• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
You know, I have no idea why I'm not on the supporter list yet for Banjo and Kazooie: I've been wanting the two in for a good while now and would be ecstatic to see them get in. Kinda makes me wish I had a Nintendo 64 and found this game at some point...

Either way, add me to the list!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You know, I have no idea why I'm not on the supporter list yet for Banjo and Kazooie: I've been wanting the two in for a good while now and would be ecstatic to see them get in. Kinda makes me wish I had a Nintendo 64 and found this game at some point...

One of us! One of us! One of us!

SeanHicksArt

Smash Rookie
Here is just a quick photoshopping job. The switch takes the same resolution screenshots. I took all the images on zoom so they all have the same camera angle. I made sure to keep Duck Hunt in the same frame of animation for both screenshots. And the background makes it all easy to line up. Making this probably as accurate you can get. Does this seem like a good size for Banjo to be in Smash?
So I find this very interesting!
It makes me think back to a (canceled) Super Smash Bros Wii U Modding Project that I was working on in 2017. Due to limitations, and to have a quick basis on putting Banjo-Kazooie in engine before making a custom rig, we put the Banjo & Kazooie model I was working on over DuckHunt. This allowed us to do quick tests on things in engine before making actual animations and the final rig. Honestly, this idea reminds me a bit of the ZZS model being used for early Bayonetta. We mostly used this method to figure out how the duo would switch out via visibility params, hitbox options, and other technicalities.
Below are screenshots of this technique being used on a work in progress model when the project was starting

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of us! One of us! One of us!
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL.

LISTEN HERE WHILE I MAKE IT CLEAR.
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT WE SEE HERE.
A BANJO BEAR IS THE SUPERIOR SPECIES.
A BLOCKHEAD DUDE JUST SMELLS LIKE FECES.
LOOKING AT YOUR CLAWS.
YOU COULD BE ONE OF MY IN-LAWS.

'CAUSE YOU'RE ONE OF US, ONE OF US.
YOU GROWN AND BROWN FIGHT MACHINE,
CAN'T YOU SEE YOU'RE ONE OF US.
YOU WALK AND TALK, BIRD IN YOUR PACK.
ALL IN ALL TOGETHER WE'RE OFF!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Canon size isn't really an issue in Smash Brothers. Ridley was proof of that if people tend to forget Olimar and Alph are supposed to be a few centimeters tall. That said these height comparisons to other fighters is a little telling since Sakurai has an eye for those details. Considering that "Brave" has a "bio" hit sound, we could possibly rule Edrick out because he's usually in Plate mail.

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
Does weight even matter in Smash? According to the PokeDex, Charizard's 199.5 lbs and Mewtwo's 269 lbs, yet Mewtwo is supposed to be pretty light and Charizard's heavier than Mewtwo.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Well Banjo is a honey bear, which are also called Sun Bears. They're the smallest bear species so I assume Banjo in cannon is not too big. I'd say an upright Duck Hunt Dog is actually a really good size for him. Standing upright he'd be about Mario size which is what I always pictured him at anyway.

I’m really eager for Joker to come out so we can finally have an idea of what to expect with the DLC. Will more spirits come with the DLC? Then we can determine whether the Rare spirits actually mean anything or not

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Speaking of Joker, while I’m definitely not a fan of his and Persona’s inclusion, I am interested in seeing what he’ll bring to the table in terms of his moveset, stage/music/universe, and yes, see if he brings any spirits with him. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t add some Shin Megami Tensei/Persona/Atlus spirits along with him. If they did, that’d be a pretty big boon towards our backpacking bear and bird’s inclusion. Also, I’d kill for a Snowboard Kids spirit if Atlus indeed gets some Spirit representation! One of my other favorite N64 games of all time was Snowboard Kids 2! So if they got a spirit and hopefully Banjo got in, this game would have everyone I’ve ever cared about from Nintendo and video games in it!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m really eager for Joker to come out so we can finally have an idea of what to expect with the DLC. Will more spirits come with the DLC? Then we can determine whether the Rare spirits actually mean anything or not
Yeah, PP came with no spirits, stage, music or strings attached at all (except a glitch, come on man, this isn't Koopa Troop cyber warfare here) since he was intended as a standalone bonus character, so it stands to reason that character packs will have more to them.

Technomage

Smash Champion

Yeah, I'm not on the list either.

Yeah, PP came with no spirits, stage, music or strings attached at all (except a glitch, come on man, this isn't Koopa Troop cyber warfare here) since he was intended as a standalone bonus character, so it stands to reason that character packs will have more to them.
Yeah it feels like it’d only make sense to include some new spirits along with everything else. They definitely seem to put a lot of emphasis on Spirits, with the weekly events and whatnot. But it’ll be nice to finally get some kind of confirmation so we can stop wondering what these mysterious Rare spirits are all about

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Aside from Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, Grunty, and Jinjos, there’s not many characters that have renders. Plus, I highly doubt they would use any art from Nuts and Bolts; however, I think representing Rare as a whole with the spirits is a good idea along with the Banjo ones.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Didn't Sakurai mention something on the level of Joker being revealed SUPER early?... so what if he isn't the next actual DLC character and the next character is whoever Brave is. Maybe showing them only a few weeks before release...

Maybe Brave was intended to be shown but it was changed for whatever reason. If Brave is Banjo maybe just maybe his reveal is hinging on some MS announcement that they don't want to show yet.. but will be shown before "theoretical Banjo release/reveal" it just may not have been ready to reveal during the Game Awards...

Probably not.. but I like speculation. Plus the Rare spirits being on the cartridge makes me feel like if Banjo is in fact DLC he was meant to be early in release if not in the base game and then moved to DLC which is something Ive speculated before.. I still think it's possible he was meant to be in the base game and moved to DLC when it was apparent they couldnt finish him before launch. Pirahna Plant who was going to be in the base roster but moved to DLC in an attempt to include Banjo in the base roster was a bonus character because he was so far a long anyway. My theory was banking off Papagenos' theory of Banjo being agreed upon late in Ultimates development.

Aside from Banjo, Kazooie, Mumbo, Grunty, and Jinjos, there’s not many characters that have renders. Plus, I highly doubt they would use any art from Nuts and Bolts; however, I think representing Rare as a whole with the spirits is a good idea along with the Banjo ones.
Yeah, I’m expecting a bunch of spirits from Rare’s N64 library, since that’s where they made the biggest impact on Nintendo platforms (aside from Donkey Kong Country of course). So maybe JFG, Blast Corpse, Conker, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, maybe even Diddy Kong Racing?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Didn't Sakurai mention something on the level of Joker being revealed SUPER early?... so what if he isn't the next actual DLC character and the next character is whoever Brave is. Maybe showing them only a few weeks before release...

Maybe Brave was intended to be shown but it was changed for whatever reason. If Brave is Banjo maybe just maybe his reveal is hinging on some MS announcement that they don't want to show yet.. but will be shown before "theoretical Banjo release/reveal" it just may not have been ready to reveal during the Game Awards...

Probably not.. but I like speculation. Plus the Rare spirits being on the cartridge makes me feel like if Banjo is in fact DLC he was meant to be early in release if not in the base game and then moved to DLC which is something Ive speculated before.. I still think it's possible he was meant to be in the base game and moved to DLC when it was apparent they couldnt finish him before launch. Pirahna Plant who was going to be in the base roster but moved to DLC in an attempt to include Banjo in the base roster was a bonus character because he was so far a long anyway. My theory was banking off Papagenos' theory of Banjo being agreed upon late in Ultimates development.
When they announced Joker he was billed as character 1 in his trailer.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Well Banjo is a honey bear, which are also called Sun Bears. They're the smallest bear species so I assume Banjo in cannon is not too big. I'd say an upright Duck Hunt Dog is actually a really good size for him. Standing upright he'd be about Mario size which is what I always pictured him at anyway.
Compared to Boggy, who is another bear, Banjo is quite small.
Polar bears are the largest species of bear...

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they can get Banjo & Kazooie’s VA Chris Sutherland on board. Reused voice clips would be better than realistic bear and bird noises though if they can’t get him.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Hopefully they can get Banjo & Kazooie’s VA Chris Sutherland on board. Reused voice clips would be better than realistic bear and bird noises though if they can’t get him.
His voice is iconic. It would be a crime if they didn't. What's the point if he doesn't GUH HUH

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I think it'd be super simple to just reuse their voices from the games for Smash instead of having to recruit Chris Sutherland to redub lines that are pretty much just silly sounds lol. Yet another example of how Banjo & Kazooie are already primed and ready for Smash, they have noises for nearly every action they do, even their Star KO is primed and ready with their falling down voice lol and I'd love every time they get KO'd from the side of the stages, Banjo just goes 'DOHHH'

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Third parties are typically given the royal treatment depending on what they allow, so I don't think we'd need to worry unless Rare lost the voice recordings.
Microsoft has the digital versions from the 360 "remasters". So i'm sure they have the files somewhere.

Last edited:

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Microsoft has the digital versions from the 360 "remasters". So i'm sure they have the files somewhere.
Nuts & Bolts reuses voice clips and some of those are used for Rare Replay when you highlight Banjo games. They definitely still have them.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
what if banjo uses his old voice from the 64 games but gose into a realistic bear growl every time he dose a smash attack lol

Mr. Stagg

I think it'd be super simple to just reuse their voices from the games for Smash instead of having to recruit Chris Sutherland to redub lines that are pretty much just silly sounds lol. Yet another example of how Banjo & Kazooie are already primed and ready for Smash, they have noises for nearly every action they do, even their Star KO is primed and ready with their falling down voice lol and I'd love every time they get KO'd from the side of the stages, Banjo just goes 'DOHHH'
I had a funny shower thought where what if their side smash would be Kazooie using the magic wrench from Nuts and Bolts to bash forward. They don't even use it for its intended purpose, just use it to bash people.

IronAidan07

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5749-4640-8009
I've never played a Banjo-Kazooie game, but this makes me want to have them in. Amazing Job!

Mr. Stagg

Lmao! Their Star KO would be the most hilarious one if they reused that falling down audio clip.
Plus one of the sounds for them being sent flying can be one of the pain sounds when they take damage. Perhaps Kazooie can make her falling sound when they are Star KO'ed.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I had a funny shower thought where what if their side smash would be Kazooie using the magic wrench from Nuts and Bolts to bash forward. They don't even use it for its intended purpose, just use it to bash people.
No better way to show that you acknowledge a game, yet don't care about it.

Plus one of the sounds for them being sent flying can be one of the pain sounds when they take damage. Perhaps Kazooie can make her falling sound when they are Star KO'ed.
Kazooie's reaction to that being "uh oh!" would be the most hilarious thing. More casual than :ultness: saying "Ouch!" whenever he's KOed normally.

Mr. Stagg

It would be cool to have a few Tooie bosses as spirits. I can see a Weldar spirit battle involving a giant Gray-skinned ROB that has the curry effect with electro floors.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It would be cool to have a few Tooie bosses as spirits. I can see a Weldar spirit battle involving a giant Gray-skinned ROB that has the curry effect with electro floors.
A giant King K. Rool could easily fill in for Mr. Patch in a stamina match where certain percentages have him shrink down and he shoots cannonballs as 'beach balls'!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
What about Kazooie bosses?

Conga could easily be Donkey Kong that starts with a Super Scope or something similar.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
The Dlc characters might come with spirits but would they have mii costumes too? I’d totally love like a Mumbo Jumbo mii swordfighter outfit.

Top Bottom