• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
If spirits did deconfirm dlc for characters who are spirits, then wouldn't that mean that Nintendo would have to go out of their way to pick the dlc? Besides, if we treat spirits the same as trophies, then think about smash 4. Lucas and Mewtwo had non-fighter trophies before they became dlc, but they also got dlc trophies. The older trophies still exist. If a spirit based fighter does get in smash, then they would probably just make a fighter spirit for said character as well. For example, the BWD spirit doesn't use his most modern art. If he gets in as DLC, the fighter spirit can either be his star allies art or the smash one. For comparison...
Lucas' DLC Trophy.
120px-LucasDLCTrophy3DS.png
120px-LucasTrophyWiiU.png
The Original Trophy...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If spirits did deconfirm dlc for characters who are spirits, then wouldn't that mean that Nintendo would have to go out of their way to pick the dlc?
The logic would be that DLC was picked before Spirits, so after DLC was decided on, the Spirits team simply didn't include characters who will become DLC as Spirits.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
If spirits did deconfirm dlc for characters who are spirits, then wouldn't that mean that Nintendo would have to go out of their way to pick the dlc? Besides, if we treat spirits the same as trophies, then think about smash 4. Lucas and Mewtwo had non-fighter trophies before they became dlc, but they also got dlc trophies. The older trophies still exist. If a spirit based fighter does get in smash, then they would probably just make a fighter spirit for said character as well. For example, the BWD spirit doesn't use his most modern art. If he gets in as DLC, the fighter spirit can either be his star allies art or the smash one. For comparison...
Lucas' DLC Trophy.View attachment 200038View attachment 200040 The Original Trophy...
We don't know that Nintendo picked DLC. After all, Joker is a very Sakurai pick to make, considering how he used P5 as a large inspiration for Smash Ultimate. He could just say it's Nintendo to try to get the blame off of him for bias. Also, we know the DLC is most likely to be all 3rd party, so why would Nintendo turn down literally every one of their characters? It's not a Nintendo thing to do, so it only makes sense for Sakurai to have made the picks and put the blame for any possible biases on Nintendo. Could be wrong, but all 5 being 3rd parties REALLY doesn't sound like Nintendo, even in this 3rd party friendly age for the company.

Also, Spirits, unlike trophies, do have an actual role during fights. Since they already have a non-fighter role in battles, they can't be promoted until next game. That's just how things work. And as for the Lucas trophy argument, notice how the only characters to make that jump are veterans. No one else was able to come back from the lesser roles, no matter whether or not they had a role on the battlefield. Inkling and K. Rool? Deconfirmed for Smash 4. All the other trophies? Same boat. Also notice how TL is a background cameo in Spirit Train, but it didn't deconfirm him. Also notice how Ridley was deconfirmed by Pyrosphere, only for that stage to be removed when Ridley became a fighter as if it was the same as an AT promotion. My theory is that veterans aren't the rule, but the exception.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well, we don't know that.
I wrote a bit about why I think he DLCs gonna be all 3rd party (along with no fan favorites, which could be attributed to both Sakurai and Nintendo) for another thread as to why I think spirits do deconfirm:

Reggie’s words about Joker:

First of all, we know who the first character of the DLC fighter pass is: Joker from Persona 5. While he doesn’t provide any evidence that Spirits deconfirm in and of himself, what Reggie Fils-Amié, President of Nintendo of America, said about Joker that does. Reggie, shortly after Joker’s reveal, said the following:

“And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC. So the DLC: there’s going to be five characters. Each character will come with a stage; it will come with a collection of music. These are going to be characters that are new to the series just like Joker from Persona 5: characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

There are 3 parts of Reggies statement that are important here:

“And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC”:

Reggie is saying that the other DLC fighters are going to be like Joker. But the question is: how are they going to be like him? The most likely answer is that they are Third Party characters. This is because of the precedent that was set by the DLC from Smash 4 with Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. All but one of them are Third Party, so the first DLC pick for this game being Third Party coupled with the fact that Reggie said that the other fighters are going to be like him implies that the DLC for this game will follow the Third Party precedent set by the previous game and will be mostly, if not completely Third Party, which is bad news for characters like Bandana Dee, Elma and Octolings.

“characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate”:

Reggie said that the fighters would not be anticipated. To anticipate could mean “to expect” or “to look forward to” (as in “to want”), or even both. Assuming Reggie means that they would be unexpected newcomers, that instantly throws any characters previously perceived by the community as likely out of the running, such as Geno and Bandana Dee. Additionally, it follows the idea that I mentioned earlier that the DLC would follow the Third Party precedent of Smash 4. Conversely, there is the possibility that Reggie is saying that the characters are not characters who are wanted or highly requested. This means that all of the characters who were previously considered contenders to get in due to them being highly requested would not be making it into the roster.

“These are going to be characters that are new to the series”:

The other two statements don’t necessarily mean that Spirits deconfirm; only that fan-favorites and characters that were previously expected are now out of the running. However, this statement actually provides evidence that Spirits, in particular, deconfirm. Notice how he said “new to the series” and didn’t simply say “newcomers” or “new challengers”. He’s trying to say that there will be no fighters in the DLC pass that have appeared in a Smash Bros. game in any other way, shape or form. No Poké Balls, no Assist Trophies, and no Spirits.

I think it's an extremely Nintendo thing to do: assume people don't care about their IPs not called Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. That's their great mistake.
That is a good point. Regardless, things are looking very bad for Bandana Dee. I honestly think it's too late for him. Even if he wasn't a spirit, Sakurai and Nintendo would have just glossed over him and then he would have been left out due to bias for next game and any other games that have Sakurai as director or in any other position that can choose the fighters in the game. Less likely than Shrek and Goku.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wrote a bit about why I think he DLCs gonna be all 3rd party (along with no fan favorites, which could be attributed to both Sakurai and Nintendo) for another thread as to why I think spirits do deconfirm:

Reggie’s words about Joker:

First of all, we know who the first character of the DLC fighter pass is: Joker from Persona 5. While he doesn’t provide any evidence that Spirits deconfirm in and of himself, what Reggie Fils-Amié, President of Nintendo of America, said about Joker that does. Reggie, shortly after Joker’s reveal, said the following:

“And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC. So the DLC: there’s going to be five characters. Each character will come with a stage; it will come with a collection of music. These are going to be characters that are new to the series just like Joker from Persona 5: characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

There are 3 parts of Reggies statement that are important here:

“And so this [Joker] give you a flavor about how we’re approaching the DLC”:

Reggie is saying that the other DLC fighters are going to be like Joker. But the question is: how are they going to be like him? The most likely answer is that they are Third Party characters. This is because of the precedent that was set by the DLC from Smash 4 with Ryu, Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta. All but one of them are Third Party, so the first DLC pick for this game being Third Party coupled with the fact that Reggie said that the other fighters are going to be like him implies that the DLC for this game will follow the Third Party precedent set by the previous game and will be mostly, if not completely Third Party, which is bad news for characters like Bandana Dee, Elma and Octolings.

“characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate”:

Reggie said that the fighters would not be anticipated. To anticipate could mean “to expect” or “to look forward to” (as in “to want”), or even both. Assuming Reggie means that they would be unexpected newcomers, that instantly throws any characters previously perceived by the community as likely out of the running, such as Geno and Bandana Dee. Additionally, it follows the idea that I mentioned earlier that the DLC would follow the Third Party precedent of Smash 4. Conversely, there is the possibility that Reggie is saying that the characters are not characters who are wanted or highly requested. This means that all of the characters who were previously considered contenders to get in due to them being highly requested would not be making it into the roster.

“These are going to be characters that are new to the series”:

The other two statements don’t necessarily mean that Spirits deconfirm; only that fan-favorites and characters that were previously expected are now out of the running. However, this statement actually provides evidence that Spirits, in particular, deconfirm. Notice how he said “new to the series” and didn’t simply say “newcomers” or “new challengers”. He’s trying to say that there will be no fighters in the DLC pass that have appeared in a Smash Bros. game in any other way, shape or form. No Poké Balls, no Assist Trophies, and no Spirits.

That is a good point. Regardless, things are looking very bad for Bandana Dee. I honestly think it's too late for him. Even if he wasn't a spirit, Sakurai and Nintendo would have just glossed over him and then he would have been left out due to bias for next game and any other games that have Sakurai as director or in any other position that can choose the fighters in the game. Less likely than Shrek and Goku.
I agree with the notion that Spirits disconfirm and that DLC will be all third parties, but there's not a lot of hard evidence behind it. The only thing I find that's solid is the 'new to Smash' thing, but some people interpret that as a roundabout way to say newcomer (which I find moronic, but there you go)

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah. I don't remember where, but before Joker was added in, I think he said that he took a large inspiration for the menus from it. There's also the fact that the portrait cut-ins when using a Final Smash are very similar to something used in P5. (can someone give me a proper source for all that?) So yeah. Sakurai bias is most definitely still running rampant.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. I don't remember where, but before Joker was added in, I think he said that he took a large inspiration for the menus from it. There's also the fact that the portrait cut-ins when using a Final Smash are very similar to something used in P5. (can someone give me a proper source for all that?) So yeah. Sakurai bias is most definitely still running rampant.
hmm interesting, although the menu thing is rubbish hes been using the same style for years

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
hmm interesting, although the menu thing is rubbish hes been using the same style for years
They're actually quite different in Ultimate, when compared to Brawl and Smash 4, which are quite similar.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
After playing some Mario Maker, and noticing that 7 mystery costumes were never released for whatever reason, I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't an event course that was a faithful remake of Green Greens, and completing it gave a Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee mystery mushroom. Hopefully for Mario Maker 2...

On another note, I've been reviewing Smash in my head, and honestly, a lot of series don't get very good representation in Smash. It's not just Kirby and our pick Bandana Dee getting hit hard, other series have some kind of problem. To highlight this, I'd like to briefly go over every series, building up to worst representation. Not including Mii, retro picks, which seem to be stuck with only one rep for the time being (though I have some notes on ROB's series), and no third parties. And, since I noticed that it gets a bit lengthy, I'm putting it in spoilers.

Series that got off better than others
Metroid - If this wasn't Smash Ultimate, expect this to be higher on the list. But thanks to not one, but two additions to the roster, Metroid is, in my opinion, represented as well as it can be. There might be some nitpicks, like Zero Suit Samus being in alongside normal Samus, but I don't necessarily find that an issue.

Wii Fit - Honestly, I don't know what else could be done to represent the series. Wii Fit is a series that rather lacks in characters, unless we count the balance board as a character.

Punch Out - I can't deny that I'd actually like to see Doc Louis as playable, but at the same time, the series seems just fine with Mac only. We could get other boxers, but I don't see it as a necessity. Absolutely feel free to disagree though.

Splatoon - This series really only sits here due to timing of things. Give it a few years, and if we don't see more content for it, then it could go up the list.

Animal Crossing - While I would like to see Tom Nook, I must admit for Animal Crossing to get 2 reps, I'm rather surprised. I'll let the absence of the tanuki slide... this time.

F-Zero - F-Zero rounds out the end of this section simply because, in my opinion, it borders crossing into the next category. It is the only series of the original twelve that only has one representative (we'll get to you, Yoshi). F-Zero has the grounds for an echo fighter, but it doesn't seem likely. Part of F-Zero's problem for a unique character, is that anything you give said rep would mostly be made up from nowhere. It's the best series to transition with.

Series that could be treated better
Star Fox - I personally think Star Fox, for what it's worth, is treated rather well, but I won't deny that there are other characters that fans would like to see. Krystal, Slippy, Peppy, or even other members of Star Wolf are easy to point to, but the really adventurous could go with Andross or General Pepper. However, any character you go with would likely end up similar to Fox/Falco/Wolf, mainly due to the same issues F-Zero faces.

Donkey Kong - Getting King K. Rool is a massive achievement, and I think DK has gotten quite a bit of attention this time around... but I'm not gonna pretend that Dixie hasn't been shafted for a long time now. Considering her almost making Brawl, then basically disappearing from developers minds, I think she's long overdue. Even disregarding her, other Kong members are always an option, like Funky or Cranky.

Kid Icarus - This series... baffles me. Some say it has too little, others say too much. I think the issue stems from Smash 4 giving it too much too fast. It certainly calmed down with Ultimate, and I acknowledge there worthy characters, like Viridi, Hades, or Medusa, in the wings. Feel free to put this one higher or lower depending on your views.

Xenoblade - This series certainly needs something. Elma, Rex/Pyra, something more than just Shulk. However, I am most definitely not the person to make the assessment. I've never played Xenoblade, so.. next.

Pikmin - I'm gonna leave Pikmin with one simple question and move on. Why on PNF-404 is Alph not an echo?

Mother - Mother's been getting attention as of late. Whether because for some baffling reason, the rest of the world still doesn't have Mother 3, or because Porky is MIA this time around, fans are anxious to see it get something more. Me? I'd personally like to see Ness get an echo with Ninten, but honestly, Mother has no plans for the future as a series, so it's likely it'll stay stagnant where it is.

Series that really need some help
Fire Emblem - In our final category, why not start out with the series that really boils Smash fans' blood. Fire Emblem is in a bizarre state where it somehow has too many fighters... and not enough fighters. Yeah, for a series with 3 different primary weapon types, Smash appropriately represents, an impressive, staggering... 1 type. And the kicker? They're represented this one, yes, one weapon, seven times. That's one time for each Koopaling! Characters like Robin, who don't even need to realistically rep that weapon, do it anyways alongside their main offense, magic. Congratulations FE, I'm looking forward to the future installments where you remove axes and lances and only have swords, what a weapon triangle that would be.

Kirby - Like DK and Xenoblade, Kirby is in the camp of missing an obvious fighter that should be in. So why isn't it placed near those series? Well, that's a complicated issue that... OK, I'm not gonna joke around. This is the Bandana Dee board. We all know what the issue is. Kirby in Smash is afraid to represent any games after Air Ride. Kirby is the one series in Smash where the representation doesn't just fall on characters. It's bewildering. And even if we count out our preferred Waddle Dee, fans have suggested other characters, like Marx, Adeleine, Magolor... to be frank, the list kind of goes on.

Zelda - This series is represented well with stages and items, but the character choice is insulting. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 1 Ganon(dorf). Come on, the Zelda series deserves better than that. Impa is a reoccurring character that'd fit rather well. Skull Kid has quite the fan base that'd be happy to see him in. Tingle even has his own spin-off games, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him playable, and I'm from the west, and we all know how most of the west feels about Tingle. Case point, there are so many other characters that could be in the game.

Pokémon - Oh boy, now we get into the really problematic series. First off, there is no way every type could ever be portrayed in this game. It's just not feasible. Second, many feel that this series has way to many reps. And to top that off, there are still characters that fans would like to see. Pokémon is in a state where it's darned if it does, and darned if it doesn't. There's really no way this series could win. Sure, Meowth, Eevee, Decidueye... feel free to insert whatever Pokémon you want here, would be good picks, but any recent pick could end up dated later. Look at Jigglypuff, several feel it's become a dated pick, and I reluctantly have to agree. And that's coming from someone whose main and favorite Pokémon is Jigglypuff. I personally see the same thing happening for Incineroar. I think it's best course of action, for one, is to simply stop reserving spots for the series.

Mario - So what's worse than having too many characters and being in a no win situation? Having too many characters and being in a situation where the picks you add could still be liked. Yeah, Mario, in my opinion, has the most problems repping in Smash. For all intents and purposes, I'm throwing Yoshi and Wario in here too (until I see Kamek/Baby Mario for Yoshi, or Ashley, Mona, heck, even Captain Syrup for Wario, they count as Mario reps to me). I say Mario has a win scenario because you see all the time, characters like Geno, Waluigi, Toad/Captain Toad have the demand, but in the most recent event, all three were passed up by Piranha Plant. Not Petey Piranha, or Naval Piranha (which, to be fair, could also have been a cool FS for plant), but a common Piranha Plant. It'd have been one thing if those characters were already in, and the devs wanted to embrace the plant idea after, but Mario all stars are still sitting in the wings with this plant on the character select board. What's worse, Piranha Plant has opened a can or worms that I'm not sure can be closed. What's to stop Goomba from joining before those three? Or Cheep Cheep? Or Beanie from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (if we do get a M&L rep, let it be Fawful)? And not to mention, Pauline's been gaining a following after Odyssey. Mario has a very similar issue to Pokémon, only while Mario has a lot of characters that are demanded, at least it doesn't have a juggernaut list of over 800 characters to choose from, well, realistically anyways...

If you decided to read through that, please feel free to tell me what you think. Sorry if I offended some with some of the complaints I made in it, I tried my best to keep it neutral, though some of the last few series' might have made it a bit more difficult. Anyways, I only brought up that list because I was noticing that Bandana Dee and the Kirby series weren't the only ones with issues. I suppose Smash has a bit of trouble with every series when it comes to proper representation.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
After playing some Mario Maker, and noticing that 7 mystery costumes were never released for whatever reason, I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't an event course that was a faithful remake of Green Greens, and completing it gave a Waddle Dee or Bandana Dee mystery mushroom. Hopefully for Mario Maker 2...

On another note, I've been reviewing Smash in my head, and honestly, a lot of series don't get very good representation in Smash. It's not just Kirby and our pick Bandana Dee getting hit hard, other series have some kind of problem. To highlight this, I'd like to briefly go over every series, building up to worst representation. Not including Mii, retro picks, which seem to be stuck with only one rep for the time being (though I have some notes on ROB's series), and no third parties. And, since I noticed that it gets a bit lengthy, I'm putting it in spoilers.

Metroid - If this wasn't Smash Ultimate, expect this to be higher on the list. But thanks to not one, but two additions to the roster, Metroid is, in my opinion, represented as well as it can be. There might be some nitpicks, like Zero Suit Samus being in alongside normal Samus, but I don't necessarily find that an issue.

Wii Fit - Honestly, I don't know what else could be done to represent the series. Wii Fit is a series that rather lacks in characters, unless we count the balance board as a character.

Punch Out - I can't deny that I'd actually like to see Doc Louis as playable, but at the same time, the series seems just fine with Mac only. We could get other boxers, but I don't see it as a necessity. Absolutely feel free to disagree though.

Splatoon - This series really only sits here due to timing of things. Give it a few years, and if we don't see more content for it, then it could go up the list.

Animal Crossing - While I would like to see Tom Nook, I must admit for Animal Crossing to get 2 reps, I'm rather surprised. I'll let the absence of the tanuki slide... this time.

F-Zero - F-Zero rounds out the end of this section simply because, in my opinion, it borders crossing into the next category. It is the only series of the original twelve that only has one representative (we'll get to you, Yoshi). F-Zero has the grounds for an echo fighter, but it doesn't seem likely. Part of F-Zero's problem for a unique character, is that anything you give said rep would mostly be made up from nowhere. It's the best series to transition with.

Star Fox - I personally think Star Fox, for what it's worth, is treated rather well, but I won't deny that there are other characters that fans would like to see. Krystal, Slippy, Peppy, or even other members of Star Wolf are easy to point to, but the really adventurous could go with Andross or General Pepper. However, any character you go with would likely end up similar to Fox/Falco/Wolf, mainly due to the same issues F-Zero faces.

Donkey Kong - Getting King K. Rool is a massive achievement, and I think DK has gotten quite a bit of attention this time around... but I'm not gonna pretend that Dixie hasn't been shafted for a long time now. Considering her almost making Brawl, then basically disappearing from developers minds, I think she's long overdue. Even disregarding her, other Kong members are always an option, like Funky or Cranky.

Kid Icarus - This series... baffles me. Some say it has too little, others say too much. I think the issue stems from Smash 4 giving it too much too fast. It certainly calmed down with Ultimate, and I acknowledge there worthy characters, like Viridi, Hades, or Medusa, in the wings. Feel free to put this one higher or lower depending on your views.

Xenoblade - This series certainly needs something. Elma, Rex/Pyra, something more than just Shulk. However, I am most definitely not the person to make the assessment. I've never played Xenoblade, so.. next.

Pikmin - I'm gonna leave Pikmin with one simple question and move on. Why on PNF-404 is Alph not an echo?

Mother - Mother's been getting attention as of late. Whether because for some baffling reason, the rest of the world still doesn't have Mother 3, or because Porky is MIA this time around, fans are anxious to see it get something more. Me? I'd personally like to see Ness get an echo with Ninten, but honestly, Mother has no plans for the future as a series, so it's likely it'll stay stagnant where it is.

Fire Emblem - In our final category, why not start out with the series that really boils Smash fans' blood. Fire Emblem is in a bizarre state where it somehow has too many fighters... and not enough fighters. Yeah, for a series with 3 different primary weapon types, Smash appropriately represents, an impressive, staggering... 1 type. And the kicker? They're represented this one, yes, one weapon, seven times. That's one time for each Koopaling! Characters like Robin, who don't even need to realistically rep that weapon, do it anyways alongside their main offense, magic. Congratulations FE, I'm looking forward to the future installments where you remove axes and lances and only have swords, what a weapon triangle that would be.

Kirby - Like DK and Xenoblade, Kirby is in the camp of missing an obvious fighter that should be in. So why isn't it placed near those series? Well, that's a complicated issue that... OK, I'm not gonna joke around. This is the Bandana Dee board. We all know what the issue is. Kirby in Smash is afraid to represent any games after Air Ride. Kirby is the one series in Smash where the representation doesn't just fall on characters. It's bewildering. And even if we count out our preferred Waddle Dee, fans have suggested other characters, like Marx, Adeleine, Magolor... to be frank, the list kind of goes on.

Zelda - This series is represented well with stages and items, but the character choice is insulting. We have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas, and 1 Ganon(dorf). Come on, the Zelda series deserves better than that. Impa is a reoccurring character that'd fit rather well. Skull Kid has quite the fan base that'd be happy to see him in. Tingle even has his own spin-off games, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him playable, and I'm from the west, and we all know how most of the west feels about Tingle. Case point, there are so many other characters that could be in the game.

Pokémon - Oh boy, now we get into the really problematic series. First off, there is no way every type could ever be portrayed in this game. It's just not feasible. Second, many feel that this series has way to many reps. And to top that off, there are still characters that fans would like to see. Pokémon is in a state where it's darned if it does, and darned if it doesn't. There's really no way this series could win. Sure, Meowth, Eevee, Decidueye... feel free to insert whatever Pokémon you want here, would be good picks, but any recent pick could end up dated later. Look at Jigglypuff, several feel it's become a dated pick, and I reluctantly have to agree. And that's coming from someone whose main and favorite Pokémon is Jigglypuff. I personally see the same thing happening for Incineroar. I think it's best course of action, for one, is to simply stop reserving spots for the series.

Mario - So what's worse than having too many characters and being in a no win situation? Having too many characters and being in a situation where the picks you add could still be liked. Yeah, Mario, in my opinion, has the most problems repping in Smash. For all intents and purposes, I'm throwing Yoshi and Wario in here too (until I see Kamek/Baby Mario for Yoshi, or Ashley, Mona, heck, even Captain Syrup for Wario, they count as Mario reps to me). I say Mario has a win scenario because you see all the time, characters like Geno, Waluigi, Toad/Captain Toad have the demand, but in the most recent event, all three were passed up by Piranha Plant. Not Petey Piranha, or Naval Piranha (which, to be fair, could also have been a cool FS for plant), but a common Piranha Plant. It'd have been one thing if those characters were already in, and the devs wanted to embrace the plant idea after, but Mario all stars are still sitting in the wings with this plant on the character select board. What's worse, Piranha Plant has opened a can or worms that I'm not sure can be closed. What's to stop Goomba from joining before those three? Or Cheep Cheep? Or Beanie from Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga (if we do get a M&L rep, let it be Fawful)? And not to mention, Pauline's been gaining a following after Odyssey. Mario has a very similar issue to Pokémon, only while Mario has a lot of characters that are demanded, at least it doesn't have a juggernaut list of over 800 characters to choose from, well, realistically anyways...

If you decided to read through that, please feel free to tell me what you think. Sorry if I offended some with some of the complaints I made in it, I tried my best to keep it neutral, though some of the last few series' might have made it a bit more difficult. Anyways, I only brought up that list because I was noticing that Bandana Dee and the Kirby series weren't the only ones with issues. I suppose Smash has a bit of trouble with every series when it comes to proper representation.
That honestly could (and should) be it's own thread, if it doesn't already exist. (Does it already exist?) Still, I have some words about it.

Splatoon: Comparing Splatoon and other 3rd party franchises, (mainly Castlevania), I notices Splatoon's treated like it's a 3rd party. All it's got is a Fighter, a Stage, and an AT. Barring FF because of copyright, that's less than or equal to all of the 3rd party franchises. While that would make sense for a smaller franchise like Wii Fit or Punch-Out!!, Splatoon did a lot more in less time. It deserves 2nd stage (preferably an Octo Expansion one) and a 2nd rep, and I'd even argue for a 3rd, but Spirits deconfirmed all of the good picks. Although I do understand Splatoon's so new for it to only have 1 rep now, but I still think it should have gotten something for DLC.

Animal Crossing: Could use a rep, but as you said, there's no one on that level.

Star Fox: Star Fox hasn't done much in the past few years, with nothing more than a mediocre game and a couple minor appearances, none of which leaving much to the imagination. I feel like adding another Star Fox rep would be adding it just for the heck of it.

DK: It does deserve another rep for it's recent performance, and Dixie is a pass in my book (as long as she doesn't hurt Shantae's chances cuz she's tied w/ Bandana Dee for my most wanted), due to her prominent role recently, and was the protagonist of DKC3.

KI: It felt out of hand in SSB4, with half the enemies and a boatload of mechanics, but it feels a lot more in check for Ultimate. Bring back the Magnus AT and maybe aPalutena echo like Viridi or Medusa if demand's high enough.

Xenoblade: All I'm gonna say is this: Sakurai! Why did you deconfirm Rex and not save him for DLC!? He could have been the safe pick for all of the guys who wanted Nintendo characters and not a bunch of 3rd parties they never asked for! There was no good reason to deconfirm him! At All!

Pikmin: Alph. Remove Purples and Whites. Add Rocks. Replace Dolphin with Drake. Next.

FE: No more fighters. It'd get a new rep for Heroes if it wasn't so oversaturated. Speaking of Heroes, I have an idea: in heroes, there's a Gun-like weapon called the Breidablik that is used to summon FE characters. This could be used as an FE version of a Poke-Ball/AT. This allows FE to be better represented with characters without damaging the roster.

Kirby: Blah blah blah Bandana Dee. Blah Blah Blah less likely than Shrek and Goku. Blah blah blah stages, assist trophies, etc. We know the deal.

Pokemon: It's one of the top 2 most popular game franchises EVER (the other being Mario), so I'd give it a pass. It should be more careful with it's character choices tho and shouldn't just reserve a rep for the heck of it. Maybe someone who's either highly requested like what Decidueye would've been, or someone who can reasonably represent EVERY generation like Team Rocket (using all gens of their mons). No more shoehorned reps and ABSOLUTELY NO fighters just for the sake of Repping Kanto and nothing else (I'm looking at you, Eevee!).

Zelda: Needs a new rep. Either Impa because she's recurring (either HW or SS if getting HW's a problem). Even if she's an echo, it's throwing Zelda a much-needed bone. Like you said, it has no problems outside of that.

Mario: Again, it's the biggest Video Game franchise ever, so it's reps are warranted. But like Pokemon, it needs to be more careful with it's choices. Plant is a good joke fighter, but we are so close to completing the main cast! All we need is Toad and Waluigi (and maybe Pauline, if she gets back up to that level). After that, we can do side characters like Paper Mario and Geno for the fans.

I don't have words for all of them, but I think I got all the Nintendo ones that are worth noting.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

interesting to read your thoughts on each franchise

think ill do my own in a bit

FancySmash

Smash Lord
That honestly could (and should) be it's own thread, if it doesn't already exist. (Does it already exist?) Still, I have some words about it.

Splatoon: Comparing Splatoon and other 3rd party franchises, (mainly Castlevania), I notices Splatoon's treated like it's a 3rd party. All it's got is a Fighter, a Stage, and an AT. Barring FF because of copyright, that's less than or equal to all of the 3rd party franchises. While that would make sense for a smaller franchise like Wii Fit or Punch-Out!!, Splatoon did a lot more in less time. It deserves 2nd stage (preferably an Octo Expansion one) and a 2nd rep, and I'd even argue for a 3rd, but Spirits deconfirmed all of the good picks. Although I do understand Splatoon's so new for it to only have 1 rep now, but I still think it should have gotten something for DLC.

Animal Crossing: Could use a rep, but as you said, there's no one on that level.

Star Fox: Star Fox hasn't done much in the past few years, with nothing more than a mediocre game and a couple minor appearances, none of which leaving much to the imagination. I feel like adding another Star Fox rep would be adding it just for the heck of it.

DK: It does deserve another rep for it's recent performance, and Dixie is a pass in my book (as long as she doesn't hurt Shantae's chances cuz she's tied w/ Bandana Dee for my most wanted), due to her prominent role recently, and was the protagonist of DKC3.

KI: It felt out of hand in SSB4, with half the enemies and a boatload of mechanics, but it feels a lot more in check for Ultimate. Bring back the Magnus AT and maybe aPalutena echo like Viridi or Medusa if demand's high enough.

Xenoblade: All I'm gonna say is this: Sakurai! Why did you deconfirm Rex and not save him for DLC!? He could have been the safe pick for all of the guys who wanted Nintendo characters and not a bunch of 3rd parties they never asked for! There was no good reason to deconfirm him! At All!

Pikmin: Alph. Remove Purples and Whites. Add Rocks. Replace Dolphin with Drake. Next.

FE: No more fighters. It'd get a new rep for Heroes if it wasn't so oversaturated. Speaking of Heroes, I have an idea: in heroes, there's a Gun-like weapon called the Breidablik that is used to summon FE characters. This could be used as an FE version of a Poke-Ball/AT. This allows FE to be better represented with characters without damaging the roster.

Kirby: Blah blah blah Bandana Dee. Blah Blah Blah less likely than Shrek and Goku. Blah blah blah stages, assist trophies, etc. We know the deal.

Pokemon: It's one of the top 2 most popular game franchises EVER (the other being Mario), so I'd give it a pass. It should be more careful with it's character choices tho and shouldn't just reserve a rep for the heck of it. Maybe someone who's either highly requested like what Decidueye would've been, or someone who can reasonably represent EVERY generation like Team Rocket (using all gens of their mons). No more shoehorned reps and ABSOLUTELY NO fighters just for the sake of Repping Kanto and nothing else (I'm looking at you, Eevee!).

Zelda: Needs a new rep. Either Impa because she's recurring (either HW or SS if getting HW's a problem). Even if she's an echo, it's throwing Zelda a much-needed bone. Like you said, it has no problems outside of that.

Mario: Again, it's the biggest Video Game franchise ever, so it's reps are warranted. But like Pokemon, it needs to be more careful with it's choices. Plant is a good joke fighter, but we are so close to completing the main cast! All we need is Toad and Waluigi (and maybe Pauline, if she gets back up to that level). After that, we can do side characters like Paper Mario and Geno for the fans.

I don't have words for all of them, but I think I got all the Nintendo ones that are worth noting.
Oh, that's a rather important detail I missed for Mario and Pokemon, how popular and lucrative both are for Nintendo. I realize now that their amount of characters makes sense in hindsight, but I absolutely agree they need to be more careful about their choices.

interesting to read your thoughts on each franchise

think ill do my own in a bit
Cool! I'd be interested in seeing it when it's ready. :)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ok heres some of my musing on how each franchise is handled

first of all id like point out despite any criticism i do greatly appreciate the great amount of work and effort he puts into his game and even though it does bother me i do not hold his bias against him as im sure id be doing the same in his position, though the fan complaints would be different

anyway
Mario: now for the most part this one has been done very well, being the most successful video game franchise in history and as nintendo's flagship series it makes sense that it has so many characters. however the character selection could be better as some of the major faces of the franchise have been left out in favour of much lesser characters, dr mario was originally included as roster padding and id not a great representative of the franchise as a whole. piranha plant isnt even the most famous basic enemy and the excuses as to why it was included could have applied to a number of other characters without any real reason as to why pp making him seem a bit random, bowser jr makes sense but sticking him the the clown car didnt since smash 4 hes hardly been out of it but before hand he wasnt in it that often and as his moveset is based mostly on the car it feels like a thinly veiled excuse to have the koopalings, who have just devolved into boss filler. so while mario's major prescience in the series is justified but several of the characters dont feel justified, toad a major face of the series and waluigi a go to guy for most multiplayer games have been left out in favour of character that dont make as much sense. i hate daisy but at least shes a go to playable character as well so she makes a bit more sense than doc

pokemon: second most successful video game series in history so its major presence is well deserved. now referring to what fancy smash mentioned about never being able to have every type represented i agree its unlikely that will ever happen, though at present we have 10 pokemon so we could have easily had them all. now what fancy said about some of them feeling dated i have to disagree for the most part the pokemon who are included still have a very large presence in the franchise so they still feel like theyre justified albeit pandering to gen oners. for the most part each pokemon included are very popular among the fandom. jigglypuff may not have as much popularity as others but her presence in the franchise is still strong, with her coming back in the anime and as part of the original 12 its hard to believe shes going anywhere. though even after 20 years her inclusion in a fighting game is endlessly amusing to me. greninja became vastly popular after his appearance in smash and was chosen due to him having good body for fighting, which when considering piranha plant does make it seem like sakurai's being unadventurous with pokemon. incineroar doesnt feel right and i dont mean cause hes the least popular of the gen 7 starters but because he feels like an inaccurate portrayal. he feels like there was too much focus on the wrestling aspect that they passed over most of his things, he doesnt move about on all fours and he doesnt shoot fire from his belt. really it feels like he wanted a wrestler character and for some reason none of nintendo's other wrestler characters would do. so overall the choices feel reasonable as itd be very difficult to get fair representation, so i think they should stick with pokemon who prove very popular and shouldnt turn pokemon into stock types for character tropes

Legend of zelda: i see it as a mixed bag, stage wise and item wise its done very well, but music wise it feels like they focus to much on certain soundtracks while ignoring some great ones, and despite the large number of characters they are our numbered by a series that has done less well. even then had they not decided to bring back every veteran i doubt wed have young link and if they hadnt decided to separate zelda and shiek some would argue they still count as one so the large number of characters feels less deliberate than with everyone else. now where as i can see how it makes some sense to focus on the main three, its not entirely fair as Mario had plenty from outside what might be called its core group. there are a lot of other recurring characters. impa has been a major character in many games and has been shown to be quite a fighter (though if they can her older elf work id be all for that) epona is a largely recurring character as well but shes far from anyones natural pick for a new character though she does have the presence. tingle and beedle appear a lot as well but usually as minor characters, tingle is usually plot important no matter how small his appearance and of course has had several spin offs so its hard to think why not. zelda also has a lot of very popular characters who arent recurring but would bring something unique to smash. over all it feels like wasted potential

kirby: well who here doesnt feel like its a bit unfairly treated. now i understand sakurai wanting to focus on his games but as a kirby fan it doesnt feel right. kirby has had so many games it doesnt feel right that a most of the stages come from only the early ones. so i see this as an odd one, im not sure its fair to want sakurai to change how he treats his brain child but at the same time its not fair to the fans. the three characters weve got were at one point the signature trio but theyve grown to had a fourth and even then the series is big enough and popular enough to warrant more characters. Like Zelda its wasted potential.

Donkey kong: i think its doing ok but it is popular enough to have more. King k.rool’s inclusion feels like a massive achievement for the fans. Although we do have a ridiculous number of remixes of the jungle theme. The way i see it theres no reason not to have more, Dixie has the popularity and the presence, semi clone echo or unique theres plenty she could do. Cranky i feel also has the presence if not the popularity.

Yoshi: well hes on his own and that just doenst seem right. From what i know the games are popular enough to have more characters as there are less popular with more. While i can understand picking characters for this one may be a bit tough with a lot of the characters are just variations of characters from the main Mario series. However after piranha plant i feel as though there aren’t really any excuses, true having a baby character may seem a little odd but theres no reason why you cant have kamek, shy guy or one of the bosses. Yoshi should have someone to keep him company.

Metroid: well im not sure on this one. Its popular enough to warrant characters and the fans truly achieved something finally getting ridley in. Zero may not be used that often and dark samus may only have had few appearances but the number of times a character appears shouldn’t really matter. I think this time around was a huge boost for metroid, though after pp i do think we should have an actual metroid as a fighter.

Star fox: again im not sure on this one. It feels like the series is in a bit of an odd place at the moment. It could probably do with a more unique character, krystal is popular. I dunno it could probably do with a bit of rework. And for goodness sake change the andross assist trophy im so bored of its retro look.

f-zero: well it has a wonderful cast of characters brimming with potential. it was usually getting passed over even before the franchise went dormant, so now it feels like its got nae chance. It may not be as popular and has been dormant since the game cube days i don’t think itd hurt to get another character. Though maybe getting a new game should be its top priority.

Mother: well lets face its a bit of a niche series so it not having a lot of characters is unsurprising. And the man in charge said the series is done and its not not carrying on without him like with sakurai and Kirby so theres not much chance of it getting new life. Unless theres a remake. Theres a lot of untapped potential in this one as well, but with it not being as popular and the fact that the series is over means its probably gonna stay the way it is.

Animal crossing: it is a hugely popular franchise so its well deserving of multiple characters. Villager and isabelle earned their spots. Yet due to the relatively peaceful nature of the game i can understand it not having a lot. Though there are still plenty of things to use and alternate ways to use the things that are in use. So either way it makes sense and as the series continues there’ll be more stuff to work with lets not count out tom yet.

Fire emblem: ok i think this one needs an overhaul. Its has the third highest number of characters even though its less popular than Zelda, Kirby, metroid, donkey kong, yoshi and animal crossing. Four of the characters are based around the same moveset which only contributes to the poor represented. I mean for goodness sake you mock chrom for being an ike clone and then hes a fourth marth? True all of them are major character from each game, but if robin porves it doesn’t need to be the main character we could do with a bit more variety. Now another problem i have is that some of the characters are so bland, i mean how is someone with corrin’s back story and powers so bland? How? So i say give roy robin lucina and corrin the boot and bring in tiki, lisa and ike’s wee sister mist.

Pikmin: ok its defiantly up there so theres no reason you cant have more characters. Lets face it we’d have a second one if sakurai didn’t feel the need to toot his own horn. Even if you think all five of the other characters only make sense as echoes after pp theres no reason we couldn’t have a bulborb which i think is plenty iconic to the series.

Wario: err i dunno i guess its got the demand and is successful enough. Though im not keen on it getting another character. I really don’t get what everyone sees in Ashley. I suppose theres no reason it shouldn’t have another character.

Kid iccarus: come one its a bit ridiculous. Uprising may have done well for itself but he was pushing his luck a bit with paluntina and pittoo was the most painful case of tooting his own horn in all five games. He wouldn’t be there in most other circumstances. Her gave it a lot of items and smash run enemies but if anyone else had made uprising wed probably only have pit. Demand for the characters is pretty low so its all here cause he made uprising plain and simple.

R.o.b.: wouldn’t hurt to give him a stage

Punch out: don’t know enough to fairly comment

Splatoon: well it is new so it makes sense theres not a lot. I think the games were popular enough and the series will continue so im sure we’ll get more stuff in the future.

Xenoblade: its not as successful as some of the others but that probably cause its only got three games. Mind you i think spaltoon has done better. Its popular enough to have more characters and monolith said they have plans for the future so im sure we’ll get someone else down the line.

Wii fit: well its a hugely successful trilogy but it doesn’t really need anything

Miis: while they may not represent their own games i think that as what they do in each game changes the way they are makes perfect sense.

Third party: its interesting how its changed, back in brawl sonic and metal gear were equal for the most part. But now thats no longer the case. at first we got the 3rd parties that were the most popular but now it feels like whatever sakurai feels like i mean for joker and sarah palin were very small. It doesn’t seem right that the two most popular series, sonic and megaman, were not the first to get more characters. I believe sakurai said that smash has evolved to not just be about Nintendo so the 3rd party presence will only grow. Which means all the lesser known Nintendo franchises are doomed. Good bye chibi.

Overall sakurai will happily meet fan requests as ridley and k.rook prove (though it took the ballot) but it only goes so far as Isaac proves.

blimey i had more to say than i realised

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I am still confident in BDee as the finale for the Fighters Pass, but the more chances the better.
BTW My call for fighters pass:
Joker
Geno or Sora or Black Mage
Ryu Hayubusa
Banjo-Kazooie
Bandana Waddle Dee

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I doubt it. First, I think we should assume the worst, so the worst won't be as bad. And second, It's very possible that the 2nd and 3rd fighter pass could just be more 3rd parties few people if anyone asked for.

1-1 Joker
1-2 Erdrick
1-3 Steve
1-4 Ryu Hayabusa
1-5 Doomguy
2-1 Gordon Freeman
2-2 Jibanyan
2-3 Kratos
2-4 Astral Chain Rep Bubsy (Because apparently Astral Chain is Nintendo)
2-5 Sans
3-1 Capcom Rep
3-2 Konami Rep
3-3 Namco Rep
3-4 Granblue Rep
3-5 Scorpion

And any of those can be interchanged with any other 3rd party that isn't already in Smash in some form, so there's definitely no shortage of 3rd party characters Sakurai could choose for DLC. Even if we do get a Nintendo character, we would have to get through all the promotional characters, all of the characters who aren't spirits, all of the characters who are spirits, and Sakurai's own bias. So I wouldn't consider this a beacon of hope just yet.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I doubt it. First, I think we should assume the worst, so the worst won't be as bad. And second, It's very possible that the 2nd and 3rd fighter pass could just be more 3rd parties few people if anyone asked for.

1-1 Joker
1-2 Erdrick
1-3 Steve
1-4 Ryu Hayabusa
1-5 Doomguy
2-1 Gordon Freeman
2-2 Jibanyan
2-3 Kratos
2-4 Astral Chain Rep
2-5 Sans
3-1 Capcom Rep
3-2 Konami Rep
3-3 Namco Rep
3-4 Granblue Rep
3-5 Scorpion

And any of those can be interchanged with any other 3rd party that isn't already in Smash in some form, so there's definitely no shortage of 3rd party characters Sakurai could choose for DLC. Even if we do get a Nintendo character, we would have to get through all the promotional characters, all of the characters who aren't spirits, all of the characters who are spirits, and Sakurai's own bias. So I wouldn't consider this a beacon of hope just yet.
is astral chain third party? or do nitendo own part of the copy right like with the wonderful 101? i should check

edit: no owned by nintendo and platinum, not third party

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

1-1 Joker
1-2 Erdrick
1-3 Steve
1-4 Ryu Hayabusa
1-5 Doomguy
2-1 Gordon Freeman
2-2 Jibanyan
2-3 Kratos
2-4 Astral Chain Rep
2-5 Sans
3-1 Capcom Rep
3-2 Konami Rep
3-3 Namco Rep
3-4 Granblue Rep
3-5 Scorpion

Fun fact: I'm one of those people who want 2-2. :)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We don't know for sure what the rest of the first DLC pass is going to be (unless I missed out on something important).

Remember that so far any and all information from Nintendo that we have that is guiding our DLC predictions only applies to the first DLC wave. If a second one is announced they could say something like "It's all first parties this time!" and characters like Bandana Boi, Isaac, and Toad will have a great shot at being put in.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
is astral chain third party? or do nitendo own part of the copy right like with the wonderful 101? i should check

edit: no owned by nintendo and platinum, not third party
Ok then replace it with Uhh.... Bubsy... Regardless, you could replace any of them with any 3rd party that isn't already in the game to get the point that they could still go all 3rd party for 3 fighter passes.

Really? Maybe my memory of smash 4 speculation is foggy, ha.
Yeah. Hopefully this tweet can clarify a bit:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Ok then replace it with Uhh.... Bubsy... Regardless, you could replace any of them with any 3rd party that isn't already in the game to get the point that they could still go all 3rd party for 3 fighter passes.

Yeah. Hopefully this tweet can clarify a bit:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Oh yeah! I totally forgot that those extra slots were essentially not even slots at all. Uhh...didn't brawl have that too, with placeholder slots holding Mario files in them or something? Might just be thinking of Brawl's modding scene as well...oops.

Top Bottom