• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

FancySmash

Smash Lord
You know, I just wanna randomly bring up Bandana Dee's rise to fame. Megaton Punch might've been his debut, but Revenge of the King was his first big role. I like how, despite he knew he'd be no match for Kirby, he decided to enter the fray against him, all for his King's wishes, despite Dedede even telling him he didn't have to.

You know what I call that? I call that Brave.

:laugh: Yeah, I just wanted to randomly bring that up. Not sure it helps him in the long run, but he does have a way to fit that codename.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We'll see what happens. One thing for sure is they can't just relegate platformer entries to a separate portable system anymore, since the Switch encapsulated this purpose. They have no other choice but to do all future Kirby games on it once the 3DS is retired.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We'll see what happens. One thing for sure is they can't just relegate platformer entries to a separate portable system anymore, since the Switch encapsulated this purpose. They have no other choice but to do all future Kirby games on it once the 3DS is retired.
Has Nintendo said anything about discontinuing the 3DS anytime soon? It's been alive for over 8 years.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Has Nintendo said anything about discontinuing the 3DS anytime soon? It's been alive for over 8 years.
Not yet. They had claimed periodic support would continue, while most everyone else believes the customers' migration to the Switch will put an end to that.

But just in case anything happens by next year, I'm going to focus on buying as many games from the e-shop as humanly possible, including the DSi ones.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not yet. They had claimed periodic support would continue, while most everyone else believes the customers' migration to the Switch will put an end to that.
Nintendo treats the 3DS as a totally separate console from the Switch. According to them, the Switch is a home console with the benefit of being portable, whereas the 3DS is a low power but completely portable console with simpler capabilities. Which is fine, but at some point yes you're right people are going to migrate from the small 480-720p 3DS to a console with better games and graphics.

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
I think the "next phase of Kirby" thing was taken out of context.
https://www.hallab.co.jp/company/blog/detail/003271/
When translating the page to English, it's clear that Kuzamaki was referring to Star Allies when he said "next phase".
As the writer of the translation, I am 99% sure that I got the translation right. You got me all worried about whether I had it wrong, and I double-checked, and yeah, I'm nearly 100% sure I didn't get it wrong.

Edit: Even double checked with a native JP speaker lol

Last edited:

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
My personal interpretation for "next phase" is "something fresh". Although it's pretty obvious the next game, maybe two, will be on Switch.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
With all this talk about the future of Kirby, how does "Super Kirby Odyssey" sound? Or am I looking too deeply into this?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
That actually sounds great. I've always wondered how Kirby could go massive 3D or almost open world.
Seeing Kirby go open world has been a dream of mine since I played Mario Sunshine. Kirby has a really interesting world that I feel isn't taken full advantage of when it's constantly confined to 2D environments. And it's not just Popstar, there's a whole array of locales that I think would make for great areas to explore. Imagine riding the Warp Star across space to reach different levels (and I ain't talking about that overworld from Star Allies).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing Kirby go open world has been a dream of mine since I played Mario Sunshine. Kirby has a really interesting world that I feel isn't taken full advantage of when it's constantly confined to 2D environments. And it's not just Popstar, there's a whole array of locales that I think would make for great areas to explore. Imagine riding the Warp Star across space to reach different levels (and I ain't talking about that overworld from Star Allies).
Fortunately Kumazaki has an affinity towards old scrapped ideas (as evidenced by the stackable partners and HR-D3 in Return to Dream Land, and now playable Adeleine and the fully-realised helpers in Star Allies), so he would definitely want to go with a 3-D platformer approach. He really just needs the higher-ups to give him the go-ahead.

HAL has been resting on their laurels for a time, but if they want to keep their audience going forward they will have to shake up the formula, now that all eyes will be on any future projects for the Switch.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is what I need. Please Nintendo, look and listen to this man's idea.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
At this point it's the only option they can take from making Kirby games monotonous. The traditional Kirby formula is starting to get overused.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point it's the only option they can take from making Kirby games monotonous. The traditional Kirby formula is starting to get overused.
Yeah, Kumazaki is going to have to do that, otherwise he's in danger of becoming a one-trick pony if the only innovations he brings are "watch Kirby do this new kuh-raaaaaazy feat he'll never do after this game!".

Again, at least Epic Yarn's providing a break so they can plan things through.

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
Since were on the topic of new Kirby games, I have a question to propose. What would a Kirby rpg be like? How would the gameplay work? Would the story be simple and easy to understand while having deep lore hidden beneath, just like the mainline games? Would it be humor heavy? What characters would be playable? How would Kirby's usual gameplay work in an rpg format? Where would Bandana Dee fit in? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Since were on the topic of new Kirby games, I have a question to propose. What would a Kirby rpg be like? How would the gameplay work? Would the story be simple and easy to understand while having deep lore hidden beneath, just like the mainline games? Would it be humor heavy? What characters would be playable? How would Kirby's usual gameplay work in an rpg format? Where would Bandana Dee fit in? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I think just about any game can transition to a turn-based RPG decently well because all you need are 4-8 characters who could have a few different attacks each. That said I think Kirby would work pretty well as an action RPG too since all the different characters have different attacks and combos they could do. I think Kirby has always worked with simpler stories but something more like Super Mario RPG could help to explore the hidden lore a bit while keeping a Kirby feel with decent humor.
You have a pretty easy 4 right off the bat so you could potentially end it there but I think there would probably be a new character that would be added too and maybe even Adeleine.
Kirby's copy ability could probably work like Joker's personas in Persona 5 where it changes his "specials" while his basic and ranged attacks stay the same.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I really hope that once the Switch outpaces the 3DS we get remasterings of RtDL and the 3DS games on the Switch so more people can see these amazing Kirby games.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think the best chance for a 3-D entry to be released would be for the 30th anniversary. Only 4 years to go...
I think the best chance for a 3-D entry to be released would be for the 30th anniversary. Only 4 years to go...
I certainly hope we get 30th anniversary amiibo too. I missed out on the Zelda craze and now I gotta pay massive amounts of cash for some of them.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I actually thought of ideas for this once. When Kirby starts, he'd only have Inhale and Slide Kick as his moves. When fighting an enemy, he could use Inhale to gain a Copy Ability, with each one having up to four different moves. When Kirby gained a Copy Ability, he'd keep it and bring it to his other battles, though losing a certain amount of health would remove it. Outside of battle, he'd pretty much just walk around and encounter enemies.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I've been wondering lately if It came down to a choice for the last newcomer that wasn't Ken or Incineroar.

I'm thinking that it came down to one more Nintendo, non-Pokemon, newcomer. For example, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, and Dixie Kong. Dixie Kong was passed over due to DK getting K. Rool in a past direct, and Bandana Dee... I'm still chalking it up to Sakurai bias. :laugh:

Of course, it's likely that Isabelle was chosen versus Dee or Dixie due to AC only having one character, and Isabelle being easy to make due to just borrowing some things from Villager. Course, it still sucks that we could only get one more that a slot wasn't pre-chosen for.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I've been wondering lately if It came down to a choice for the last newcomer that wasn't Ken or Incineroar.

I'm thinking that it came down to one more Nintendo, non-Pokemon, newcomer. For example, Bandana Dee, Isabelle, and Dixie Kong. Dixie Kong was passed over due to DK getting K. Rool in a past direct, and Bandana Dee... I'm still chalking it up to Sakurai bias. :laugh:

Of course, it's likely that Isabelle was chosen versus Dee or Dixie due to AC only having one character, and Isabelle being easy to make due to just borrowing some things from Villager. Course, it still sucks that we could only get one more that a slot wasn't pre-chosen for.
Sakurai made a statement about popular newcomers who didn't make it. He listed reasons for a XC2 rep, Decidueye and an ARMS rep. He never mentioned Dee, meaning he can't bring himself to or Dee was never considered that much. Either way I'm so disappointed in him.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Sakurai made a statement about popular newcomers who didn't make it. He listed reasons for a XC2 rep, Decidueye and an ARMS rep. He never mentioned Dee, meaning he can't bring himself to or Dee was never considered that much. Either way I'm so disappointed in him.
Eh, I can't be too upset. Dixie Kong and Toad/Captain Toad are other long time non-inclusions that still haven't happened, and I guess he didn't mention them either. I'm assuming XC2 and ARMS were to recent, but what of Decidueye? Was it just that he preferred a wrestler character? I believe that's what I recall of incineroar.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Eh, I can't be too upset. Dixie Kong and Toad/Captain Toad are other long time non-inclusions that still haven't happened, and I guess he didn't mention them either. I'm assuming XC2 and ARMS were to recent, but what of Decidueye? Was it just that he preferred a wrestler character? I believe that's what I recall of incineroar.
Yeah, as for Bandana Dee, Sakurai is just doing what he does with Modern Kirby in the game: pretend it doesn't exist, and if he has to acknowledge it, pretend it's just a footnote compared to his games. The only way Bandana Dee's situation will change is if there's a new director that doesn't hate Modern Kirby and Bandana Dee. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Until then, he is and always will be less likely than Shrek and Goku.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Yeah, as for Bandana Dee, Sakurai is just doing what he does with Modern Kirby in the game: pretend it doesn't exist, and if he has to acknowledge it, pretend it's just a footnote compared to his games. The only way Bandana Dee's situation will change is if there's a new director that doesn't hate Modern Kirby and Bandana Dee. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: Until then, he is and always will be less likely than Shrek and Goku.
I wouldn't go that far. Bandana Dee at least has his foot in the door with a spirit. Good luck for Shrek or Goku ever getting that.

Unless we're talkin' Dragon Quest, which has the same art direction as Dragon Ball, then yeah, there's some competition there.

The more I think about it, the more I could potentially see a Wave 2 for DLC. Something along the lines of Nintendo ending Wave 1 with all third parties and saying something like this:

"Thank you everyone who's stuck by and supported the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate DLC fighters. We're glad you're all excited for these new characters. But some of you might be wondering where some of your favorite Nintendo characters are? Well, that's where Season 2 comes in. That's right, we're still not done with DLC. This time, the fighters will all be from existing Nintendo franchises, characters who missed their chance due to time constraints, ones that we would've liked to have added, but just didn't get the chance!"

From there, I don't know how it'd go. 5 more like season 1? I'd assume Rex's chances would increase with that, but assists would probably still remain assists, if only for what's been said about them in the past. Clearly, Dee should be one of these theoretical 5.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
From there, I don't know how it'd go. 5 more like season 1? I'd assume Rex's chances would increase with that, but assists would probably still remain assists, if only for what's been said about them in the past. Clearly, Dee should be one of these theoretical 5.
I can only assume that assists will have to stay assists, but redundancies in mii fighter outfits aren't impossible. I guess if a wave 2 is announced I'd be tempted to consider rex and Dee as locks.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
We can't stop hoping for him. and remember, BDee was introduced in Sakurai's baby (Kirby super Star) which he still references in smash.

Top Bottom