• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Legend of Dee - Our Star Ally as DeeLC?! (v(- ' ' -)>↑

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, the BWD bashing never ends, huh?
I'm just saying, It's hard to know if the Japanese love all Waddle Dees equally. It's a bit tough to be impartial in this kind of case. :nervous:

Just hope to God that Verg's sources are wrong about at least one thing they claimed about. Their shenanigans have basically caused an uncontrollable lust for Katalina on the general thread.

80-90% of the Marx fans
Okay, that just makes it even worse. :glare: The moment that guy gets in over Dee, it's nuclear levels of rage. Luckily his Star Allies appearance is too recent to consider.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Chandeelure Chandeelure , earlier on this thread you posted a group of charts proving that Dee was an incredibly popular fighter request. Do you think you could post that image again, for relevancy's sake?

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Chandeelure Chandeelure , earlier on this thread you posted a group of charts proving that Dee was an incredibly popular fighter request. Do you think you could post that image again, relevancy's sake?
I only remember posting these:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
I'm just saying, It's hard to know if the Japanese love all Waddle Dees equally. It's a bit tough to be impartial in this kind of case. :nervous:
It's extremely arbitrary. Bandana Dee is a Waddle Dee, thus obviously any normal Waddle Dee popularity would apply to him. That's the point of his character; To be THE Waddle Dee

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
I only remember posting these:

Unfortunately, the first one doesn't deal with most wanted, it deals with "most anticipated", meaning "who do you expect".
https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.html
The second one has to be taken with a grain of salt since we don't even know what they mean by "Waddle Dee".

SwitchButton

Unfortunately, the first one doesn't deal with most wanted, it deals with "most anticipated", meaning "who do you expect".
Lets not pretend the Smash fanbase knows or cares about what the difference is.

Smash poll = chance to advertise my most wanted character to Sakurai

It's safe to assume any and all polls are popularity based

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The second one has to be taken with a grain of salt since we don't even know what they mean by "Waddle Dee".
Yeah, it's in the tweet's comments, but at least it shows that the japanese think Bandana Dee makes a lot of sense, they expect him for a reason.

And about Waddle Dee being popular, well, Bandana Dee is a Waddle Dee, so even if that's about the species, I think those are pretty good news.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lets not pretend the Smash fanbase knows what the difference is.

Smash poll = chance to advertise my most wanted character to Sakurai

It's safe to assume any and all polls are popularity based
Besides, the real determining factor is the ballot results, which we still know nothing of (and probably won't, for sanity's sake). All we can do right now is pray that he's in.

Yeah, it's in the tweet's comments.

But at least shows that the japanese think Bandana Dee makes a lot of sense, they expect him for a reason.

And about Waddle Dee being popular, well, Bandana Dee is a Waddle Dee, so even if that's about the species, I think those are pretty good news.
Still pretty good for sure (and Daisy's in there too, yay).

Also, where's your new sig from, Chandeelure Chandeelure , it's funny.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
AndreaAC AndreaAC made the Bandana Dee and Dedede sketch drawings and I added the background, colours and dialogue.
That was years ago haha.

Thanks, I like it a lot!
You're welcome.

Also, I can't believe I didn't point it out earlier, but one of the tweet commenters (on the tweet retweeting the poll results) referred to BWD as a marshmallow. He's an apple dang it, get it right. :psycho:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Well, looks like some polling results on Reddit have come up, and the Dee has come up in the top 3 wishes for DLC!

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...hbros_ultimate_character_hype_survey_results/

Also, while I've been browsing on DA, I came upon this inspirational piece by MAST3R-RAINB0W:

https://www.deviantart.com/mast3r-rainb0w/art/Hang-Tight-Bandana-Boys-BandanaDeeLC-771962591

I love that art!! It really brings my hopes up after being brainwashed/accepted from hearing people wanting Nintendo to pick only 3rd party characters.
Also for that poll, I was going through the other results and daaaaaaannnggg, I didn't know people wanted to main Kirby THAT much. I mean, I plan on maining Kirby and trying other characters too, but after hearing so many people calling kirby 'trash' or 'has barely any buffs' I thought a few people would pick him to be their main. It's nice to see both Kirby and BDW that high :).

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I love that art!! It really brings my hopes up after being brainwashed/accepted from hearing people wanting Nintendo to pick only 3rd party characters.
Also for that poll, I was going through the other results and daaaaaaannnggg, I didn't know people wanted to main Kirby THAT much. I mean, I plan on maining Kirby and trying other characters too, but after hearing so many people calling kirby 'trash' or 'has barely any buffs' I thought a few people would pick him to be their main. It's nice to see both Kirby and BDW that high :).
Wow... honestly, all this does give me a bit of more hope than before. All this talk about the rumored DLC characters was wearing me out, and I was just about to accept fate regarding how our Bandana Boy might not make it this time around. Well, I guess I should still try to hope for the best from here on out. Perhaps, he still has a chance.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Wow... honestly, all this does give me a bit of more hope than before. All this talk about the rumored DLC characters was wearing me out, and I was just about to accept fate regarding how our Bandana Boy might not make it this time around. Well, I guess I should still try to hope for the best from here on out. Perhaps, he still has a chance.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. From the looks of it, they're not taking fans into account for the DLC, so I wouldn't expect ANY Fan-Favorites, let alone our top guy. Again, just don't get your hopes up.

Also, Steve being higher than Shantae has made me lose hope in humanity

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know, I just don't know. The leaker who said "everyone is here, no cuts" was pretty upfront about his info.

Meanwhile, Verge got some things right, yet completely missed or dismissed others, then talked about sources that might have heard details without being too specific, or have changed their minds. It's like being given a jigsaw puzzle, except that all the pieces have been painted the same color, and have pieces from a different puzzle thrown in to make things even more complicated.

We can't expect anything too good, but can't just immediately assume the worst either. It's best to not think about it as much as possible and be content with the main game after it releases, for now. Being down to Earth is key, and even if BWD isn't in, Nintendo has a chance to clearly hear about and address complaints, should push come to shove.

Last edited:

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I wouldn't get my hopes up. From the looks of it, they're not taking fans into account for the DLC, so I wouldn't expect ANY Fan-Favorites, let alone our top guy. Again, just don't get your hopes up.

Also, Steve being higher than Shantae has made me lose hope in humanity
Yeah, my level of hope still isn't nearly as high as it was before. I'm just going to stay neutral towards everything until the fighters are revealed.
Although, I would like to see the first unannounced DLC character before I make any assumptions on Nintendo's and Sakurai's potential approach to it as a whole.

Last edited:

11th

Smash Apprentice
From the looks of it, they're not taking fans into account for the DLC, so I wouldn't expect ANY Fan-Favorites--
Hold that thought.

None of the DLC picks have been announced yet. We don't know what Nintendo's priority was with it. Could they have gone full on promotional and only added characters from upcoming first-/second-party games? Yes. Could they have used it to build stronger bridges with third-parties while disregarding fan requests? Yes. Could they have referenced the ballot results and picked things that are popular and that should have no problem selling? Yes.

Until we see the first character, we have no clue what they may have gone for. Rumors are just rumors until proven or dispelled by official sources.
We literally just went through this with the banner "leak".

Last edited:

Plumstar

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I wanted to share this because it's really interesting. So I follow this youtuber who makes AMAZING orchestral arranges of Kirby music like CROWNED, Star Dream, you name it. And today he posted a remix of Lifelight but made it even better. Once you listen to it (or read the title), it'll makes sense cause...y'know Kirby...star of the show? (sorry)
This arrange is truly beautiful as it kind of represents the Kirby series as well...
Not gonna lie, if Bandana Dee makes it to DLC, I want this to be our victory theme, HIS theme. I know I'd listen to that until he's released (Both this and the Apple juice song).
Sorry if I'm being too hopeful, these posts literally made my day and I wanted to share something I found to carry our support for BD. Even though I'd still have to keep my expectations in check, I can't help but feel hyped whenever I listen to this. Literally both the artwork and this arrange made me even more hopeful than I ever was, let's keep showing our support for the Dee! And if he doesn't make it, then Nintendo will surely notice us and hopefully get him in the next game. We're just getting started! (sorry for the cheesy sentence.)

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I mean, Dee is basically confirmed at this point. It's undeniable that Sakurai has connected with his Western audience a bit more this time, compared to the Japanese getting almost all of the love in Smash 4.

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Looking at MK's FS again, if his sword is meant to be imbued with the Zap property, why doesn't his sword change shape?
Edit: it's not a reference to the Zap Sword. It's a reference to the Mach Tornado from SSU. http://i.4cdn.org/v/1542128555372.gif

Last edited:

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
I mean, Dee is basically confirmed at this point. It's undeniable that Sakurai has connected with his Western audience a bit more this time, compared to the Japanese getting almost all of the love in Smash 4.
I don't think any of us can agree with this. Just because a character is popular and was requested years ago doesn't mean they're "confirmed." Look at Isaac and the 700+ pages his support thread had, and he's once again an assist trophy.

Also, Nintendo chose the characters this time so Sakurai shouldn't even be a part of this discussion.

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094
Nothing is ever confirmed when talking about Smash newcomers.
Expecting a "basically confirmed" character often may end up creating false expectations.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't think any of us can agree with this. Just because a character is popular and was requested years ago doesn't mean they're "confirmed." Look at Isaac and the 700+ pages his support thread had, and he's once again an assist trophy.

Also, Nintendo chose the characters this time so Sakurai shouldn't even be a part of this discussion.
I take back what I said, but seriously, there is not much other competition.
As for Isaac, Sakurai probably pays no attention to this website, and he was going to get shafted anyway. That's kind of what happens to characters with small histories with Nintendo from games that haven't seen much love from Nintendo in recent years.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah, I really doubt Meta Knight's Final Smash is a reference to Star Allies.

It's just a generic "Great Aether" Final Smash, with Crobat wings for some reason.
Star Allies came out too late to be referenced IMO, I didn't even see a PNG image, I mean Spirit, from it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Okay, I wanted to share this because it's really interesting. So I follow this youtuber who makes AMAZING orchestral arranges of Kirby music like CROWNED, Star Dream, you name it. And today he posted a remix of Lifelight but made it even better. Once you listen to it (or read the title), it'll makes sense cause...y'know Kirby...star of the show? (sorry)
This arrange is truly beautiful as it kind of represents the Kirby series as well...
Not gonna lie, if Bandana Dee makes it to DLC, I want this to be our victory theme, HIS theme. I know I'd listen to that until he's released (Both this and the Apple juice song).
Sorry if I'm being too hopeful, these posts literally made my day and I wanted to share something I found to carry our support for BD. Even though I'd still have to keep my expectations in check, I can't help but feel hyped whenever I listen to this. Literally both the artwork and this arrange made me even more hopeful than I ever was, let's keep showing our support for the Dee! And if he doesn't make it, then Nintendo will surely notice us and hopefully get him in the next game. We're just getting started! (sorry for the cheesy sentence.)
I love this youtuber and I have been subscribed for months. Everyone here should check out their channel!

FancySmash

Smash Lord
In terms of 1st Party Characters, Bandana Dee IMO has the best chance of anyone (barring marketing choices like FE 3 Houses or Pokemon Gen 8 who I feel don't yet deserve the spot). This gets a little more muddled though when 3rd Parties are thrown into the mix. Personally, I don't want too many more third party characters, as this started a Nintendo All Star clash, with some guests. I feel if third parties just keep showing up, it could easily just become "Gaming the fighting game."

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's pretty good, I listened to their Marx remix earlier and it wouldn't be too out of place in one of the older Final Fantasy games. Very intricate compositions.

In terms of 1st Party Characters, Bandana Dee IMO has the best chance of anyone (barring marketing choices like FE 3 Houses or Pokemon Gen 8 who I feel don't yet deserve the spot). This gets a little more muddled though when 3rd Parties are thrown into the mix. Personally, I don't want too many more third party characters, as this started a Nintendo All Star clash, with some guests. I feel if third parties just keep showing up, it could easily just become "Gaming the fighting game."
I think the balance is being kept so far. As long as the Nintendo characters completely outnumber the TPs, it's fine. Besides, the only second series inclusions so far for TPs are Echoes (even if Ken stretches the definition to its maximum), and I doubt they'd try to fit in entire fighting game rosters.

Not to mention, showing up on a Nintendo thing is still a courteous thing to do.

Nothing is ever confirmed when talking about Smash newcomers.
Expecting a "basically confirmed" character often may end up creating false expectations.
Yes. The best thing to do is to try and come into a Direct/an announcement with not much of an idea what to expect.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
That's pretty good, I listened to their Marx remix earlier and it wouldn't be too out of place in one of the older Final Fantasy games. Very intricate compositions.

I think the balance is being kept so far. As long as the Nintendo characters completely outnumber the TPs, it's fine. Besides, the only second series inclusions so far for TPs are Echoes (even if Ken stretches the definition to its maximum), and I doubt they'd try to fit in entire fighting game rosters.

Not to mention, showing up on a Nintendo thing is still a courteous thing to do.

Yes. The best thing to do is to try and come into a Direct/an announcement with not much of an idea what to expect.
That is true, I'm actually all for third parties getting echoes. Mrs. Pac-Man and Shadow would work perfectly for Pac-Man and Sonic, though some like Mega Man have a much harder time now. I guess Chrom pulls Proto and Bass back in the running.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That is true, I'm actually all for third parties getting echoes. Mrs. Pac-Man and Shadow would work perfectly for Pac-Man and Sonic, though some like Mega Man have a much harder time now. I guess Chrom pulls Proto and Bass back in the running.
3rd parties getting echoes sounds fine since it won't take up serious roster space, and we get more cool amiibo.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I think the main reason Isaac didn't become playable is his franchise being dead. King K Rool has a pretty good shot at being in a future DKC game (especially now that he's in smash) but golden sun has been dead for years. Isaac was the most requested 1st party after K Rool I believe, so that's the only reasonable explanation... Unless they actually read the ballot section where they explained why they wanted the character. Maybe a lot of people said something like "Isaac's assist trophy was removed," and Sakurai brought the assist back instead of a playable character.

The point is... Sakurai isn't ignoring fan demand at all, but there's more to putting in a character than fan demand. I think it's good to be optimistic about Dee, because there is literally nothing going against him being playable.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I think the main reason Isaac didn't become playable is his franchise being dead. King K Rool has a pretty good shot at being in a future DKC game (especially now that he's in smash) but golden sun has been dead for years. Isaac was the most requested 1st party after K Rool I believe, so that's the only reasonable explanation... Unless they actually read the ballot section where they explained why they wanted the character. Maybe a lot of people said something like "Isaac's assist trophy was removed," and Sakurai brought the assist back instead of a playable character.

The point is... Sakurai isn't ignoring fan demand at all, but there's more to putting in a character than fan demand. I think it's good to be optimistic about Dee, because there is literally nothing going against him being playable.
I have a feeling Isaac may have been an initial plan for the base roster but was relegated to Assist Trophy because Nintendo was picking DLC and Sakurai thought they wouldn't pick him so knew the only way to get him in the game with a 3D model was as an Assist. It sounds a bit silly but there isn't anything really going against it either if you think about it.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I have a feeling Isaac may have been an initial plan for the base roster but was relegated to Assist Trophy because Nintendo was picking DLC and Sakurai thought they wouldn't pick him so knew the only way to get him in the game with a 3D model was as an Assist. It sounds a bit silly but there isn't anything really going against it either if you think about it.
If that were true, wouldn't he keep Isaac in the base game and leave Incineroar or Isabelle for Nintendo to force him into choosing?

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

That's what I was thinking, especially since there was a lack of a new retro character in the base roster as well, like Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, or Mr. Game & Watch. Castlevania, a series that had a retro past, is at least still relevant to this day though unlike Golden Sun. Perhaps if the series has a reawakening someday, Isaac could join the battle as well.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That's what I was thinking, especially since there was a lack of a new retro character in the base roster as well, like Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, R.O.B, or Mr. Game & Watch. Castlevania, a series that had a retro past, is at least still relevant to this day though unlike Golden Sun. Perhaps if the series has a reawakening someday, Isaac could join the battle as well.
IMO Sakurai doesn't see them as "retro picks" and just makes it a goal to add one or two joke characters. G&W/ice climbers, ROB/pit, duck hunt/wii fit, and now piranha plant are all joke characters, I'd say. Plus, Isaac isn't exactly retro. His first game was on GBA.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Isaac wasn't that high on some ballots. In the official Japanese ballot, the next four first parties after King K. Rool were Wold, Roy, BWD and Ridley. Isaac wasn't at the top. And yes I agree with you, GS is pretty dead.

Top Bottom