• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
What if ....

Bandana Dee was DLC

BUT

It was in his Parasol form from Kirby Battle Royale instead of a spear which he normally uses ?
I'd take it over anything that's not a fighter, but I'd probably get mad at Sakurai all over again for not being able to represent a Kirby ability from a Non-Sakurai Kirby game, especially if he's coupled with a Sakurai-Era stage. I'd also just be unhappy in general, since I really dislike it when there are major non-authentic changes to a character (give DK, Diddy and Bowser their voices back and replace Goldeen with Magikarp pleeaase)

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
What if ....

Bandana Dee was DLC

BUT

It was in his Parasol form from Kirby Battle Royale instead of a spear which he normally uses ?
I mean, that would be totally fine, but there really isn't a reason as to why he can't use his spear. Though, the parasol "form" of BWD has no mention/reference in Ultimate as of yet, so technically if specific spirits do deconfirm, then parasol BWD is still available! I don't know if that made any sense...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I mean, that would be totally fine, but there really isn't a reason as to why he can't use his spear. Though, the parasol "form" of BWD has no mention/reference in Ultimate as of yet, so technically if specific spirits do deconfirm, then parasol BWD is still available! I don't know if that made any sense...
Don't worry, it made sense to me.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd take it over anything that's not a fighter, but I'd probably get mad at Sakurai all over again for not being able to represent a Kirby ability from a Non-Sakurai Kirby game, especially if he's coupled with a Sakurai-Era stage. I'd also just be unhappy in general, since I really dislike it when there are major non-authentic changes to a character (give DK, Diddy and Bowser their voices back and replace Goldeen with Magikarp pleeaase)
to be fair the spear is from non sakurai games

it did

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That actually makes a lot of sense. Imagine Sakurai just revealing "Waddle Dee" as another surprise generic enemy who does't use the spear and simply uses other attacks.

At that point we could only confirm Sakurai bias.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That actually makes a lot of sense. Imagine Sakurai just revealing "Waddle Dee" as another surprise generic enemy who does't use the spear and simply uses other attacks.

That would confirm Sakurai madness.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
No no guys, if Sakurai were ever to add Bandana Dee, he'd have 100% Megaton Punch moves only.

No spear. No parasol. No vehicles from Kirby 64 like the mine cart, sled, or lift. Just an entire moveset based on one subgame, because bias. :laugh:

osby

Smash Obsessed
No no guys, if Sakurai were ever to add Bandana Dee, he'd have 100% Megaton Punch moves only.

No spear. No parasol. No vehicles from Kirby 64 like the mine cart, sled, or lift. Just an entire moveset based on one subgame, because bias. :laugh:

How much you want to bet there is at least one user who thinks these are likely?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Remind me again, what Sakurai Kirby did the reps' current FSs come from?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

dont even joke

Remind me again, what Sakurai Kirby did the reps' current FSs come from?
we're fans we like to be melodramatic

Last edited:

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
It's partially an ironic joke at this point. :p
In all seriousness, I feel that the "smash" fanbase would go livid if we got "another generic enemy". Hell, there are still some that won't accept the fact that no matter what they feel, piranha plant is in smash.
Edit: I'm talking about the regular waddle dee idea.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
In all seriousness, I feel that the "smash" fanbase would go livid if we got "another generic enemy". Hell, there are still some that won't accept the fact that no matter what they feel, piranha plant is in smash.
Edit: I'm talking about the regular waddle dee idea.
At this point we know that it doesn't matter how livid the fanbase can get. Sakurai can add who he wants and angry people on the internet aren't going to stop him. If the next four DLC fighters are Goombs, Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones and Shy Guy I'd be fine.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
At this point we know that it doesn't matter how livid the fanbase can get. Sakurai can add who he wants and angry people on the internet aren't going to stop him. If the next four DLC fighters are Goombs, Koopa Troopa, Dry Bones and Shy Guy I'd be fine.
sometimes i think he makes stuff up to try and avoid to backlash

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
#fivestagesofgrief

osby

Smash Obsessed
sometimes i think he makes stuff up to try and avoid to backlash
Like which instance?

I never got the impression that Sakurai cares too much about defending himself from the complaints.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Like which instance?

I never got the impression that Sakurai cares too much about defending himself from the complaints.
well its pure speculation but he does sometimes say things which dont make a lot of sense of dont sound believable so you gotta wonder why he said it

for one thing he says that nintendo were the ones who chose the dlc and then the first dlc character is someone whom most would think is not someone nintendo would pick and then the whole business with the "winner" of the ballot if you believe the claims that it was picked before the ballot ended then its pretty obvious he said it was so as not to deal with that backlash that he wasnt using the ballot, even though they had said the ballot was for the future

really it comes down to how much you believe sakurai

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
Sakurai has already begun work on the fighters pass. If a second fighters pass is made in the future, why the heck would they select characters that are already equipable spirits in the game to be fighters? You all discount assist trophies, why should spirits, which also have an affect on the game, be any different?

I love Bandana Dee, and I'd love him to be playable, but I've decided to be reasonable and not expect the unlikely. We don't know what Sakurai will do, of course, but don't think Bandana Dee will be playable. He, alongside other spirit characters, likely won't be.

osby

Smash Obsessed
well its pure speculation but he does sometimes say things which dont make a lot of sense of dont sound believable so you gotta wonder why he said it

for one thing he says that nintendo were the ones who chose the dlc and then the first dlc character is someone whom most would think is not someone nintendo would pick and then the whole business with the "winner" of the ballot if you believe the claims that it was picked before the ballot ended then its pretty obvious he said it was so as not to deal with that backlash that he wasnt using the ballot, even though they had said the ballot was for the future

really it comes down to how much you believe sakurai
As far as we know, Nintendo picked Joker, not Sakurai. If you think otherwise, you need evidence for it. As for why he said it, he was avoiding fans who spam him with requests in his own account even though character selection was complete, not backslash.

Winner of the ballot thing got talked about to death, so to keep it short: Ballot was a suggestion pool, not a voting and there is nothing wrong with picking a character after two weeks, since the majority of the votes would be from start.

Also, even if it's pure speculation, you can find good evidence going for it. What you have is just vague, baseless "makes you think" and overall a bad way to tell the line of thought of someone you don't personally know.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sakurai has already begun work on the fighters pass. If a second fighters pass is made in the future, why the heck would they select characters that are already equipable spirits in the game to be fighters? You all discount assist trophies, why should spirits, which also have an affect on the game, be any different?

I love Bandana Dee, and I'd love him to be playable, but I've decided to be reasonable and not expect the unlikely. We don't know what Sakurai will do, of course, but don't think Bandana Dee will be playable. He, alongside other spirit characters, likely won't be.
Let me flip that on its head: why the heck wouldn't they select characters just because they are already equipable spirits? And Assist Trophies too, for that matter.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

This and what I said about them being able to stuff fighter passes 2 and 3 with even more 3rd parties. Spirits are basically Assist Trophies but they're not really in the game. So Bandana Dee's just deconfirmed without any silver lining. I don't get why people don't see that.

Let me flip that on its head: why the heck wouldn't they select characters just because they are already equipable spirits? And Assist Trophies too, for that matter.
Because they're already represented. They're not gonna go back on the work they put in to include a character who's a Spirit or an Assist Trophy until a whole new game is released. The sooner we all accept that Bandana Dee's deconfirmed and that it's gonna take about 10 Years for us to get another chance (which we won't really have because Sakurai bias but I digress), the less it'll hurt.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As far as we know, Nintendo picked Joker, not Sakurai. If you think otherwise, you need evidence for it. As for why he said it, he was avoiding fans who spam him with requests in his own account even though character selection was complete, not backslash.

Winner of the ballot thing got talked about to death, so to keep it short: Ballot was a suggestion pool, not a voting and there is nothing wrong with picking a character after two weeks, since the majority of the votes would be from start.

Also, even if it's pure speculation, you can find good evidence going for it. What you have is just vague, baseless "makes you think" and overall a bad way to tell the line of thought of someone you don't personally know.
surely by the same logic we need evidence he's telling us the truth, what good evidence is there that nintendo chose joker? we only have sakurai's word for it no one else a nintendo backed up this claim

sure we dont have any reason to disbelieve him but we dont have any reason to believe him either, i said it was all speculation i never claimed to know his thought process im not saying "makes you think" at all i just wonder why hes says the things he does

im well aware of what the ballot was but he still said there was a winner, later it was said it was a suggestion box not a popularity poll and yet there was a "winner"

im not trying to tell what he things, im just saying that a lot of the things he says are some what contradictory

and in the long run what does it matter if hes lying to us or telling the truth?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai said Nintendo chose the DLC overall, and all he did was find a way to make the character workable. His wording can imply he approved of the final character from a list too. There is no reason to believe otherwise among these two options. That's just putting words in his mouth. It's clear entirely that Nintendo has hefty control.

Spirits mean nothing here. They aren't remotely comparable to AT's in any way. They're equippable effects. We have multiple spirits for Mario as well as his Fighter Spirit. They aren't a problem for DLC. At best, they have to change the wording slightly on a current Spirit. Big. Deal. That's not hard to do at all. Take Shantae for example. Just give her another quick name that's appropriate to the effect or pose. Like Wii Fit Trainer having a Tree Spirit.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
and in the long run what does it matter if hes lying to us or telling the truth?
Because you're making accusations about a person without concrete evidence and it's frowned upon in a lot of places.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Because you're making accusations about a person without concrete evidence and it's frowned upon in a lot of places.
im not accusing him at all im saying its a possibility and we should all be a bit opened minded

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Because they're already represented.
Except with Nintendo responding to the Waluigi backlash, they know "already represented" is not good enough for many. Hell, you can make an entire Fighter's Pass out of item-deconfirmed characters who would be easy sales:
  • Waluigi I shouldn't need to explain
  • Lyn is the winner of FE Heroes' first Choose Your Legends poll
  • Eevee was chosen to be the alternative to Pikachu in Let's Go because of its family's massive popularity
  • While Richter was added for Japanese appeal, they still prefer Bomberman over Castlevania.
  • Speaking of Castlevania, Sakurai knew Alucard would have more mainstream appeal.
  • As Sonic Boom has stated, Shadow is "the second most popular character".
Not to mention, Kirby marketing pushes Waddle Dees as the forth main character and BWD had a ton of Japanese demand.

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
This and what I said about them being able to stuff fighter passes 2 and 3 with even more 3rd parties. Spirits are basically Assist Trophies but they're not really in the game. So Bandana Dee's just deconfirmed without any silver lining. I don't get why people don't see that.

Because they're already represented. They're not gonna go back on the work they put in to include a character who's a Spirit or an Assist Trophy until a whole new game is released. The sooner we all accept that Bandana Dee's deconfirmed and that it's gonna take about 10 Years for us to get another chance (which we won't really have because Sakurai bias but I digress), the less it'll hurt.
I'm glad someone else here has some sense!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Sakurai said Nintendo chose the DLC overall, and all he did was find a way to make the character workable. His wording can imply he approved of the final character from a list too. There is no reason to believe otherwise among these two options. That's just putting words in his mouth. It's clear entirely that Nintendo has hefty control.

Spirits mean nothing here. They aren't remotely comparable to AT's in any way. They're equippable effects. We have multiple spirits for Mario as well as his Fighter Spirit. They aren't a problem for DLC. At best, they have to change the wording slightly on a current Spirit. Big. Deal. That's not hard to do at all. Take Shantae for example. Just give her another quick name that's appropriate to the effect or pose. Like Wii Fit Trainer having a Tree Spirit.
Except with Nintendo responding to the Waluigi backlash, they know "already represented" is not good enough for many. Hell, you can make an entire Fighter's Pass out of item-deconfirmed characters who would be easy sales:
  • Waluigi I shouldn't need to explain
  • Lyn is the winner of FE Heroes' first Choose Your Legends poll
  • Eevee was chosen to be the alternative to Pikachu in Let's Go because of its family's massive popularity
  • While Richter was added for Japanese appeal, they still prefer Bomberman over Castlevania.
  • Speaking of Castlevania, Sakurai knew Alucard would have more mainstream appeal.
  • As Sonic Boom has stated, Shadow is "the second most popular character".
Not to mention, Kirby marketing pushes Waddle Dees as the forth main character and BWD had a ton of Japanese demand.
It's not a matter of whether or not Sakurai could, but whether or not he would. He could just say "OK I'll add Waluigi/Shantae/Bandana Dee/*insert deconfirrmed character here*." But he wouldn't. Sakurai has a whole bunch of other characters he considers a higher priority who are not already Spirits, Poke Balls or ATs. He could just promote Shantae and Bandana Dee and change their spirit names to Shantae (Half Genie Hero) and Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby's Return to Dream Land), but he wouldn't. Because as Reggie stated, the characters are all going to be characters who haven't appeared in the series in any way shape or form, and they are no exception.

I'm glad someone else here has some sense!
I know, right. It's kinda sad how much people hold on to false hope, especially when there's clear evidence that that hope is false.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's not a matter of whether or not Sakurai could, but whether or not he would. He could just say "OK I'll add Waluigi/Shantae/Bandana Dee/*insert deconfirrmed character here*." But he wouldn't. Sakurai has a whole bunch of other characters he considers a higher priority who are not already Spirits, Poke Balls or ATs. He could just promote Shantae and Bandana Dee and change their spirit names to Shantae (Half Genie Hero) and Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby's Return to Dream Land), but he wouldn't. Because as Reggie stated, the characters are all going to be characters who haven't appeared in the series in any way shape or form, and they are no exception.
AT's are heavily decided as very specific gameplay roles as characters who couldn't make it in as playable.

Spirits were mostly ideas by his co-workers to replace Trophies while having a gameplay purpose.

They're not comparable at all. They're in very different positions.

So no, those are not convincing reasons. Even then, he absolutely could make Waluigi playable if he wanted to. He would do it due to a lot of fan demand. It would sell too. That's more than enough. However, since Nintendo is choosing the DLC, unless it came up, he would have no reason to pick it. Unlike Spirits who have tiny roles, any of them could easily be playable characters while not affecting anything else. He isn't going to go out of his way to say no because they're a spirit. That's pretty nonsexnsical at this point. They're nothing more than trophies that are more than "nice to look at", but barely much more. You'd have a remote point of them mattering if we didn't have multiple Mario spirits as well. If it was that important, we'd solely have two spirits, both fighter ones, for Mario and Dr. Mario and that's literally it. Guess what's not the case, completely eliminating the issue? Bandanna Dee, for instance, could easily be a DLC character, and all they'd have to do is rename the in-game wording for Dee's actual spirit. That was easy. That's the extent of work he has to do.

Why would he choose any spirit? Why wouldn't he. It hurts nothing and takes no real work to fix the text display by any means. It only makes more fans happy to see their cool character in. He at most approved of each spirit, something he noted recently. He is not going to keep a list of around 1300 spirits for the sole purpose of "lol, these guys cannot be playable". That's assuming he's super petty over nothing. He isn't. Have a big more faith in the guy.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
AT's are heavily decided as very specific gameplay roles as characters who couldn't make it in as playable.

Spirits were mostly ideas by his co-workers to replace Trophies while having a gameplay purpose.

So no, those are not convincing reasons. Even then, he absolutely could make Waluigi playable if he wanted to. He would do it due to a lot of fan demand. It would sell too. That's more than enough. However, since Nintendo is choosing the DLC, unless it came up, he would have no reason to pick it. Unlike Spirits who have tiny roles, any of them could easily be playable characters while not affecting anything else. He isn't going to go out of his way to say no because they're a spirit. That's pretty nonsexnsical at this point. They're nothing more than trophies that are more than "nice to look at", but barely much more. You'd have a remote point of them mattering if we didn't have multiple Mario spirits as well. If it was that important, we'd solely have two spirits, both fighter ones, for Mario and Dr. Mario and that's literally it. Guess what's not the case, completely eliminating the issue? Bandanna Dee, for instance, could easily be a DLC character, and all they'd have to do is rename the in-game wording for Dee's actual spirit. That was easy. That's the extent of work he has to do.

Why would he choose any spirit? Why wouldn't he. It hurts nothing and takes no real work to fix the text display by any means. It only makes more fans happy to see their cool character in. He at most approved of each spirit, something he noted recently. He is not going to keep a list of around 1300 spirits for the sole purpose of "lol, these guys cannot be playable". That's assuming he's super petty over nothing. He isn't. Have a big more faith in the guy.
But they still have a gameplay purpose. A character can't have a gameplay purpose in a non-fighter role and be a fighter at the same time (Chrom was likely a last-minute addition, since they take time to change Final Smashes just like ATs, Bosses, and the like (Example: Pit and Palutena)).

Also, most if not all of the characters who have multiple spirits either have some sort of separate identity or have no other means to represent them, be it like Dr. Mario, Kaptain K. Rool, alternate Links and Zeldas, or an embodiment of a Wii Fit Pose, or something like Plessie or the Robobot Armor who don't have any images that don't include fighters. The highly requested characters either have their main identity as a spirit, with no equal alternate identities to turn to, like Shantae and Bandana Dee (all forms of Shantae are the same Shantae and are simply known as Shantae) or for alternate identities, have those identities as spirits like Paper Mario.

Don't look at it as "No. They're a Spirit". We know a separate team chose spirits from an Interview, so Sakurai and/or Nintendo could have chosen the DLC characters and Sakurai could have just said "Pick whoever you want to be Spirits, except for these 6 characters."

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
But they still have a gameplay purpose. A character can't have a gameplay purpose in a non-fighter role and be a fighter at the same time (Chrom was likely a last-minute addition, since they take time to change Final Smashes just like ATs, Bosses, and the like (Example: Pit and Palutena)).
Yeah, but :ultsamus: is in :ultzss:'s FS. It might be just a artistic decision.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah, but :ultsamus: is in :ultzss:'s FS. It might be just a artistic decision.
I actually have a theory on that. Notice how the only trophies that made it to being fighters during the Smash 4 DLC Days are both veterans. Also notice how TL is on Spirit Train, but is taken out whenever any Link is present. Same thing with Dedede on Dream Land 64. What I think is that Chrom was a last minute addition, and that Veterans are just immune to any deconfirmation rules, since they already made it in as a fighter.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Chrom was decided upon literally at the start of development. The game itself was rushed. He might've been worked on a bit later at best. It means nothing. Team Up actually fits Robin still and Final Smashes are now more cutscene-like entirely, which is probably why it's actually still there. It fits too well and takes too much time to make an all new model when Chrom works fine. It's a fan rule that you cannot have someone in a Final Smash also as a playable character. Or basically,t he whole NPC rule is being taken more seriously than it should. There's no real evidence to suggest Chrom being still in Team Up was a "last minute decision" in itself. It's a decent excuse, but doesn't hold any real water.

Also, most if not all of the characters who have multiple spirits either have some sort of separate identity or have no other means to represent them, be it like Dr. Mario, Kaptain K. Rool, alternate Links and Zeldas, or an embodiment of a Wii Fit Pose, or something like Plessie or the Robobot Armor who don't have any images that don't include fighters. The highly requested characters either have their main identity as a spirit, with no equal alternate identities to turn to, like Shantae and Bandana Dee (all forms of Shantae are the same Shantae and are simply known as Shantae) or for alternate identities, have those identities as spirits like Paper Mario.
Yep. And that applies to every single possible DLC character. Your point doesn't hold any water. They can just say "Shantae(Alternate)" if they're out of ideas. You do know that there's no longer basic alternate spirits like previous games had at least multiple trophies per character, right? They got alternate spirits for alternate costumes or poses because there was only one Fighter spirit per character. Alternate costumes didn't matter. Hell, even alternate forms like Alph didn't get a fighter spirit(for some reason), so it's clear something they already thought out enough to prevent this sort of issue.

Don't look at it as "No. They're a Spirit". We know a separate team chose spirits from an Interview, so Sakurai and/or Nintendo could have chosen the DLC characters and Sakurai could have just said "Pick whoever you want to be Spirits, except for these 6 characters."
Not that simple. Sakurai looked at every single Spirit chosen and actually removed some himself. He knows what they all are. There's just no reason to believe he actually cares if they're a spirit or not in any way when it comes to DLC. People keep saying it like he does, but that's a huge assumption that requires us to not be willing to have any remote faith in him. The burden of proof is on you to show why we should believe he would remotely care. You're making a pretty huge leap of reasoning, so back it up with actual evidence here. Comparing it to AT's and Pokeballs who are in entirely different positions and reasonings doesn't work as an analogy and only hurt your point. Spirits are updated Trophies. No more, no less. I would keep this point in mind while making your next argument towards this. For the record, "I don't have any reason to believe a spirit would get updated" is a fair argument. You're right. We don't have any actual reason to believe they will be updated.

We at least know the purpose behind AT's. Apparently Pokeballs are similar. Never stated, though in the case of Pokeballs, they're all Pokemon that have fun gameplay purposes. AT's were actually based upon the idea of "characters who could not be playable". I don't remember any case stated related to Pokeballs.

D-Man9293

Smash Ace

You only say that because you want it to be true.

Top Bottom