• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
My only concern about this is that they were in the game files before the game even launched. I think the game already leaked out before they made the official finalization announcement for DLC. It just seems strange how they would add placeholders for those games so soon when not even Joker had much development yet. And that's on top of people saying that Nintendo still kinda owns those game names in Japan
Nintendo don't own those games period and they're still featured in the Japanese release of Rare Replay.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Nintendo don't own those games period and they're still featured in the Japanese release of Rare Replay.
I swear it had something to do with the games titles. Like Nintendo owning the translations or something like that. I forgot exactly what people said though.

It might have been the Nintendo owned the Japanese names? But even then that can't be right because in the game files the games are in English.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I swear it had something to do with the games titles. Like Nintendo owning the translations or something like that. I forgot exactly what people said though.

It might have been the Nintendo owned the Japanese names? But even then that can't be right because in the game files the games are in English.
They can argue copyright semantics all they want, the fact here is that they are in the game files when they could've easily been scrubbed from the cartridge. I'm not buying that the Spirit creation team did not take 10 seconds to search if these titles were fully owned by Nintendo. I'll concede Jet Force Gemini, but Blast Corps is 100% rare.

Also, Tinfoil hat time. In rare replay, Banjo Kazooie sits between Blast Corps and JFG on the selection screen. Seems bizarre that these two Rare IP's are next to each other in Smash's files with B-K not sitting between them.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If they were about to use Crash, I would think they're more likely to use like Young Link as a base. More similar proportions and he has the whole helicopter b move thing.

The only reason Duck Hunt Duo make sense for Banjo is because of the Duck being a good starting point for Kazooie. But even then the quadrupedal aspect of the character is a red flag. They could just as easily use Mario for Banjo.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Honestly after seeing how the cartoons based on other fellow Rare properties turned out (Donkey Kong Country, Battletoads, Viva Pinata), I'm glad Banjo was spared from having a crappy animated franchise based on it.
Viva Pinata was a good show. Certainly better than the DKC show at the very least.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
The only reason Duck Hunt Duo make sense for Banjo is because of the Duck being a good starting point for Kazooie. But even then the quadrupedal aspect of the character is a red flag. They could just as easily use Mario for Banjo.
It makes sense because they have the same dynamic of a mammal with a bird partner. Theoretically, couldn’t they just have Duck Hunt Dog stand on two legs the whole time when applying it to Banjo. It’s not like Duck Hunt looks weird or unnatural when standing on his legs as we’ve seen before.

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
They can argue copyright semantics all they want, the fact here is that they are in the game files when they could've easily been scrubbed from the cartridge. I'm not buying that the Spirit creation team did not take 10 seconds to search if these titles were fully owned by Nintendo. I'll concede Jet Force Gemini, but Blast Corps is 100% rare.

Also, Tinfoil hat time. In rare replay, Banjo Kazooie sits between Blast Corps and JFG on the selection screen. Seems bizarre that these two Rare IP's are next to each other in Smash's files with B-K not sitting between them.
JFG and Blast Corps are not next to each other at all in the files which has no good justification when you consider that spirits of similar series are always put together. Add in Devil's Third also being unused, it's more likely that it's just a mistake. https://pastebin.com/aZxKwGHJ

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i would agree, i'd imagine maybe Banjo & Kazooie would summon the jinjos and they zoom towards an opponent who's in Banjo & Kazooie's sight, The background could change into a dark green and red storm based off Grunty's Battle from the first game were the jinjos would dash left and right through the fighters they caught shouting "Jinjo! Jinjo! Jinjo!" then from the clouds comes the Jinjonator saying "Jinja!" then dashes in front of the screen knocking out the fighter(s).
I can already imagine seeing 7 fighters on top of Gruntilda's Lair be all next to each other getting knock out by the Jinjos. :joyful:
It's a possibility I wouldn't be upset with.

JFG and Blast Corps are not next to each other at all in the files which has no good justification when you consider that spirits of similar series are always put together. Add in Devil's Third also being unused, it's more likely that it's just a mistake. https://pastebin.com/aZxKwGHJ
Are you talking about their files in Smash or Rare Replay? Because on the menu in Rare Replay they are next to each other.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Some food for thought:

We KNOW Cuphead and Master Chief are out of the running (Unless a second Fighter's Pass happens) The devs of the two series have been very open about how they WANT to be in. They WANT to be in a roster that's already finalized, plus we've had Frank O' Conner already deconfirm Chief himself.

Which brings us to Steve. Steve's had a rough week of things happening that are hurting his chances; We seemingly had the final nail in the coffin until Aubrey and Raddestbro suddenly backtracked

1554742487725.png

The question everyone is asking is "Why won't they just deconfirm Steve officially already?" Since all of the other devs were quick to shoot down their own characters. Why continue to dangle something that is looking less and less likely? If Steve isn't in, why keep acting like he might be in?

Because of process of elimination: If the head developer of Minecraft suddenly came out today and announced Steve is NOT coming to Smash Bros, then that HAS to mean Banjo is the one coming, he's the only one left! They'd basically be giving away two secrets at once.

And inversely, if Rare and Microsoft announced Banjo is NOT happening, then that can only mean Steve is left and suddenly everyone knows it!

With Banjo and Steve still in limbo, they still hold the cards and their reveal. Neither side can deconfirm their character without ruining everything internally. It's an interesting case of Mutually Assured Destruction. What happened last week was an abnormal slip-up, and I think everyone involved is going to be way more careful now until the time comes.

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 1.03.15 PM copy.png

And can I just say I feel awful people are bothering Aubrey, like I feel partially responsible for it. So, if anyone was thinking of asking her any further just leave her alone

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Some food for thought:

We KNOW Cuphead and Master Chief are out of the running (Unless a second Fighter's Pass happens) The devs of the two series have been very open about how they WANT to be in. They WANT to be in a roster that's already finalized, plus we've had Frank O' Conner already deconfirm Chief himself.

Which brings us to Steve. Steve's had a rough week of things happening that are hurting his chances; We seemingly had the final nail in the coffin until Aubrey and Raddestbro suddenly backtracked

View attachment 205863

The question everyone is asking is "Why won't they just deconfirm Steve officially already?" Since all of the other devs were quick to shoot down their own characters. Why continue to dangle something that is looking less and less likely? If Steve isn't in, why keep acting like he might be in?

Because of process of elimination: If the head developer of Minecraft suddenly came out today and announced Steve is NOT coming to Smash Bros, then that HAS to mean Banjo is the one coming, he's the only one left! They'd basically be giving away two secrets at once.

And inversely, if Rare and Microsoft announced Banjo is NOT happening, then that can only mean Steve is left and suddenly everyone knows it!

With Banjo and Steve still in limbo, they still hold the cards and their reveal. Neither side can deconfirm their character without ruining everything internally. It's an interesting case of Mutually Assured Destruction. What happened last week was an abnormal slip-up, and I think everyone involved is going to be way more careful now until the time comes.

View attachment 205866

And can I just say I feel awful people are bothering Aubrey, like I feel partially responsible for it. So, if anyone was thinking of asking her any further just leave her alone
I agree with this 100% it's possible they know MS DOES have a character coming to Smash but may not know who it is but know it's not Steve... if they deny Steve then process of elimination fans will figure it out.. plus it seems that both of those folks are familiar with the situation and the Smash community looking for clues. That may have sunk in during all this and theyre starting to clam up.

If Steve was in you wouldnt see anyone of Aubreys level talking so freely about him in any capacity. Anyone still associated with Banjo haven't spoken a word since DLC was announced.... silence speaks volumes.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
If, and this is a Kathy Bates huge IF, Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash we should all somehow put the K. Rool signatures Sakurai was sent to shame. We should try to get BOXES of pages of signatures thanking Sakurai for B&K.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Unlikely considering Rare are specifically credited in the data. Whoever added them knew that Rare owned those games. If it was Diddy Kong Racing characters I could see how they could mistake that, considering that game is a bit of a legal grey area. But JFG and Blast Corps? Nope, I don't buy anyone at Nintendo thinking that they owned the rights to those games and added spirits to Ultimate based on that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This reminds me of the Minecon question and how the person speaking acted like she didn't really know, or like she was trying to dodge the question, but still give an answer. She was a community manager, but I don't know if she was Aubrey or someone else; I know another community manager visits the Minecraft Suggestions subreddit every now and then, probably often.

It also felt sorta awkward, and the guy who was asking the question said he was asking the devs themselves, not whoever answered him. After she was done, he finally heard a Switch Edition dev say he would like to see Steve or a Creeper in Smash.

I find it awkward that Aubrey seems to be unable to say anything about Steve being in Smash or not, but she still spoke about her opinion on Steve and how she'd like a Skeleton in Smash; I don't know how an NDA would work, though, I'm wondering if they just can't say that their character is in Smash/they're working with Nintendo on Smash, and companies and their members just usually stay silent to avoid being suspicious (even if they're still suspicious, better to stay silent then to be asked directly over something that's been said).

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
If, and this is a Kathy Bates huge IF, Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash we should all somehow put the K. Rool signatures Sakurai was sent to shame. We should try to get BOXES of pages of signatures thanking Sakurai for B&K.
Completely agree. If Sakurai and his team are somehow able to do the unthinkable and seemingly impossible by not only get Nintendo and Microsoft to work together to bring a character of there's to Smash Bros., but for it to be a character the fans, especially myself, have been hoping and anticipating for decades now after years of wallowing in obscurity without any new games or appearances, it would be, to me at least, as big an achievement as bringing Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu & Ken, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, Simon/Richter Belmont, and Joker COMBINED, along with finally bringing the likes of Ridley and King K. Rool into playable appearances after years of wishing and hoping. I'd be completely down with doing a picture or adding a signature to thank the team for doing the unthinkable and the seemingly impossible. No question.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Anyone still associated with Banjo haven't spoken a word since DLC was announced.... silence speaks volumes.
You could be right, but let's not get too excited about that silence because look where that got us Shantae fans. :(

Unlikely considering Rare are specifically credited in the data. Whoever added them knew that Rare owned those games. If it was Diddy Kong Racing characters I could see how they could mistake that, considering that game is a bit of a legal grey area. But JFG and Blast Corps? Nope, I don't buy anyone at Nintendo thinking that they owned the rights to those games and added spirits to Ultimate based on that.
It's possible Banjo & Kazooie were planned for the base game and got moved to the Season Pass and the spirits that were suppose to come along with them wasn't completely wiped out from the games files.

Completely agree. If Sakurai and his team are somehow able to do the unthinkable and seemingly impossible by not only get Nintendo and Microsoft to work together to bring a character of there's to Smash Bros., but for it to be a character the fans, especially myself, have been hoping and anticipating for decades now after years of wallowing in obscurity without any new games or appearances, it would be, to me at least, as big an achievement as bringing Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu & Ken, Cloud Strife, Bayonetta, Simon/Richter Belmont, and Joker COMBINED, along with finally bringing the likes of Ridley and King K. Rool into playable appearances after years of wishing and hoping. I'd be completely down with doing a picture or adding a signature to thank the team for doing the unthinkable and the seemingly impossible. No question.
Banjo & Kazooie's return will almost completely overshadow K. Rool's return. It will be HUGE if they get into Smash.

Last edited:

G83mBoy

Smash Cadet
Can you post the link for Rare being specifically credited? As far as I was aware, it was just Blast Dozer and Star Twins being named.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Rare has credits in the code, but the strings for Blast Dozer and Star Twins didn't show Rare's name at all, even in the box that showed their English names. Is Rare credited for the DKC music?

It's still funny that they confused the rights, though, if it's a mistake.

Last edited:

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
If they were about to use Crash, I would think they're more likely to use like Young Link as a base. More similar proportions and he has the whole helicopter b move thing.

To be fair, he does have K. Rool running on all fours. I doubt it, but Sakurai could end up implementing more "animal-like" movements and animations for Banjo in a similar fashion. Though, I'd prefer he not do that.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Can you post the link for Rare being specifically credited? As far as I was aware, it was just Blast Dozer and Star Twins being named.
My bad, I may be getting mixed up between the spirits and Rare being credited for the DKC tracks in the game. I can't find the image anywhere (only this one: https://twitter.com/AltDeltas/status/1066276640324501504) but I seem to remember reading them as being credited to Rare Ltd. Maybe ignore that for now as I can't seem to verify it.

Although it should be noted that the spirits are arranged alphabetically so the fact they're nowhere near eachother doesn't matter.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Wow, you actually posted something that I agree with. That's impressive.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, we better swamp Sakurai with love for bringing the Bear and Bird back

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Is Rare credited for the DKC music?
Yeah, they are credited for the Music, you can check by going into the Sound/Music player

Yeah, I think we all agreed on this like 80 pages back lol, get everyone's Signature here and then have someone mail it or something, we'll all write him a heart felt letter.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
It's possible Banjo & Kazooie were planned for the base game and got moved to the Season Pass and the spirits that were suppose to come along with them wasn't completely wiped out from the games files.
I've been saying this since the Rare spirits were found in the code... and I think there's decent evidence to back this up mostly in Pirahna Plant.

I think that Banjo may have been planned for the base game but his rights were grabbed too late. In an attempt to get him into the base roster they moved Pirahna Plant to DLC and started working on Banjo. Banjo however couldn't be done in time so they moved Banjo to the pass and since PP was mostly completed anyway made him that "bonus" DLC character for the pass...

There's decent evidence for PP being moved to DLC for some reason..

He has a Palutenas guidance which is something we haven't seen with DLC characters and Sakurai said in an interview not to expect the DLC newcomers to have them.

There was one cut character slot in the data mine for Ultimate and according to the miners it was not a 3rd party character as there's something in the code noting who's 1st and 3rd party.

PP had an Amiibo that just came out recently alongside K. Rool and Ice Climbers... seems awfully strange his Amiibo would come out so fast, Sakurai claims it takes a year to design and finalize Amiibo so that means PP was planned way ahead of time yet he was a DLC character? Especially when the DLC wasn't supposedly finalized until the last few month's of 2018...

Of all the characters I can see Sakurai moving to attempt getting a character in it would be PP as he was a shock pick we didn't expect so we'd be none the wiser until his release but Banjo may have been far too complicated to rush to get done so they just gave us what we got and made up for it. This could be a reason there's Rare spirits in the base game he was going to be there as that last character reveal but the work was too much

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
t's possible Banjo & Kazooie were planned for the base game and got moved to the Season Pass and the spirits that were suppose to come along with them wasn't completely wiped out from the games files.
See, I have a different theory:

I think the Rare Spirits are indicative of Rare Replay coming to the Switch, and the spirits are meant to be promotional for it, like how if you have save data for Let's Go it gives you spirits for LG: Pikachu and Eevee

I don't think it automatically means Banjo is in, I think they just might have jumped the gun a bit and left them in

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Agreed, we better swamp Sakurai with love for bringing the Bear and Bird back
We also gotta give a big shoutout to Phil Spencer since he was the one who really layed the foundation for this entire campaign and helped made it possible.

That's the great thing about Phil, He's a fan of all video games and didn't have to go through the trouble of pushing their own IP for a exclusive game on another console, Probably any other executive wouldn't care or shrug off the idea of the possibility and focus all their resources on their own platform that is Xbox, But if he can help pull off the "Impossible" along with a Rare Replay port and Rareware games on the N64 Classic then I hope he gets his due as well.

Last edited:

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
I have a confession, i have never played Banjo Kazooie.
However, i am 100% down with them getting into Smash. Considering their history with Nintendo, and their legacy. Banjo and Kazooie feel like characters that should of been in Smash in the past.
And with how Nintendo and Microsoft have been very chummy lately, Masterchief and Cuphead being Deconfirmed. Steve potentially being deconfirmed. I have a good feeling the bear and bird will make it.
The only way you could get me to hate it is if they gave them realistic bear and bird noises.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
We also gotta give a big shoutout to Phil Spencer since he was the one who really layed the foundation for this entire campaign and helped made it possible.

That's the great thing about Phil, He's a fan of all video games and didn't have to go through the trouble of pushing their own IP for a exclusive game on another console, Probably any other executive wouldn't care or shrug off the idea of the possibility and focus all their resources on their own platform that is Xbox, But if he can help pull off the "Impossible" along with a Rare Replay port and Rareware games on the N64 Classic then I hope he gets his due as well.
Agree, I've been a huge fan of Phil Spencer and if the duo make it in I'm gonna give him so much love for this whole thing

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Something to note about those tweets regarding Steve:

As R RetrogamerMax up there pointed out, Wayforward was completely silent about Shantae...that was, until she was revealed to be in Ultimate, but as a mere spirit. This kind of shows that even if they're not playable, there's still some quite strict NDA about characters/series appearing in Smash.

So, I think it's possible that those recent tweets of Aubrey may be implying that there's some Minecraft content coming to the game, but not necessarily that Steve himself is playable. I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that if, hypothetically speaking, Sakurai were to negiotate with Microsoft to make Banjo & Kazooie playable, he'd also try to squeeze in some Minecraft representation out of it, with Mii Fighter outfits and spirits.

It's not entirely unprecedented, Geno's Mii Fighter outfit was released alongside Cloud, and Smash 4's DLC also featured costumes based on misc. series from companies already present in the game like Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

Worst case scenario: it's the other way around with Steve being playable but Banjo relegated to a Mii Fighter outfit, lol

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
It still seems kinda strange how we completely accept their backpedaling as them telling the truth when not even 24 hours before they stated outright that something was/wasn't happening.

Whos to say they didn't say this stuff. Higher ups had a little talk with them, and they had to do something to cover their tracks. Why else would they backtrack so hard when they seem so confident in their previous answers.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Their backpedaling is sorta strange, really you'd think they would've simply said "Steve isn't in Smash, sorry!" and leave it there, but even if he's not in it felt like they were either trying to hide something else about Smash, or they simply didn't actually know and were just saying what they thought; afterwards, they realized they dun goofed by attracting a horde of Smash fans.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It still seems kinda strange how we completely accept their backpedaling as them telling the truth when not even 24 hours before they stated outright that something was/wasn't happening.

Whos to say they didn't say this stuff. Higher ups had a little talk with them, and they had to do something to cover their tracks. Why else would they backtrack so hard when they seem so confident in their previous answers.
Because I feel like it's far more likely they are speculating like the rest of us. I highly doubt most of the people working on Minecraft would be privy to sensitive information. The only people who would need to know are the rights holders. Rumors could still trickle down, but if they say they haven't heard anything, I see no reason to doubt them. While I do think it's noteworthy those who work on the game are doubtful of Steve, it gives us no indication either way of Steve's chances.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

Same can be said of the dude Polarpanda leaked out. He sounded quite confident in saying Steve is a %100 no. Then it got out and he was probably talked to and forced to backtrack or face punishment. This can also apply to the lootcrate situation where they probably didn't know but were contacted by those who do and told to remove the stuff.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
They may have implied Steve won't be fighter but that doesn't really mean he won't appear in as an assist trophy or mii costume. Mii swordfighter could be good to Steve given how iconic and well known the diamond sword is. Plus, you can have Alex as the female version of the costume.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Same can be said of the dude Polarpanda leaked out. He sounded quite confident in saying Steve is a %100 no. Then it got out and he was probably talked to and forced to backtrack or face punishment. This can also apply to the lootcrate situation where they probably didn't know but were contacted by those who do and told to remove the stuff.
I feel like the Lootcrate situation is different because. That is company to company. That sort of deal is negotiated far in advance since they will need to mass produce an item to ship out. Banjo being pulled out of the lootcrate sounds to me of being a "things aren't going according to plan push everything back" situation.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm starting to wonder if something like these situations actually happened behind the scenes, and Microsoft has both B-K and some Minecraft stuff coming to Smash.

Top Bottom