• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I’m really curious when Joker drops soon if he brings with him various spirits, especially non-Persona Atlus spirits in general. If this were to be the case, I would put a lot of confidence in the Blast Corps/Jet Force Gemini spirits in code foreshadowing Banjo. Things would line up incredibly well I think.

hinode

Smash Cadet
You could be right, but let's not get too excited about that silence because look where that got us Shantae fans. :(
Honestly, just being a Spirit is a huge deal for Shantae. We know that Shovel Knight has sold at least 2 million over all platforms, Hollow Knight is over 2.8 million, Stardew Valley is over 3.5 million, and Undertale is over 3.5 million just on Steam alone, to name some indie breakout hits with public numbers. We've never heard anything about Shantae's numbers, but the Steamspy leak (link here in a CSV file) from last year has her best selling game on that platform around 134K.

Getting any sort of acknowledgement at all is a huge deal for Shantae, and it's clearly the result of a successful Smash Ballot campaign. She is insanely niche even by indie standards, to a level that people rarely acknowledge, and she is BY FAR the biggest beneficiary of the Smash Bubble effect on speculation, blowing Geno out of the water on that front.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Aubrey's last response is what really caught my attention. "Oh, I know. Ive been watching for a while!" That was regarding the Banjo vs Steve situation.

Theres NO way she couldn't have known about the kind of response she'd get from the fanbase for speaking out against Steve like that. Nothing about it feels natural, and its hard for me to just see it as an accident.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Aubrey's last response is what really caught my attention. "Oh, I know. Ive been watching for a while!" That was regarding the Banjo vs Steve situation.

Theres NO way she couldn't have known about the kind of response she'd get from the fanbase for speaking out against Steve like that. Nothing about it feels natural, and its hard for me to just see it as an accident.
I always forget about that. Anyways, hear me out:

Banjo-Kazooie
Battletoads Mii Brawler costume
Master Chief Mii Swordfighter costume
Joanna Mii Gunner costume
Minecraft Stage Builder
Conker spirit and more

Maybe?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

yeah and her attitude really makes me feel she is just enjoying the show messing with ppl

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Conker and Joanna Dark as Gunner outfits
Fulgore and Rash as Brawler outfits
Mumbo and Steve as Swordfighter outfits

And then a bunch of spirits of misc. Rare and Minecraft characters

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
There is and was basically no feasible scenario where Shantae would be added as a playable character in Smash.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
How I currently feel about the DLC:

1. Joker
2. Banjo or Steve
3. Erdrik or Slime
4. A lower-placing Smash Ballot runner up, but a first party character (Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario specifically come to mind)
5. Pokemon Sword and Shield Promo representative

Three third party characters and two Nintendo IPs

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I’m really curious when Joker drops soon if he brings with him various spirits, especially non-Persona Atlus spirits in general. If this were to be the case, I would put a lot of confidence in the Blast Corps/Jet Force Gemini spirits in code foreshadowing Banjo. Things would line up incredibly well I think.
It would be amazing if they put in a Snowboard Kids spirit, even just Slash would be awesome to see. If they managed to put both Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters AND reference Snowboard Kids in some way, my freaking childhood on the N64 would be completely represented in Smash!

4. A lower-placing Smash Ballot runner up, but a first party character (Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo, Captain Toad, and Paper Mario specifically come to mind)
I know a lot of people would probably hate Paper Mario being in as that would be three different Marios in Smash, but I've been hoping for Paper Mario for a while as well, honestly. He'd be different enough and have enough gimmicks and new moves to constitute being a new character. If there can be three Links and practically four Marths (Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom), then there can be at least three Marios. He is Nintendo's flagship mascot and icon after all. Plus, as said before, having Banjo-Kazooie, Snowboard Kids, AND Paper Mario represented in Smash would be great representation for the Nintendo 64 era, especially since it's sorely lacking representation in Smash since at Melee, and it would make childhood me who played tons of Nintendo 64 VERY happy.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I know a lot of people would probably hate Paper Mario being in as that would be three different Marios in Smash, but I've been hoping for Paper Mario for a while as well, honestly. He'd be different enough and have enough gimmicks and new moves to constitute being a new character. If there can be three Links and practically four Marths (Marth, Roy, Lucina, and Chrom), then there can be at least three Marios. He is Nintendo's flagship mascot and icon after all. Plus, as said before, having Banjo-Kazooie, Snowboard Kids, AND Paper Mario represented in Smash would be great representation for the Nintendo 64 era, especially since it's sorely lacking representation in Smash since at Melee, and it would make childhood me who played tons of Nintendo 64 VERY happy.
Paper Mario is one of my picks too personally. Even though he'd be a 'third' Mario his moveset would be vastly different and make use of the hammer and possibly his jumps.

Though if you made me put money on which of the lower-placing Ballot picks would get in... I'd have to go with Chibi-Robo or Bandana. From a developer standpoint, both saves them a good amount of time in programming an Amiibo since they've already had one.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It would be amazing if they put in a Snowboard Kids spirit, even just Slash would be awesome to see. If they managed to put both Banjo & Kazooie as playable characters AND reference Snowboard Kids in some way, my freaking childhood on the N64 would be completely represented in Smash!

Really though Paper Mario shouldn't be in a similar situations as the multiple Links or Marths as Paper Mario shouldn't share any moves with Mario. Unless Sakurai just has no respect for the series.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Really though Paper Mario shouldn't be in a similar situations as the multiple Links as Paper Mario shouldn't share any moves with Mario. Unless Sakurai just has no respect for the series.
With how the last several Paper Mario games have been. I don't think Nintendo has any respect for the series.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
With how the last several Paper Mario games have been. I don't think Nintendo has any respect for the series.
I'll admit Intelligent Systems no longer knows what it is doing but at least Color Splash was an improvement over the compete garbage of Sticker Star. That's something I guess...

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There is and was basically no feasible scenario where Shantae would be added as a playable character in Smash.
You.... Mio and Yuuko 0 out of 10.jpg

You better hope she doesn't get revealed or god forbid revealed BEFORE Bear and Bird. I'm fully confident B&K are getting in due to almost making it in for Melee so now is opportune time, but straight up acting as if Shantae's fate is set in stone....for shame.

Last edited:

MangoTwist

Smash Apprentice
Paper Mario is one of my picks too personally. Even though he'd be a 'third' Mario his moveset would be vastly different and make use of the hammer and possibly his jumps.

Though if you made me put money on which of the lower-placing Ballot picks would get in... I'd have to go with Chibi-Robo or Bandana. From a developer standpoint, both saves them a good amount of time in programming an Amiibo since they've already had one.
This doesnt make sense. They still have to program the AI for the FP, and theyd still make a Smash series amiibo for them

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Outside of maybe a promotional Pokemon Sword/Shield rep, I'm pretty sure the Fighter Pass is going to consist primarily of third party franchises.

I guess there's also a chance of a promotional Fire Emblem Three Houses rep, but I think Sakurai should be well aware at this point of how sick people are of FE characters ;p;

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Honestly this kind of set-up/hype would be far more in favor of Master Chief if it weren't for the fact that 343i employees have repeatedly stated that he's not in. Halo in Smash would be a nuclear-level megaton anouncement within the wider gaming industry. Also Microsoft are clearly trying to restore the luster that's been lost from Halo since Bungie's departure, and the hype for a Smash announcement would do wonders there. We're at a point in Halo's franchise life where I actually think Microsoft execs would kill for the publicity from MC appearing in Smash even with no recipocity from Nintendo beyond licensing fees.

Banjo and Kazooie by contrast are characters whom Microsoft have done almost nothing with since acquiring Rare, so as a consequence their fanbase consists almost entirely of older Nintendo fans. The core Nintendo fanbase would likely go nuts (beyond just the Smash speculation scene), but I don't think the rest of the gaming community would care that much so long as Nintendo aren't licensing their own IP out in return, and I absolutely do not see Nintendo doing anything like that.

...if it makes you guys feel any better, I could actually see Nintendo execs favoring Banjo over MC specifically for this reason. Not generating any further buzz for Halo Infinite while still delivering a popular character within their own fanbase is something I could see them doing, even at the cost of less hype amongst the geeneral public. For all the public talk about friendship, I think it's purely a business relationship on Nintendo's end.
I agree with this for the most, especially on how Nintendo has benefits in putting Banjo in

D

Deleted member

Outside of maybe a promotional Pokemon Sword/Shield rep, I'm pretty sure the Fighter Pass is going to consist primarily of third party franchises.

I guess there's also a chance of a promotional Fire Emblem Three Houses rep, but I think Sakurai should be well aware at this point of how sick people are of FE characters ;p;
People said the same thing in 4 and Corrin got in anyway though.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
If, and this is a Kathy Bates huge IF, Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash we should all somehow put the K. Rool signatures Sakurai was sent to shame. We should try to get BOXES of pages of signatures thanking Sakurai for B&K.
You know what, let's give thanks to Phil Spencer and RARE as well: Phil for engaging the Nintendo fans with their own games and making the dream for RARE properties to come back to Nintendo possible and RARE for... you know. ;)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai was asked about it, and the guy has a hard time saying no to people, culturally-speaking.

I will say though that he'd go for whoever's close enough to a main character that offers something new. Teacher seems like he would stretch swordsman variety really thin at this point (hell, Chrom already had to be a mix of two of the veterans moveset wise), compared to Edelgard offering a chance to include more of the Weapon Triangle.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah but Sakurai himself even showed concern of there being too many FE reps.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

There are too many Fire Emblem characters! The decision to include Corrin was admittedly strategic, but I genuinely worried we might be adding too many characters from the series. That said, once the FE Fates developers shared their idea with me, I knew I could make Corrin into an interesting fighter.
People sorta excused Roy because he was just a returning veteran, but Corrin's reveal caused a lot of backlash. I really can't see Sakurai being that tone-deaf to include yet another unique FE character.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Yeah but Sakurai himself even showed concern of there being too many FE reps.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

People sorta excused Roy because he was just a returning veteran, but Corrin's reveal caused a lot of backlash. I really can't see Sakurai being that tone-deaf to include yet another unique FE character.
I know I got really mad when Corrin showed up. I actually missed the opening movie of his/her trailer in the Final Sm4sh presentation and thought he/she was a new Xenoblade character, and for a second I was okay with them. But then it was revealed they were yet ANOTHER Fire Emblem character made mainly to promote Fire Emblem: Fates. And that wasn’t including the fact that Robin and Lucina were revealed in a random trailer that people (including myself) were hyping up when it was gonna be a stand-alone trailer not attached to a Direct, which I thought meant well this must be a big time character to get a special reveal all on their own. But nope, Fire Emblem got its own trailer out of nowhere and I was severely disappointed. Roy, like you said, was fine because one, he’s a Melee vet, and two, I actually like him. Cool appearance, fire move set, I was happy to have him back. But along with Marth, Ike, Robin, Lucina, AND Corrin, that was too much Fire Emblem for one game. With Ultimate, though, I was fine with it since everyone was back and a lot of the newcomers were awesome selections, and even though Chrom was shoehorned in, since he and Lucina were still ‘echoes’ that you can even make as alternates to Marth and Roy, the Fire Emblem reps don’t bother me too much any more. And if Banjo & Kazooie become playable through the Fighter Pass? The rest of the DLC could be nothing but Fire Emblem reps and I’d be happy.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
On the topic of fire emblem, me and my friends joke about what newcomer would cause the most amount of salt in the fandom. I always say Camilla from fates. Smash fans already have a stigma against fire emblem. And fire emblem fans have a stigma against Camilla (for being a thot, easy waifu bait, and appearing on almost every fe heros banner)
So that's what? Double the amount of salt as usual?

I can't speak for the rest of the community, but if we get a character that wields anything but a sword, I'll be fine with it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
On the topic of fire emblem, me and my friends joke about what newcomer would cause the most amount of salt in the fandom. I always say Camilla from fates. Smash fans already have a stigma against fire emblem. And fire emblem fans have a stigma against Camilla (for being a thot, easy waifu bait, and appearing on almost every fe heros banner)

I can't speak for the rest of the community, but if we get a character that wields anything but a sword, I'll be fine with it.
Imagine if for FE, our next character is one who rides a pegasus! For the whole battle!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If, and this is a Kathy Bates huge IF, Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash we should all somehow put the K. Rool signatures Sakurai was sent to shame. We should try to get BOXES of pages of signatures thanking Sakurai for B&K.
That'd be really cool.

That'd be the equivalent of how fans reacted when that one lame Naruto villain was added to Jump Force. Not that that game was a high production in the first place, but still.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I think the only FE character that wouldn’t cause that much salt would be Lyn.

But I think the most would probably be Tharja. She fits those Camilla points, plus she comes from a game that already has three characters.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
You wanna state your reason on why that is? I ain't mad or anything but I still have hope for the half genie girl. Why should I not?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You wanna state your reason on why that is? I ain't mad or anything but I still have hope for the half genie girl. Why should I not?
H hinode said it best. She is, in the grand scheme of things, an extremely minor character/franchise.

If all Shovel Knight could get is an assist trophy, yeah...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A character that would face the same hurdles as her and would get included for the same reasons generally outclassed her in all relevant merits and only ended up as an AT.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
A character that would face the same hurdles as her and would get included for the same reasons generally outclassed her in all relevant merits and only ended up as an AT.
Yeah, it's also the reason that I doubt we'd get an Undertale rep, too. Shantae has longevity with Nintendo and Shovel Knight is arguably bigger as a franchise now than Undertale will ever be, mostly because Toby Fox doesn't want to go too far with it. The only other indie rep with huge longevity I could see happening would be Quote from Cave Story, and even he is extremely unlikely in my eyes. I wouldn't expect indie reps at all for Ultimate. For the next game, however, it seems more likely, especially with how much Nintendo is favoring indies as of late.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I honestly think the salt towards Chrom is small. Corrin, Lucina, and even Marth himself garnered more salt in my opinion.

hinode

Smash Cadet
Undertale almost certainly has sold over 10x as many copies as Shantae's best selling title and has infinitely more cultural relevance, especially in Japan. If it actually had a good candidate for a fighter I would seriously consider it as a long term possibility, but Frisk is really problematic from what I hear and meme man Sans is not a serious candidate for reasons that can't be discussed without a spoiler tag.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Undertale almost certainly has sold over 10x as many copies as Shantae's best selling title and has infinitely more cultural relevance, especially in Japan. If it actually had a good candidate for a fighter I would seriously consider it as a long term possibility, but Frisk is really problematic from what I hear and meme man Sans is not a serious candidate for reasons that can't be discussed without a spoiler tag.
The obvious choice would be Papyrus :shades:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I honestly think the salt towards Chrom is small. Corrin, Lucina, and even Marth himself garnered more salt in my opinion.
No one really cared about Chrom because he was just an echo fighter of Roy without the sweetspot at the hilt and with Ike's up B. He was a harmless addition to the game all things considered, considering he took up little dev time.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Shantae could get in, Sakurai does whatever he wants after all, though from what I remember the producer or whoever he was (Matt Bozon?) seemed to advocate Shantae for "4 out of 5 Smash DLCs!" on Twitter.

I don't know if he would know, however, but since Way Forward was silent about Shantae's Spirit in Smash, I'm guessing he was as well. Given the new Steve, Master Chief, and Cuphead stuff, however, it probably means nothing, and she may still have a chance (especially since, being honest, I think Matt's tweet was deleted, so you could say he was backtracking like Aubrey and Rad seemed to do; this was before Joker was revealed, however, so maybe it was actually because he realized he made an error based on Piranha Plant, but idk). If we get a second fighters' pass, she and the others definitely have a chance, anyway.

In all honesty, isn't EarthBound considered niche as well? I'm not against Shantae, but from what I know EarthBound is more well-known with better sales and it's still not really well-known at all, generally, when compared to other franchises, outside of everyone who's played Smash Bros. and only knows EarthBound from it. I guess this could lean more in Shantae's favor...but it really just depends on how you look at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom