites. Richter from Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood was a plus.

B: :ultincineroar::ultken:
Another Pokémon was cool and Ken was pretty much expected.

C: :ultinkling::ultdaisy:
Had a gut feeling that Inkling was coming and Daisy is alright.

D: :ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
More echoes, need I say more?

F: :ultpiranha:
This pretty much opens things up for generic enemies, fun to play as, but rather have big name characters put in the game first.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I propose a few options for a future installment:

1) Pull a Terminator: Dark Fate and treat N&B like it never happened.
2) Make N&B part of a large future that Gruntilda looked into between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie and have her manipulate L.O.G. into ruining the franchise.
3) Make a game actually titled Banjo-Threeie with the traditional collectathon formula and give it the side-quest of retconing Nuts and Bolts piece-by-piece until it's completely gone from the Banjo-Kazooie timeline. No L.O.G., no LEGO cars, no trace of Nuts and Bolts in sight.
I'd personally be pulling for the next installment to be called Banjo-Threeie. I'd like it if N&B was retconned in the most Banjo-Kazooie way possible, through the witty dialogue. Just have kazooie say something akin to "imagine if we lost our powers and had to drive a car to stop grunty" I can't imagine a better way for the duo to distance themselves from the nightmare that was N&B.

I personally wouldn't like it but how would you guys like voice acting in a new banjo game? I think the way of characters talking is way to iconic to remove however there could still be voiced lines like in sunshine mario and, from the e3 direct, Animal Crossing: New Horizons where in cutscenes its voiced but in gameplay they make noises.

Top Bottom