• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Decided to visualize the thoughts I have for the DLC lineup I posted earlier (Which seems to have people talking)

1554789935691.png

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
There is and was basically no feasible scenario where Shantae would be added as a playable character in Smash.
I always believed if your a 3rd Party Character then you really have to have earn your way into the roster such as being an icon and playing an big part of Nintendo's history, (Bayonetta and Joker are questionable picks, But Bayonetta is almost a 2nd Party Character I guess), But this is Sakurai's game not mine so he calls the shots and at least their bigger than your average indie.

Super Smash Bros is essentially the "Big League's" or "Hall of Fame" when it comes to video games and crossover, I mean look at some of the 3rd Party's impacts and legacy:

Pac-Man: Namcos Mascot, Likely the 1st thing that pops up in your head when you think of the 1980's and help defined that era and the arcade, Along side Mario is the most recognizable video game character in history.

Sonic: Sega's Mascot, The "Blue Blur" brought attitude and speed as he was created as "Mario's Main Rival" when Nintendo and Sega were going at each other's throats during their iconic "Console Wars" of the 1990's.

Ryu: Only 2nd to Mega Man as the face of Capcom and is the most popular and iconic fighting game character in the world, Street Fighter 2 is what really put fighting games in arcades and on the map.

That's "Elite" company right there, Plus there's bigger fish to fry like Banjo-Kazooie, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman and Heihachi.

Part of me also kind of gets annoyed when every once in a while when there is some new hot indie game/flavor of the month game and then the developers and fans think that's enough to warrant them an invitation to the ultimate crossover and biggest stage of them all that is Super Smash Bros.
Shantae is an actual franchise that started in 2002 and with 4 games soon to be 5 (so she isn't a flavor of the week indie character), plus she has been heavily tied with Nintendo and her first 3 games started off exclusively on Nintendo. She is also in the game as a spirit and a player icon and not an assist (not that assist trophies deconfirm characters, but that's how people see it) Other points in her favor are her moveset potential, she has placed pretty well in Smash ballot fan polls (usually around the 10-15 range), and she is decently popular in Japan ever since her games have been localized there. I really don't think Sakurai is going to look at Shantae and go "oh she is an indie character AND from a western developer, can't have that". Some of you are vastly underestimating her chances and merits (not that it always matters, see Piranha Plant and Joker)

The only things she doesn't have is her name being in the more popular/"credible" rumors like say Erdrick, Steve or Banjo. But K. Rool, Joker, and Piranha Plant were not part of any major rumors either from my knowledge. She also isn't big like the other 3rd parties are.

It is like people saying Banjo isn't relevant, a western character, not that popular, or owned by a rival console so he has no chance and doesn't deserve to be in. As if relevancy and a character being western matters. And ignoring all his merits like that he was a Nintendo character, his games sold millions, is definitley in the top 5 in the smash ballot, Rare was the face of the 64 era and Banjo was their most popular non DK character, the head of Xbox has publicly stated that they would like to see him in Smash, and the recent rumblings about Xbox bringing game pass to the Switch.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
When it comes to Shantae, most of the facets people raise in her favour either don't really matter (longevity), aren't true (meaningful Japanese popularity), are widely applicable (moveset potential) or pale in comparison to Shovel Knight (general/ballot popularity).

It's not like she'd be rejected for being western or an indie, but the closest thing I can think of for getting Shantae over Shovel Knight would be like getting Spyro over Crash. They're fine characters, but clearly one has stronger merits. Or, how about this. Popularity got the two most requested third-parties into Smash. Their ranks were obvious and undisputed. And we didn't get Mega Man before Sonic.

It's no coincidence that Shantae and Shovel Knight wound up with the roles they did.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You....View attachment 205944

You better hope she doesn't get revealed or god forbid revealed BEFORE Bear and Bird. I'm fully confident B&K are getting in due to almost making it in for Melee so now is opportune time, but straight up acting as if Shantae's fate is set in stone....for shame.
Except it wouldn't bother me as I like the character Shantae. But it ain't gonna happen.

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Decided to visualize the thoughts I have for the DLC lineup I posted earlier (Which seems to have people talking)
I'd be really excited about both ouctomes ! Though i'm not entirely into the idea of another promotional character.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Corrin is the worst waist of a character in smash IMO despite the unique moveset

they where a avatar based character thrown in smash 4 to promote there game

But my issue with them is in ultimate ! we did not get a hoshido and/or nohr stage or any of the good songs from there games WHY NOT ? why bother developing a character to put in smash & promote to not add any of that stuff in the sequile to flesh them out ?

thats why corrin feels like nothing more then a promotinal character it was fine when they were just smash 4 DLC but they should have a stage & some good songs from there game in ultimate. it just feels like corrin is just kinda there & out of place

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Shantae is an actual franchise that started in 2002 and with 4 games soon to be 5 (so she isn't a flavor of the week indie character), plus she has been heavily tied with Nintendo and her first 3 games started off exclusively on Nintendo. She is also in the game as a spirit and a player icon and not an assist (not that assist trophies deconfirm characters, but that's how people see it) Other points in her favor are her moveset potential, she has placed pretty well in Smash ballot fan polls (usually around the 10-15 range), and she is decently popular in Japan ever since her games have been localized there. I really don't think Sakurai is going to look at Shantae and go "oh she is an indie character AND from a western developer, can't have that". Some of you are vastly underestimating her chances and merits (not that it always matters, see Piranha Plant and Joker)

The only things she doesn't have is her name being in the more popular/"credible" rumors like say Erdrick, Steve or Banjo. But K. Rool, Joker, and Piranha Plant were not part of any major rumors either from my knowledge. She also isn't big like the other 3rd parties are.

It is like people saying Banjo isn't relevant, a western character, not that popular, or owned by a rival console so he has no chance and doesn't deserve to be in. As if relevancy and a character being western matters. And ignoring all his merits like that he was a Nintendo character, his games sold millions, is definitley in the top 5 in the smash ballot, Rare was the face of the 64 era and Banjo was their most popular non DK character, the head of Xbox has publicly stated that they would like to see him in Smash, and the recent rumblings about Xbox bringing game pass to the Switch.
You say vastly underestimate, But I say vastly overestimate and it seems like 11 other people agree with my previous post on Smash qualification and criteria.

It may sound harsh, But Shantae was never a "Big Deal" to began with, She was just another character and game at the end of the aisle past all the 1st Party games and major 3rd party games at a retail store.

Her debut game managed to flop on the (Bigger Install Base) GBC, It couldn't even get a release on the then new GBA, Her franchise has always been a very niche and not mainstream, Most fans seem to overplay her legacy just because she had several games on Nintendo consoles ,But they were never even close to the level of impact and sales of other iconic 3rd Party Character in Smash. That makes it seem like any developer that can put a game and character on a Nintendo console regardless of it's impact and importance automatically qualifies for Smash consideration.

It takes it a lot more than move potential considering pretty much any character is capable of having one if you think hard enough, Some are just more obvious than others like Banjo-Kazooie for instance.

I never said that she was a "Flavor of the month" franchise, What I said is that it seems like every time in general a significant new indie game hits the scene, The developer and fans seem to always be pushing and thinking that that's enough for them to warrant a spot in Super Smash Bros.

The one thing I will say is that she seems to have gather a solid Smash following and has a more significant precense than your average indie game in that particular market.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
You say vastly underestimate, But I say vastly overestimate and it seems like 8 other people agree with my previous post on Smash qualification and criteria.

It may sound harsh, But Shantae was never a "Big Deal" to began with, She was just another character and game at the end of the aisle past all the 1st Party games and major 3rd party games at a retail store.

Her debut game managed to flop on the (Bigger Install Base) GBC, It couldn't even get a release on the then new GBA, Her franchise has always been a very niche and not mainstream, Most fans seem to overplay her legacy just because she had several games on Nintendo consoles ,But they were never even close to the level of impact and sales of other iconic 3rd Party Character in Smash. That makes it seem like any developer that can put a game and character on a Nintendo console regardless of it's impact and importance automatically qualifies for Smash consideration.

It takes it a lot more than move potential considering pretty much any character is capable of having one if you think hard enough, Some are just more obvious than others like Banjo-Kazooie for instance.

I never said that she was a "Flavor of the month" franchise, What I said is that it seems like every time in general a significant new indie game hits the scene, The developer and fans seem to always be pushing and thinking that that's enough for them to warrant a spot in Super Smash Bros.

The one thing I will say is that she seems to have gather a solid Smash following and has a more significant precense than your average indie game in that particular market.
I don't like to make assumptions on the likelihood of a character making it into Smash. Don't forget, before these past few years when Sm4sh was coming out, no one gave Banjo & Kazooie a serious chance because they were owned by a completely different company that wouldn't be able to crossover with Nintendo willingly without having to go through all kinds of hoops to make Banjo-Kazooie a possible inclusion for Smash. Then the Smash ballot came out and Phil Spencer (Sakurai bless him) stated his support for the bear and bird on multiple occasions, and with the recent 'friendship' Nintendo and Microsoft have been experiencing, suddenly everyone starts raising their eyebrows at the idea of Banjo & Kazooie actually possibly making a return to a Nintendo console as part of the biggest crossover in gaming history! I mean, heck, when Brawl was first announced, who expected a third party character to make it in, let alone the likes of freaking Snake from Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the freaking Hedgehog, a character who at one time was the official RIVAL of Nintendo and Mario? Now we have them, Mega Man, Ryu, & Ken representing Capcom (and bringing the classic Blue Bomber back on Nintendo consoles and revitalizing the classic games), Pac-Man representing not only Namco but the start of video gaming and arcades, freaking Cloud Strife who I never saw coming to Smash, Bayonetta which was surprising, Simon & Richter Belmont also making a return to Nintendo consoles with Snake representing Konami, and now Joker, someone who has hardly had ANY presence on Nintendo consoles, has been announced. So, while I think it might be a while before Shantae or Shovel Knight or any indie characters make it to the big leagues and become playable in Smash, never say never. They're in the game in some way, right? That's gotta mean something. I mean, I'm literally still skeptical of the idea that my dreams for my all-time favorite pair of video game characters might actually have a chance for a playable spot on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's roster. That's mainly why I've been more open-minded, and especially sympathetic, towards fans of characters like Issac, Geno, and Shantae. All of them I'd love to see, not only because they have moveset potential and unique and different styles, but because it would absolutely make the fans happy to have their voices heard and received. We're all in the same boat, especially us Banjo-Roos.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Corrin is the worst waist of a character in smash IMO despite the unique moveset

they where a avatar based character thrown in smash 4 to promote there game

But my issue with them is in ultimate ! we did not get a hoshido and/or nohr stage or any of the good songs from there games WHY NOT ? why bother developing a character to put in smash & promote to not add any of that stuff in the sequile to flesh them out ?

thats why corrin feels like nothing more then a promotinal character it was fine when they were just smash 4 DLC but they should have a stage & some good songs from there game in ultimate. it just feels like corrin is just kinda there & out of place
I can understand why they didn't put a new stage since they were remaking past stages and putting them in Ultimate, that was where the manpower went which is why we only got four new stages in this game. I'm a bit confused why they didn't bother adding any of the other songs from Fates though. There's a limit to how much you can put Lost in Thoughts All Alone.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't like to make assumptions on the likelihood of a character making it into Smash. Don't forget, before these past few years when Sm4sh was coming out, no one gave Banjo & Kazooie a serious chance because they were owned by a completely different company that wouldn't be able to crossover with Nintendo willingly without having to go through all kinds of hoops to make Banjo-Kazooie a possible inclusion for Smash. Then the Smash ballot came out and Phil Spencer (Sakurai bless him) stated his support for the bear and bird on multiple occasions, and with the recent 'friendship' Nintendo and Microsoft have been experiencing, suddenly everyone starts raising their eyebrows at the idea of Banjo & Kazooie actually possibly making a return to a Nintendo console as part of the biggest crossover in gaming history! I mean, heck, when Brawl was first announced, who expected a third party character to make it in, let alone the likes of freaking Snake from Metal Gear Solid and Sonic the freaking Hedgehog, a character who at one time was the official RIVAL of Nintendo and Mario? Now we have them, Mega Man, Ryu, & Ken representing Capcom (and bringing the classic Blue Bomber back on Nintendo consoles and revitalizing the classic games), Pac-Man representing not only Namco but the start of video gaming and arcades, freaking Cloud Strife who I never saw coming to Smash, Bayonetta which was surprising, Simon & Richter Belmont also making a return to Nintendo consoles with Snake representing Konami, and now Joker, someone who has hardly had ANY presence on Nintendo consoles, has been announced. So, while I think it might be a while before Shantae or Shovel Knight or any indie characters make it to the big leagues and become playable in Smash, never say never. They're in the game in some way, right? That's gotta mean something. I mean, I'm literally still skeptical of the idea that my dreams for my all-time favorite pair of video game characters might actually have a chance for a playable spot on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's roster. That's mainly why I've been more open-minded, and especially sympathetic, towards fans of characters like Issac, Geno, and Shantae. All of them I'd love to see, not only because they have moveset potential and unique and different styles, but because it would absolutely make the fans happy to have their voices heard and received. We're all in the same boat, especially us Banjo-Roos.
I never said it was impossible for indies to make it in, It's Sakurai's game he can add whoever he wants and do whatever he wants, But I and many others believe that 3rd Party Characters should be icons and have a significant impact with Nintendo's history, Plus there are bigger fish to fry that I believe should be prioritized first such as Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Heihachi, etc.

I'm sure that their are even characters that I don't care for or like that as long is that they check all the boxes I would understand their consideration for Smash.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There is and was basically no feasible scenario where Shantae would be added as a playable character in Smash.
There was no feasible scenario where any indie character would have been added to the roster to be honest.

A character that would face the same hurdles as her and would get included for the same reasons generally outclassed her in all relevant merits and only ended up as an AT.
The only thing Shovel Knight has above Shantae is he is more popular overall. Shantae has brownie points over Shovel Knight outside of popularity such as:

1. Her first 3 games were originally Nintendo exclusives before going multiplatform.

2. She has 4 games with another one coming this year while Shovel Knight only has one.

3. She has greater moveset potential than Shovel Knight.

4. She has seniority over Shovel Knight with her series being 12 years older than his.

5. She has more personality than Shovel Knight.

Sakurai would probably see her as the more unique character if he were to choose himself between the two for a slot on the roster.

View attachment 206068
If I get Banjo & Kazooie and Dixie Kong in the Season Pass, that will be all I need for this game to call it a day. :estatic:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

View attachment 206068
If I am going to be completely honest. Outside of Banjo and to a lesser extent Geno. None of those characters would excite me in the least.

This is going to come off as negative. I feel like the main appeal of the Kingdom Hearts games is the Disney aspect. I feel without that Sora will just be another anime guy who uses a blunt sharp weapon to fight. But just a bit more style to his moves. I never grew up with Crash or Dragon Quest so at most I will feel indifference (especially if the DQ rep is Slime. Erdrick is another story just in terms of how his gameplay would be). It seems like the last remaining popular Nintendo characters are just kinda scrapping the bottom of the barrel just to have some Nintendo characters or complete a full cast of characters like Dixie to complete the Donkey Kong series. And Pokemon, we just have to much of regardless of how creative Sakurai is about making them.

Man it sucks having a wish list that consists of "never evers" like TF2 characters and Phoenix Wright (till I see it with my own eyes)

But, I just want to make it clear everything I just said is not meant to put anyone down for characters that they want. Just how I personally feel. But, I will still be happy for the people that did get their characters in even if I am not at all interested in the fighter pass.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man it sucks having a wish list that consists of "never evers" like TF2 characters and Phoenix Wright (till I see it with my own eyes personally)
Now that Joker is in, I wouldn't even consider Phoenix Wright to be a never ever anymore. I thought he had a better chance than Joker honestly and I think he has an amazing shot to get in the Season Pass.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Now that Joker is in, I wouldn't even consider Phoenix Wright to be a never ever anymore. I thought he had a better chance than Joker honestly and I think he has an amazing shot to get in the Season Pass.
I have a feeling that other Capcom characters would outrank him sadly. Like, people think Resident Evil characters have a higher chance.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Shovel Knight is one of the most over rated piles of trash I've ever had the misfortune of playing, and I like Shantae but he was always more likely than Shantae.

He's basically the face of indie gaming, he's vastly more popular than Shantae, Nintendo published the game in Japan and he even got an amiibo. There's no way they'd opt for Shantae over him.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't actually know enough about Atlus and their games to tell you where Joker stands. :laugh:
Persona 5 was one the best selling titles of ATLUS last time I checked.

Not that it matters. We got Street Fighter and Mega Man before Resident Evil, even though both of them are smaller than it.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I have a feeling that other Capcom characters would outrank him sadly. Like, people think Resident Evil characters have a higher chance.
RE is a massive franchise but there could be an issue with the realistic guns that could prevent them from coming.

Though I feel that Phoenix/RE/Arthur are the next 3 Capcom characters that I could see getting into Smash. I'm just not really sure who's more likely than whom here.

Maybe Nintendo wouldn't, but Sakurai would.
There's a reason why Shovel Knight and Shantae both have a role in Ultimate, and Shovel Knight's is bigger.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Persona 5 was one the best selling titles of ATLUS last time I checked.

Not that it matters. We got Street Fighter and Mega Man before Resident Evil, even though both of them are smaller than it.
And Mega Man came before Street Fighter. In the base game, during a time when MM was on an extended hiatus, no less.

Company bias doesn't necessarily give you first dibs at a spot as the first picks for a third-party company.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's a reason why Shovel Knight and Shantae both have a role in Ultimate, and Shovel Knight's is bigger.
That's true, but Shantae is a spirit and Shovel Knight is an Assist so she is more likely to get in the roster at the moment since there is no evidence that shows spirits deconfirm characters.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
And Mega Man came before Street Fighter. In the base game, during a time when MM was on an extended hiatus, no less.

Company bias doesn't necessarily give you first dibs at a spot as the first picks for a third-party company.
I can see where they are coming from. Resident Evil is the last major popular Capcom franchise not represented in Smash. Ace Attorney can still be seen as a niche franchise. They might keep releasing the first three games over and over to try and get more people to play it lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master
That's true, but Shantae is a spirit and Shovel Knight is an Assist so she is more likely to get in the roster at the moment since there is no evidence that shows spirits deconfirm characters.
If you ask me, the fact that our first two known Fighter Pass characters (Joker and "Brave", presumably some kind of DQ character) are two characters with no notable presence in the base game is probably a good indicator that anyone that's a spirit probably isn't going to be DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If you ask me, the fact that our first two known Fighter Pass characters (Joker and "Brave", presumably some kind of DQ character) are two characters with no notable presence in the base game is probably a good indicator that anyone that's a spirit probably isn't going to be DLC.
Any characters that are spirits though could be in wave 2 if it happens. Also in your case, I hope that means we are getting Porky because he doesn't have a spirit.

Last edited:

Mr. Trumo

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna throw this out there. Who seems more likely for Smash 6? Not Ultimate, Smash 6.

-A character who is massively popular, is practically loved by Nintendo, may have only one game but said game sold around 2 mil, has his own line of amiibo, and was an Assist Trophy in Ultimate, alongside 5 spirits to represent his franchise

-A character who is decently popular, has 4 games, each on a Nintendo console (with 2 of them being exclusive to the eShop and DSiWare), with all 4 games selling fairly poorly, with the most recent game only breaking 100k, and has 2 spirits in Ultimate

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
-A character who is massively popular, is practically loved by Nintendo, may have only one game but said game sold around 2 mil, has his own line of amiibo, and was an Assist Trophy in Ultimate, alongside 5 spirits to represent his franchise
Shovel Knight.

-A character who is decently popular, has 4 games, each on a Nintendo console (with 2 of them being exclusive to the eShop and DSiWare), with all 4 games selling fairly poorly, with the most recent game only breaking 100k, and has 2 spirits in Ultimate
Shantae.

Just gonna throw this out there. Who seems more likely for Smash 6? Not Ultimate, Smash 6.
I think Bandana Dee, Waluigi, and Ashley are prime contenders for the next Smash.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You really think they went to the trouble to get permission to use the character as a spirit and will later decide to use her as a DLC character? If that was the case they'd have just taken out her spirit before release and no one would have been any wiser

So if we ever do get a Resident Evil rep, who would it be?
Jill, Chris, Wesker or Leon. If it's Sakurai's choice, then Leon, if it was Capcom's then Chris.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You really think they went to the trouble to get permission to use the character as a spirit and will later decide to use her as a DLC character? If that was the case they'd have just taken out her spirit before release and no one would have been any wiser

Jill, Chris, Wesker or Leon. If it's Sakurai's choice, then Leon, if it was Capcom's then Chris.
WayForward is a indie company and is much smaller company than Nintendo so they would probably allow Nintendo to put Shantae in the roster with very little cost if they had the option too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom