• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit

Smash Ace
This looks totally amazing and I would love to give it a try, but to be brutally honest I seem to be too stupid to figure out how to put it correctly on my SD card.

If someone would be willing to make a video tutorial of how to set this up I would love you forever.
I don't know, it can't get much simpler than the four steps on the front page:

1. Place the files in the correct structure on the SD card. A .zip archive is available for download that will automatically place all files correctly (be sure you put the contents of the folder "Balanced Brawl" in the SD card, not the folder itself), but if you wish to do it manually, put the gameconfig.txt and the boot.elf file in the root of the SD card, rsbe01.gct in a folder named codes, and smash stack as the only file in the folder private/wii/app/rsbe/st
2. Delete all custom stages from your Wii, including the three that came with Brawl by default. If you wish to save any stages, back them to your computer or a second SD card.
3. Boot up Brawl and go to the stage builder. Press A to "Launch Game" when prompted. Brawl should restart.
4. Remove the SD card and enjoy Balanced Brawl! Failure to remove the SD card may result in crashing on the stage select screen. (this isn't entirely necessary anymore)
Are you confused about any of those steps, or suspect you're doing something wrong? Are you sure you downloaded the correct files?

Make an autoupdater like Brawl+ for the dummies. :V

(Then tell us how to do it! xD)
The auto-updater they have is basically the same thing as the .zip file BBrawl provides. The auto-updater just puts the files required into the root of your SD card. For BBrawl, get the .zip file, unzip it, and copy paste the files into the root of your SD card yourself. It's not hard, I promise >.>

Zero_Saber

Smash Apprentice
I feel dumb I actually got it to work (although this is like my 7th time trying it), for some reason this time it worked. Thanks Mit (even if all you really did was copy and paste for whatever reason seeing it again helped)!

And a minor question how does one go from Bbrawl back to normal?

Mit

Smash Ace
I feel dumb I actually got it to work (although this is like my 7th time trying it), for some reason this time it worked. Thanks Mit (even if all you really did was copy and paste for whatever reason seeing it again helped)!

And a minor question how does one go from Bbrawl back to normal?
Reset, and don't load BBrawl through the custom stage creator. BBrawl is only loaded onto your Wii temporarily for as long as it remains powered on. Once your Wii shuts down or is reset (although, I'm not sure if resetting actually works. You might have to power down or return to the Wii menu and reload Brawl), BBrawl is flushed from memory.

You will have to load it through the Custom Stage Creator every time you want to use it. If you want to use Custom Stage Creator again, simply take the files off of your SD card and resume playing Brawl as if you never had BBrawl in the first place.

Zero_Saber

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again Mit! So far I am digging the wifi training room as a place to fight and the added effects to characters. It is kinda sad how excited I am :p

Dismojoe

Smash Apprentice
Uhhh. Brawl+ and BBrawl are at the same level of ease of installation.

Actually. Scratch that.

Brawl+ is EASIER to install because we have an auto-installer/updater program for PC and a Brawl+ updater/installer application for Homebrew Channel.

So you can play B+ with or without homebrew with no more than a download, a double click, and like...3 inputs from the keyboard or a few button presses on your controller.

If you're following a tutorial to install Brawl+ manually with no prior experience, then you're doing it wrong.

Thanks for the compliment though. :V
Meh, I followed the steps right off the installation guide from the Brawl+ website, and there is some step that says you load up gecko and then play. But when I go to the stage builder, nothing happens...it works fine for BBrawl though.

Mit

Smash Ace
Meh, I followed the steps right off the installation guide from the Brawl+ website, and there is some step that says you load up gecko and then play. But when I go to the stage builder, nothing happens...it works fine for BBrawl though.
Could be that you loaded the incorrect options through their installer, as you have to specify whether you're going to load through homebrew or no homebrew. Or it might not have worked.

I know I sat there while it downloaded all those textures, then loaded it up and absolutely no textures were working.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Did you do it manually or automatically? >_>

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have homebrew channel, then using Smash Stack is your only option. It uses an abnormally large custom stage (look carefully, the smash stack stage is 64kB while your usual garden variety stages are only around 6-9kB) to crash the game and launch the boot.elf that's in the root of an SD card. This boot.elf launched Gecko, which temporarily "patches" the game with the code modifications made by the developers. I think that the patch will be gone even if you just go to the Wii Menu, no need to reset your Wii (unsure about this).

Because of the corrupted custom stage, it would crash Brawl if you went to the stage selection screen because, well, it's corrupted. Therefore taking it out of the Wii before going to stage selection is required, else it'll crash your game.

However, if you have Homebrew, stack smash isn't required. You can run Gecko by yourself without this hack, and you can take out the corrupted custom stage from your SD. Just find the 64kB sized file and delete it (but you still need the codes folder and the RSBE01.gct file inside it!). Then you install Gecko OS on your SD card (go find out how to do this yourself), and go to the homebrew channel, launch gecko OS, and proceed as usual.

Thing is, if you use the first method of smash stack, you won't be able to play custom stages on BBrawl. At all. Therefore, I'd suggest you use smash stack to install the HBC, then install gecko on your SD. Anyone who can play BBrawl using this method is able to install the HBC, so that they can play BBrawl on their custom stages as well.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
In short, click on your .ZIP file, if the only thing you see inside is "Balanced Brawl", click that, then click "Extract All" and choose "F:\" NOTHING MORE (replace "F" with your SD Card drive letter)

Pop it into your Wii. Load Brawl. Immediately go to Custom Stages. You'll get a brown frame and black background.

Select "Launch Game". If it says "SD Codes found. Applying," it's all good.

NNID
Budget_Player
The auto-updater they have is basically the same thing as the .zip file BBrawl provides. The auto-updater just puts the files required into the root of your SD card. For BBrawl, get the .zip file, unzip it, and copy paste the files into the root of your SD card yourself. It's not hard, I promise >.>
Yes, but some people are very, very stupid when it comes to that last step. Or the second step. :laugh:

nabs_shaw

Smash Rookie
Could someone please give me a quick tutorial on running BBrawl on a PAL system (if it's possible, it states that it is)? My current format on my SD card is a 'codes' fodler, containing RSBE01.gct, the bin file within root>private>wii>apps>rsbe>st, and gameconfig.txt and boot.elf in the root folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mit

Smash Ace
Btw, is there a .gct file that also allows music hacks for brawl in addition to textures, or does the current one already include it?
Browse through the first post again and look for the download list on Mediafire. There's an alternate file that has the File Replacement code to allow for custom textures and music and whatnot.

Could someone please give me a quick tutorial on running BBrawl on a PAL system (if it's possible, it states that it is)? My current format on my SD card is a 'codes' fodler, containing RSBE01.gct, the bin file within root>private>wii>apps>rsbe>st, and gameconfig.txt and boot.elf in the root folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
To run BBrawl on PAL systems you do have to have the Homebrew Channel on your Wii with Gecko to load the codes. You cannot use the Smash Stack method which doesn't require the homebrew channel. I do not unfortunately have a tutorial for you to do this, you'll probably want to research that outside of this thread.

nabs_shaw

Smash Rookie
To run BBrawl on PAL systems you do have to have the Homebrew Channel on your Wii with Gecko to load the codes. You cannot use the Smash Stack method which doesn't require the homebrew channel. I do not unfortunately have a tutorial for you to do this, you'll probably want to research that outside of this thread.
Thanks for trying to help, I've been trying to run it through the Homebrew Channel, but am struggling with it, I've had Brawl+ running through it, but this doesn't seem to work the same way.

nabs_shaw

Smash Rookie
You need RSBP01, not RSBE.
Mmm, I worked this out reasonably soon after my first post, but still have yet to have any luck.
Am I right in saying that RSBP01 should be in the code folder, which is in the root folder of my SD card?
With regard to executing BBrawl,am I to have my SD card in prior to starting the console, go to Homebrew Channel from the Wii menu, and select BBrawl?
Thanks for helping out.

Mit

Smash Ace
Mmm, I worked this out reasonably soon after my first post, but still have yet to have any luck.
Am I right in saying that RSBP01 should be in the code folder, which is in the root folder of my SD card?
With regard to executing BBrawl,am I to have my SD card in prior to starting the console, go to Homebrew Channel from the Wii menu, and select BBrawl?
Thanks for helping out.
When you used Brawl+ did you just use the installer?

It sounds like you might not have Gecko? You need the Gecko app to load up from the Homebrew Channel. From there, Gecko will identify your RSBP01 file and apply the codes to the game and start up BBrawl.

nabs_shaw

Smash Rookie
When you used Brawl+ did you just use the installer?

It sounds like you might not have Gecko? You need the Gecko app to load up from the Homebrew Channel. From there, Gecko will identify your RSBP01 file and apply the codes to the game and start up BBrawl.
I used GeckoOS to boot Brawl+, so from what i have gathered I need to use the installer, which from memory is using the ELF or BOOT file, and going to the Channels section of data management, and going to SD card. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall doing this for Brawl+, and haven't tried it with BBrawl.

zagman505

Smash Cadet
Is there any way that I could modify the code or something so that the stage changes are not implemented for my BBrawl? Or, even better, can somebody tell me how to pick and choose which stage modifications to implement? I'm very interested in the changes made to balance the characters and stuff, but my friends and I aren't exactly tournament oriented and would rather play stages in their original form. So while changing stage speeds like in Mushroomy Kingdom or Pictochat would still be good, I don't think that most of my friends would really like the changes to Spear Pillar or Temple, where apparently parts of the stage were made basically inaccessible. Thanks for the help!

JOE!

Smash Hero
you know, there should be a seperate thread for all this tech help.

alot of these Q's have just been asked over and over and the same answers just dilute the thread's current conversations...

on that note, who should we discuss now?

Lucario?

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
:lucario:
Dash attack sweetspot damage (10%) -> (11%)
Dash attack sourspot damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward tilt strange hitbox damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward tilt first hit damage (5%) -> (6%)
Forward tilt second hit damage (8%) -> (9%)
Down tilt damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward smash sweetspot (far) damage (16%) -> (17%)
Forward smash sourspot (close) damage (14%) -> (15%)
Down smash damage (14%) -> (15%)
Up smash sweetspot damage (13%) -> (14%)
Up smash sourspot (late) damage (9%) -> (10%)
Force Palm projectile close damage (10%) -> (15%), knockback (60/50) -> (60/60)
Force Palm projectile mid damage (9%) -> (12%), knockback (60/50) -> (60/60)
Force Palm projectile far damage (8%) -> (10%)

IMO Lucario is fine. He can pull great strings, has nice hitboxes allowing pesudo WoPs, has the Aura, a nice projectile, awsome wall cling+jump, and crawl. D-air. Floaty (resist combos) though can get juggled cause of this (Dair helps). Vunerable when using Up-B and he is a tad sluggish on the start up of many of his moves. Also the given drawbacks/strengths of Aura.

So I say he is balanced but Lets go to the Mains and GO!!!!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
the more i learn, the more i think ivysaur is still pretty terrible, at least against opponents that realize ivy has massive blindspots in the air and lacks anything to consistently punish powershield approaches, which is a serious flaw when you consider ivysaur hardly has anything that can be considered safe on shield. bair if you land immediately after. dtilt if they don't expect it. that's about it. ivysaur definitely does not beat snake as you guys (AA and thinkaman) suggest, the bair buff hardly matters in this matchup because snake should never be approaching through the air, it's still unsafe on shield in most cases, and it still cannot knock snake out of cipher. snake's camp game is still as powerful as ever and ivysaur's is still as terrible as it was before. ivy is in a bad position if snake simply walks forward and powershields when necessary. and ivy cannot KO snake without a decent read (which is true in the vast majority of ivy matchups). ivy also struggles to outdamage snake. don't forget that snake's tilts outrange bullet seed. and then consider the fact that charizard still has a horrendous matchup with snake (outcamped, outspaced, and grab -> dthrow is devastating) then you really only have squirtle to reliably kill with (and really only with a fresh dthrow near the edge of the stage, at that), who gets fatigued easily and dies quite early.

damage buffs aren't enough to balance some characters. ivysaur is one of them; it simply has too many flaws, which individually are bad news but together made one of the worst characters in the game. the recovery is somewhat improved but ivy's on stage game is still lacking.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucario can't score a kill easily, that's imo his main flaw. None of his KO moves are particularly fast. He's sorta like G&W in a sense, in that he has some super safe strings and spacers, only he's more defensive and campy.

He's definitely a solid character at any rate, and a completely unwinnable matchup for Ganondorf.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
imo, lucario is a well-made character: not only the aura effect is more than just unique, but he has good zoning, combos and air speed.

I'm not sure if increasing his kill power is fine, because of the aura effect he'll be on top pretty easy, and everyone (specially guys with trouble killing) would fear him badly if the player has good DI.
vLucario has few bad matchups, and most of them (but Snake?) were very DI dependant due to the aura effect. (not sure about that, I'm not too high-level, but I have good imagination =P).
He only struggles with killing, only "reliable" kill is Dair, but it's very punishable if fails.

Anyways, I'd say that make him better at damaging could be a best idea. Aura will eventually solve the kill problems, he only needs a way to really get up there.

Again, that's just in my opinion.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
How many BBrawl tournies have occured? I want to get it started in Ohio, but I'm afraid people are just gonna come and use their high tier favs...

Hypernon

Smash Rookie
Balanced Brawl needs a video archive on smashboards. I think that would be a good step towards spreading this clearly superior version of Brawl ;). I'm sure we'd get some good videos.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
-Hyperon: we'd need people with time and dedication (and tools?) nesecessary... I lack of time to play with friends (and tools to upload good videos =P).

Off-topic (kinda), here we use to do weeklies, and after a while unless them, we finally restablished it (I'm the TO). Anyways, when we was about half of the tourney, I told them about BBrawl.
-"That's unnecessary"
-"It's fine like it is" (by one of our most successful palyers... a MK...)
-"I'd won't like to relearn it" (by a guy that 3-stocked me once lol)
-"If the moves are more useful, you'll use them different than normal Brawl, and whenever you play with any other people (like saying "in a real tournament"), they'll be again as useless as before" (another success guy... another MK...)
just to say some quotes.
I said them that we could TEST it after the tourney, they didn't said anything, but they went away before anything else could be said.
I was so sad... And I'm still in a mid-mood... =(

Mit

Smash Ace
-Hyperon: we'd need people with time and dedication (and tools?) nesecessary... I lack of time to play with friends (and tools to upload good videos =P).

Off-topic (kinda), here we use to do weeklies, and after a while unless them, we finally restablished it (I'm the TO). Anyways, when we was about half of the tourney, I told them about BBrawl.
-"That's unnecessary"
-"It's fine like it is" (by one of our most successful palyers... a MK...)
-"I'd won't like to relearn it" (by a guy that 3-stocked me once lol)
-"If the moves are more useful, you'll use them different than normal Brawl, and whenever you play with any other people (like saying "in a real tournament"), they'll be again as useless as before" (another success guy... another MK...)
just to say some quotes.
I said them that we could TEST it after the tourney, they didn't said anything, but they went away before anything else could be said.
I was so sad... And I'm still in a mid-mood... =(
Sounds like you were talking to the wrong people.

It's probably a more dirty way of doing it, but it'd probably be better to try and convince everyone who plays other characters and tries to play the game for fun to get into BBrawl. Build a scene through them. Then the tier-whores will see what it's about.

Eventually if the scene grows enough you can start having tourneys with cash prizes, and the tier-whores will gain interest then, because it's more money they can win.

This, however, would be a very ideal progression that'd be very hard to get going, short of becoming your own tournament organizer.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
:lucario:
Dash attack sweetspot damage (10%) -> (11%)
Dash attack sourspot damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward tilt strange hitbox damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward tilt first hit damage (5%) -> (6%)
Forward tilt second hit damage (8%) -> (9%)
Down tilt damage (7%) -> (8%)
Forward smash sweetspot (far) damage (16%) -> (17%)
Forward smash sourspot (close) damage (14%) -> (15%)
Down smash damage (14%) -> (15%)
Up smash sweetspot damage (13%) -> (14%)
Up smash sourspot (late) damage (9%) -> (10%)
Force Palm projectile close damage (10%) -> (15%), knockback (60/50) -> (60/60)
Force Palm projectile mid damage (9%) -> (12%), knockback (60/50) -> (60/60)
Force Palm projectile far damage (8%) -> (10%)

IMO Lucario is fine. He can pull great strings, has nice hitboxes allowing pesudo WoPs, has the Aura, a nice projectile, awsome wall cling+jump, and crawl. D-air. Floaty (resist combos) though can get juggled cause of this (Dair helps). Vunerable when using Up-B and he is a tad sluggish on the start up of many of his moves. Also the given drawbacks/strengths of Aura.

So I say he is balanced but Lets go to the Mains and GO!!!!
He has his D air to prevent being juggled.
and if you think hes open after his recovery try Zelda.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Adm's location makes me afraid...

anywho, as for the tier whores, why on earth did you decide to ask the Meta Knight players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom