• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Vsatt8-o4

Reggie's comments. "These are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5 - characters that you would not expect to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"

Welp.

Edit:
Reggie - "Everyone's in smash. So we've said that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the biggest crossover in gaming history, may I say the biggest crossover in entertaining. And so yes. So this gives the flavor as to how we're approaching DLC. These are going to be characters that are new to the series such as Joker from Persona 5, characters that you would not expect to be in Super Smash Bros Ultimate."

Reggie never said they're picking characters from unrepped series or all third party. It sounds like the characters will all be 'new to the series' as in new to Smash Bros and not veterans. It could also mean they might pick characters that are new or recent in their respective games. I think Reggie just worded it poorly.

Also, I never played Persona but I'm happy for the fans that they got their character in! I might play P5 myself, I heard very good things about it.
Agreed, happy for Persona 5 fans, though I'm indifferent. I know he didn't say existing series can't get new fighters, but the 'characters you would not expect' part leaves me worried. As well as 'the flavor as to how we're approaching DLC'.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Rather than be worried about the new to the series statement the bigger cause for concern is the "characters you's never expect" line as it sounds like they aren't going after who people requested

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
This is true, he never specifically stated they'd all be 3rd parties. But it's hard to not take that statement as anything but.

I don't know. Never say never, of course, but my pessimism shot way up tonight. Not that I even want to be pessimistic.
I'm also worried about Bandana Dee's chances, but I wanted to bring this up so others don't carry false information. I'm still on the 'wait and see' side of things since I heard all of the leakers, especially Verg, were wrong (haven't followed on their leaks for a while). I think it's safe to say that none of us will know what we'll get for DLC until it's announced. Just trying to stay hopeful here, hopefully it'll pay off...

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
To be frank, I don't think the average Smash buyer is expecting Bandana Waddle Dee to join, atleast I hope they don't...

I'm kinda grasping at straws here but I'm still not giving up. I'll stick to Dee till the end of the ride

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Rather than be worried about the new to the series statement the bigger cause for concern is the "characters you's never expect" line as it sounds like they aren't going after who people requested
Pretty much this.

I think we can all unanimously say that Bandana Dee is a pipe dream that is less likely than Shrek and Goku. Seriously, I think Shrek and Goku ill get in before Bandana Dee has a chance and I'm 100% serious. I say we give up now and avoid disappointment later.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Pretty much this.

I think we can all unanimously say that Bandana Dee is a pipe dream that is less likely than Shrek and Goku. Seriously, I think Shrek and Goku ill get in before Bandana Dee has a chance and I'm 100% serious. I say we give up now and avoid disappointment later.
Uhm.... no! Speak for yourself! Unexpected characters don't automatically equal non-vidya characters. Sakurai isn't opening the floodgates. He deconfirmed Goku and any non videogame character on several occasions and I'm pretty sure nobody ever unironically voted for goddamn Shrek to begin with.

Dee's chances may be looking grimm but there's zero reason to believe we're getting meme characters over him. Stop being this pessimistic.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I honestly felt pleasantly surprised towards the announcement of Joker. I know that people like NintenZ will be VERY happy to see him join.
As for Bandana Dee, I wish his chances weren't so thinned out at this point. Since Joker is the very first character to be revealed, they might as well go even higher on the hype scale I'd assume. In my view, I highly doubt that Bandana Dee possesses the caliber of hype that characters like Joker have, which would probably be what Nintendo is looking for the most, and what Reggie hinted at during his little explanation for the Smash Bros. DLC. This kind of throws off the idea that Sakurai doesn't feed off of the surprise factor of characters as stated in one of his most recent interviews, since Joker is literally the opposite of anti-hype in a game like Smash Bros.

Nevertheless, this kinda feels like the end of the road for our Bandana Buddy but I guess the tiring wait to see all of the DLC characters continues.

(On a side note, for any of you Joker/Persona fans out there, I happy that you got such a cool character in Smash! :3)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Guys, stop giving up. I have good news.

The person who leaked Incineroar, Ken, their movesets, and more and got them all correct stated (now this was from someone else sou you may just want to look it up) that there may be a second DLC wave if the first one does well. The only reason the first DLC pack couldn't do well is if there's a serious amount of backlash from picking all third parties. Which means, it's possible he could be planned as a second DLC pack.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As far as I know what Reggie said is just buzzwords.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>fan rule: "only huge gaming icons can get in as third-party inclusions"
>my rebuttal:
a55.png

I'm so glad that nonsensical fan rule has finally been laid to rest. I imagine that most of the leaking scene is going into panic mode right now, tho.

The person who leaked Incineroar, Ken, their movesets, and more and got them all correct stated (now this was from someone else sou you may just want to look it up) that there may be a second DLC wave if the first one does well. The only reason the first DLC pack couldn't do well is if there's a serious amount of backlash from picking all third parties. Which means, it's possible he could be planned as a second DLC pack.
Yes, people shouldn't be forgetting this so readily. Besides, it's likely that Adeleine could wind up as an "unexpected" pick in this pass wave, so it's not like anyone said that everyone outside of Sakurai's babies are off limits.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
>fan rule: "only huge gaming icons can get in as third-party inclusions"
>my rebuttal:
View attachment 182069

I'm so glad that nonsensical fan rule has finally been laid to rest. I imagine that most of the leaking scene is going into panic mode right now, tho.

Yes, people shouldn't be forgetting this so readily. Besides, it's likely that Adeleine could wind up as an "unexpected" pick in this pass wave, so it's not like anyone said that everyone outside of Sakurai's babies are off limits.
Pretty sure Adeline was made during Sakurai's management of HAL, but no big deal. I just want to see the boycott of Kirby newcomers put to an end.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

well its a nice thought, hope it becomes a reality

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Even if were getting all third parties, giving up on Bandana Dee will only guarantee that he won't be in. Even if I'm the only one left, I will always continue to support Dee. #freethedee!

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Even if were getting all third parties, giving up on Bandana Dee will only guarantee that he won't be in. Even if I'm the only one left, I will always continue to support Dee. #freethedee!
Exactly, the only thing that giving up now would do is decrease Bandana Dee's chances for this and the next Smash games.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I mean, I'll definitely support him for the next Smash game, but it's not 100% worth hoping for him right now considering his chances in my view.
He'll get in someday, hopefully.

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
Well...Heihachi time, I guess. BWD will be remembered as left in Star Allies without his prize. Apparently Reggie said new to the series, which doesn't absolutely deconfirm BWD, but I'm not exactly hopeful anymore.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman

"...from games new to the series..."
Kirby isn't new to the series, so BWD, Magolor, Ado, etc are deconfirmed.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
Uhm... I recall Reggie saying the fighters will be new to the series, not necessarily the games they originate from.
Yeah, whoever typed that up got the wrong message from what Reggie was saying. In fact, it was said before that the DLC fighters would be completely new to Smash Bros, without a single one being an Echo Fighter.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Although it takes some time to unlock him, once you get to Dedede, it's worth it. I'm gonna say the B-word: He's broken.

Awesomeperson159

Smash Apprentice
Although it takes some time to unlock him, once you get to Dedede, it's worth it. I'm gonna say the B-word: He's broken.
I'm looking on the wiki, and that is a promising number of buffs. However, he still retains all of his crippling flaws, so I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: I just saw the speed buffs so maybe you're right, because that is massive
With that many damage buffs, a decent amount of frame data buffs, and him having something resembling speed, he'll probably be at least mid-to-high tier.
EDIT 2: According to the wiki his air speed is 11-16% faster which makes a huge difference, especially with reduced ending lag on his aerials

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
Oops. Doodle turned cel shading practice.
I like to think that these two would get along pretty well. They have more in common than people probably think. Too bad they don't interact much. (Though that's not exactly unexpected by Kirby standards.)
BanDee Meta - Not so different 12-8-18 Final Smaller.png

Also, if I can actually stay focused long enough, I may have something else to share soon. Something more Smash related.

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I luckily got my hand one the new amiibo that came out on release. I just hope BWD gets to be a new fighter But, hey he's in I'm at the very least glad about that

s07195

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 4502 0980 9128
If Kirby: Star Allies is the last game in the current tetralogy of Kirby, and HAL are saying farewell to all these characters from various Kirby games for this purpose... Bandana Dee might not even appear anymore...

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If Kirby: Star Allies is the last game in the current tetralogy of Kirby, and HAL are saying farewell to all these characters from various Kirby games for this purpose... Bandana Dee might not even appear anymore...
Is this some kind of sick joke?

Acemania

Smash Apprentice
HAL has stated that they're already working on the next "phase" of Kirby, so this isn't over yet.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you might be reading to much into that

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Bandana Waddle Dee definitely needs to be in the game, but sadly, it looks like they'll be choosing big surprises instead of popular requests now.
Is it wrong that this makes me dislike Piranha Plant a little more now? I mean, a generic enemy actually got in before the guy who get's that baseless accusation all the time.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Oops. Doodle turned cel shading practice.
I like to think that these two would get along pretty well. They have more in common than people probably think. Too bad they don't interact much. (Though that's not exactly unexpected by Kirby standards.)
View attachment 182260

Also, if I can actually stay focused long enough, I may have something else to share soon. Something more Smash related.
Bro that art is AWESOME!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Is it wrong that this makes me dislike Piranha Plant a little more now? I mean, a generic enemy actually got in before the guy who get's that baseless accusation all the time.
i wouldnt say its wrong, there are far worse reasons to dislike a character

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I have zero feelings about Piranha Plant I'm salty we got a generic Mario enemy before one of the world's most highly requested fighters, but Sakurai chose Piranha Plant just to take a break from the intensity and have fun with designing a fighter, so I'm happy for him.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I like Piranha Plant, but I can understand how it left a bad taste in people's mouths after the Direct that day.
A world in which Piranha Plant and Bandana Dee coexist in Smash would be a nice one, though.

Top Bottom