• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
She doesn't like Steve. It means nothing beyond that. She has a right to that opinion. You'd think the company would be annoyed that she's dismissing one of the major characters, though. But I guess they don't care?
I mean, even Notch said (before he went full blown crazy) that Steve was just a husk to move the player around the world. The name Steve was literally thought of on the spot in an interview. So it might be more common around the office then we might think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, even Notch said (before he went full blown crazy) that Steve was just a husk to move the player around the world. The name Steve was literally thought of on the spot in an interview. So it might be more common around the office then we might think.
That's a possibility. Though he was used as merchandise before Microsoft took over, so I doubt that matters much to the fans alone. Notch isn't there anymore, even then.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
That's a possibility. Though he was used as merchandise before Microsoft took over, so I doubt that matters much to the fans alone. Notch isn't there anymore, even then.
Oh I know. I was just giving an example on how this might not be a lone case and how it might be a shared opinion around the office that could influence if they would let Steve in smash or not. I know it's not their choice in the end but I'm sure Microsoft and Nintendo would ask first.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
BanjoRoo's, things have been getting pretty crazy in the last week or so, eh?

The news cannot get here sooner, but I feel we are getting ever closer to judgement day. Will there actually be a Microsoft Rep? Or was it all in our heads.

I feel confident if there is, E3 is too perfect for an announcement. We are close, then we can rest (hopefully)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh I know. I was just giving an example on how this might not be a lone case and how it might be a shared opinion around the office that could influence if they would let Steve in smash or not. I know it's not their choice in the end but I'm sure Microsoft and Nintendo would ask first.
I have a feeling Microsoft would probably not care about that. They know he sells lot hotcakes and it just means easy costume options.

Anyway, it'd be cool if we got some other B&K media besides the toys/figures. A Comic? Manga? One of those silly cartoons that still work for fun? Rabbids had a pretty fun one, and despite DiC being eh, some of their shows were fine. Being it's a comedic series, it'd fit pretty well as a cartoon and all.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, it'd be cool if we got some other B&K media besides the toys/figures. A Comic? Manga? One of those silly cartoons that still work for fun? Rabbids had a pretty fun one, and despite DiC being eh, some of their shows were fine. Being it's a comedic series, it'd fit pretty well as a cartoon and all.
There was actually supposed to be a Banjo-Kazooie cartoon on 4Kids around the time Nuts & Bolts came out but it was canned for whatever reason.

Y’know, I don’t get why a Banjo announcement or if any MS character for that matter has to be specifically for E3. I doubt Sony not being at E3 would have made much of a difference anyway. For all we know, we could get the second fighter in the next direct which may be this month and If it’s not an MS character then we might have to wait til E3. Plus, there’s no guarantee that they’ll announce another fighter at E3; however, it’s still very likely that they will. Also I’m very impatient and I really don’t feel like waiting two extra months for the inevitable announcement of a second character.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Y’know, I don’t get why a Banjo announcement or if any MS character for that matter has to be specifically for E3. I doubt Sony not being at E3 would have made much of a difference anyway. For all we know, we could get the second fighter in the next direct which may be this month and If it’s not an MS character then we might have to wait til E3. Plus, there’s no guarantee that they’ll announce another fighter at E3; however, it’s still very likely that they will. Also I’m very impatient and I really don’t feel like waiting two extra months for the inevitable announcement of a second character.
It doesn't have to be at E3... but announcing that at E3 would be a guaranteed hype machine

Think about it: For the first time in years Sony is skipping out which leaves Nintendo and Microsoft to headline, and the former competitors are now partners! Super Smash Bros. is THE definitive crossover game bringing together icons from all over. Imagine the two former rivals appearing at E3 and cementing their friendship by bringing a character from the Microsoft fold over; especially if it was a long lost icon like Banjo-Kazooie

Honestly no matter which Microsoft character gets in, it would blow the roof off E3

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Thank god fans aren't in charge of smash. All these fan rules are so arbitrary and restrictive.
"No western characters"

"No old, irrelevant characters"

"No 3rd party echos"

"No characters that are already trophies or stickers"

"Only characters that made billions, and reinvented gaming as a whole will be considered"

"No fun"

I'd hate to see what the roster would look like if these were sakurai' s ground rules
Are you being sarcastic or something? These are things the fans complain about, if the roster was made by fans NONE of these rules would be in. Most of these rules are already in use by Sakurai.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Are you being sarcastic or something? These are things the fans complain about, if the roster was made by fans NONE of these rules would be in. Most of these rules are already in use by Sakurai.
So is there a reason you keep coming back into this thread just to keep telling people Banjo isn't happening.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Should be pretty obvious that these are examples of fan rules that the community has set up for themselves. Im simply poking fun at how needlessly restrictive they are.

Also your "most of these rules are already in use by sakurai" quote is wrong. Excluding the obvious hyperbolic "No fun" statement, 4 out of the 5 other ones I've listed have already been broken.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Fan rules are utter garbage.

Sincerely, a Ridley fan that had to endure 5+ years of being constantly told the character I wanted can't get in because they couldn't possibly envision him being smaller than usual.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

Sincerely, a Ridley fan that had to endure 5+ years of being constantly told the character I wanted can't get in because they couldn't possibly envision him being smaller than usual.
"B-but Ridley has to be terrifying and menacing in a game were it's literally possible to beat up the king of darkness with a secretary dog. Sakurai can take creative liberties with any character, except this one in particular for some reason."

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
"B-but Ridley has to be terrifying and menacing in a game were it's literally possible to beat up the king of darkness with a secretary dog. Sakurai can take creative liberties with any character, except this one in particular for some reason."
*Ridley is then revealed*

Same person: See! I told you Ridley was a perfect addition to Smash bros! Never doubted him for a second! #Ridleyteam!!

I am willing to put money down that all the haters will whirl around like this if Banjo is confirmed. Most of them do it with K.rool already, yet they get snippy and use the relevance arguement against Banjo.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Same person: See! I told you Ridley was a perfect addition to Smash bros! Never doubted him for a second! #Ridleyteam!!

I am willing to put money down that all the haters will whirl around like this if Banjo is confirmed. Most of them do it with K.rool already, yet they get snippy and use the relevance arguement against Banjo.
Ah, but see, K. Rool is from a series that is still running!

Never mind that we kept saying that said series didn't need him anymore, and that he was best left forgotten!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
On a slightly different topic, I found this video in my recommendeds today and I never knew it existed until now:

The 90s sure were interesting...

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So is there a reason you keep coming back into this thread just to keep telling people Banjo isn't happening.
Trolls gotta troll. I'm all up for constructive criticism. But for etiquette, there's a reason I don't pop up in the Steve thread. :lol: (and for extra precautions, given I don't want to unintentionally agitate people, I limit my criticisms, even here).

As for her tweets--perhaps the company doesn't care about them because from her point of view, she's not dismissing Steve--just describing Steve how she sees him. From her perspective, talking about Steve as a character is a category error. However, I know nothing about Minecraft, so I'm not agreeing with her--just explaining what I think she's saying. She has the right to her own opinion, as do we all.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
On a slightly different topic, I found this video in my recommendeds today and I never knew it existed until now:

The 90s sure were interesting...
Just goes to show how much Nintendo really pushed Banjo-Kazooie back in the day.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion

It's amazing that even after Ridley and K Rool people STILL find the need to make up rules to attempt to deny a character's chances, lmao.
I bet that even if we got 4 dlc characters that have been believed impossible up until now, people will continue to make up rules if/when a season pass 2 gets confirmed, lol.

It's 100% gonna happen.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Fan Rules is basically people denying possible scenarios because they've never happened ignoring the fact that there could be a first time for such a scenario even without an official quote by Sakurai to back it up enough

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Just goes to show how much Nintendo really pushed Banjo-Kazooie back in the day.
Im surprised I never heard of this canceled Banjo-kazooie cartoon! Then again I am happy it was canceled, because if One Piece on 4kids is anything to go on, it would've been cringe central. Still digging the final design for the bear though.

CE-9Bg7WIAAWwqs1-411x525.jpg

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly after seeing how the cartoons based on other fellow Rare properties turned out (Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, Viva Pinata), I'm glad Banjo was spared from having a crappy animated franchise based on it.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
It seems way too circumstantial for Brave to just so happen to lineup perfectly with the most discussed character prior to the datamine, and even then Erdrick came from leakers that now have no credibility whatsoever.

Idk, just starting to have my doubts on Erdrick

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Im surprised I never heard of this canceled Banjo-kazooie cartoon! Then again I am happy it was canceled, because if One Piece on 4kids is anything to go on, it would've been cringe central. Still digging the final design for the bear though.

View attachment 205764
I'm digging it too. It's angular, but it's not terrible like the N&B design. I would've watched the show had it come to fruition.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Fan Rules is basically people denying possible scenarios because they've never happened ignoring the fact that there could be a first time for such a scenario even without an official quote by Sakurai to back it up enough
And I agree, there is a first time for everything. But after 5 games ALL the west gets for representation is a single assist trophy, which o so conicendentally is a character for a game pubished by Nintendo(for Japan,) you have to admit that their level of caring for us is next to non-existent for this game. So it's impossible to believe that it may happen, because the actions of Nintendo/Sakurai shows. Why didn't we get a playable character on the base roster? Why just a SINGLE assist trophy?

And fan rules are there because of what fans see Sakurai/Nintendo are doing with Smash, not because there denying that a western rep could happen.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
The fact that K Rool, Diddy Kong, and Dark Samus in the game shows us there is no nationalist bias against non-Japanese created characters.

As for negotiation methods with a non-Japanese company. Considering Sakurai himself tweeted the DLC characters were in large chosen by Nintendo and Nintendo has been working with Western companies heavily as of late, from a pure logically point of view, a Western character should be of no problem.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Why didn't we get a playable character on the base roster? Why just a SINGLE assist trophy
Well to be fair, this game had only like, six actual newcomers. Two of those spots went to the biggest fan requested characters left (K. Ridley), two of them went to the biggest modern Nintendo characters (Isabelle and Inkling), one of them went to a historic third party rep (Simon), and the last went to an obligatory Pokemon rep (Incineroar).

Not much room for anything else.

hinode

Smash Cadet
It doesn't have to be at E3... but announcing that at E3 would be a guaranteed hype machine

Think about it: For the first time in years Sony is skipping out which leaves Nintendo and Microsoft to headline, and the former competitors are now partners! Super Smash Bros. is THE definitive crossover game bringing together icons from all over. Imagine the two former rivals appearing at E3 and cementing their friendship by bringing a character from the Microsoft fold over; especially if it was a long lost icon like Banjo-Kazooie

Honestly no matter which Microsoft character gets in, it would blow the roof off E3
Honestly this kind of set-up/hype would be far more in favor of Master Chief if it weren't for the fact that 343i employees have repeatedly stated that he's not in. Halo in Smash would be a nuclear-level megaton anouncement within the wider gaming industry. Also Microsoft are clearly trying to restore the luster that's been lost from Halo since Bungie's departure, and the hype for a Smash announcement would do wonders there. We're at a point in Halo's franchise life where I actually think Microsoft execs would kill for the publicity from MC appearing in Smash even with no recipocity from Nintendo beyond licensing fees.

Banjo and Kazooie by contrast are characters whom Microsoft have done almost nothing with since acquiring Rare, so as a consequence their fanbase consists almost entirely of older Nintendo fans. The core Nintendo fanbase would likely go nuts (beyond just the Smash speculation scene), but I don't think the rest of the gaming community would care that much so long as Nintendo aren't licensing their own IP out in return, and I absolutely do not see Nintendo doing anything like that.

...if it makes you guys feel any better, I could actually see Nintendo execs favoring Banjo over MC specifically for this reason. Not generating any further buzz for Halo Infinite while still delivering a popular character within their own fanbase is something I could see them doing, even at the cost of less hype amongst the geeneral public. For all the public talk about friendship, I think it's purely a business relationship on Nintendo's end.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
More like "even a generic enemy is less generic and more recognized than Steve."

Which is blatantly true about the Creepers, at least.
Yeah, Steve is pretty generic. Good thing we've no extremely recent history of generic additions. Otherwise it might seem like they could still get in, irrespective of being generic.

It seems way too circumstantial for Brave to just so happen to lineup perfectly with the most discussed character prior to the datamine, and even then Erdrick came from leakers that now have no credibility whatsoever.

Wait, we're losing faith because a situation makes too much sense? Would you feel more reassured if leakers named characters that had no relation to the data at all? Because generally when the situation lines up perfectly, that's not a mark against it.

Btw, Tansut has also claimed we'd get Erdrick, and he's had valid info concerning Square before. He knew about Cloud.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

I don't think it's fair to say Vergeben has no credibility. We know he has legit information, it's just mixed in with incorrect information.

And as long as Tansut who leaked Cloud is saying we're getting a DQ character, we probably are. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's next, or that he's Brave.

Yeah, Steve is pretty generic. Good thing we've no extremely recent history of generic additions. Otherwise it might seem like they could still get in, irrespective of being generic.
In fairness we have not had a generic 3rd Party skin as a character yet. If anything the lack of a Monster Hunter rep goes against that idea. But it could still happen.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
For me, the biggest point towards Banjo is King K. Rool's bombastic return. He has one of the most faithful movesets in Smash and received 3 music tracks. The Donkey Kong franchise was treated incredibly well in general. King K. Rool arguably made the biggest splash out of everyone, something I'm sure didn't go unnoticed by Nintendo or Sakurai.
The reason this is important, is because Sakurai had to familiarize himself with Rare's DK games to make K. Rool's return as powerful as it was. Chances are that Sakurai looked at other Rare properties while he was at it. We can't know for sure, but it's not a farfetched assumption. Sakurai is now more familiar with golden age Rare than he was when he made Smash 4.

So yeah, King K. Rool's inclusion is the biggest beacon of hope for me. Forcing the Brave codename and stats upon Banjo is a waste of energy. You could also force those stats upon Cuphead if you tried. I only want to consider things that are actually tangible, like K. Rool, the cut Rare spirits, Sakurai's comments regarding the ballot, and the current collaboration between Nintendo and Microsoft.

D

Deleted member

You know I think it would be best if Minecraft was represented in stage builder because it’s main aspect is all about building. It makes more sense than a fighter tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I still can't get past the duck hunt thing. Who the hell else could possibly be using duck hunt as a base besides Banjo and Kazooie? That goes a long way to convince me.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I still can't get past the duck hunt thing. Who the hell else could possibly be using duck hunt as a base besides Banjo and Kazooie? That goes a long way to convince me.
I’ve seen suggestions of Duck Hunt being a base for Joker because Persona summons and Gunman summoning.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I’ve seen suggestions of Duck Hunt being a base for Joker because Persona summons and Gunman summoning.
That seems silly. I'd be shocked if Joker's Personas worked like that. And why would they use a character with such a drastically different model just for one move. Talk about a stretch.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Tbh I’ve been pretty gung-ho about Banjo ever since the Blast Corps/JFG spirit thing. Everything else after has just been even more proof.
My only concern about this is that they were in the game files before the game even launched. I think the game already leaked out before they made the official finalization announcement for DLC. It just seems strange how they would add placeholders for those games so soon when not even Joker had much development yet. And that's on top of people saying that Nintendo still kinda owns those game names in Japan

Top Bottom