• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Are we done talking about Pit now? Or does anyone else feels that he needs something else changed.

CarVac

Smash Journeyman
Random character time: Wolf. I have basically no experience with human Wolf players, I'm just suggesting discussing someone that I haven't really seen mentioned at all.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Wolf was the worst good character before, because he got gayed by any thing you could name... With all of those things gone, he really is a decent character.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I was of the opinion that Wolf was slightly worse than Fox in vBrawl, and that with the gay stuff on both of them fully removed Fox would still keep the lead. I still feel this way, but with his buffs it is probably pretty close. By all means the UpB and Nair buff don't seem important, but it's hard to judge since I havent played a Wolf in BBrawl even online (where he would shine no doubt heh). I like to assume he's in the lower threshold of the cast at the time, but probably close enough to do without buffs I would wager. Maybe something small if this sentiment is shared; I dont feel strongly enough about him to argue for some more compensation.

Loste

Smash Rookie
Hello, nice work! I think that i'm going to play Balanced Brawl with my friends this weekend, i tested it and works fine, but i have one question.

Is it possible to add custom music to Balanced Brawl using the Stage Boot?

I tried to put the .brstm file in my private\wii\app\rsbe\pf\sound\strm SD directory

but it didn't work, what should i do?

JOE!

Smash Hero
i thought wolf was considered worse due to the gay crap you could do to him, Escalator?

remember he was once considered high tier?

i wouldnt be surprised if he is in the higher end now as Fox wasnt xactly changed, and Wolf was buffed, along with removal of shenannigans

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yeah, I really think that Wolf has everything he needs right now and unless we have a Wolf main in here that feels otherwise.

And I think we should make a thread for BBrawl Help so that way we can keep the dicussion in here and have people that need help in that thread?

@Loste:
Make sure that it's named properly and that you have the .gct with file code replacement

NovaRyumaru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NovaRyumaru
Yeah, I really think that Wolf has everything he needs right now and unless we have a Wolf main in here that feels otherwise.

And I think we should make a thread for BBrawl Help so that way we can keep the dicussion in here and have people that need help in that thread?

@Loste:
Make sure that it's named properly and that you have the .gct with file code replacement
Really, i think Wolf has one issue, but it's more of an annoyance than crippling. The poor ledge grab from his upB, it doesn't snap to a ledge but rather works like Dedede's uncanceled up-b in that you'll zip just pastthe ledge or at it, but not grab it and fall.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Wait, you mean that thing where it feels Wolf has a ton of lag on his UpB after just passing the ledge while the lag prevents you from grabbing the ledge causing your immediate demise. Ive always hated that.
HIT HA WHHHOOOO!!
I think Wolf is fine, just his recovery is lacking but that balances out.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
i thought wolf was considered worse due to the gay crap you could do to him, Escalator?
Uh... Did you not know Fox suffers from similar, arguably worse shenanigans? ZSS/Pika/etc?

remember he was once considered high tier?
Irrelevant; he was overrated in vBrawl before the silly stuff on him became well known/known and prior tiering isnt necessarily accurate. Even without it he isn't suddenly great.

i wouldnt be surprised if he is in the higher end now as Fox wasnt xactly changed, and Wolf was buffed, along with removal of shenannigans
Fox imo is better than Wolf regardless of shenanigans, but you have to remember Fox also got buffed through removal of the terrible things on him. Wolf did get some other buffs though, as I mentioned in my assessment, so I don't think it's obvious that one is better than the other. Either way I dont think either one is particularly noteworthy in BBrawl.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Uh... Did you not know Fox suffers from similar, arguably worse shenanigans? ZSS/Pika/etc?
as does wolf, from the same stuff...+ chaingrabs from others due to his weight (fox weighs A LOT less)

Irrelevant; he was overrated in vBrawl before the silly stuff on him became well known/known and prior tiering isnt necessarily accurate. Even without it he isn't suddenly great.
He wasnt necesarilly overrated, he actually has above average (guess we'll call them stats) in all departments sans recovery.

Once the gay crap was discovered on him he plummeted

Fox imo is better than Wolf regardless of shenanigans, but you have to remember Fox also got buffed through removal of the terrible things on him. Wolf did get some other buffs though, as I mentioned in my assessment, so I don't think it's obvious that one is better than the other. Either way I dont think either one is particularly noteworthy in BBrawl.
Look at it this way:

Wolf vs Fox is even in vBrawl. Wolf had better MUs that fox in vBrawl regardless of certain shenanigans due to the fact he has a great moveset. Wolf is lower than fox because he suffers from more gay things than foxes fewer *gayer* things.

In BBrawl, the gay factor is removed, so each of these two naturally move up.

Wolf retains a great moveset that got buffed even. Fox benifits in the same ways wolf does, but did not get his moveset buffed aside from a small damage buff to his Illusion/shine?

It would seem logical that wolf can now beat fox as his moveset got better, in an even Matchup. Without gayness, wolf isnt held back and can let his improved moveset shine even more, unlike fox who has to go against buffed characters with only a handicap removed.. and not much else.

In short, I think that in BBrawl Wolf > Fox

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
His FTilt still has godly range, he's got an ok projectile game, he's got a great recovery. his Utilt is a quick killing move, his smashes can kill at low percents.

No. No DDD does not need help.
He has range of course, but he is still relatively slow. His size and fall speed (fastest in the game) allows characters to combo and even juggle him pretty easily. While he has the new tech chasing downthrow his lack of chaingrab hurts him. His infinities are also gone opening the door for new characters to challenge him with great authority (Mario/Samus) and makes it even worse that they got buffs while DDD himself is left unchanged.

All im saying is that there is the possibility that DDD may have fallen behind and should be looked at now before it can become a problem.

I would appreciate anyone who could ellaborate in their opinion DDD's current status in BBrawl.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
His FTilt still has godly range, he's got an ok projectile game, he's got a great recovery. his Utilt is a quick killing move, his smashes can kill at low percents.

DDD's F-tilt is blockable on reaction, he can't actually projectile camp against anyone who doesn't take dumb commitments, his recovery is alright but SUPER punishable, and his U-tilt is SUPER telegraphed and very difficult to land on conservative players, and his Smashes are for the most part not viable moves. Without his chaingrab, he no longer is able to do reliable massive damage to compensate for his extreme lack of any reliable KO moves.

Yes, he probably needs help. I personally think he's worse off than most characters in this game. The best grab can only do so much if all your throws can do is tack on bits of damage. He has trouble actually utilizing most of his movepool effectively on stage since he can't actually approach with his crap mobility and huge stature. I mean, he's obviously not bottom tier since he doesn't get autogimped and he can shieldgrab like a homo. But that's basically all that's going for him.

Changes I want to see to Marth:
+1 to throws. both a buff and a nerf, this should remove a few chaingrabs that Marth has on certain characters like Falco. Possibility of losing F-throw to F-smash exists, but Marth should also appreciate a slight knockback increase on his Up-throw for emergency KOs
-3 to all versions of the last hit of Dancing Blade. Tell me why this move doesn't deserve it. <_<

Change I want to see on G&W:
-1 to first four hits of B-air, +1 to last hit. The theory I have behind this is to unpolarize certain matchups he does really well in, and to help his harder matchups. The reduced damage means that people who are constantly pressured to death by this attack should survive longer. On the flipside, the reduced damage means it is harder to SDI, which makes it harder for say Marth to SDI and punish it, and the final hit getting a damage buff would go some way to help get Marth offstage.

Change I want to see on Snake:
-4 to D-throw, +1 to all other throws.Mostly a nerf, but this should encourage more variety to Snake's grab game.

Change I want to see on Falco:
D-tilt knockback increased. This is mostly a useless move due to Falco having better, safer options, but seeing that Falco lacks solid KO options, he should get another viable option.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head for balancing characters.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Agreed. His smashes kill at ridiculously low damages, and most moves of his have a high launching power, like MK, but nobody complains about him :mad:

K.Mac

Smash Lord
I can't wait to stick this on an SD card and give it a go.

I can't guarantee it'll work (what with me being a PAL player, so possibly expect noob rageposting in a while about me forgetting to boot it via Gecko) but either way I'm still going to applaud everyone who got involved in this for making something that I thought Brawl couldn't do - balanced gameplay.

I'm disappointed that you removed Yoshi's chaingrab (what with being a Yoshi user, that was one of the highlights of me playing amongst my friends) but you've done a lot to even it out, so I'll play and see :D

also for the record Marth probably does need a nerf. Marth vs. Yoshi is such a bad matchup for the poor dino. Unless the various changes give him more capability to get through Marth's range and get him offstage, of course.

(I'm going to need a 3rd SD card. woo.)

Loste

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to put custom musics in Balanced Brawl, does anyone here know how to do it?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Agreed. His smashes kill at ridiculously low damages, and most moves of his have a high launching power, like MK, but nobody complains about him :mad:
uhm, you forgot the fact that his smashes either have low range or down-syndrome amounts of lag

@yoshi vs marf:

it seriously isnt that bad, especially now with the dsmash buff he is alot more manageable.

also, just throing this out here but egg lay has more range than you'd think ;)

Linkshot

Smash Hero
He's comparing to the amount of lag in the brain.

It's not supposed to be funny. It's a comparison.

@Loste: All you need is the File Replacement GCT. Make sure you're naming the song files correctly.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dude, chill out.

I myself am a student diagnosed with a learning disability, and I don't find that particularly offensive.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Come on, he was just trying to compare it to something. It shouldn't offend you so much. It's not like he was hating on down syndrome kids.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I wasnt trying to be funny, i was simply making a comparison.

Anywho, we never really came up with a solid idea for what to do with sonic?

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I wasnt trying to be funny, i was simply making a comparison.

Anywho, we never really came up with a solid idea for what to do with sonic?
Maybe give him more KO moves, it sure seems like he could use a couple more, as his up-A smash does almost nothing and most of his moves are really weak.

JOE!

Smash Hero
his Usmash is an OK approach actually...

it has an odd hitbox and his speed makes one hel of a hyphen smash.

it also eats shields somewhat.

I say we buff his damaging abilities in a similar fashion to what we did with yoshi's tilts:

more damage, less KB to compensate. It will get him to those KO % much quicker, and still have the character weakness of trouble KO's

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
his Usmash is an OK approach actually...

it has an odd hitbox and his speed makes one hel of a hyphen smash.

it also eats shields somewhat.

I say we buff his damaging abilities in a similar fashion to what we did with yoshi's tilts:

more damage, less KB to compensate. It will get him to those KO % much quicker, and still have the character weakness of trouble KO's
Ah...forgot about that. He could use those buffs BIG TIME

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I still think the best thing that can be done to make Sonic viable is to allow his B-throw to kill from the center of FD in training mode at like 160 or 170ish percent.

I mean it's currently not a kill move in any shape or form, although it's his "best" throw for KOs.

K.Mac

Smash Lord
It's a shame that the trailers Nintendo did for Sonic made him look like an epic combo-building character, and he turned out to be quite the opposite. :[

I'd really hoped he'd have been a high-tier character, but it wasn't to be. To hear "omg sonic is sooooooo broken" instead of MK would have been hillarious. :bee:

Now... Diddy on the other hand.... just WHY did Nintendo add him? NOBODY wanted him. and what's worse - he's GOOD. D:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Are you honestly telling me that you never played DK64, or Donkey Kong Country games for that matter?

K.Mac

Smash Lord
Are you honestly telling me that you never played DK64, or Donkey Kong Country games for that matter?
I've played Diddy Kong Racing, and I'm not going to tell you the amount of times I rebooted the N64 just to stop Diddy from driving as an AI in joint adventure mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom