• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Fully agree. Not only have we never received just one character at E3 (close with Ridley, but I'll count in Daisy), but it's been a really long time since we heard of a character (by E3- it will have been 7 months). We are to receive them all by February (and honestly I think thats the end of projected time frame, meaning we could get them all sooner). Sure Nintendo usually back loads years with content (making BotW all the more of a treasure), but we cannot actually keep a strong pace the rest of DLC time line without two at E3.

And honestly, Banjo and Kazooie would be a great fit alongside Steve. If one company were to get two announced at once, it makes sense to be Microsoft at E3- Banjo and Kazooie appeal to a widely different audience than Steve, who is often different from Joker (and all three have quite different aesthetics as well).

Then, August/September and December for the final two character announcements.
I’m honestly starting to think we could be getting Erdrick and Banjo at E3. They’ve been teasing a lot of Dragon Quest stuff so it would make sense to use the opportunity to announce Erdrick. And then bam, hit ‘em with Banjo at the end to lead into all the Microsoft related stuff

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Eh the well of gaming icons is running out. There aren't many characters bigger than Banjo at this point.
Banjo & Kazooie are my 2nd most wanted character, but I'm not going to lie, there are tons of characters more iconic than Banjo & Kazooie.

Characters like:

Master Chief
Doom Guy
Sora
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Lora Croft
Kratos

And more characters I can't think of at the moment are all more iconic.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That's true that Frogger is the most iconic Konami character not in Smash, but there are other Konami characters like Goemon for example that would translate better into fighters than Frogger would.
That's really an opinion of imagination.
Personally, I think Frogger- a game in part famous for how many different ways the original version of Frogger was animated for death- fits wonderfully into Smash. He would be more unique, just inherently than Goemon could possibly be, adding a new silhouette and overall movement.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's really an opinion of imagination.
Personally, I think Frogger- a game in part famous for how many different ways the original version of Frogger was animated for death- fits wonderfully into Smash. He would be more unique, just inherently than Goemon could possibly be, adding a new silhouette and overall movement.
Goemon would have Impact which is this giant robot that can shoot lazer beams as his Final Smash. You can't deny that wouldn't be awesome.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Goemon would have Impact which is this giant robot that can shoot lazer beams as his Final Smash. You can't deny that wouldn't be awesome.
It sounds pretty generic to me. Like one of the reasons many people dislike Avatar: The Legend of Korra season four.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo & Kazooie are my 2nd most wanted character, but I'm not going to lie, there are tons of characters more iconic than Banjo & Kazooie.

Characters like:

Master Chief
Doom Guy
Sora
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Lora Croft
Kratos

I'll agree that there is still some bigger names than Banjo-Kazooie, But the one thing I will give the edge to BK over all other characters you mentioned is that they have origins and strong ties with Nintendo and have more meaning to the Smash and Nintendo fans.

Though I would be cool with Crash Bandicoot and to a lesser extent Spyro joining Smash and wouldn't mind Rayman either.

Side note: Interesting that 7 out of the 8 characters you mentioned are Western and probably you already aware, But Kratos is 1st Party Sony Character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I only made that comparison because I was responding to someone who claimed Banjo would be chosen because of fan demand. And I said that Sakurai only occationally puts characters in because of fan demand.

So the arguement of Banjo getting in Smash because it's what the fans want isn't a very good one. If you want to make an argument that Banjo is a gaming icon well that's another story and a little more complicated.

I would say Banjo is somewhat of a gaming icon. Many people pointed out how important he was in the N64 era. But like I said before, Banjo is competing with everyone. That means he is competing with other gaming icons. Ones that are probably even bigger than he is.
I really can't get behind the idea that fan demand would prove anything other than pivotal in Banjo's inclusion. Characters that have been out of the limelight for so long are basically only kept alive by fans.

Eh the well of gaming icons is running out. There aren't many characters bigger than Banjo at this point.
There aren't many gaming characters not in Smash that are bigger than Banjo? Can't say I agree with that.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Does this look generic too you?
Thank you for that, it made me giggle.

It actually reminded me a lot about Austin Powers.

...though yes, the actual Laser Portion seemed like a general laser in Goemon shape.
Much like K Rools final Smash.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I drew Banjo and Kazooie recently, felt like you guys would like it maybe.

banzoowi.png

I've been listening to a lot of Banjo music, it's actually really good. Hope to see them and their songs in Smash!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Their big difference is that Geno relies completely on fan demand, whereas at least Banjo Kazooie has a more specific legacy as N64 icons to fall back upon and Banjo Kazooie have at least made notable appearances since their first appearance.
That's incorrect. Banjo will not be getting into Smash for any sort of impact he has had on gaming. He may be a big part of the N64 but if Nintendo and Sakurai are looking for legacy of any kind and you think they will pick Banjo over Master Chief or Steve then that's crazy. The absolute only thing Geno has is popularity and the absolute only thing Banjo has is popularity. And I should point out their respective impact in comparison to each other is unimportant it's their comparison to the other characters of the parent company that matters. So yes in comparison to Geno Banjo has his N64 legacy but it means nothing in the face of his Microsoft competitors. We literally are the Geno of Microsoft right now.

Your making it seem like Banjo-Kazooie's "Legacy" doesn't and shouldn't matter and that the only reason they and other newcomers should be considered for Smash is because of "Popularity" regardless of background.

Banjo-Kazooie didn't just appear in Diddy Kong Racing as a one off character and fade into obscurity only to develop a "Cult Following" to show for his reasons for Smash like Geno, Banjo-Kazooie was built and brought up to be a franchise in mind with starting roles in major games and spinoffs and that's how they got their "Popularity", They freaking earned it by building their legacy even if it was somewhat short-lived.

The only major thing they have in common with Geno is that they are popular among the Smash community and it helps that he's tied to a Mario game, But BK has something that all 3rd Party Characters have in Smash that Geno doesn't and that's "Franchise Legacy".
Because it doesn't. Hey I won't argue Banjo is great and I want his N64 heyday to matter for Smash but it doesn't. In the face of Master Chief and Steve, anything he's accomplished on the 64 means nothing. It's 100% just popularity that will get him anywhere.
Twenty years later and you're still going to have a lot more people recognize Banjo than Geno due to one being the titular protagonist of a successful series with multiple titles and the other being a supporting one-off in a spin-off during a console's twilight years that didn't release globally.

Sure the long bout of nothing will fade those stars, but given Banjo's shone so much brighter to begin with, he's still left with more.
That is true but it doesn't matter all that much. I'm not comparing which of the two deserves to be in Smash more. I'm talking about how they are in an extremely similar position which is they are relying 100% on fan pull to be given a place on the roster despite the abundance of much bigger names of the host company. And that Banjo fans giving examples of why a character like Geno's popularity shouldn't matter isn't good for us.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Can I just say, even if Banjo doesn't make it in, I'll still be perfectly happy with the outcome because of all of the out pour of love and passion for the bear and bird? This is the kind of thing I didn't think I'd see ever again, stuff I only recall from the early 00's when Tooie was still relatively fresh. The little girl in me, the little one who grew up playing B-K and B-T, is crying tears of joy over that.

Y'all are great. Never give up.

That's incorrect. Banjo will not be getting into Smash for any sort of impact he has had on gaming. He may be a big part of the N64 but if Nintendo and Sakurai are looking for legacy of any kind and you think they will pick Banjo over Master Chief or Steve then that's crazy. The absolute only thing Geno has is popularity and the absolute only thing Banjo has is popularity. And I should point out their respective impact in comparison to each other is unimportant it's their comparison to the other characters of the parent company that matters. So yes in comparison to Geno Banjo has his N64 legacy but it means nothing in the face of his Microsoft competitors. We literally are the Geno of Microsoft right now.

Because it doesn't. Hey I won't argue Banjo is great and I want his N64 heyday to matter for Smash but it doesn't. In the face of Master Chief and Steve, anything he's accomplished on the 64 means nothing. It's 100% just popularity that will get him anywhere.
If there’s so much competition standing in Banjo’s way, why has Phil Spencer always advocated for Banjo rather the other two? It’s a collaborative effort between the two companies and they both know that Banjo is the character linking them together. There’s rumors of Master Chief Collection coming to switch as well as other Xbox games, is that not good enough for Microsoft? Does Smash have to be the basket where they put all their eggs?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

And I assume you probably think that ''popularity" was the entire case for K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts getting into the roster right? The Ballot is the reason they're in, but I don't think Sakurai chose them because they were in the top 5 or 10. Ridley and K. Rool are like the two most iconic Nintendo villains after Bowser and Ganondorf. Simon is a legendary gaming icon that's been around since the NES days.

I think Sakurai chosen those characters not just because they were probably the most popular, but also because of how important and iconic they are to Nintendo gamers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey guys just to remember what did papa genos banjo rumor say during the grinch leak?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
And I assume you probably think that ''popularity" was the entire case for K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmonts getting into the roster right? The Ballot is the reason they're in, but I don't think Sakurai chose them because they were in the top 5 or 10. Ridley and K. Rool are like the two most iconic Nintendo villains after Bowser and Ganondorf. Simon is a legendary gaming icon that's been around since the NES days.

I think Sakurai chosen those characters not just because they were probably the most popular, but also because of how important and iconic they are to Nintendo gamers.
No. I think popularity is the sole reason why K Rool and Ridley are here.
If there’s so much competition standing in Banjo’s way, why has Phil Spencer always advocated for Banjo rather the other two? It’s a collaborative effort between the two companies and they both know that Banjo is the character linking them together. There’s rumors of Master Chief Collection coming to switch as well as other Xbox games, is that not good enough for Microsoft? Does Smash have to be the basket where they put all their eggs?
Because Banjo is the one the fans want because they are popular and I hope Sakurai thinks the same way which was my entire point. I'm saying if they pick characters solely on legacy we are screwed. I don't get how this even remotely deals with what I said.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
No. I think popularity is the sole reason why K Rool and Ridley are here.
No, it's not the entire reason. Them being DK and Samus's villains help them greatly to their inclusions.

Because Banjo is the one the fans want because they are popular and I hope Sakurai thinks the same way which was my entire point. I'm saying if they pick characters solely on legacy we are screwed. I don't get how this even remotely deals with what I said.
Picking characters off of legacy is better than just picking nothing but new or obscure picks.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I don't think so. Banjo & Kazooie's biggest competition is Steve no matter how you slice it.
Steve is all but deconfirmed. Honestly, Banjo has more to worry from a Battletoad than Steve. If we’re getting a Microsoft rep, it’ll be Banjo. I’d say if Microsoft gets a character, 75% chance it’s gonna be Banjo and that’s a conservative guess.

However, with the way we're getting the fighter pack, it would strongly seem that the missing Mii Costumes are coming in combination with the fighters and their parent company.

This means we’re getting:

A Capcom rep
A Square rep
A Bandai-Namco rep

And one more.

Konami already has ties to this game and their name on Ultimate’s copyright listing.

So I could totally see a random character no one is seriously predicting like Joker coming out of nowhere to represent Konami’s DLC. Possibly Frogger.

That all being said, I still think Banjo has the best chance besides Erdrick of being a fighter.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
No, it's not the entire reason. Them being DK and Samus's villains help them greatly to their inclusions.

Picking characters off of legacy is better than just picking nothing but new or obscure picks.
Yeah, them being the villains definitely helped. That's why they were sidelined for so long.
And that's great except Banjo is the obscure pick in this instance.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, them being the villains definitely helped. That's why they were sidelined for so long.
And that's great except Banjo is the obscure pick in this instance.
So you think obscure RPG characters like Isaac and Geno deserved to get in just as much as K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
I should probably try to sit myself down and actually beat Banjo Kazooie 1-2 before E3, never beat either one

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So you think obscure RPG characters like Isaac and Geno deserved to get in just as much as K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie? I don't think so.
I think you are misunderstanding something. I'm not debating the merits of Banjo versus other popular characters. I'm saying that Banjo is relying solely on popularity against the recognition and legacy of Halo and Minecraft and compared his situation to Geno's. A character whose claim to fame is just popularity against a bunch of characters who are more recognizable in the gaming scape. And that we as Banjo fans should want more Isaac's and Geno's in Smash because it shows characters who are popular can also be considered. And yes I do think Isaac deserves it because his popularity is just as big as theirs. I hold fast to the idea that if any three characters were added to Ultimate it should have been K Rool, Ridley, and Isacc. As for Geno I don't care in the slightest if he is ever added I just want popular picks to matter because it helps out Isaac and Banjo.
This tangent started because someone stated that Geno's popular status didn't matter because he was a side character and then started talking about how much Banjo has done for gaming and his popularity which is so ironic given how similar the situation is.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I don't think that whether or not a character is obscure (especially since that sort of thing is fairly subjective) means much; we know for a fact that Sakurai's wanted to put Geno in Smash since Brawl, and presumably, Square-Enix is the main thing standing in the way of that, so when it comes to the person making the decisions for who gets into Smash, a character's "obscurity" doesn't seem to mean a great deal on its own.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think you are misunderstanding something. I'm not debating the merits of Banjo versus other popular characters. I'm saying that Banjo is relying solely on popularity against the recognition and legacy of Halo and Minecraft and compared his situation to Geno's. A character whose claim to fame is just popularity against a bunch of characters who are more recognizable in the gaming scape. And that we as Banjo fans should want more Isaac's and Geno's in Smash because it shows characters who are popular can also be considered. And yes I do think Isaac deserves it because his popularity is just as big as theirs as for Geno I don't care in the slightest if he is ever added I just want popular picks to matter because it helps out Isaac and Banjo.
We don't know the results of the Smash Ballot. Bayonetta and the Belmonts probably did better than Isaac and Geno because they're in. Bayonetta and the Belmonts had no presence of their popularity felt online at all during the Ballot and yet they were Ballot winners.

I don't think that whether or not a character is obscure (especially since that sort of thing is fairly subjective) means much; we know for a fact that Sakurai's wanted to put Geno in Smash since Brawl, and presumably, Square-Enix is the main thing standing in the way of that, so when it comes to the person making the decisions for who gets into Smash, a character's "obscurity" doesn't seem to mean a great deal on its own.
I guess you got a point. But I was saying who deserves it more.

Last edited:
I think you are misunderstanding something. I'm not debating the merits of Banjo versus other popular characters. I'm saying that Banjo is relying solely on popularity against the recognition and legacy of Halo and Minecraft and compared his situation to Geno's. A character whose claim to fame is just popularity against a bunch of characters who are more recognizable in the gaming scape. And that we as Banjo fans should want more Isaac's and Geno's in Smash because it shows characters who are popular can also be considered. And yes I do think Isaac deserves it because his popularity is just as big as theirs. I hold fast to the idea that if any three characters were added to Ultimate it should have been K Rool, Ridley, and Isacc. As for Geno I don't care in the slightest if he is ever added I just want popular picks to matter because it helps out Isaac and Banjo.
This tangent started because someone stated that Geno's popular status didn't matter because he was a side character and then started talking about how much Banjo has done for gaming and his popularity which is so ironic given how similar the situation is.
Didn’t Sakurai say he went with Simon and Richter because that’s who the fans wanted even though Alucard is the more relevant, popular character?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
We don't know the results of the Smash Ballot. Bayonetta and the Belmonts probably did better than Isaac and Geno because they're in. Bayonetta and the Belmonts had no presence of their popularity felt online at all during and yet they were Ballot winners.
Yeah, a ballot of 2 million clearly had such an excess of players voting. And Bayonetta wasn't being worked on right after the ballot started. No, it was all popularity by some silent majority that totally exists guys.
Even if those statements were true it still doesn't change the point I made about Banjo in the slightest.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, a ballot of 2 million clearly had such an excess of players voting. And Bayonetta wasn't being worked on right after the ballot started. No, it was all popularity by some silent majority that totally exists guys.
Even if those statements were true it still doesn't change the point I made about Banjo in the slightest.
So you're saying Sakurai is a liar? Because I trust him more than you or anybody else that has a opinion about how the Ballot went down.

Didn’t Sakurai say he went with Simon and Richter because that’s who the fans wanted even though Alucard is the more relevant, popular character?
Yep.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Characters like:

Master Chief
Doom Guy
Sora
Crash Bandicoot
Spyro
Rayman
Lora Croft
Kratos

Spyro and Rayman never had a presence in Japan which is a key market. I love them both to death though. The others are accurate and bigger names than Banjo though. I didn't say they were the biggest, I said there weren't many names bigger.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Spyro and Rayman never had a presence in Japan which is a key market. I love them both to death though. The others are accurate and bigger names than Banjo though. I didn't say they were the biggest, I said there weren't many names bigger.
But still, more people worldwide know who Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, and Rayman is.

Last edited:
I feel like if they can add Roy and Marth back in Melee despite the west having no idea who they were, they should do the same for the west with at least one or two characters. Sucks that we get the short end of the stick most of the time

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
When it comes to Banjo’s iconic status, I would say he’s not a gaming icon, but is a Nintendo icon. Which is why his unique status makes him suitable for Smash.

That being said, Rare dropped the ball. Rather than being afraid of their IP and wanting to try something new, they should have put their energy in Banjo and have their mascot be iconic even in the transition with Microsoft. And we can’t blame new Devs—Banjo’s original creator wants nothing to do with him, and missed an opportunity to take advantage in their beloved IP.

And I do feel like there are few characters left for Smash that would appeal to people like me. After Smash 4, I felt like nothing could top Mega Man and Pac Man. And after Ultimate, I still believe that. But Banjo & Kazooie appeal to myself and my childhood nostalgia, so I feel it would be the best way to come full circle for someone like myself, playing Smash 64 in ‘99 as a kid.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So you're saying Sakurai is a liar? Because I trust him more than you or anybody else that has a opinion about how the Ballot went down.
Hey man that's fine believe what you want. Even if goes against things we can see for ourselves. My points about Banjo still stand.

Top Bottom