• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bananas aren't the reason why Diddy's good!

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Geez, banana this banana that! Where's the love for diddy's other moves. A smart opponent will have them used against you! I own people with diddy because of his broken dash attack not because of those bananas(although they help)! Honestly, some times I think Diddy gets less attention than those bananas he throws:psycho:

Player-1

Smash Legend
I disagree kinda. If diddy didn't have bananas he'd be aiming for the normal tier list or below. Yes it is key to his game, but his other moves own to. His spike, his dash attack, all his aerials all great. Diddy's game is based on his bananas, but you have to add in his other moves to

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Geez, banana this banana that! Where's the love for diddy's other moves. A smart opponent will have them used against you! I own people with diddy because of his broken dash attack not because of those bananas(although they help)! Honestly, some times I think Diddy gets less attention than those bananas he throws:psycho:
:laugh:

10wtfs

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Nothing complements Diddy's moves like a fallen opponent. While the bannanas may not be all that diddy has, there is no reason not to use them, as he gets great benefit from them.

Scala

Smash Ace
The bananas are what truly lead diddy to victory by giving him a window to use his medium-range/priority smash attacks. Also, they put so much more pressure on the opponent and generally make for good mindgames.

Otherwise he would be completely average.

akapseudo

Smash Cadet
bananas just add another whole level to diddy. sure hes got other great moves but its the combination of his other moves with the bananas that make him great, and since the bananas are used more than any other move they get the most attention

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Diddy definitely can play without bananas. He's pretty good overall.

But the bananas just amplify all his good characteristics and can be used to downplay his bad ones. Having trouble killing them at low %? Glide toss -> Fsmash. Want to make your opponent vulnerable to comboing for longer? Trip them with a banana.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Dash attack can be shield grabbed easily unless you nana them before you do it, then there is usually to much pressure for them to actually shield grab you correctly, so you can hit them with utilt/usmash.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Diddy's nanners are great, but another aspect of Diddy's game that I feel make him an exceptional character would be his movements. For instance his quick recovery after rolls, his ability to double-spot-dodge almost as quickly as MeleeFox, and his relatively fast recovery when landing/teching etc.

Of course, as most all of the Diddy mains would agree, his basic abilities combined with nanners can turn into a very deadly rhythm.... of killing things.

Popertop

Smash Champion
his ability to keep up aerial pressure is only complimented by his bananas.
you don't have to use bananas to have a good diddy, but their essential to what makes diddy a powerhouse.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
yeah, I didnt have time to watch the whole videos,

but the point is that they make Diddy A LOT better. It can sometimes be hard to hit with Diddy, because he doesnt have much range compared to other characters. Using the bananas to immobilize the opponent makes it a lot easier. There are also many mindgames that you can do with the bananas.

Why wouldnt you utilize one of his best moves? It would be like a Snake not using grenades. If it helps your character, and makes it easier to win, why not use it?

btw- PaOol is a Diddy player from Socal thats made some great combo videos and Diddy guide videos.

IDK

Smash Lord
yes... yes they are. bananas own. i main bananas. do not diss the banana or you will be killed. by the banana. respect the banana. love the banana. BE the banana.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
Yeah, It's annoying when newbs think that. A real Diddy master doesn't need to rely on bananas in order to daze and attack his opponents constantly. A lame stragety like that can decrease your ability to use his other moves more efficiently, because you've got bananas on the brain....

I personally use them on occasion like how how a Snake main implants mines once in a while.

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
its not just the bananas that are so great, its the proper utilization of the moveset with emphasis on bananas. You can't be a really good player if you just spam one move.
I for one absolutely LOVE the bananas, but I would never neglect my other moves :3

DragoonAnger

Smash Rookie
Diddy would be good without his naners, but they really give him a boost. The naners lead to some crazy combos. Diddy can also have a little trouble killing sometimes, and naners help out with that. Few things are more satisfying than your opponent slipping on a peel and you Fsmashing them off the screen. :D

Rampage

vx
I remember I was playing a friend of mine (Diddy main) and I told him "Play one match with me without using one banana" I destroyed him and usually we're pretty even.

Bananas are the only reason diddy is decent

ice_cream_man

Smash Journeyman
ya diddy has a lot of good moves, it's just that the nanas just set up openings for diddy and get his momentum rolling. they frustrate the other player too.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I think we should all main Banana's instead of Diddy.

To the point that Diddy's metagame doesn't evolve, and Banana's become the most evolved aspect of Brawl's Metagame.

lol.[/sarcasm]

As is general consensus. At the moment for the very least, the key to victory with Diddy Kong is with the bananas. I don't think anyone can dispute that.

EDIT:

Continuing with the previous sarcasm, I have made a new sig for the diddy kong forums to adopt.

BEHOLD:

Whip out your banana(s) and play with friends, with anyone!
Play with them two at a time even! And watch as you're foes deal with the slippery mess you leave on the ground afterwards : D

xcapablancax

Smash Cadet
diddy's bananas are what peach's turnips were in melee. thats the reason why initially picked up diddy as a main

Spiteful Link

Smash Rookie
Glide Tossing a Banana and executing a follow-up F-Smash or Hyphen Smash is fun. I think that someone can kick serious prostate even without naners if they are sufficiently skilled, but obviously the Bananas help tremendously, so why pass on that strategy unless it's just a self-induced handicap for giggles? Although using Bananas as an instrument of destruction is enough to make me giggle in the first place!

Vall3y

Smash Lord
a. diddy isnt good
b. the way the metagame progress, it seems diddy is going to focus less and less on the banana as people learn to abuse your bananas themselves

BluB0mber

Smash Rookie
Besides the ability to gimp the up-B recovery, I believe DK to be quite a character. Even then, you have Side-B to trick ledge-guarders.

Banana's help to control the game. Overall though, I believe DK to be a very good all around character.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
I use nanners well, and they definitely have a place in my Diddy game...

however...

the problem with nanners is that a good, balanced player, regardless of whether they are using Diddy or not, will be able to either turn your nanners against you, or if the two of you are both equal in nanner skills, will at least be able to use them well enough to negate the huge advantage that nanners are supposed to give you.

For instance, when I play Diddy-mains, they usually give up on pulling nanners because every time they do, I take control of their nanners and within seconds, anyone passing by would think that the nanners were mine... except for the fact that I'm playing as Fox, Kirby, Olimar or someone else that isn't Diddy lol.

P.S. beware of pulling two nanners out if your opponent is playing as IC; picture both of your nanners being turned on you at the same time lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Okay. So instead of simply repeating "Diddy's nanerz can be used against him, so don't use them" we should really be asking the question, "Diddy's nanerz can be used against him, what can we do about it?". Nan3rz and AZ seem to have the right idea to be honest.

The key is to make them (And you) work together, to not let the opponent pick them up in the first place. Our opponents have moved past the whole "omg I slipped on a banana" stage and are actively using them against us, so we need to come up with a way to prevent this from happening.

The 2 most immediate (And already in use) methods that come to mind are:

1. Don't use the nanerz.
and
2. Pressure with the nanerz like there's no tommorow.

To be honest, both are equally viable ways of playing the little monkey, however, that does not mean to say there cannot be a new way to use them.

I think the idea of Glide Tossing Down is a very good start.

Veggi

Smash Champion
My friend is a good Diddy Kong, and I love playing in Team Matches with him because with a team, bananas wreck even more than with just Diddy Kong. I play Donkey Kong, and DK's glide toss is really good, plus with DK's down b, Diddy's bananas and having a giant punch about to hit them when Diddy makes an opening with side b or bananas I think the team is just too good.

Plus with their spikes and good horizontal recovery Jungle Japes is a good stage. All the platforms are good for setting things up too.

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
Diddy's dash attack is broken because it has the least lag in the game and is very difficult to shield grab. Dash to up smash works like a charm.

Top Bottom