• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
PP really shouldn't be playable IMO, but I do think its moveset is one of the more interesting ones. If there wasn't a tight space for newcomers, a character like PP would be more excusable.

StormC

Smash Hero
I said this in the Dixie thread, but I feel like Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Toad are all in a similar spot: they aren't the protagonist or secondary lead of their franchises, they aren't the main villain, and they aren't a side character who Sakurai sees as having potential for a really cool moveset, so they fly under Sakurai's radar despite having impressive resumes in their own right. Not to mention Bandana Dee has to contend with Sakurai's focus on Super Star-era content, leaving us with a real conundrum. With Joker and Reggie's statement, I'm personally not expecting first party DLC and I'm definitely not expecting a second wave. So what does this mean for the future of Bandana Dee?

Going into the next Smash, I think Dee is going to be the most heavily speculated character, sort of like Ridley was for Smash 4. He's a popular character that's part of a classic Nintendo series and the more HAL uses him, the more his popularity will grow. Now with Piranha Plant, I think people who were on the fence about Dee are going to be drawn to him because the taboo against "generic" enemy species is now broken. Kirby not getting a new character since Brawl will definitely light the fire under a lot of fans, since unlike some other series, Kirby has quite a few options for that, but Dee the most obvious.

Dixie and Bandana Dee are basically my last (realistic) Nintendo character requests left. I really wished it could have worked out, and maybe it still will... but Dee will still be a strong contender as long as he is kept in the hearts of fans and he maintains his presence in the Kirby series. He's a real underdog and I hope that someday he'll get his chance to be cemented as a Nintendo All-Star. You guys deserve better.

I found this fanart on Google and one day, I hope we get to play it out for real:

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I said this in the Dixie thread, but I feel like Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Toad are all in a similar spot: they aren't the protagonist or secondary lead of their franchises, they aren't the main villain, and they aren't a side character who Sakurai sees as having potential for a really cool moveset, so they fly under Sakurai's radar despite having impressive resumes in their own right. Not to mention Bandana Dee has to contend with Sakurai's focus on Super Star-era content, leaving us with a real conundrum. With Joker and Reggie's statement, I'm personally not expecting first party DLC and I'm definitely not expecting a second wave. So what does this mean for the future of Bandana Dee?

Going into the next Smash, I think Dee is going to be the most heavily speculated character, sort of like Ridley was for Smash 4. He's a popular character that's part of a classic Nintendo series and the more HAL uses him, the more his popularity will grow. Now with Piranha Plant, I think people who were on the fence about Dee are going to be drawn to him because the taboo against "generic" enemy species is now broken. Kirby not getting a new character since Brawl will definitely light the fire under a lot of fans, since unlike some other series, Kirby has quite a few options for that, but Dee the most obvious.

Dixie and Bandana Dee are basically my last (realistic) Nintendo character requests left. I really wished it could have worked out, and maybe it still will... but Dee will still be a strong contender as long as he is kept in the hearts of fans and he maintains his presence in the Kirby series. He's a real underdog and I hope that someday he'll get his chance to be cemented as a Nintendo All-Star. You guys deserve better.

I found this fanart on Google and one day, I hope we get to play it out for real:

On the day we get decent Kirby content from the post-Sakurai era, we can begin to speculate Dee. Magolor, etc. with more power. Until then....

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Uh, guys? I got some bad news...

You know the Waddle Dee spirit? It apparently evolves into... B.W.D. Wow, I'm feeling REALLY conflicted over this...

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424

You know the Waddle Dee spirit? It apparently evolves into... B.W.D. Wow, I'm feeling REALLY conflicted over this...
If you think about, that's what actually happened though. Bandana Waddle Dee was a nobody at first who "evolved" into something great.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The way I see it, Spirits confirm a character's viability for DLC about as much as trophies or stickers would - not at all. If he was an assist trophy, or a DLC Mii costume, then that would be a concern, but I'd like to think that the DLC would be a mix of ridiculous surprises and popular choices, and Bandanna Dee definitely seems to be popular (particularly in Japan - I think that, from Source Gaming's poll/research, he's the highest-ranked character that isn't in the game in some form).

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

I really hope that all three of them (Toad, Dixie, and Bandana Dee) join the battle someday. Although, I'm doubtful towards such inclusions as DLC, given that we now know what Sakurai/Nintendo are aiming for with the general scope of fighters, being "Unexpected", "Unique" and practically everything in between, using Joker as the primary example. I still have at least a glimmer of hope glistening for at least one of the three to join, but I have a feeling that we might have to wait till' the next entry in the series for them to have a chance, unfortunately.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The way I see it, Spirits confirm a character's viability for DLC about as much as trophies or stickers would - not at all. If he was an assist trophy, or a DLC Mii costume, then that would be a concern, but I'd like to think that the DLC would be a mix of ridiculous surprises and popular choices, and Bandanna Dee definitely seems to be popular (particularly in Japan - I think that, from Source Gaming's poll/research, he's the highest-ranked character that isn't in the game in some form).
I'd be surprised if we didn't get 1-2 fighters as DLC/newcomers in Smash 6 who aren't currently spirits.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd be surprised if we didn't get 1-2 fighters as DLC/newcomers in Smash 6 who aren't currently spirits.
Yeah. I figure that they'll sneak in some first parties during the Nintendo Directs, since it would make sense to show off those there. Like I once said in another support thread, don't show your opponents your hand from the start, it's counterintuitive.

It still gets me that Sakurai didn't even put Paint Roller in the base game at all, yet Elline is the designated paint-based character.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
except they already said that Spirits are there to get characters in who wouldn't otherwise be in. I want BWD as much as you guys but you really need to adjust your expectations. For now until we get some sort of confirmation it is best to assume Spirits deconfirm because thats the only evidence we have with PP not having a spirit and being in as DLC.

If they do a second wave or we're talking about Smash 6 yeah I'm sure he has a shot but his chance for this first wave of DLC is probably in the low 10% range.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
except they already said that Spirits are there to get characters in who wouldn't otherwise be in. I want BWD as much as you guys but you really need to adjust your expectations. For now until we get some sort of confirmation it is best to assume Spirits deconfirm because thats the only evidence we have with PP not having a spirit and being in as DLC.

If they do a second wave or we're talking about Smash 6 yeah I'm sure he has a shot but his chance for this first wave of DLC is probably in the low 10% range.
I think at this point it's safe to day a wave 2 can't be out of consideration, but right now I think Dee has a higher chance of being in the base game of Smash 6. So do Elma and Edelgard, etc.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think at this point it's safe to day a wave 2 can't be out of consideration, but right now I think Dee has a higher chance of being in the base game of Smash 6. So do Elma and Edelgard, etc.
Yeah I'm personally not getting my hopes up for a wave 2 since they haven't said anything about doing it and the only reason people seem to think one is happening is "because Nintendo would be stupid not to" lol which doesn't mean anything.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah I'm personally not getting my hopes up for a wave 2 since they haven't said anything about doing it and the only reason people seem to think one is happening is "because Nintendo would be stupid not to" lol which doesn't mean anything.
Whilst I don't expect a wave 2 to happen, I don't think it's impossible. But I'm not banking on it. We should begin Smash 6 Dee speculation. You know, directing our own trailers, moveset ideas, would Dee be a newcomer alongside anyone else? Instead of hoping for DeeLC, we sould also be looking to the late future.

Smash 6 speculation: 25-40 fighters. Each series has no more than 4 fighters.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: Impa
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: (Any 2 other Pokemon)
:ultness:
:ultmarth::ultrobin:(FE newcomer)
:ultpit:
:ultwario:
:ultvillager: and maybe :ultisabelle:
:ultwiifittrainer:
:ultinkling:
:ultmiifighters:
Sum third parties.

I also made some newcomer splash ideas for Kirby characters. Some of them were made by other people:
Bandana Waddle Dee makes a legend!
Magolor hunts for victory!
Marx steals the show!
Adeline (and Ribbon?) show(s) her(their) colors!
Daroach sneaks in!
Susie gets sassy!
Taranza spins your doom!
QUeen Sectonia brings the royalty!

I couldn't come up with any for Gooey, Dark Meta Knight, Rick, Kine, and Coo, Galacta Kight, or Prince Fluff sadly.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
We talking smash 6? Cause personally I think Smash 6 will just be a port; maybe with a new story if they are feeling creative. The only cut's will be any Third Parties who wouldn't play ball. This Smash 6 will have it's own years of DLC support. I'd be fine with that.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We talking smash 6? Cause personally I think Smash 6 will just be a port; maybe with a new story if they are feeling creative. The only cut's will be any Third Parties who wouldn't play ball. This Smash 6 will have it's own years of DLC support. I'd be fine with that.
I hope the only fighters that get cut are clones, Fire Emblem characters, useless pokemon and third parties.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I hope the only fighters that get cut are clones, Fire Emblem characters, useless pokemon and third parties.
Echoes being well-received, and having all the assets to make Dark Pit if they made Pit, will make a couple of those hard.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Smash 6 speculation: 25-40 fighters. Each series has no more than 4 fighters.
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: Impa [I am really not sold on Impa, shes an old lady more than a young ninja which is only two games]
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: Bandana Waddle Dee
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:[I don't know if I think Star Fox needs three reps unless they do something to really make them more different than they are]
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff: (Any 2 other Pokemon) [I really don't think if they decide to relaunch the series and make cuts Jigglypuff should come back]
:ultness:
:ultmarth::ultrobin:(FE newcomer) [I would put Ike back in here]
:ultpit:
:ultwario:
:ultvillager: and maybe :ultisabelle:[I think it should be one or the other, and I like Isabelle more personally]
:ultwiifittrainer:[of all the one off retro/wtf picks I think WFT would be about my least wanted to return. Should be Duck Hunt if you're looking for gaming icons or Ice Climbers for unique moveset]
:ultinkling:
:ultmiifighters:
[I would probably keep Olimar and maybe Little Mac as fighters with unique movesets]
[I would put Sonic and Mega Man in at least for 3rd parties.]
Changes above in bold.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
A decent amount of people don't really like that there's a starter pokemon per game.
i suppose givin the the timing of each games development sakurai doesnt have the chance to see who the most popular is and thinks a starter is one people would be happy with

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm only holding on to Puff since she seems to have that "Original 12" immunity. They were going to remove her in Melee and Brawl, but they didn't. I'm not sold on Impa either, but I bet they'll have a fourth Zeda fighter who isn't a Link regardless. I was unsure about Ike since I doubt FE will have more than 3 fighters, unless there's no FE newcomer. I also personally lean toward Isabelle more than Villager. I kept WFT because she's the only joke fighter that both tangibly exists and doesn't borrow moves from other games. Olimar and Mac, maybe? And I just said "thrid parties" since they could be anyone.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I'm only holding on to Puff since she seems to have that "Original 12" immunity. They were going to remove her in Melee and Brawl, but they didn't. I'm not sold on Impa either, but I bet they'll have a fourth Zeda fighter who isn't a Link regardless. I was unsure about Ike since I doubt FE will have more than 3 fighters, unless there's no FE newcomer. I also personally lean toward Isabelle more than Villager. I kept WFT because she's the only joke fighter that both tangibly exists and doesn't borrow moves from other games. Olimar and Mac, maybe? And I just said "thrid parties" since they could be anyone.
Yeah I was just saying which third parties I would think make the most sense.

And I get that they haven't removed her yet because of "original 12" whatever but as someone who is 100% not relevant anymore in a series that has tons of options from 7 generations of Pokemon games getting a second 1st gen rep who isn't really even popular any more seems like a waste.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah I was just saying which third parties I would think make the most sense.

And I get that they haven't removed her yet because of "original 12" whatever but as someone who is 100% not relevant anymore in a series that has tons of options from 7 generations of Pokemon games getting a second 1st gen rep who isn't really even popular any more seems like a waste.
I agree. The only gen 1 rep we should have is Pikachu. Everyone else should be from like gen 6 or above.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah as much as I love Pokemon Trainer and Mewtwo they really bloat the 1st gen.
It's really nice to see fighters like Greninja and Incineroar help rep the later gens. Although if Greninja seems a bit stale now, since with Ultimate we have 2 water type pokemon (and for that matter I would remove Pichu for the same reason, regardless of being a clone).

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
It's really nice to see fighters like Greninja and Incineroar help rep the later gens. Although if Greninja seems a bit stale now, since with Ultimate we have 2 water type pokemon (and for that matter I would remove Pichu for the same reason, regardless of being a clone).
Yeah I don't think Pichu should stick around unless he makes the transition to echo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Although if Greninja seems a bit stale now, since with Ultimate we have 2 water type pokemon
Typing=/=gameplay. Granted, most roster Thanoses don't care about gameplay.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Typing=/=gameplay. Granted, most roster Thanoses don't care about gameplay.
Yeah but we do have another Ninja in Sheik so its not like he's filling some missing role there either.

His nair (which I honestly prefer over Pikachu's), weight, and self-damage all make him too different. Sakurai admits it's cheating to call Ken an echo.
I agree he is currently different but he really doesn't need to be, he could easily be a Pikachu echo without really loosing his character identity.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
One thing I think we should all take into account is that there really aren't that many people who actually have a stigma against Dee. People against Dee's inclusion are more of a vocal minority if anything
His nair (which I honestly prefer over Pikachu's), weight, and self-damage all make him too different. Sakurai admits it's cheating to call Ken an echo.
Fair enough.
Yeah but we do have another Ninja in Sheik so its not like he's filling some missing role there either.

I agree he is currently different but he really doesn't need to be, he could easily be a Pikachu echo without really loosing his character identity.
Which is also probably the reason why we don't have Decidueye, who would just be another sneaky/swiftly fighting character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not to mention 5 different people with bows
Link, Yink, Tink, Pit and Dark ****. Although that's a lot, I wouldn't mind one more if it had some sort of creative twist. If Revali was ever added, maybe he could switch arrows from different arrow elements in BOTW for example.

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
It's a bit misleading to say '5 people with bows!' when they are all variants of only 2 people...

Incineroar is super-fun to play as, but I still would have been happier with my Ghost/Grass Archer Owl... Presumably Sakurai can make anything fun given enough time, so roster preference largely comes down to personal affection for a character.

Maybe whatever the Gen 8 Grass Starter is will be as cool as Decidueye...

Unless it wield a Grass-spear or something, in which case, it better not edge out Bandana Dee again. *sigh*

FancySmash

Smash Lord
It does kinda suck that Pokemon and Fire Emblem seem to have the problem of having the dated characters later on. Even with Jigglypuff as my favorite Pokemon, I have to admit, the most going for her as of late was Fairy typing... Though I personally see her having more stardom than say Incineroar, whether that be because she's been around longer or what be the reason.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It does kinda suck that Pokemon and Fire Emblem seem to have the problem of having the dated characters later on. Even with Jigglypuff as my favorite Pokemon, I have to admit, the most going for her as of late was Fairy typing... Though I personally see her having more stardom than say Incineroar, whether that be because she's been around longer or what be the reason.
People like to take a crap on Incineroar since he's not Shadow, Isaac, Geno or whatever. I'm going to name my Incineroar amiibo "Geno."

Top Bottom