• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

D

Deleted member

Off topic for just one second with it being Remembrance Day god bless and thank you to those who served. You're not forgotten and you will always be remembered Lest we forget.

Back on topic anything is possible with DLC, don't lose faith and believe me I haven't ether.

Hoping some of the DLC are Nintendo characters, and hoping for the best.

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I seriously cannot fathom why people leak things. What do they think they are accomplishing by doing so? Are they doing it for the glory? Are they deliberately trying to kill hype? Do they take pride in causing anarchy among Smash fans? Are they doing it to feel special? Do they enjoy making some people happy while crushing the dreams of others? I need some closure.
Here's what I don't get: Vergeben or his sources have most likely gotten fired from their jobs because they leaked this information. Someone who spends years trying to get a job in a specialty arts-related career path (even if it's working on the actual programming of smash, I consider it a very specialized and competitive field) and gets to work for one of the largest and most prestigious companies around throws it all away for what? To tell us all that we get to play as FireCat in one game? It's a violation of non-disclosure agreements and would make it near impossible to get another job in the games industry for a while if not forever.
People are cruel, but people are also selfish and I'm not sure why someone would sabotage themselves like this. I guess I always underestimate just how little people think through their actions though.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Here's what I don't get: Vergeben or his sources have most likely gotten fired from their jobs because they leaked this information. Someone who spends years trying to get a job in a specialty arts-related career path (even if it's working on the actual programming of smash, I consider it a very specialized and competitive field) and gets to work for one of the largest and most prestigious companies around throws it all away for what? To tell us all that we get to play as FireCat in one game? It's a violation of non-disclosure agreements and would make it near impossible to get another job in the games industry for a while if not forever.
People are cruel, but people are also selfish and I'm not sure why someone would sabotage themselves like this. I guess I always underestimate just how little people think through their actions though.
I do remember Harada talking about Snuffing out leaker by giving out spefific fake info.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is what I believe the five DLC slots are:

1. Square-Enix character (Geno, Sora, or Dragon Quest character)
This is the one DLC slot that Vergeben knows about. However, its split as to who it could be. Geno has Sakurai's personal preference. Sora might very well be the most wanted third-party character not yet in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is the biggest Japanese third-party franchise left without any sort of representation in Smash Bros., and there is an upcoming port of Dragon Quest XI coming out for the Switch.

2. Namco-Bandai character
It seems really odd that that Capcom (Mega Man, Street Fighter), Konami (Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania), Sega (Sonic, Bayonetta), Square-Enix (Cloud, whoever the DLC character is) would all have two series with playable characters in Smash Bros., yet the developer for Ultimate still only has one (Pac-Man). Moreover, many of these companies have their series represented through other content in Ultimate (Virtua Fighter has an Assist Trophy, Monster Hunter has a boss and an Assist Trophy, Bomberman has an Assist Trophy). Aside from Mii costumes, Namco-Bandai has no other significant presence in the game aside from Pac-Man. I think the second Namco-Bandai character will probably be Heihachi or Lloyd. However, its always possible that they go with someone else from Tekken or Tales. It is also possible that someone from Soul Calibur is selected.

3. Banjo-Kazooie
Vergeben has gone on the record to say Minecraft content is coming, though he has not said what it is. Personally, I think we will be getting Minecraft content though it will probably be a stage and an Assist Trophy (there are six empty stage slots on the character selection screen, one more than the five slots that will be attached to the five upcoming DLC fighters aside from Pirahna Plant). Banjo-Kazooie did phenomenally well on the ballot. Microsoft has also expressed interest in the character being in Smash Bros. Microsoft owned characters (including Banjo characters) have also appeared as part of a Minecraft skin pack for Nintendo console ports of Minecraft, and crossplay for Minecraft between the Switch and Xbox was promoted at E3.

4. Bandana Dee
It seems really suspicious that Bandana Dee is among the few series critical characters not to be represented in any form at all in Ultimate. Not even as a spirit. My personal hypothesis is that characters being excluded as spirits are being saved to become DLC. Bandana Dee is likely going to be DLC due to his high important in Kirby titles released during this decade, as well as his very high popularity, particularly among the Japanese fanbase. He is probably the one Nintendo newcomer I feel the most optimistic on.

5. Elma
It is extremely suspicious that Xenoblade X has almost no content in Ultimate, to the point where Xenoblade 2 has far more content. The only piece of known Xenoblade X content in Ultimate is a spirit of a Skell. That is it. No music, no Mii costumes, no Assist Trophy. If Elma's spirit is not seen in Ultimate, it will be extremely obvious that she is being saved to become DLC.

These are my predictions at this time. I might revise them if it turns out that Bandanna Dee and Elma do have spirits in Ultimate. However, even if that is the case, I will still feel good about Bandana Dee's prospects.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You can only be fired if you get caught.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Here is what I believe the five DLC slots are:

1. Square-Enix character (Geno, Sora, or Dragon Quest character)
This is the one DLC slot that Vergeben knows about. However, its split as to who it could be. Geno has Sakurai's personal preference. Sora might very well be the most wanted third-party character not yet in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest is the biggest Japanese third-party franchise left without any sort of representation in Smash Bros., and there is an upcoming port of Dragon Quest XI coming out for the Switch.

2. Namco-Bandai character
It seems really odd that that Capcom (Mega Man, Street Fighter), Konami (Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania), Sega (Sonic, Bayonetta), Square-Enix (Cloud, whoever the DLC character is) would all have two series with playable characters in Smash Bros., yet the developer for Ultimate still only has one (Pac-Man). Moreover, many of these companies have their series represented through other content in Ultimate (Virtua Fighter has an Assist Trophy, Monster Hunter has a boss and an Assist Trophy, Bomberman has an Assist Trophy). Aside from Mii costumes, Namco-Bandai has no other significant presence in the game aside from Pac-Man. I think the second Namco-Bandai character will probably be Heihachi or Lloyd. However, its always possible that they go with someone else from Tekken or Tales. It is also possible that someone from Soul Calibur is selected.

3. Banjo-Kazooie
Vergeben has gone on the record to say Minecraft content is coming, though he has not said what it is. Personally, I think we will be getting Minecraft content though it will probably be a stage and an Assist Trophy (there are six empty stage slots on the character selection screen, one more than the five slots that will be attached to the five upcoming DLC fighters aside from Pirahna Plant). Banjo-Kazooie did phenomenally well on the ballot. Microsoft has also expressed interest in the character being in Smash Bros. Microsoft owned characters (including Banjo characters) have also appeared as part of a Minecraft skin pack for Nintendo console ports of Minecraft, and crossplay for Minecraft between the Switch and Xbox was promoted at E3.

4. Bandana Dee
It seems really suspicious that Bandana Dee is among the few series critical characters not to be represented in any form at all in Ultimate. Not even as a spirit. My personal hypothesis is that characters being excluded as spirits are being saved to become DLC. Bandana Dee is likely going to be DLC due to his high important in Kirby titles released during this decade, as well as his very high popularity, particularly among the Japanese fanbase. He is probably the one Nintendo newcomer I feel the most optimistic on.

5. Elma
It is extremely suspicious that Xenoblade X has almost no content in Ultimate, to the point where Xenoblade 2 has far more content. The only piece of known Xenoblade X content in Ultimate is a spirit of a Skell. That is it. No music, no Mii costumes, no Assist Trophy. If Elma's spirit is not seen in Ultimate, it will be extremely obvious that she is being saved to become DLC.

These are my predictions at this time. I might revise them if it turns out that Bandanna Dee and Elma do have spirits in Ultimate. However, even if that is the case, I will still feel good about Bandana Dee's prospects.
If this did turn out to be the DLC line-up, I'd be 100% satisfied with it. It's a good mix of Nintendo franchises that could easily get expanded upon and solid third party picks.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If this did turn out to be the DLC line-up, I'd be 100% satisfied with it. It's a good mix of Nintendo franchises that could easily get expanded upon and solid third party picks.
I agree. However, a few caveats:

1. For the Square-Enix slot, its a mystery box (except we know its a character owned by Square-Enix). It is most likely Geno, Sora, or someone to represent Dragon Quest, but otherwise who ends up getting picked could end up with some bitterness.

2. The Namco-Bandai slot could potentially go to a third-party not already in Smash Bros.

3. Banjo's slot could got to Steve from Minecraft (I am not expecting it to happen, but its still possible).

4. Elma's slot could go to another Nintendo newcomer if she does end up getting a spirit (the main reason I have her among my predictions is the suspicious absence of Xenoblade X content from Ultimate). If that is the case then I see could her slot going to another Nintendo character. This slot could be anything from Dixie Kong to a Fire Emblem Three Houses character. Elma would still be in the running for this slot, but it would basically be a free-for-all among Nintendo characters without a significant role in Ultimate. A true mystery box.

The individual character in general I feel the best on though is Bandana Dee. I feel he has very strong credentials going into DLC, and its outright bizarre the character has not been acknowledged in any notable form despite the massive volume of requests that the character has received as well as his prominent roles in recent Kirby titles. Even if the character does end up becoming a spirit in Ultimate, I do not think that dampers his DLC prospects at all.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
ChronoBound ChronoBound : That pretty much matches my thoughts since the Direct, though I would put a general "Microsoft character" in place of Banjo & Kazooie. (Mostly because of Steve being a very real option.) The rumored picks seem extremely questionable given that Nintendo picked the fighters. There's no way that they wouldn't want to keep some of it for themselves, even if it was just for another Corrin-type pick.

You can only be fired if you get caught.
You could also be sued and blacklisted from the industry for breaking NDA...
Given how few channels the DLC info will be going through compared to the base game (and assuming they don't pull another Ryu), it would be much easier to find the culprit. Some companies will even punish a small group of people if they can't figure out who specifically did it, so add to that some very angry former co-workers. The five minutes of anonymous internet fame are not worth it. (Not to say that any of this would stop someone, especially if they don't realize just how badly it could end.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vergeben never seemed like he was working for anyone. But that's how I see it. He's smart and won't let his sources be caught. Regardless thankful for the news.

Doubt he'd straight up confirm Bandana Dee but I'd never ask. Don't want to pester him plus he's probably looking forward to putting Super Smash Bros. and the community long behind him.

WinOrTroll

Smash Rookie
I do think Bandana Dee does have a big shot for DLC despite the lack of info from the leakers. Let's just hope and pray BWD makes it in.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Who would that be? The Smash roster is entirely comprised of iconic game mascots or the direct support characters of those games. We've never actually gotten a tertiary character in Smash before. Hell, Sheik is infamous for being the least "important" character addition since she's only in one proper Zelda game, but she got in via a loophole with Zelda.
We stopped adding in icons once we started working on fighters before their game even released.
Ok, but who isn't relevant anymore? Retro fighters. Believe it or not, being in Smash doesn't change the fact that not many people know who the Ice Climbers are or what the heck R.O.B. is, especially the younger audience, which Nintendo is trying to marked this game to.
On to some other not-so-relevant-anymore fighters:
:ultdoc:: Shouldn't have to explain this one.
:ultfalcon:: Hasn't had a game since the Gamecube.
:ultcorrin:: See the first sentence
:ultmarth:: Hasn't made a major appearance outside of cameos for some time (not including non-canonical titles)
:ultroy:: See above
:ultdaisy:: Has barely been in a main story line game (same logic as Marth and Roy, I guess)
:ultdarksamus:: Has not appeared in a Metroid game in almost a dozen years
:ultsheik:: Has made a canonical appearance in one game that was released two decades ago
:ultrichter:: Lesser known Belmont, wasn't even widely known until after the direct, since not even the leakers could predict him
:ultyounglink:: See Sheik (Ok I guess Majora's Mask counts but that game is almost two decades old)

Perhaps you disagree with me on a few of these, but it's undeniable that some fighters Smash is supporting aren't doing anything themselves. And if I should repeat it again....they worked on a fighter before their game was even released yet.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
We stopped adding in icons once we started working on fighters before their game even released.
Ok, but who isn't relevant anymore? Retro fighters. Believe it or not, being in Smash doesn't change the fact that not many people know who the Ice Climbers are or what the heck R.O.B. is, especially the younger audience, which Nintendo is trying to marked this game to.
:ultmarth:: Hasn't made a major appearance outside of cameos for some time (not including non-canonical titles)
:ultdaisy:: Has barely been in a main story line game (same logic as Marth and Roy, I guess)
:ultsheik:: Has made a canonical appearance in one game that was released two decades ago
:ultrichter:: Lesser known Belmont, wasn't even widely known until after the direct, since not even the leakers could predict him
:ultyounglink:: See Sheik (Ok I guess Majora's Mask counts but that game is almost two decades old)

Perhaps you disagree with me on a few of these, but it's undeniable that some fighters Smash is supporting aren't doing anything themselves. And if I should repeat it again....they worked on a fighter before their game was even released yet.
All of these characters are mascots of a specific game, mascots of a specific franchise, or clones. And, like I said, Sheik is a freak of nature outlier.

What exactly is your point here?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Would just like to point out that Richter was not a lesser Belmont not an unknown before his reveal. Maybe to people who are only Smash fans, sure, but Richter was a playable character in Symphony of the freaking Night.

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
So something I haven't seen anyone mention. Meta Knight's new final smash is actually based on Star Allies. Lightning strikes his sword while he does the Friend Ability pose, at it clearly becomes a electric sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZkzSXmHEM

It may be possible that Sakurai held bandana dee back from the base game in order to more properly incorporate this elemental mechanic into his moveset. Maybe HAL didn't have the whole system figured out in time for the base game's roster selection, so they couldn't give Dee a moveset with it then

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Would just like to point out that Richter was not a lesser Belmont not an unknown before his reveal. Maybe to people who are only Smash fans, sure, but Richter was a playable character in Symphony of the freaking Night.
THANK YOU. Maybe in the Smash bubble he's lesser known but he is probably one of the most popular Belmonts among Castlevania fans, considering Symphony of the Night is considered one of the greatest games of all time and he has a major role in it, and his solo game Rondo Of Blood/Dracula X is considered one of the best classic 'Vania titles.

I don't even agree with the post as a whole but that particular part proves it to be incredibly myopic at best.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Eh, not being a Castlevania fan, I can't judge one way or the other if Richter was the appropriate choice for an echo. I have heard from friends that he's pretty important in his series, but I think they made the right choice in making Simon the main Belmont in this game. He is the face of the series, even if he is a bit out of date.

On another note, I really hope your DLC predictions are right, ChronoBound ChronoBound , I'm not to keen on the DLC leaks that Verge's trusted leaker has given us.

Last edited:

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
If Nintendo chose all the DLC fighters I think Bandana Dee has even more of a shot at making it. There's only so many characters left they can draw from and he is very popular. We just have to wait and dee

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
So something I haven't seen anyone mention. Meta Knight's new final smash is actually based on Star Allies. Lightning strikes his sword while he does the Friend Ability pose, at it clearly becomes a electric sword.

It may be possible that Sakurai held bandana dee back from the base game in order to more properly incorporate this elemental mechanic into his moveset. Maybe HAL didn't have the whole system figured out in time for the base game's roster selection, so they couldn't give Dee a moveset with it then
That does conflict with the fact that Nintendo chose all of the DLC instead of Sakurai, unless Sakurai requested to put Dee into Smash as DLC himself, then perhaps, Nintendo could've made an exception.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Eh, not being a Castlevania fan, I can't judge one way or the other if Richter was the appropriate choice for an echo. I have heard from friends that he's pretty important in his series, but I think they made the right choice in making Simon the main Belmont in this game. He is the face of the series, even if he is a bit out of date.

On another note, I really hope your DLC predictions are right, ChronoBound ChronoBound , I'm not to keen on the DLC leaks that Verge's trusted leaker has given us.
Yeah, Simon is definitely the main Belmont. There’s no question. As for who to make an Echo, it was either Richter or Trevor, and with Simon borrowing moves from Richter and him being way more popular in Japan, he was the obvious choice.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
All of these characters are mascots of a specific game, mascots of a specific franchise, or clones. And, like I said, Sheik is a freak of nature outlier.

What exactly is your point here?
My point is that despite being mascots of certain games, the target market of Smash just isn't familiar enough with a good amount of some of the fighters in the game. Not that it's a huge issue, since Nintendo is also adding a good amount of recent fighters in the game.

My other point is that some fighters who simply aren't important to their franchise are also in the game, which is confusing to say the least.

I was hoping someone else would notice. It seems to resemble the attack Dark Meta Knight uses when he summons a clone of himself, so I guess flavor wins if you're using the new Dark Meta Knight alt.

I have a tinfoil hat theory that Dee was in the base game but pushed to DeeLC. It seems likely that they cooperated with HAL to gain some details from Star Allies. My guess is that since Kirby is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises, they decided to push Dee from the base game to DeeLC to have more room for fighters to market newer/upcoming games (Incineroar for Gen 7, Ridley/Dark Samus for MP4 hype, Isabelle for AC 2019, etc.). After all, Smash newcomers are taking marketing priority over fan demand, so it only makes sense. Dee will probably be announced as hype DeeLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was hoping someone else would notice. It seems to resemble the attack Dark Meta Knight uses when he summons a clone of himself, so I guess flavor wins if you're using the new Dark Meta Knight alt.

I have a tinfoil hat theory that Dee was in the base game but pushed to DeeLC. It seems likely that they cooperated with HAL to gain some details from Star Allies. My guess is that since Kirby is one of Nintendo's best selling franchises, they decided to push Dee from the base game to DeeLC to have more room for fighters to market newer/upcoming games (Incineroar for Gen 7, Ridley/Dark Samus for MP4 hype, Isabelle for AC 2019, etc.). After all, Smash newcomers are taking marketing priority over fan demand, so it only makes sense. Dee will probably be announced as hype DeeLC.
That's the most sensical argument I've seen in regards to Dee so far, thank you. Let's also recall him not showing up in Dedede's FS, as usual.

Vergeben never seemed like he was working for anyone. But that's how I see it. He's smart and won't let his sources be caught. Regardless thankful for the news.

Doubt he'd straight up confirm Bandana Dee but I'd never ask. Don't want to pester him plus he's probably looking forward to putting Super Smash Bros. and the community long behind him.
Especially considering that he deliberately goes into GameFAQs, which is known for being a cesspool even within the Smash community. He may be smart, but not THAT smart...

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman

They really went all out for MK's FS.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Promising, with the only black mark being Steve, though I wouldn't immediately believe it quite yet. He does seem pretty serious though. I will say it would be hilarious if the "Goomba with a hat" argument gets countered with "what about one without a hat, then?" in the end.

Plus, Pauline playable in anything is a boon, even if the Zelda part seems dubious. :love:

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Probably fake.

Waddle Dee: The guy was probably like "Oh hey. A generic mook got in, let me put in this other mook similar to a character people actually wanted just to piss them off. Also, isn't Waddle Dee deconfirmed since he's 1: In some of Dedede's animations and 2: a Spirit?
Steve and Square Enix rep: Riding off of Verge and Hitagi.
Fourth Character: Stand-in for Katalina. He's saying he doesn't know since there are rumors that she's not getting in that even Verge and Hitagi don't know for sure.
Metroid rep: The wildcard pick. Every leak has at least one that isn't in most of the others.

And also, knowing that Nintendo's picking, we're far more likely to get Byleth and a Gen 8 mon than Goomba Dee and another Metroid rep.

Mario Party: I think their next choice for a baddie would be Boom Boom, since we have Pom Pom, but not Boom Boom. And also, Zelda, but not Link? Lastly, the 2nd board name seems a little wordy for Mario Party.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Probably fake.

Waddle Dee: The guy was probably like "Oh hey. A generic mook got in, let me put in this other mook similar to a character people actually wanted just to piss them off. Also, isn't Waddle Dee deconfirmed since he's 1: In some of Dedede's animations and 2: a Spirit?
Steve and Square Enix rep: Riding off of Verge and Hitagi.
Fourth Character: Stand-in for Katalina. He's saying he doesn't know since there are rumors that she's not getting in that even Verge and Hitagi don't know for sure.
Metroid rep: The wildcard pick. Every leak has at least one that isn't in most of the others.

And also, knowing that Nintendo's picking, we're far more likely to get Byleth and a Gen 8 mon than Goomba Dee and another Metroid rep.

Mario Party: I think their next choice for a baddie would be Boom Boom, since we have Pom Pom, but not Boom Boom. And also, Zelda, but not Link? Lastly, the 2nd board name seems a little wordy for Mario Party.
Metroid Prime 4 is coming up, so it makes as much sense to have a character from there as one from Gen 8 or Three Houses.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Metroid Prime 4 is coming up, so it makes as much sense to have a character from there as one from Gen 8 or Three Houses.
While it is true, FE and Pokemon seem more likely for Nintendo to force Sakurai to add in, since they have a habit of getting new reps. While that still is a valid possibility, my other points (especially the one about Waddle Dee) stand.

Last edited:

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
If BWD did make it in, do you think they would call him Bandana Waddle Dee or simply Waddle Dee?

Bandanna_Waddle_Dee

Smash Apprentice
If BWD did make it in, do you think they would call him Bandana Waddle Dee or simply Waddle Dee?
Probably Bandana Waddle Dee. It's been his name since Triple Deluxe and onward, so if they were to pull stuff from Star Allies, they'd most likely uses Bandana Waddle Dee since that's what he's called in that.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
So, the BWD bashing never ends, huh?
This is why I hope by some slim chance they just go with Bandana Dee. It rolls off the tongue better and helps establish Bandana Dee as what he is: an important character who is separate from the other Waddle Dees; unlike what the Deetractors like Gamexplain (that includes Derrick, since he was arguing for him to be added as a rep for Waddle Dees and said that Marx is Kirby's best friend, so I'm not so sure he's actually on our side), Shokio, 80-90% of the Marx fans, and others have been saying.

And also, I know I'm late about MK's FS, but I kinda feel that it's a bit of a downgrade, since his new one is just another generic "I hit you. You fly to the top of the screen, I go to the top of the screen, hit you a bunch, and send you flying", just like Mii Brawler, Ike, Cloud, Greninja (Did his change?), Robin, and maybe some others. Nowhere near as bad as Peach and Daisy's tho (you know, the one that needed to be changed the most besides maybe Rosalina's, which actually got changed.)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This is why I hope by some slim chance they just go with Bandana Dee. It rolls off the tongue better and helps establish Bandana Dee as what he is: an important character who is separate from the other Waddle Dees; unlike what the Deetractors like Gamexplain (that includes Derrick, since he was arguing for him to be added as a rep for Waddle Dees and said that Marx is Kirby's best friend, so I'm not so sure he's actually on our side), Shokio, 80-90% of the Marx fans, and others have been saying.

And also, I know I'm late about MK's FS, but I kinda feel that it's a bit of a downgrade, since his new one is just another generic "I hit you. You fly to the top of the screen, I go to the top of the screen, hit you a bunch, and send you flying", just like Mii Brawler, Ike, Cloud, Greninja (Did his change?), Robin, and maybe some others. Nowhere near as bad as Peach and Daisy's tho (you know, the one that needed to be changed the most besides maybe Rosalina's, which actually got changed.)
I read that Greninja’s FS was changed to Ash-Greninja, though I don’t know if the attack itself changed.

Top Bottom