• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
You’ve heard of Banjo-Kazooie

Then there was Yooka-Laylee

Now let me introduce you all to the next generation of interspecies partnerships:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
"Is that nightmare? Is that true nigtmare?"

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So I'm replaying Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to pass the time until the squad come out in Smash Bros, and I was wondering what all your favourite worlds are in each game.

For me, my favourite worlds are Treasure Trove Cove and Hailfire Peaks.
Mine are Freezeezy Peak from Kazooie and Witchyworld from Tooie. Freezeezy is eezily my favorite stage--the music, the memorable characters and challenges, the beautiful landscape. I love everything about it. Treasure Trove Cove feels like either a close second, or a tie, though--my most memorable experience of Banjo-Kazooie as a kid was flying for the first time, and also has amazing characters and landscapes.

It makes me really wish I could easily play Kazooie and Tooie again, but have to decide if I'm buying the N64 carts, or a cheap Xbox 360 (they would be roughly the same price, and I already own BK and BT digitally on Xbox, my N64 carts were stolen), or wait for BK/BT or Rare Replay on Switch. Or PC already, it's taken way too long. So many options, but I'm still waiting to see what's best.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
So I'm replaying Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie to pass the time until the squad come out in Smash Bros, and I was wondering what all your favourite worlds are in each game.

I won't say for Tooie yet as I haven't replayed Tooie in a long time and don't know if my old opinions line up with present me but I can give my top 3 from Kazooie:

1. Treasure Trove Cove
2. Freezeezy Peak
3. Bubblegloop Swamp

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I got bored and made a remix of Gobi’s Valley in Mario Maker 2, it’s a simple collectathon level and requires simple puzzles to be solved as well as collecting all 7 50 Coins in place of Jiggies, shame it couldn’t be 10, but oh well.

Gobi’s Valley Remix
ID: D85-V01-Q1H

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think the maintenance thing might be a coincidence... even so, the blue dot thing happened again last week or so. If this really is an update, we might get Hero within this month. This goes in line with what a few other people have said regarding the time in-between characters. If it took much longer than July, that would mean Banjo could release a lot later than expected too, so I'm hoping Hero is this month.

That said, do you guys think Hero is bringing Home-Run Contest with him? If so, will Banjo & Kazooie bring another mode too?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah, but I got the impression that that was a screw-up on their part because someone scheduled the maintenance at/around the same time that they were planning to release Joker, hence the technical difficulties.
They're probably doing the maintenance ahead of time to prepare for the influx of downloads since they've learned from their mistake with Joker.

I think the maintenance thing might be a coincidence... even so, the blue dot thing happened again last week or so. If this really is an update, we might get Hero within this month. This goes in line with what a few other people have said regarding the time in-between characters. If it took much longer than July, that would mean Banjo could release a lot later than expected too, so I'm hoping Hero is this month.

That said, do you guys think Hero is bringing Home-Run Contest with him? If so, will Banjo & Kazooie bring another mode too?
Apparently there is this theory going around that fighters get released every 78 days and one of these days is the 4th of July which is in Summer. We'll find out tomorrow if the Hero gets released and confirms this theory true.

There are 78 days between the releases of Piranha Plant and Joker
78 days after Joker was released is July 4th, an American national holiday
78 days after that is September 20th, which is during Fall, aka Banjo's release timeframe
78 days after that is December 7th, Ultimate's 1 year anniversary
and 78 days after that is February 23rd, the month the fighter pass is supposed to be complete by

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Apparently there is this theory going around that fighters get released every 78 days and one of these days is the 4th of July which is in Summer. We'll find out tomorrow if the Hero gets released and confirms this theory true.
Eh, I'm not taking the 78 day thing so rigidly. I mean, these theories are supposed to give us estimates, maybe not exact dates... and depending on the content, not all DLCs might take the same amount of time, so there's that.

Even so, if nothing happens tomorrow, we could still get Hero till the end of July.

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
My favorite worlds are Click Clock Wood for BK and Hailfire Peaks for BT. Those worlds just had it all for me and to this day I can still randomly get Click Clock Wood's theme stuck in my head.

Second place would belong to Mad Monster Mansion and Mayahem Temple respectively.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, I'm not taking the 78 day thing so rigidly. I mean, these theories are supposed to give us estimates, maybe not exact dates... and depending on the content, not all DLCs might take the same amount of time, so there's that.

Even so, if nothing happens tomorrow, we could still get Hero till the end of July.
In the end, all that is, is moving the goalpost to me. One's not supposed to accurately expect when stuff happens, it's like the weather report.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
My favorite worlds are Click Clock Wood for BK and Hailfire Peaks for BT. Those worlds just had it all for me and to this day I can still randomly get Click Clock Wood's theme stuck in my head.

Second place would belong to Mad Monster Mansion and Mayahem Temple respectively.
I haven’t played through Banjo-Tooie that much, but in the first game, my favorites are:
1. Mad Monster Mansion
2. Gobi’s Valley
3. Freezeezy Peak
4. Bubblegloop Swamp -( would be higher if it wasn’t for the mini game with Mr. Vile)
5. Mumbo’s Mountain (nostalgic, but easiest and most basic level)

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman

1. Freezey Peek
2. Click Clock Woods
3. Mad Monster Mansion

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In the end, all that is, is moving the goalpost to me. One's not supposed to accurately expect when stuff happens, it's like the weather report.
I... don't follow. This "78 day theory" only uses the period between PP and Joker as evidence, so it can hardly even be called a pattern. It may be true, but also may not be.

Meanwhile, people have been guessing late June/early July for DLC Pack 2 since PP was stated to release in February. It mostly uses 2 months and a few days as a general period between DLCs, because we know the Pass ends in February 2020, meaning 12 months to release 5 characters.

I don't see why we should confine our expectations to a single day if the pattern we have is not a pattern at all. Especially when we have no idea about the exact amount of content each pack will bring and how much work has been done already.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I... don't follow. This "78 day theory" only uses the period between PP and Joker as evidence, so it can hardly even be called a pattern. It may be true, but also may not be.

Meanwhile, people have been guessing late June/early July for DLC Pack 2 since PP was stated to release in February. It mostly uses 2 months and a few days as a general period between DLCs, because we know the Pass ends in February 2020, meaning 12 months to release 5 characters.

I don't see why we should confine our expectations to a single day if the pattern we have is not a pattern at all. Especially when we have no idea about the exact amount of content each pack will bring and how much work has been done already.
Anyway, the point is people keep using theories as to when DLC drops. Which is pretty futile, since this is Nintendo we're dealing with here, as they release stuff at times that not everyone would expect logically. Hero will arrive sometime within thexe next couple of months, that's all that is certain right now.

But yeah, we can't tell how much work the staff has left, when the rest of the pass characters don't appear to be going too much faster just yet.

I'm sorry, I'm just fed up with the fanbase running the word "theory" into the ground for this speculation period.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Anyway, the point is people keep using theories as to when DLC drops. Which is pretty futile, since this is Nintendo we're dealing with here, as they release stuff at times that not everyone would expect logically. Hero will arrive sometime within thexe next couple of months, that's all that is certain right now.

But yeah, we can't tell how much work the staff has left, when the rest of the pass characters don't appear to be going too much faster just yet.

I'm sorry, I'm just fed up with the fanbase running the word "theory" into the ground for this speculation period.
Eh, I don't think it's "futile", just a matter of keeping your expectations in check while speculating. Like, if Hero and Banjo both released in their latest possible dates, that would mean we'd go until nearly the end of December with 3 out of 5 DLC fighters. Not only would that be bad for us to have to wait that long, it could signal something is wrong on Nintendo's side. So people are basically trying to predict release intervals that sound reasonable based on what little we know about the production.

But yeah, I understand being fed up. It's like with Costume Theory or Color Theory - they have some good points, but people take these things way too literally sometimes.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
that would mean we'd go until nearly the end of December with 3 out of 5 DLC fighters. Not only would that be bad for us to have to wait that long, it could signal something is wrong on Nintendo's side.
Keep in mind Joker was revealed back in December 6th and was released in April 17th, that is a 4 month gap between announcement and release. Hero comes out in Summer 2019, BanjoisAwesome2020 also said that there is maintenance happening on the Nintendo store and that blue light happening with Nintendo's YouTube channel so we'll see if it happens or not. People said the Box Theory was stupid but look what happened.

I really don't see the issue of talking about these theories. They exist as something to talk about to keep us speculating. If they don't add up, we give up on them and move on. If we don't have that, what else are we supposed to do? Just sit here and be quiet until they're released? Because that is just about as fun as saying "Literally anyone could be DLC fighter 4 and 5" and drop the subject entirely. I'm not saying to believe all these theories, It's just something to talk about until something does happen.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I really don't see the issue of talking about these theories. They exist as something to talk about to keep us speculating. If they don't add up, we give up on them and move on. If we don't have that, what else are we supposed to do? Just sit here and be quiet until they're released? Because that is just about as fun as saying "Literally anyone could be DLC fighter 4 and 5" and drop the subject entirely. I'm not saying to believe all these theories, It's just something to talk about until something does happen.
Yeah, but I mean with things like the chair theory and stage builder witch theory, things have gone out of control to the point that it's turned into a meme in regards to this fandom. It's not much fun right now when it's hard to tell who's wrong and who's right, and often leads to infighting.

Although it's still better than solving obviously fake leak puzzles.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, but I mean with things like the chair theory and stage builder witch theory, things have gone out of control to the point that it's turned into a meme in regards to this fandom. It's not much fun right now when it's hard to tell who's wrong and who's right, and often leads to infighting.

Although it's still better than solving obviously fake leak puzzles.
I talk about these theories like they're memes--fun, but not to be taken seriously, even though some did actually come true (for better or for worse). As for the 78 days thing--I think that gives us a rough idea how they're released given how long it takes to make Ultimate DLC characters, but likely a coincidence. A release date can possibly move a few days than intended depending on the circumstances (e.g., when a Direct is airing, releases of other titles). I think it gives us a rough idea of every 2.5 months.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I talk about these theories like they're memes--fun, but not to be taken seriously, even though some did actually come true (for better or for worse). As for the 78 days thing--I think that gives us a rough idea how they're released given how long it takes to make Ultimate DLC characters, but likely a coincidence. A release date can possibly move a few days than intended depending on the circumstances (e.g., when a Direct is airing, releases of other titles). I think it gives us a rough idea of every 2.5 months.
With that in mind, let's just hope they got just enough time to release the last two characters before the pass' deadline street date on February (though buying the characters alone afterwards will be possible, naturally).

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I'm not really sure I buy into that theory, but I do at the very least feel that we'll be getting info on the Hero either sometime this month or early to mid-August at the latest.

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't think Hero is releasing this week. If he was, I think they would have already finalized the release date by E3, or at least, they would have said "july" clearly, like they said "april" for Joker way back in february.
I think he will release in late july or early august. And then Banjo will be in mid-october.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Am I imagining this or didn’t they announce that a 4.0 update was coming? I don’t expect Hero to drop until they’ve released a Smash direct that explains 4.0 and Hero. Then we won’t get Banjo until a direct explaining a hypothetical 5.0 update and Banjo.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I don't think Hero is releasing this week. If he was, I think they would have already finalized the release date by E3, or at least, they would have said "july" clearly, like they said "april" for Joker way back in february.
I think he will release in late july or early august. And then Banjo will be in mid-october.
Funny enough, they updated the DLC page on the site but only to add Hero and Banjo's image link below Joker's at the top of the page where it leads you to each character's DLC section, except there's nothing there yet, just Joker and Plant. But a what random time to update.

I secretly keep hoping they oops the page and reveal new stuff, like that Castlevania slip.

I'm still confused as to why Banjo's page isn't available. Its not like Joker's where his render wasn't ready to show.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So I'm back to BT. Time for one of my least favorite worlds... Jolly Roger's Lagoon.

I'm going to say right off the bat that part of my dislike stems from me having a bias against water levels. So it's not like my judgement is completely objective. But even then, some things manage to get under my skin more than the usual water level. Which is sad, because this stage has some of the best music in Tooie.

With the level being divided in two parts, I end up liking everything on the surface and... hating about half of the stuff underwater. And since around 70% of the level is basically underwater... yeah.

So... let's see go some highlights, why don't we?

Jolly Roger's Lagoon Highlights (Surface)

Doubloons - These are interesting. You may consider the Notes as kind of currency because of what you need them for in BK and BT, but to have a world with a type of coin unique to it is an interesting touch for a collectathon of its time. It's not like they're rare to find and there's more scattered around (30) than you'll actually need (28). They unlock some stuff around the surface area of the world, like the room where you learn Underwater Egg Aiming and a few other collectibles.

Sunlight - Arguably Mumbo's most and least useful spell at the same time - go to the pier, use it once and you're done. Now, I know this one was the best way of preventing the player for dying easily on a level that is 70% underwater, but... I mean, making a whole new character playable for things like that? Luckily, for all the trash I've talked about his spells for the last three worlds, Mumbo redeems himself quite a bit from now on

Jolly Roger's Lagoon Highlights (Atlantis)

Alien UFO - Another element of world interaction, as they appear again later on. That's... all there is to it, really. They're probably one of the first few uses of the Ice Eggs, so there's that, I suppose.

Underwater Egg Aming and Talon Torpedo - Not much to say about aiming, what you see is what you get. It's essentially like Airborne Egg Aiming, but underwater. Talon Torpedo, though... man, does Kazooie really need to turn that much at the smallest tilt of the analog stick? Sure, it's easy to bust the blocked doors that require it, but the translucent fish... aiming for those is a pain in the ***. At least Kazooie gets Wing Wack on the surface, so she can attack without Banjo, so that's something, I guess.

Inkies - GOD, do I hate those octopi. Not only does it usually take a few eggs to freeze them (their tentacles tend to get in the way), they exist for no other reason than to cordon off sections of the map and prevent you from exploring freely in a fast manner without having to warp. I legitimately think Atlantis would be much, much better if they didn't exist, especially because...

Submarine Banjo - Why, Rare? Why do you like making cool transformations only for them to be short-lived? Sub-Banjo is only really used to play one speific minigame, Grunty's Submarine Challenge (basically Balloon Burst, but underwater and the mines actually hurt you if you run into them) and you can fight this level's boss with it too. In fact, Sub Banjo is the only transformation able to fight a boss - though it's not mandatory. Sure, it makes exploring faster, but you'll have to stop and use the sonar to freeze the Inkies in the way. Which is also pretty much the only reason the sonar is there in the first place.

Lord Woo Fak Fak - He's... boring. Not hard, just boring. Basically, It's kinda like Mr. Patch, but underwater. He has less weakpoints, but they're smaller too. The fight is way easier and less tedious if you're using Submarine Banjo, because then you have infinite ammo, faster swimming and better aiming. The trick for me is always to stay above him and attack when he turns away from you.

Bonus: in the room before his fight, first-timers might want to take a look at the names inscribed on the lockers...

Here's the totals:

Banjo-Tooie (U) snap0003.jpg

Next stop, Terrydactiland. Also, would you guys prefer if I used spoiler tags for the highlights? I realize this one was bigger than the rest and the posts might get bigger from here on, so...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Funny enough, they updated the DLC page on the site but only to add Hero and Banjo's image link below Joker's at the top of the page where it leads you to each character's DLC section, except there's nothing there yet, just Joker and Plant. But a what random time to update.

I secretly keep hoping they oops the page and reveal new stuff, like that Castlevania slip.

I'm still confused as to why Banjo's page isn't available. Its not like Joker's where his render wasn't ready to show.
Seems to me like they finally had time to train those interns. But not enough to think about uploading Memory articles again, bummer...

Dan

Smash Lord
Is Nuts & Bolts a bad video game? I understand it's a bad Banjo game (like Star Fox Adventures is a bad Star Fox game, but still good)... I would be playing it only cause it is a Banjo game, but am wondering if it'll be miserable even if I have an open mind. I'm pretty sure I played back in the day, got to the first stage and it was just a wide-open arena so I dropped it subsequently; I did watch JonTron's video, but that was more so for comedic effect than actually delving into it.

Dan

Smash Lord
So I did actually start playing N n B to see for myself, and the sad thing is their 2008 Spiral Mountain looks just as good as Smash Ultimate's.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Disclaimer: This rant isn't targeted at anyone in this thread or even on this site in particular. I see "theory" talk mucking up Smash Discords the most.

I hear you man. The majority of these theories are just so absurd.

I'm weary of seeing people cling to and peddle these very poorly thought out hypothesis one after another, after another, after another. The ones that come to a grand conclusion after citing a pitiful number of past occurrences as "evidence" are the ones that bug me the most. Or maybe it's the ones that make no marketing sense... Ah, they often go hand in hand, why try to narrow down which is the worst?

Why would the colors of some chairs in the background, or a book that is barely visible hint to a character? Why would a company so strictly adhere to a 78 day release schedule? Why would a second "companion" character always accompany a playable character in the mural?

I wish people would remember that Nintendo and Sora Ltd are in the business of game development and marketing, not creating miniature ARGs.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
lol, Mumbo yelling at me to not spend much time on foot in Nuts & Bolts... I just wanna play Banjo-Kazooie damnit! The worst part about it is the potential is there and they could've clearly nailed it out of the park: swimming underwater, running around jumping, using what little combat there is on enemies... sigh.

This is what Star Fox Adventures is to Star Fox... they clearly tried and it's probably pretty solid, but just too much of a departure from the norm.

Top Bottom