• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Nuts & Bolts may be a questionable as the 3rd entry of the franchise mainly because of the dramatic shift in gameplay, But one thing that all BK fans can agree on is a Grant Kirkhope Soundtrack.
I think nuts and bolts would've been received better if microsoft gave the franchise some love before and after the fact.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Happy 400 pages, Banjo-Roos! And on Easter Sunday no less! Gotta celebrate the only way I know how! Here’s to hopefully hearing some good news for the beloved backpacking bear and bird this year!

Side note, I just now realized how weird the Banjo-Kazooie logo technically is: ‘BANjO- -KAZOOiE’. It looks fine on its own in the font it’s in but when you really look at it, it’s pretty goofy lol

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nuts & Bolts is such a weird situation, I feel like both Rare & Microsoft are at fault for it. I don’t get why Microsoft didn’t say “Just make us a Mario Rival”, like they should’ve done. Imagine a Banjo game that was trying to outdo the Galaxy games.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nuts & Bolts is such a weird situation, I feel like both Rare & Microsoft are at fault for it. I don’t get why Microsoft didn’t say “Just make us a Mario Rival”, like they should’ve done. Imagine a Banjo game that was trying to outdo the Galaxy games.
I mean by that point the 3D platformer and mascot platformer were seriously on the decline. The whole 3D platformer revival has only really been in the past couple of years and even then it's not so much a revival as much as sleepily and slowly reawakening. Mario was the only one who was doing well at that point, so I totally see Microsoft shying away from the traditional 3D platformer side of things at that specific moment to do something else.

Nuts & Bolts came out at a weird time. Everyone was all about the shooter games at the time. Rare always made it pretty clear that they felt the platforming genre was dead at the time and that’s why they wanted to change it up. NOW however would be a perfect time for a new Banjo game, with platformers back in the spotlight and 90s nostalgia being so prominent

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I remember reading somewhere that some on the Banjo-Kazooie team felt that the worlds were getting to big to traverse by foot and vehicle's were added to get around faster and easier.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feel like the reaction would have been a lot less hostile if they didn't spend the entire opening of the game making fun of people who like the platforming/collect-a-tom genre and advertising the game as an actual return of Banjo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean by that point the 3D platformer and mascot platformer were seriously on the decline. The whole 3D platformer revival has only really been in the past couple of years and even then it's not so much a revival as much as sleepily and slowly reawakening. Mario was the only one who was doing well at that point, so I totally see Microsoft shying away from the traditional 3D platformer side of things at that specific moment to do something else.
Also, the Microsoft president at the time was a dumb-dumb, which helped even less.

Nuts & Bolts came out at a weird time. Everyone was all about the shooter games at the time. Rare always made it pretty clear that they felt the platforming genre was dead at the time and that’s why they wanted to change it up. NOW however would be a perfect time for a new Banjo game, with platformers back in the spotlight and 90s nostalgia being so prominent
Luckily, Spencer seems open to the idea of Banjo getting something. Who will make the first step is the question.

I feel like the reaction would have been a lot less hostile if they didn't spend the entire opening of the game making fun of people who like the platforming/collect-a-tom genre and advertising the game as an actual return of Banjo.
When British self-deprecation goes too far.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It came out at a weird time, and I do agree with large parts of your post. Maybe not "everyone was all about the shooter games" but I see your point. That was the time when COD truly hit the big time, TF2 was fresh and the shift towards online shooters was pretty much solidifying. They were not every game, but they seemed unstoppable.

If there's one thing that helps out the platforming genre now versus 10 years ago, hmm. Oh wait. 10 years ago Sonic 2006 and Tattoo Crash were recent - Sonic Unleashed had a very rocky start. Spyro had a string of bad / mediocre games with him. Etc. That leaves Mario ruling the roost over the platform landscape, especially since Galaxy 1's a massive high point for the plumber.

I'd argue that the platformers' fall as a genre came from multiple famous characters suffering hard.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I remember reading somewhere that some on the Banjo-Kazooie team felt that the worlds were getting to big to traverse by foot and vehicle's were added to get around faster and easier.
I did feel that a bit in Tooie. I think a flying system with Kazooie going fast would’ve worked better. Or using Bottles’s mole hill to teleport around the maps once you’ve reached new locations.

I’ve said this before, but I think a new Banjo would be perfect for what Microsoft is aiming to do with Game Pass.

The studios they’ve bought recently indicate they want a diverse lineup for the service. A 3D platformer is something that would help diversify things a bit. They found a perfect studio for Killer Instinct & hopefully one for Battletoads. I feel they can find a right fit for Banjo.

I’m just hoping whoever gets the jobs is aiming to be as good as Mario Odyssey. Odyssey is my second favorite 3D platformer after the original Banjo; it’s definitely what the genre should strive towards now & Id love to see Banjo return in a similar fashion.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The Geno and Banjo comparisons are baffling.
I only made that comparison because I was responding to someone who claimed Banjo would be chosen because of fan demand. And I said that Sakurai only occationally puts characters in because of fan demand.

So the arguement of Banjo getting in Smash because it's what the fans want isn't a very good one. If you want to make an argument that Banjo is a gaming icon well that's another story and a little more complicated.

I would say Banjo is somewhat of a gaming icon. Many people pointed out how important he was in the N64 era. But like I said before, Banjo is competing with everyone. That means he is competing with other gaming icons. Ones that are probably even bigger than he is.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Question for the Banjo-Roos:

Is there a famous Konami character out there that is not a Spirit and would work as a DLC fighter?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The wait for E3's going to be long, seeing as most people feel compelled to keep being scotched to this forum.
For me it is the quickest it has been in years. So much gaming to do until then. And travel and events. And opportunity.

Then E3. I think I will throw a party this year. Cannot wait!

That will make Banjo even sweeter. Hopefully we get two characters maybe echoes too), and I have a connection to at least one of them.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Is there a famous Konami character out there that is not a Spirit and would work as a DLC fighter?
Frogger

Kinda surprised that he doesn't have some sort of content in Smash since he's one of the arcade icons of the 80's alongside Donkey Kong and Pac-Man.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think we will get two characters announced at E3 but then again I could be wrong.
I think we will get two characters announced at E3 but then again I could be wrong.
Fully agree. Not only have we never received just one character at E3 (close with Ridley, but I'll count in Daisy), but it's been a really long time since we heard of a character (by E3- it will have been 7 months). We are to receive them all by February (and honestly I think thats the end of projected time frame, meaning we could get them all sooner). Sure Nintendo usually back loads years with content (making BotW all the more of a treasure), but we cannot actually keep a strong pace the rest of DLC time line without two at E3.

And honestly, Banjo and Kazooie would be a great fit alongside Steve. If one company were to get two announced at once, it makes sense to be Microsoft at E3- Banjo and Kazooie appeal to a widely different audience than Steve, who is often different from Joker (and all three have quite different aesthetics as well).

Then, August/September and December for the final two character announcements.

D

Deleted member

I think nuts and bolts would've been received better if microsoft gave the franchise some love before and after the fact.
Rule 101 of a gaming franchise: If you bring a franchise that has been dormant for a while, NEVER try to bring it back in such a drastically different way, ESPECIALLY if it's a Follow Up with an established formula. This is to me, the reason as to why Nuts and Bolts ended up beign recieved the way it was.

SKX31

Smash Master
I am talking about all-time ratings of purchases. Go to Wikipedia and type in all-time selling gaming franchises. The Wii franchise is ahead of Mindcraft in number of all-time sales.
One important note (I don't mean to be rude, but this needs to be pointed out): the Wii franchise is comprised of Sports, Play, Fit etc. while I'm not sure if Minecraft's numbers include editions like Minecraft China (which is free-to-play and boasts 150 million accounts across all devices if the linked article's to be believed*).

(*Free to play games are kinda hidden this way: LoL's completely absent from Wikipedia's list because it's free to play with microtransactions; but League is MASSIVE, especially in Korea, China / Taiwan as well as NA and EU. Likewise, Dota 2 has a 10 millionish playerbase and is BIG in Russia, China and Southeast Asia, especially the Phillipines and Malaysia.)

Also edited the post since one of the phrases initially came off pretty wrong.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Depending on whether the "international appeal" stance still holds or not, Goemon. He's the only big Konami name left, seeing as Bomberman's an assist until further notice. Bill Rizer is close enough.

Fully agree. Not only have we never received just one character at E3 (close with Ridley, but I'll count in Daisy), but it's been a really long time since we heard of a character (by E3- it will have been 7 months). We are to receive them all by February (and honestly I think thats the end of projected time frame, meaning we could get them all sooner). Sure Nintendo usually back loads years with content (making BotW all the more of a treasure), but we cannot actually keep a strong pace the rest of DLC time line without two at E3.

And honestly, Banjo and Kazooie would be a great fit alongside Steve. If one company were to get two announced at once, it makes sense to be Microsoft at E3- Banjo and Kazooie appeal to a widely different audience than Steve, who is often different from Joker (and all three have quite different aesthetics as well).

Then, August/September and December for the final two character announcements.
On my end, I think that should we get two characters at E3, at least one may be noteworthy, the other one not as much. You never know who could be unveiled.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Rule 101 of a gaming franchise: If you bring a franchise that has been dormant for a while, NEVER try to bring it back in such a drastically different way, ESPECIALLY if it's a Follow Up with an established formula. This is to me, the reason as to why Nuts and Bolts ended up beign recieved the way it was.
Unless it's an IP that barely anyone cared about to begin with, like Kid Icarus.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Depending on whether the "international appeal" stance still holds or not, Goemon. He's the only big Konami name left, seeing as Bomberman's an assist until further notice. Bill Rizer is close enough.
Um... Frogger. Bigger than any Konami character, including Bomberman, and I'd argue, Snake.

On my end, I think that should we get two characters at E3, at least one may be noteworthy, the other one not as much. You never know who could be unveiled.
I don't think any of the DLC should be non-noteworthy.
Perhaps you mean to use another word?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
By that point you do a Breath of the Wild situation and just allow Banjo and Kazooie to freely glide and warp wherever they want.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Um... Frogger. Bigger than any Konami character, including Bomberman, and I'd argue, Snake.

I don't think any of the DLC should be non-noteworthy.
Perhaps you mean to use another word?
Yeah, but I don't think they'd use him unless they just have to resort to the anthro version from his later years.

Well, let me put it another way; one that fans want a lot and the other one not nearly as much?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
By that point you do a Breath of the Wild situation and just allow Banjo and Kazooie to freely glide and warp wherever they want.
Or do what HollowKnight does with not as big of a world, and just say, "screw it," making the character traverse too far, anyway. It's hours logged on the game!

Whoops... double...
Yeah, but I don't think they'd use him unless they just have to resort to the anthro version from his later years.

Well, let me put it another way; one that fans want a lot and the other one not nearly as much?
Fans are stupid. They won't know how much they want him until he is playable and incredibly unique.
He is recognizable. All Star status of gaming. Frogger earned it, if anyone did.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Whoops... double...

Fans are stupid. They won't know how much they want him until he is playable and incredibly unique.
He is recognizable. All Star status of gaming. Frogger earned it, if anyone did.
Yes, but for whatever reason we don't know about he is likely to be passed over. While anyone can think anyone stands a chance, no one is immune from simply not being considered until later, if ever.

I hope that wasn't worded confusingly.

Besides, I'd be shocked if Konami themselves even re-release his games at all...

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes, but for whatever reason we don't know about he is likely to be passed over. While anyone can think anyone stands a chance, no one is immune from simply not being considered until later, if ever.

I hope that wasn't worded confusingly.

Besides, I'd be shocked if Konami themselves even re-release his games at all...
Haha.. maybe a bit confusing.

Yes, any character could be passed over- but as you said, that could be any character.
Frogger stands just about as good a chance as any as far as I'm concerned- he is given a tribute in many forms of media, including blockbust movies about video games such as Pixel and Wreck-it-Ralph.

Sure, Sakurai could have avoided him- but maybe he did not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Haha.. maybe a bit confusing.

Yes, any character could be passed over- but as you said, that could be any character.
Frogger stands just about as good a chance as any as far as I'm concerned- he is given a tribute in many forms of media, including blockbust movies about video games such as Pixel and Wreck-it-Ralph.

Sure, Sakurai could have avoided him- but maybe he did not.
We'll see, I guess.

In the meantime, I think we could see a fan-favorite, and someone unexpected by everyone at E3.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We'll see, I guess.

In the meantime, I think we could see a fan-favorite, and someone unexpected by everyone at E3.
Oh, I agree.
If that was the differentiation, then it is seemingly possible. The two characters, should we get two/only two, whoever they are, will compliment each other and appeal as widely as possible to a full audience as the scope of E3 deserves. That's just marketing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I don't think we are going to get another Konami rep in this game. But if we do though, I think it will be either Goemon or one of the Contra guys.

That's true that Frogger is the most iconic Konami character not in Smash, but there are other Konami characters like Goemon for example that would translate better into fighters than Frogger would.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I only made that comparison because I was responding to someone who claimed Banjo would be chosen because of fan demand. And I said that Sakurai only occationally puts characters in because of fan demand.

So the arguement of Banjo getting in Smash because it's what the fans want isn't a very good one. If you want to make an argument that Banjo is a gaming icon well that's another story and a little more complicated.

I would say Banjo is somewhat of a gaming icon. Many people pointed out how important he was in the N64 era. But like I said before, Banjo is competing with everyone. That means he is competing with other gaming icons. Ones that are probably even bigger than he is.
Eh the well of gaming icons is running out. There aren't many characters bigger than Banjo at this point.

Top Bottom