• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banana Spam: The Diddy Players View

Player-1

Smash Legend
Well after winning a GB match today I was called a banana spammer (<3 johns) trying constantly to explain to my opponent how ******** he is being, i gave up (most of you have seen my vids and you all agree that i need more bananas =p).

This is an every day situation for me =]. So I decided to get other diddy player's point of view on it. So my questions...
What do you think of banana spam?
Do you care if you spam or not?
Do you think it's possible to banana spam?

Etc. Etc. Just post your view on it.

I'll post mine when i have time.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT A RANT THREAD OR A THREAD WHERE YOU COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, IT'S JUST A VIEW ON THE SUBJECT.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Why teh **** would you care player 1 lol?, I just fought a snake that just pressed B the entire match, each lasted over 6 minutes because he wouldn't stop camping and it just got so annoying. If they want to call it spamming, let them john instead of learning to pick them up

Luigi player

Smash Master
Hmm some people call me a banana spammer and it insults me a little =/ I don't really see it as the regular spam, it's an art. You don't just press a button like with other characters. And it has much more depth and the enemy can steal them too and you have to get them out first etc...

Btw, I wanted to make a topic like this too xD

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
it's an art. You don't just press a button like with other characters. And it has much more depth and the enemy can steal them too and you have to get them out first etc...
QFT
i wouldn't classify bananas as a spammable move and if you do classify it as a spammable move its one of the hardest move to spam seeing as how it can be easily turned against you. people just always look for rreasons to complain.

IDK

Smash Lord
well this topic is discussed a lot, so i'll add my two cents. First of all... you shouldn't care if you spam if it works. it's part of the game, they're a noob if they can't get by simple spam, and smash is a competitive game. If something works and is not banned, and can be exploited, it should be until someone figures out how to counter it or it gets banned. If something makes you win, do it.

The above would be true if bananas could be spammed. They really can't. They go away from you, you can only have two out at a time, you have to go get them, glide toss them, use them wisely, use them with timing, and know tons of techniques for their proper use.

He was probably also just pissed off because you beat him. Everyone in certain stages has been the king of johns, and said something completely idiotic because you are ashamed at your loss. It's just how it works. He may actually be someone who posted a post exactly like this one (mine), but just needed some excuse for loss.

Bananas are one of diddy's moves, maybe his best. If it is good, why just let it sit there? I'm sure if that person mained diddy... or bananas for that matter, (lol nanerz) he would have disagreed... with himself... just look at my location...

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Bannana's can be used against diddy by the opponent. There should be no reason for him to complain. Tell him to learn how to take control of diddy's bananas. If it becomes to bad for diddy he won't want to pull them out anymore. And there are characters that can use the banana better than diddy kong can.

Count

Smash Champion
Everybody calls me a spammer now, I don't care, it is impossible to spam when they can get and/or reflect the nanas. And you can only have two of them. There are plenty of ways around them. It is impossible to have a good rep if you play diddy, especially if you are a good diddy because I am 100th on gbs now and the majority of people give me **** feedback lately, since I actually almost always win now.

/edit and when I was losing, people would be all like use your bananas better, but would give me good feedback. The majority of people on there are idiots, true actual good smashers understand that nanas are part of diddy that you have to get around.

Luigi player

Smash Master
The funny thing is that most people that complain about banana spam are people that spam a move themselfes.

If they call me a banana spammer I could call them a jab spammer with Ike or a dsmash spammer if they are Wolf... Brawl is a spammer game =/ but I still don't see how Diddys bananas are spam.

I'd like to see the people who say that play as Diddy and spam bananas... I'm sure they couldn't do much with them...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For some reason most people don't complain about it against me. The only ones that do are bad.

Ironically I hear the most complaining from MK users, I think because they are so used to having easy match ups. They don't usually ever experience that helpless feeling of not being able to move.

did e

Smash Rookie
I more or less got called this the other night also. I was constantly working 2 bananas, and it came to this point that my opponent was like "Lets just play with items on if your going to keep spamming bananas". I actually agree with it. People playing friendly games just want to have fun. It is irritating to play against someone that camps, projectile spams, or tries to abuse everything possible.

I am playing the game with my friends. If they ask me to stop doing some asinine move; then I have no problem laying off it. I know any player has the right to push any buttons they want, but a little civility makes the game much more enjoyable. :ohwell:

Irsic

Smash Ace
lol, I just imagined AlphaZealots conversation:

MK User thinking: Omg...I lost...must have been spam.

My problem is with people who complain about spam is that if spam caused you your lost, ...you obviously didn't play very well because 'spam' is something that is predictable and should be easily countered...

Basically people who can't admit loss are dumb.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah people are stupid, bananas to some extent can be spammed and that can be easily stopped. Ive been ***** on numerous occasion due to " nana spam" while playing diddy. its only with glide tossing dribbling variants, and actual setups to where the bananas become very dangerous. And that isnt spam. its art like someone said before. Seriously what annoys me the most, is if i do great combo or something with anyone else with an item, ur called amazing, with diddy? just another spammer. ironically diddy is definitely one of the more technical characters as far as im concerned in higher level play. GET DAT POTASSIUM SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The only people who have called me a banana spammer were too stupid to try to use them against me, it's so easy to do, lol.

And some MKs, cuz they didn't **** me like they planned I guess.

ChemcialKirby

Smash Rookie
yea,i rember faceing one diddy,and i thought they were spaming becuse there woud aways be 2 on the gournd!
but maybe im just being a noob :p
i havn't seen a pro diddy

lol, I just imagined AlphaZealots conversation:

MK User thinking: Omg...I lost...must have been spam.

My problem is with people who complain about spam is that if spam caused you your lost, ...you obviously didn't play very well because 'spam' is something that is predictable and should be easily countered...

Basically people who can't admit loss are dumb.

thats what i say! XD

Slurpee

Smash Rookie
Bananas require too much strategy and effort to "spam". They are a strategy, and a good thing. And we all know, you can't get too much of a good thing :D

Xionix

Smash Journeyman
no, i definitely spam my bananas in everyone's faces, sometimes using them solely to rack up damage. SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM! live with it! sort of like putting up with mk's tornado.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice
if you get predictable with the "banana spam" then it kinda sucks, you need to use midgames with makes it much different than regular spamming. =/

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Regardless of wheter or not you try to mix up your moves. You will always be called the "Banana Spammer" because thats what most Diddy players do most of the time. I mix up my moves like using the Peanut Gun for distraction/edgeguarding. Sometimes the Nair helps for edgeguarding since it has a nice hitbox and when it hits them. The character is flying up, giving you more time to pull out your banana peels. (If you didnt have any out on the field that is)

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Bananas are not foolproof. Anyone can pick them up.
So instead of opponents whining about us spamming them.
They should be picking them up and use them for themselves.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
i do agree alot of mk users complain about banans. ive only seen me and a few others that dont.

i guess i cant cause i wen to a nyc weekly and played 4 diddy kongs and won against them all the only one i didn't play was Ninjalink

DUB

Smash Lord
Constantly throwing naners at someone does sound a lot like spam though........ but I likes it.

Tonyrocks67

Smash Rookie
I don't think it really is possible to spam bananas because there are only 2 of them on the field at a time. And about the you can use the bananas against them, good diddy's won't let you use your bananas against you let alone breathe. Because your opponent can't do anything about it is why they just call it spam and not good mindgames and great technical skill.

Trela

Smash Lord
My Diddy is banned from the friendlies with my family and friends, LOLZ!

When you try to say to them "It's not spamming. It's merely how you use Diddy.", they Shrug, blink their eyes, and reban you.

Freaken Diddy haterz.

=Trela=

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
What do you think of banana spam?--- If your not doing it, your not diddy konging right

Do you care if you spam or not? I care. But by that I mean I care if for some reason im not doing it enough.

Do you think it's possible to banana spam? O god yes.

Obviously im being alittle silly but honestly -bannanas are diddys best aspect and if you can win using them do it! Hey at least its not meta knight.

---

EDIT: O and it definitely ***IS*** possible to spam bannanas even if you only can get two of them. When the majority of your attacks are bannanas it really doesnt matter how many you can get out-you are abusing a move, most likely forward glidetoss. Its no different then say overusing snakes ftilt if you overuse a forward glide toss. Both are simply an attack, just because yours involves an item doesnt make it not spam

DevinAmir1

Smash Rookie
It surely is spam, brawl is a game of spam, spam is the way to play in Brawl..

Just because you do "mindgames" with the spam, and just because it is "hard to do" that doesn't mean it isn't spam.

And let's not say "at least it's not meta" or whatever because its not really a matter of us Vs. meta spammers, it's everyone spamming. Meta may be overpowered to you, but be sure to remember that Diddy doesn't suck at all, and is a god compared to my old mains. So to many of the characters in this game, Diddy is also overpowered.

I don't care about spamming in brawl, but a Diddy nana spammer called my ROB a camp spammer and a coward, and that is a major hypocrisy. Especially considering that I've found nanas and gyors/lasers just as "difficult" to use. (Not at all)

There is a general trend of characters with more techniques available to them being better than others who lack these techniques (such as my old main, and good friend the Captain Falcon). The only exception to this seems to be Metaknight.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Hmm some people call me a banana spammer and it insults me a little =/ I don't really see it as the regular spam, it's an art. You don't just press a button like with other characters. And it has much more depth and the enemy can steal them too and you have to get them out first etc...

Btw, I wanted to make a topic like this too xD
It's still spam. Just because it's a bit harder to do doesn't make it different *******.

Skyflyer

Smash Journeyman
Bananas require too much strategy and effort to "spam". They are a strategy, and a good thing. And we all know, you can't get too much of a good thing :D
Learning curve doesn't change the fact that it's spam you freaking moron.

DUB

Smash Lord
If only Diddy had a tornado..........

Would you call Snake's mines spam Skyflyer? They are to be strategically placed in areas to manipulate the other players movements. Hay wait! That sounds a lot like bananas!

Mith_

Smash Champion
Banana Spam?

No.

Like some others said, there is an art to keeping your Bananas out, and your opponent can even pick them up. They come out behind you, and you can only have two out at a time. I think Diddy is the only character with a "spammable" move that shouldn't really be classified as "spam" because you actually have to think about what you are doing, as opposed to Pit and Lucario and others.

Yes, the bananas are VERY annoying, but if your opponent it too dense to powershield and pick up the banana then they need to l2p.

Btw, where in GA do you stay Player 1?

Top Bottom