• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Unless they reveal a surprise bonus fighter!
Even if we get bonus characters, I highly doubt it will be before February. And even then, I think we would wait a little while for more content.

There is very little reason for them to be working on a bonus fighter right now, with Banjo, Fighter #4 and Fighter #5 still unreleased. The Pass is a priority, it needs to finish before anything else can happen.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Even if we get bonus characters, I highly doubt it will be before February. And even then, I think we would wait a little while for more content.

There is very little reason for them to be working on a bonus fighter right now, with Banjo, Fighter #4 and Fighter #5 still unreleased. The Pass is a priority, it needs to finish before anything else can happen.
Right. But if we get a bonus stage between them, I hope for a Minecraft stage!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Besides it feels so weird to expect singular bonus stuff right now. It's not exactly like Smash 4 so far. They seem like they have more specific plans for the DLC this time around, and until further notice it'll be grouped up.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So aside from another Pass with more characters, I would love to see more if not all of the missing stages from the past games came back just so we can say "Everywhere Is Here!".

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
The worst thing about not all stages coming back is that DK, Metroid and Star Fox are stuck with Brawl as their newest set of stages despite getting more characters. Really, was bringing back Pyrosphere without Ridley not an option? Or simplifying Jungle Hijinx so it automatically swaps between the two level areas?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The worst thing about not all stages coming back is that DK, Metroid and Star Fox are stuck with Brawl as their newest set of stages despite getting more characters. Really, was bringing back Pyrosphere without Ridley not an option? Or simplifying Jungle Hijinx so it automatically swaps between the two level areas?
The weirdest exclusion is Woolly World. Most cut stages had something holding them back, but Woolly World had nothing. Not sad about it, because Woolly World was awful, but it's still peculiar.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So aside from another Pass with more characters, I would love to see more if not all of the missing stages from the past games came back just so we can say "Everywhere Is Here!".
But do people really want Icicle Mountain back? Even 75M took more priority over that. Besides, Summit is much cooler anyways.

The weirdest exclusion is Woolly World. Most cut stages had something holding them back, but Woolly World had nothing. Not sad about it, because Woolly World was awful, but it's still peculiar.
If it doesn't come back with Poochy, then it simply doesn't make any sense. Maybe Sakurai developed an allergy to yarn, or something.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I couldn't agree more! When they first announced it as the 'Ultimate' Smash game and showed so many stages coming back, I was praying that was the route they were going and bringing back nearly every stage to Smash! And while only 15 are missing and some of the past stages were rendered redundant by later incarnations such as Planet Zebes and Sector Z with Brinstar and Corneria, I would still like to see them make returns if only for the 64 aesthetics. Speaking of which, I've also been wanting stage skins for the previous versions of Battlefield and FInal Destination. Imagine being able to play across those stages of Smash history, including the 64 versions for the very first time in multiplayer! Just having the option to choose between them would be amazing to me.
1566472611616.png

1566472671952.png

1566472692856.png

1566472716488.png

1566472740637.png

1566472817447.png

1566472839574.png

1566472861810.png

1566472883106.png

1566472913685.png

Plus, bringing back Poke Floats, Mute City (Melee), Rainbow Road (3DS), Pac-Maze, Jungle Hijinxs, Pyrosphere, Woolly World, and Orbital Gate Assault would make me very happy lol. I would even want Flat Zone 1 & 2 as alternate options to Flat Zone X, same with Pictochat 1 and 2 choosing between either or. Heck, even Icicle Mountain and Rumble Falls would be fun at certain points to play on just for nostalgia (plus adding to the choices for Ice Climbers and Donkey Kong to play on and having Battlefield and Final Destination options could make them better to play on too).

And speaking of stages, as nice as it is to have a new stage for every DLC character, I'd still like to see new stages period for different games and characters. How can we have had Bowser in Smash since Melee and NOT have a legit and proper Bowser's Castle stage?! It's such an iconic locale in Mario games, plus, imagine all the cool Bowser/boss music they could add to it? I think aside from a Fighter's Pass, we need a Stage Pass too lol.

And I really hope more modes are returning. I legit want an updated HD version of Smash Run on the Switch. That was one of the most fun modes I've played in Smash Bros. history.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean, plans can change in the future, but I said that because if we're getting Rare games whether through Replay or N64 Mini, I'd rather not wait for too long lol.

... wait, they actually "tried" to justify it in a relatively reasonable-sounding way? That's honestly more than I expected from Onion satire, especially considering the absurdity in the content of some of their Youtube videos (a specific example came to mind, but I don't think I can post it here XD).
That's why I'm now being cautious and not expecting any Rare games--while company's sometimes lie, in this case, they have no reason to, and from their statement it sounds really clear that Ori was the last of the ports planned. How they can't just port the N64 versions of BK/BT without alterate plans like a Rare Replay/N64 mini as a part of their inclusion is beyond me.

And yeah, essentially the article reads exactly like an IGN article, with the only joke being they're lowering it by a measily .1%. Onion has two modes--either hammering the same joke over and over again, or going to ridiculous extremes, and it's the former. :rotfl:

EDIT:
As for missing stages, the biggest missed opportunity in my eyes is Pac-Maze--how in the world can you not include the most iconic setting for a character? Pac-Land has iconic imagery, but not to the extent of Pac-Maze literally representing the type of game most people have played. I understand they would have to change the gimmick or remove it, but yeah, they should have.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I’m so glad you said this. I’d actually take this over any new characters. Since they brought everyone back, the game will never feel complete to me without every stage being back. I hope at the very least we get a couple back, like Rainbow Road and some of the easier ones to port.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The easiest ones to bring back would be Poké Floats and the missing Wii U stages. The hardest ones would be Rainbow Road and Mute City.

Banjo's inclusion would be the best moment to bring back the missing N64 stages, but it's not gonna happen.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
My whole point for this game, especially now that Banjo & Kazooie have finally made it in, is I want to experience everything I could in previous Smash Bros. titles... but with the characters I've been waiting literal decades for to be in! To play through Smash Bros. history on every stage against every character and experiencing practically every mode ever devised in Smash Bros. with the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies would be a true video game hall of fame indeed! Being able to traverse the labyrinthine mazes of Smash Run while jumping on Goombas and Koopas and avoiding Ornes with a Talon Trot, clobbering a Sandbag and sending it flying as far as a Beak Bomb, boarding the platforms of old school Smash 64, racing to the finish of 64 and Melee's obstacle courses, hitting as many targets in as short amount of time as possible, having an updated Chronicle featuring all of Nintendo's video game history up to now and officially including Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie among it, heck, even traversing those stupid Smash Tour levels with the chance of having Banjo & Kazooie join the party would be absolute bliss. All in one game.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
At the end of the day, I honestly believe that other than their guest appearence in Super Smash Bros that Banjo-Kazooie is gonna come back on a Nintendo platform one way or another.

Most Unlikely: Rare Replay (Nintendo Switch)

Everyone wants to see this happen, Even better would be if they included all the Rareware Donkey Kong games and possibly Star Fox Adventures, Hell I think many would still by a neutered version of Rare Replay even if they had to cut out the Xbox era games due to emulation problems, I would buy it day 1 and wouldn't even mind the Nintendo/Switch tax, But just like I mentioned before the biggest issue has to be the Xbox emulation and how Rare Replay has so many seperate games installed different ways into one package (Pre-N64 games are on the disk, N64 XBLA ports are separate downloads excluding Conker and JFG, Xbox 360 are also seperate downloads), I'm sure it's not impossible, But I wonder if Microsoft would go through the trouble porting it and if Nintendo would collaborate with DK.

Likely: Rareware games on the N64 Classic.

After Nintendo, Rareware probably played the most vital role for them during the N64 era when most developers jumped ship to Sony's Playstation, While it's definitely possible for Nintendo to play it safe and make a game lineup without Rareware's library, It would still feel neutered, decimated and most importantly ignoring a big chapter of Nintendo history's. The biggest question is not "If" ? ,But "When" ? I still feel just like the NES and the SNES the N64 will eventually get the "Classic" treatment, During the Wii U era, Nintendo struggled to consistently release 1st Party games on schedule and towards the end of that era they held back Wii U development in anticipation of the Nintendo Switch seeing how the system was a lost cause, So to pad out the holiday season in 2016 they released the NES Classic Edition which was a success and it was only natural to follow it up with the SNES and the return of the NES in late 2017 due to poular demand, Now that the Switch is sellling like hot cakes, I kind of feel like they will only break out the N64 Classic if needed to pad out a weak release schedule namely during the holiday season, But for now Nintendo will keep that product in reserve.

Most Likely: Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie XBLA ports available on Nintendo's eShop.

To concide with Banjo-Kazooie's long awaited Super Smash Bros debut, Microsoft will release both N64 games on Nintendo's digital store, This is an easy decision that takes very little effort on both Nintendo and Microsoft's end, Advertising the Duo via Super Smash Bros will cater towards longtime fans who grew up with Banjo-Kazooie on the N64 and attract young and new fans who haven't experienced these classics and want to see what all the buzz is about.

I will be happy with any of these possiblities and I'm sure one if not more are bound to happen, Of course I will be disappointed if they don't take advantage of the hype/momentum of Banjo-Kazooie joining Smash, But we should consider ourselves lucky and thankful that Nintendo and Microsoft are playing ball to even make this a possibility.

I would prefer Rare Replay on Nintendo Switch and Rareware on N64 Classic Edition seeing how they will be available physically, But will still happily take Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the eShop as a consolation prize if that's all we got.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
There is one thing I haven't seen discussed yet: What the screen in the Boxing Ring stage will call Banjo & Kazooie. What do you guys think it will say for them?

Especially since the game the stage was based on sold good.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Banjo's inclusion would be the best moment to bring back the missing N64 stages, but it's not gonna happen.
Never say never.

There is one thing I haven't seen discussed yet: What the screen in the Boxing Ring stage will call Banjo & Kazooie. What do you guys think it will say for them?

Especially since the game the stage was based on sold good.
I don't know. Maybe "Bear and bird" or "Dream duo" to reference Project Dream.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think my highest hope would be Rare Replay, simply so we could also get Conker with it. However, I hesitate with Rare Replay, because I really, really, really hate the changes they made at the end of Banjo-Kazooie. And knowing Xbox, they'd want to keep the reference to N&B to advertise a game exclusive to their console. I would much rather have the original less polished N64 ports, even without the QOL changes, than have those parts that stick out like a sore thumb.

In an ideal world, they'd take the original port, re-polish it with the updated visual elements and QOL changes, but keep the Nintendo-specific stuff in.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If there is any 4chan leak I'd want to be real, it'd be this one

Want this to be real.png

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Everyones thinking Banjo on 9/24... one more month till the prodigal son/daughter returns

Datamines are making this seem more legit by the day. Dragon Kazooie and Sunglasses are amazing alts
Really?! We could actually fight Grunty again?! That would make me so happy!

Yeah it never specified the month but I'm sure it mean't September like everyone else is predicting.
:( I wanted August...of course, this month is flying by faster than I thought.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Very interesting idea combining Spiral Mountain with a seasonal change a la Click Clock Wood! I'd be so down for that and see how they would be able to come up with that. Not sure how legit this is though since I highly doubt there would be that many songs, let alone remixed tracks as they put it. I mean I could see them procuring 20 tracks for a Banjo-Kazooie stage, since the music is so iconic and each game had plenty of awesome themes to use for their stage, but all of them being new remixes? That's suspect. Love the Codec conversation/Palutena guidance idea for them on their stage, although I would hope it would be more of Gruntilda rhyming about the fighters than Banjo & Kazooie saying anything about them, but I'd be open to see what kind of dialogue they could come up with. Just having something like that for their stage would bring something so comedic and iconic from their games in, since the dialogue and snarky witty British banter is part of what made those games, and Rare in general, so terrific!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Very interesting idea combining Spiral Mountain with a seasonal change a la Click Clock Wood! I'd be so down for that and see how they would be able to come up with that. Not sure how legit this is though since I highly doubt there would be that many songs, let alone remixed tracks as they put it. I mean I could see them procuring 20 tracks for a Banjo-Kazooie stage, since the music is so iconic and each game had plenty of awesome themes to use for their stage, but all of them being new remixes? That's suspect. Love the Codec conversation/Palutena guidance idea for them on their stage, although I would hope it would be more of Gruntilda rhyming about the fighters than Banjo & Kazooie saying anything about them, but I'd be open to see what kind of dialogue they could come up with. Just having something like that for their stage would bring something so comedic and iconic from their games in, since the dialogue and snarky witty British banter is part of what made those games, and Rare in general, so terrific!
The 20 remixes statement is already a red flag for me on this one, let alone that it's from 4Chan. Everything else including seasonal changes with music, Sunglasses Banjo and Dragon Kazooie, Mii costumes, smash taunt and the two narrating their moveset for the direct would be awesome to see.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wanted August...of course, this month is flying by faster than I thought.
To be fair, we're not supposed to expect anything to happen until the assumed forthcoming Direct early next month. If the poster meant tomorrow, the killswitch would die immediately.

Well, at least they don't try to "leak" anything beyond Banjo's stuff for once. Points for putting some modicrum of effort to make it look convincing, for once.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I always imagined Banjo Codecs to involve the main cast of characters and not just Gruntilda. Kazooie is just as "insightful" as Gruntilda is if not more so, lol!

If it does happen, they shouldn't hold back on the roasting. Every character should get their feelings hurt! Mwahahahahahaha!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Really hoping for Rare Replay to happen. Pretty sure Sabi might have said something about that last Spring IIRC.

This is most likely fake but hot damn I would kill to have a sunglasses Banjo/Dragon Kacooie alt.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think if any stage should've been altered, Pac-Maze ought to be first on the list. I mean it's one of the most iconic "locations" in gaming, while the alternative is one of the most abysmal stages in the whole series.

I guess tweaking stages' functionality wasn't much of a priority though. :/

Woolly World was the most taxing stage on the game last time, I suspect it provided performance issues in 8-player Smash, especially if you had like sixteen ICs running around.

...why would Grant Kirkhope be writing dialogue? He didn't even do that for Rare.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, 3 years isn't much development time for a game as big as this, so some sacrifices had to be made along the way.

People assume future games will have a hard time living up to Ultimate, yet they forget about the little things, like missing stages and modes. I'm sure that someday there will be another entry that can be as beloved. After all, it took until now to finally get an entry that didn't get stuck under Melee's massive shadow, competitively speaking.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Just a reminder that

BANJO AND KAZOOIE ARE CEMENTED INTO THE VIDEO GAME ICON HALL OF FAME.

That is all.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Game theory: Is Drumstick the Rooster Kazooie's dad?:4pacman:

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I always imagined Banjo Codecs to involve the main cast of characters and not just Gruntilda. Kazooie is just as "insightful" as Gruntilda is if not more so, lol!

If it does happen, they shouldn't hold back on the roasting. Every character should get their feelings hurt! Mwahahahahahaha!
Though I know Kazooie probably does have a deep hidden respect for Mario. After all, he's Mario, one of the most recognizable icons of gaming everywhere.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah. Meanwhile, this reply chain implies we may not wait long for news of something:

Not sure if the user's associated with Sabi though.

Edit: UPDATE!
Judging from the context, I think that guy could be trolling, but I'm not sure, so...

Whoa, so many... I wonder, do some of these correspond to already-announced titles, like Astral Chain and Link's Awakening?

Even if Banjo only gets released by the end of the month... Fighter #4 may be teased soon if the Direct happens in the first half of September.

EDIT: New update - https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1164663407682789376

Last edited:
Top Bottom