• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm the only person who says Ike is bad?

Rykoshet, ONE OF THE PLAYTESTERS FOR THIS GAME also says Ike is bad.

Want to know the jist of what he said? QD isn't a big deal. It's predictable and committed, and doesn't really solve Ike's onstage problems that much, and Metaknight STILL ***** Ike's recovery even with the QD buff and zones the crap out of Ike.

Ike's Jab is not that good. It's unsafe on block, and you can shieldgrab it at any range due to Ike extending his hurtbox when he does it. It's not unrealistically hard to do this either, since Ike's Jab sequence is one of the slower ones in this game.

Ike's F-air sucks. It's powershieldable on reaction. I really shouldn't have to explain why this sucks for Ike. In fact ALL OF IKE'S AERIALS EXCEPT B-AIR are easily powershielded on reaction.

Ike is the third worst character in standard Brawl, and giving him a buff on a move that doesn't increase his horrible safety onstage is not enough to solve his problems. The QD buff does very little to help Ike juggle anyone for the most part. He still can't realistically juggle anyone that doesn't suck. It DOES allow him to edgeguard with a weak attack though.

Most importantly Ike CANNOT APPROACH YOU IN ANY SAFE WAY and his walling is defeated consistently by matchup knowledge.

All QD does is make Ike not U-throw juggled for free, and lets him actually hit people offstage.

Now tell me, is it really going to make Ike too good if his B-air is sped up so that he can do it twice in a fullhop, and so that it's consistently safe on normal block?

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Yes, because I know absolutely nothing about my character.

You seriously overrate Lucas' F-smash. Just camp the **** guy and he can't do anything. Even A2ZOMG thought Lucas was a good character until he actually played him and realized how fundamentally flawed he was. There's are reason why the community hates the EarthBound boys and there's an extreme novelty effect when fighting them b/c no one has Lucas experience. Once you get Lucas experience, you find out how easy it is to play against them. Let's compare his F-smash to someone else who's BBrawl's standard: Gdubs. They both have relatively slow smashes, (F-smash have the same frame IIRC) however, Gdubs has three good killing smashes that are all extremely safe on sheild and kill around the same time Lucas' do. Lucas has F-smash that is really unsafe on sheild and D-smash and U-smash are lol-tastic. You also overrate Lucas "boxing" game. To even play that game, you have to assume that he's even able to get that close and isn't being sheild wh0red. Lucas has about -1 range on his jab. Then that's assuming he can only attack grounded opponets. But now he has to deal with Marth and MK who approach from the air. How does Lucas get around being zoned by them? If they retreat Lucas can't do anything and is being pressured to the ledge. Once they gimp him from his double jump, Lucas can do litteraly nothing but wait to die.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Lucas's F-smash is frame 14, 1 frame faster than G&W's D-smash, but that really doesn't matter. It's blockable on reaction and it's technically one of the shortest ranged F-smashes in the game.

Also Lucas's boxing game is just average at best. 2 frame Jabs are cool for interrupting stuff, but Lucas doesn't have a solid mixup game. Mario or Luigi for instance when THEY Jab you (and sweetspots), they get a frame advantage that leads to unblockable strings into other powerful moves. When Lucas Jabs you? He has to just make the best of what little damage he gets from a normal Jab sequence. This doesn't mean that he can't Jab cancel you into stuff occasionally, but it's VERY unsafe for him to do this. If I do recall, Mario and ESPECIALLY Luigi's Jab combos also have more range.

And again to give you an idea how many problems this character has, Jigglypuff, a character that nobody cares about, CLEARLY beats Lucas at least 6/4, and I say this with complete confidence after actually playing the matchup against my friend's Jigglypuff. What are Lucas's problems again? His aerials don't kill early (and he sucks at juggling), his best kill moves are unsafe ground moves, and his recovery has a lot of commitment. Plus he is poor at punishing retreats hard and does not have a reliable camp game. To be honest I don't know why people say Jigglypuff is bottom tier in standard Brawl, but besides that, Jigglypuff is everything that Lucas hates. She avoids all his ground moves easily, OUTCAMPS him with superior spacing and zoning tools, and gimps him VERY EASILY. If Jigglypuff was a midweight, she would probably be an extremely hard counter for Lucas. Lucas is just that limited against those kinds of tools.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Gdubs D-smash is frame 15 IIRC. And Lucas F-smash has very short range.

Edit: Whoops I just restated what A2ZOMG said.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W's D-smash is frame 15. My memory is better than yours. =P

Oh how broken G&W would be though if his D-smash was in fact frame 12 or faster...not that he isn't already amazingly good.

camzy

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with A2ZOMG.

I play Ike as a strong secondary and his weaknesses are really making me turn away from him. While he's got great range and a good jab, he still can't approach safely. Mobility isn't one of his big problems, it's his recovery. A good Ike can make his way around a stage just fine with SHNairs. His FAir is a defense tool not offense because it's less punishable while moving backwards. His BAir is his only legitimate approach and that too has obvious drawbacks. The problem is that he only needs to take one aerial offstage and it's sayonara. QD > Aether won't save him most of the time and 90% of the cast are capable of hitting him in the air safely. He needs more buffs. I think an improved counter would help immensely. It's easy to overwhelm Ike and a better, faster counter will do him a world of good as a GTFO move.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Ike is bad, but not THAT bad.
Somehow, his slow startups has weird animations that may can cause some confusion.
at least, is a personal hard matchup.. don't blame me because of that!

Now, let's look at BBrawl's QD. Was made prescisely for being unpredictable. If you can't use it wisely, it's all your fault. It's also one of the weirdest but pretty effectives shield pressure tools (have you even tried to charge a QD in your grounded opponent's face, then he begins sheilding, and don't drop it until it's too low?). You'll get punished, but now your opponent can't spam shield that much...
QD wasn't made for gimp nor ledgeguard, it's just a mobility tool. Also it's not for going into a superspeed to appear in front of your opponent's face and begin attack; was made for scaping pressure. AND it doesn't make Ike ungimpable (broken recoveries is something unwanted for a character with an already poor one).
Second: Jab comes out fast. You won't use it for shielded opponents. You'll punish with it.
I really can't get to see how Dsmash buff really helps him but... meh...

I must agree that, as character, has many failures, but he's very exploitable. I still can see one or two possibly good buffs (nair only autocancels, but as attack is almost useless, imo), but what can really be made to help him that matches with BBrawl's goals?
btw, forget about the Bair thing. If he could Bair that safe, wouldn't it be even more broken than MK's Dair? =/

EDIT: Ryko is one of the best Ikes I've seen; obviously, all we make silly mistakes; I don't consider it "large ****", AND Pierce is a very wise guy, with great knowledge about the game.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm certain that match would have been a 2stock at minimum had Pierce either not recklessly spotdodged into Ike's Jab -> Up-smash, or SideBed right into Ike's F-smash. Mistakes like that are just not matchup appropriate.

Generally Rykoshet was OUTPLAYING Pierce and lost. I can't see how that matchup is any better for Ike than 65/35 MK's favor.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
A2ZOMG, your mainly problem is that your "target character" is always approaching. Why? Why would you approach if your character sucks at approaching?

Lucas has a shield to fend off Marth. At that point, the Jab Combo comes out. Oh, you forgot to mention that, against Marth and MK, Lucas can just spam PK Fire to play keep away. If they do actually get close, abuse Magnet Pull to get to the other side.

Oh, and Ike's SH DJ fAir will hit your shield enough to eventually push you offstage, where he'll sit there charging fSmash with little you can do to avoid it. If you roll past, he release and Jabs you. Otherwise, eat gold.

D

Deleted member

How to make yoshi viable (I promise these few buffs will make him a completely viable character):
Lower shield drop to normal (no jump OOS is ok as a limiter on the character).
Decrease egg lay startup significantly, and slightly decrease its post lag (IMPORTANT, egg lay is one of yoshis best moves, and its what gives him his unique approach, with a faster egg lay, he now has a rediculously good approach).
Make moves do normal damage when they hit someone in the egg lay egg. This gives yoshi good damage racking potential, and he can punish reads well.

Thats honestly all he needs, besides the stuff like dsmash killing and egg braking that youve given him.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
A2ZOMG, your mainly problem is that your "target character" is always approaching. Why? Why would you approach if your character sucks at approaching?

Lucas has a shield to fend off Marth. At that point, the Jab Combo comes out. Oh, you forgot to mention that, against Marth and MK, Lucas can just spam PK Fire to play keep away. If they do actually get close, abuse Magnet Pull to get to the other side.

Oh, and Ike's SH DJ fAir will hit your shield enough to eventually push you offstage, where he'll sit there charging fSmash with little you can do to avoid it. If you roll past, he release and Jabs you. Otherwise, eat gold.
Exactly. Ike can't approach. So he has to wall, and I just proved that his walling sucks. 3rd worst character in standard Brawl. Basically he's slightly less ******** than Zelda, who has to sweetspot aerials and has a worse recovery.

Lucas can't camp either. PKF is NOT viable for camping. Magnet pulling is extremely predictable for the most part and requires setup.

If Ike is F-airing to approach, you are punishing him out of shield on normal block easily. He's not a hard character to approach at any rate, and even Ganondorf can get inside Ike's walls easily. Ike's F-smash will never hit a conservative player. And Ike's Jabs are not safe on block anyway. Ike whiffs F-smash, Jabs your shield, and if you know how to react, he gets owned.

Besides, Ike lags like an entire second after F-smashing, and he can't really juggle you very effectively. Intelligently timed ledgejumps are safe against him.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Grossly poor analysis of Ike aside...

The test build model is starting up, and we have a (pretty crummy) website that is hosting it.

http://balancedbrawl.net

Just put the appropriate files onto the root of your SD card and boot with gecko (via whatever method you have already been using); those who already use textures and such should be right at home with this. I don't feel like explaining more so I'll just answer any technical questions (or someone else can; this isn't hard).

Also, a changelist is on the site. It's fairly incomplete, but there should be a lot to mess with.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
I like ike in balanced brawl, but the character is still pretty ayuss in general. I'm fine with the way he is though.

But think of it this way, aside from back air none of his aerials come out before frame 19, and if you hit ike, his back is obviously not to you so he cant respond to most juggle attempts with anything other than air dodge, which someone will catch on and wait out. After a couple of times, he'll attempt to aerial instead, and get dodged on reaction or the juggler will just land and shield the obvious aerial. Also his jab combo is not a combo, people need to realize this. First jab gets SDIed so hard by the people I play that I feel sad seeing people get jab trapped at all nowadays. It causes me to play overly cautious against people who don't respond correctly and I get smacked around for not overcomitting. Lack of knowledge is the only reason ike gets by in any game.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The thing with jab not being a combo is that pretty much every non-grab "combo" in the game is like that, but you can only SDI things when you expect them. If you didn't predict getting hit by Ike's jab and he doesn't go for long-winded gimmicks (for instance, say he only does a basic jab combo, no jab cancels... which is still 16% fresh), he's going to get what he wants out of it.

Like, as soon as I realize I'm getting hit by Ike's jab, I start mashing upward SDI and the B button as Mr. Game & Watch (so I use Fire ASAP), but when I play the best local Ike, he is usually really conservative in how much jabbing he goes for (like either a basic jab combo or just adding on one extra jab1 or something). True jab traps don't really work, but I get a sense that if Ike goes for more reasonable stuff he can still expect his jab to do a lot of legwork for him. It's still more than I see other characters get out of jabs, though Luigi's silly jab -> Fire Jump Punch can sometimes compete (Ike's jab seems easier to land than Luigi's).

I do know Ike has some trouble with juggles. Hypothetically, the main role of Eruption in his moveset is to give him a mix-up in juggle situations (by relying on the super armor, no idea what frame the super armor goes active on though with a general sense this isn't as effective as one would hope) though also hypothetically Ike should be able to deal with that as a general character weakness by being generally solid when he's not being juggled. I may look into that more in-depth for the final release.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
The thing with jab not being a combo is that pretty much every non-grab "combo" in the game is like that, but you can only SDI things when you expect them. If you didn't predict getting hit by Ike's jab and he doesn't go for long-winded gimmicks (for instance, say he only does a basic jab combo, no jab cancels... which is still 16% fresh), he's going to get what he wants out of it.
At what point are you in front of ike and don't expect a jab? Trust me, I know far fewer people SDI the jab than the number should probably be by now but when people do and it's literally all you have in a close range situation it's pretty much a wrap unless people are really really REALLY stupid with air dodges.

As for eruption, you have to commit to it before they have to commit to the aerial that you'd respond to with eruption in the first place. It's a better response than, say, counter, but the only reason the move hits is someone doesn't understand that you can pretty much just wait for ike to make any sort of movement and then just hit your c stick toward him (or down then shield) and you win the exchange, automatically. Quick draw's change is the only thing that gets him out of this situation but even so that's 29 frames for someone to decide to respond.

On a real note, if I want to play a character that is "okay unless being juggled", I'd rather go with a character that is "amazing unless being juggled" (marth, falco, snake), all 3 of which have far far far better close range games than ike does. If you want to make ike not complete ***, make his shield push proportional to the knockback the move would have. Marth's aerials are not only faster and safer, but push the shield farther than ike's does despite ike's knockback on connection being MUCH greater. This concept, and not so much his actual speed, is why he's SO unsafe.

Edit: Oh god, you removed his dsmash buff? Lol he really has nothing close range whatsoever aside from jab.

Also
Ivysaur Bullet Seed now impossible to SDI first hit and retains 4% damage from standard Brawl.
You're kidding, right?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Ike could grab (which is much easier to land if people always guess you're going to jab), or he could back up and space something like fair. That's usually what I see out of Ike, though his jab1 isn't even unsafe on SDI so he can just kinda walk forward and reset the situation if he expects an SDI (reasonable plan in some matchups, for instance against G&W, Samus, or R.O.B.).

Also, most times I don't expect to get hit by jab are times I expected to be hitting Ike or at least his shield or something. I don't know many players that are always expecting to get hit.

Also, if you always wait for Ike to move before acting, won't Ike always just airdodge through you or even better just fall past you never doing anything? If you try to attack on reaction to an airdodge (instead of baiting it out), it's not going to recover in time to punish the airdodge.

---

On another note, I added a bunch of old write-ups to that Bbrawl page. They aren't modern, but they should be along the lines of what some people said they were wanting. I hope people get some satisfaction out of them at least.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Ike could grab (which is much easier to land if people always guess you're going to jab), or he could back up and space something like fair
You nerfed his grab game, who cares if he 5%'s you into absolutely nothing for a setup? I'd hold shield all day against ike if all I had to worry about is getting 5%'d at a time into a safe as hell tech situation.

If ike air dodges and you were waiting, you're just going to hit him out of his air dodge's recovery, it's the same concept behind juggling snake, and snake has faster aerials than ike does aside from fair. If ike just falls and does nothing, well now you're in the air and have to worry about.. nothing, because the fastest thing ike can do while he's under you is up tilt, and you're just going to land outside of his up tilt range, which coincidentally puts you out of jab range.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Let me try a different approach by describing some aspects of playing as a different character, namely Mr. Game & Watch.

In close quarters combat, Mr. Game & Watch is perhaps the least threatening character in the entire cast. His options are as follows:

-Jab. This does 3% and has frame advantage, but he doesn't really have anything good at taking advantage of it at all. Even making rapid jab link (which is a new change only in that test version I might note), he still really has to be hopeful he's getting double digit damage off this. The move also generally just isn't great to throw out for a lot of reasons; it's a mediocre at best jab.

-Grab. This does 6% with dthrow or 8% with my choice of three subtly different uthrows. The dthrow is a fun tech chase that guarantees absolutely nothing against the entire cast. The three uthrows give me a juggle situation that is alright but nothing guaranteed and not nearly as good of a juggle situation as landing a fishbowl, uair, utilt, usmash, or sweetspot dsmash gives me. G&W's grab also has several other downsides. For one, he has the single worst pummel of the entire cast by a longshot; pummeling is essentially never a viable option with him. For two, his grab has mediocre range and is pretty laggy on whiff; I'm pretty sure Ike's set of grabs (ignoring pummeling and throwing) are just better than mine, and I know Ike's are nothing special mine are just bad. For three, all my throws have this ridiculously long animation that serves the purpose of guaranteeing that my opponent will always DI my throws exactly the way they want to; I can't throw them off-guard and exploit bad DI. Even if I had a pummel, they could easily DI on reaction to being thrown because of the long animations so there's no disadvantage to trying to break out against Mr. Game & Watch.

-Somehow run away. This is what I almost always do because it's my only real option. Fire is a great move that puts me somewhere else fast, and rolling away (with my below average roll) and shielding waiting for them to either do something dumb and let me shieldgrab or just give me enough shield pushback to drop shield and literally turn and run are things I do a lot. I might even jump, but I won't try to do a short hop aerial because that will never hit. If I jump, I just jump and hold back and do nothing except maybe airdodge and/or double jump just trying to run away.

The reason my character is good is because his spacing game is incredible. When not in the opponent's face, Mr. Game & Watch outspaces the entire cast except Meta Knight, Marth, and Ike for the most part. Even against Meta Knight and Marth, he's pretty much even in terms of spacing options and it's back and forth depending on skill of play. Only Ike really just has him beat in the "play really slowly and just space long range stuff" category. When I land something like turtle and hit them up in the air, I then slide in and try to land a fishbowl or something and do my real damage in juggle situations or temporary positional advantages (like if the stage geography lets me get below them) or with tech chases (if they let me...) or with silly gimmicks like dair through platform to do horrible things to Bowser.

Now I look at Ike. On one hand, Ike doesn't have my juggle game and is slower both in terms of attack speed and mobility and doesn't have G&W's smash tricks (charge release gimmicks + wow, that's actually safe on block), but on the other hand, he has more range and power and lacks some of the flat out awful things about my character (in addition to the things I listed above, remember that Mr. Game & Watch is the second lightest character in the game [tied with Squirtle] while Ike is a heavyweight). Stuff like Ike's grabs aren't even really that bad; Ike's f/bthrow in Bbrawl put people over ledges so easily [at a low angle!], something I'd point out that Mr. Game & Watch can never do since he doesn't have a f/bthrow only three uthrows. I have confidence in my character being good, but I don't get a sense that on a fundamental level your character has a raw deal here. He's underbalanced in standard Brawl as far as I can tell mostly because his recovery is awful and his garbage mobility makes him fairly campable for some characters (such as Falco), but the whole idea with the Quick Draw change was to address those issues. Quick Draw is actually more versatile than I originally anticipated like this... which is fine.

As per juggling, I'm just going to say how I see juggling Ike versus juggling Snake. Both have very slow attacks they can do in the air. However, in addition to being slow, I can also outprioritize all of Snake's aerials with fishbowl. I can attack Snake first with impunity; the worst thing he can do to me is airdodge through it and get down. In this sense, the juggle game against Snake is simple. I either attack early and beat everything but airdodge or don't attack early and beat everything except doing nothing. He can try to complicate it a bit with c4, but that's about it. Ike actually beats my fishbowl with dair's disjoint or Eruption's super armor. I'm pretty much bullied into waiting against Ike meaning I'm going to have to go for a lot more distant uairing (which is very safe but does 0% damage) and waiting which just gives you more time to air control and more chances to get down at which point my opportunity is gone and I have to go back to dealing with your range again. As far as I see it, Ike's anti-juggle game is just better than Snake's; honestly all the start-up time Ike's aerials have isn't a big factor for me as a player because how fast the enemy's attack is means nothing if I can just outprioritize it. I know that's definitely not the way things are in most matchups, but having a dair that actually hits through everyone's uair is really worth something.

Do you see what I'm saying that, when analyzed through the light of being the bulky spacing character, Ike doesn't really seem to be that big of a loser? I'll talk about things like Ike's jab, but I do want to be clear that the primary good thing I see in Ike is how ridiculously huge the range on so many of his moves is, and I see things like his jab as just being really, really good options for when he's outside of that spacing element, the sort of options that not every character who plays a more spacing oriented game even has. I know when I'm actually playing Ike he's terrifying; he just matches up to G&W pretty well (the matchup is about 50-50, and I won't believe any claims to the contrary). I know in standard Brawl he has some other pretty bad matchups, but I can't imagine they became anything but a whole lot better in BBrawl.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Range means nothing if

1) The move doesnt provide enough space if shielded
2) The move is laggy as hell
3) The hurtbox is extended enough to retaliate properly.

And in the case of ike , it's all 3. In the case of marth, it's 0.

Ike gets shut down by holding your shield especially since he doesn't have any throw setups anymore and nothing worth a **** in terms of shield push.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Lets see from the changelist:
Mario slightly nerfed
Marth and G+W nerfed
Transformation speeds
Ivy bullet side un SDIable and no slowdown ground Vinewhip
Various characters jabs linke better

Jiggs Dair does more shield damage
Lucas dair and dtilt set to fixed knockback moves again
Dtilt changes to stop wall locking type stuff
Fair fixed on Ganon and DK
Other minor changes

Well im already sold. Im gunna like this version better than the first, cant wait to test it later. PS. my favorites are underlined

The only thing is why remove the pummel and Nair buff on Jiggs? Oh well lets see how good the Dair is now

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I'll do a full frame analysis of Ike's fully spaced very high range moves sometime soon. I think they're being undersold a bit, but I don't have the numbers to back that up right now so I'm not going to press the point when the numbers are obtainable.

---

Jigglypuff right now is highly experimental. The dair buff on her has the most potential to be broken out of any change in this build; it's seriously very good and does a ton of shield damage (though only 10% as much as my first attempt at this buff which broke shields with under half of dairs hits; wow that was broken). Thinkaman actually warned me in one of our last conversations that this idea was too easy to be broken, but he never had an answer other than a disappointed agreement for my claim that Jigglypuff at core is a poor character in Brawl so she needs something good and that this addresses that need well while sticking to her aerial based playstyle.

By the way, dair -> Rest is semi-legitimate in Brawl so you may discover Rest is a much more viable move in this build even though it hasn't been buffed at all. Dair, do a lot of shield damage, shieldstab, combo to Rest. This is one of the many things that makes me scared it may be too good, but that's why this is a test build.

The nair buff was removed because, again, one of Thinkaman's last acts was claiming it was polarized and needed to go (in exchange for other, never determined, buffs). He is a Jigglypuff main; I decided to mostly just trust him on this, though I never thought the nair buff really did a good job of addressing Jigglypuff's problems anyway.

The pummel "buff" turned out to only be a buff in theory but a fairly Pyrrhic victory for Jigglypuff in practice. This is going to require a long explanation so sit tight if you actually care. The main purpose was to let her pummel more to refresh more stale moves out of a grab. Jigglypuff is one of the most dependent characters on stale moves in the game since she has fewer useful moves than anyone else and, in particular, has a ridiculously good fair that is really limited by the fact that she wants to use it to do everything so it's really hard to keep fresh (and it's the sort of move that sees a big diminish in utility as it gets stale). However, some of Brawl's more subtle mechanics made this seemingly good idea of a change actually a really crummy idea. Notably, pummels only count individually as stale moves if they don't "combo" into each other. Faster pummels done at max speed (such as Wolf's) only count as one move in the stale moves queue while a slower pummel (such as on King Dedede) will count as individual moves no matter how fast you do it (note that pummels that are fast enough to combo into themselves are also the pummels that force ground breaks in grab release situations). Jigglypuff's pummel in standard Brawl is barely below the threshold for comboing into itself so it counts as individual moves, but our speedup made max speed pummeling count together. It was technically still better because you could just intentionally pummel sub-optimally if you wanted to refresh stale moves better or could pummel optimally for more damage, but in practice not being able to just mash A as fast as you can to refresh moves with pummel is fairly lousy for a character who wanted to rely on pummel for that.

To clarify for anyone a bit confused, Lokee wrote that list himself; the real list has far fewer typographical errors. I don't mean to pick fun at the typing; I just don't want to give the wrong idea...

The representation of Lucas's moves and how they are changed is also inaccurate. To explain a bit better, in standard Brawl, both of those moves have variable knockback which means some base knockback and some knockback growth. In the initial release of Balanced Brawl, we made them fixed knockback by setting the bkb to some value and the kbg to 0. However, real fixed knockback moves in the game have 0 bkb and some kbg as well as usually some value for "weight knockback" (a value only used in fixed knockback moves). 0 bkb is a special case by the game which causes the hit to use the fixed knockback formula which treats the kbg as some sort of base knockback and uses the weight knockback to change how much knockback is done based on the weight of the victim (why heavy characters suffer less knockback than light characters from fixed knockback moves when, for variable knockback moves, weight generally only affects the knockback growth portion of the formula). What this test version does is set Lucas's moves to use 0 bkb, some kbg, and some wkb which means they now do different amounts of knockback against different weight victims, and they are now consistent with fixed knockback moves in Brawl in general. There are many other examples of newly fixed knockback moves where I didn't change this, but I decided to on Lucas and unless some problem with those moves is discovered, intend to stick to this model (it's just as likely a buff as a nerf, mostly it's just a sidegrade). Future changes are always going to avoid the 0 kbg method of making fixed knockback moves, as an aside.

To post here a quick list of characters who can better link jabs in this version:

Kirby, Fox, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake

Samus will probably get a linking jab in the final version, but I haven't touched Samus yet (this build is not only a test build but also incompete!). Remember that Donkey Kong already has his jab improved to be linking in the original release of Balanced Brawl, and this is retained in this build.

Any information about the way these changes affect the overall games of those characters would be appreciated. Charizard in particular probably benefits the most since it's his jab1 that got buffed; he likely has some new jab cancel gimmicks that just weren't in the original game, but I didn't look for them prior to putting this out since, again, it's just a test version. Come to think of it, Mr. Game & Watch has a buffed jab1 too, but due to the nature of him as a character I doubt it introduces any shenanigans. If any are found though, please do let me know.

Also, on an emotional level, nerfing the turtle is the hardest thing I've had to do on this project, but I really do think I did the right thing. It's actually a fairly tame nerf, but it should make a huge difference in G&W's most dominating matchups because it specifically makes fully space turtle less rewarding (which is mainly what he relies on to shut down characters like the Mario bros.).

Lastly, the poor formatting of the post with the changes hid this gem:

Ice Climbers fusion glitch fixed

I would take note of that. I'm pretty proud of that change personally (the actual implementation is giving Nana total invincibility during a unified Hammer Squall which is, just FYI, not actually anywhere near as potent as it sounds).

---

Also, while I would really like feedback on the test build more than anything, feedback on the character pages on the side of the page would be appreciated too. I could make more, eventually having one for every character, if people actually think those are worthwhile.

---

I just realized that somehow Snake changes went completely undocumented... Snake has seen further changes, mostly against his favor (ftilt was nerfed damage wise again, I think I set dthrow to 10% damage, jab now links). Oops...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Like, as soon as I realize I'm getting hit by Ike's jab, I start mashing upward SDI and the B button as Mr. Game & Watch (so I use Fire ASAP), but when I play the best local Ike, he is usually really conservative in how much jabbing he goes for (like either a basic jab combo or just adding on one extra jab1 or something). True jab traps don't really work, but I get a sense that if Ike goes for more reasonable stuff he can still expect his jab to do a lot of legwork for him. It's still more than I see other characters get out of jabs, though Luigi's silly jab -> Fire Jump Punch can sometimes compete (Ike's jab seems easier to land than Luigi's).
Snake and Luigi have better Jabs than Ike, and if Mario is in Jab sweetspot range, his Jab game is also significantly better than Ike's especially in BBrawl where he has some massive KO power buffs on moves he can Jab cancel into.

Snake Jab cancels into Jab, F-tilt, his broken D-throw techchase, AND his U-tilt, and if he has some balls, he can also Jab cancel to D-air, which is deceptively good thanks to the massive shield damage alone (and broken shield vs Snake = free F-smash).

Luigi's Jab cancel D-tilt and Up-B are so ridiculously lethal I cannot see how you would even expect Ike to compare to this. Luigi's Jab -> D-smash also generally outdamages Ike's Jab cancel to grab stuff slightly, and can be used as a kill move at high percents. Luigi's Jab to grab is also MUCH more threatening. Luigi's D-throw has very constant knockback that forces an airdodge. He can land U-smashes on people who airdodge pretty easily, which can kill pretty early when charged. Jab cancels -> pummels -> D-throw -> aerial does like 30% if he can connect the aerial on someone who is afraid to airdodge, and the aerial still keeps his opponent in a bad position at low percents. Jab cancel to B-throw is good at 140% on most characters for kills.

Ike can only Jab cancel to more Jabs on people who don't SDI this predictable move, or he can Jab cancel into his terrible grab that does crap damage, doesn't kill people until 200%, and never really sets up into anything.

Remember when I mentioned that people could easily shieldgrab Ike out of Jabs (even Ganondorf has no trouble doing this as long as he is aware of the timing)? Guess what. Ike can't shieldgrab most other Jab combos besides his own. There are a lot of Jab combos in this game that have -6 frame advantages on shield. What frame does Ike's grab hit on? Frame 7.

Either way I hope I get time to test out the experimental version of BBrawl. I have made the AiB BBrawl group aware of this.

By the way AA, Kirk already has COMPLETE frame and hitbox data for Ike. It doesn't take a brain to just read Ike's data and realize it is possibly the worst in the entire game along with Ganon's.

Actually I take that back. It IS in fact the worst frame data in the game minus the fact Ike has an alright Jab. Ike is only better than Ganondorf because he can respond to spotdodges (and gets gimped less). If Ganondorf could respond to spotdodges, he would clearly be better than Ike, since he's fundamentally much better at comboing, edgeguarding, and trapping once he gets started, and he isn't QUITE as helpless as Ike when being juggled.

Ike fails so hard it's unbelievable. His options suck. They're slow. They're the most predictable in the game. He could have easily been the worst character in standard Brawl besides the fact that Zelda and Ganon are also just a bunch of inconceivable fail.

At any rate Captain Falcon and Link were clearly better than Ike AND they got more meaningful buffs that actually benefit their onstage games. The general impression of Captain Falcon seems to be that he's still bad, which I actually might agree with. Now, tell me again WHAT makes Ike a viable character in Balanced Brawl (which he's obviously not, since he basically can't ever win against Samus, ROB, Falco, and probably Link as well, and still loses significantly to a bunch of other random characters who don't fail).

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
Here's what I noticed when briefly playing the test build:

- the timer for ganon's fair isn't fixed even though that changelist says it is
-pokemon trainer's transformations are what they should've been from the beginning. they are fluid and each pokemon takes the same amount of time unlike vbrawl.
-the transform time between zelda and shiek doesn't seem to be faster than before
-the time between releasing din's fire and the actual explosion seems to be sped up.

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
On another note, I added a bunch of old write-ups to that Bbrawl page. They aren't modern, but they should be along the lines of what some people said they were wanting. I hope people get some satisfaction out of them at least.

[...]

Also, while I would really like feedback on the test build more than anything, feedback on the character pages on the side of the page would be appreciated too. I could make more, eventually having one for every character, if people actually think those are worthwhile.
I would be very interested in seeing what you have to say about Fox, as well as seeing his exact Mobility/Fall Speed/Weight stats and how they rank overall. Obviously I have a pretty strong intuitive sense of those things, but the actual data would be interesting.

Of course, it's not a pressing need. Mostly just letting you know that at least one person is (very) interested in your design write-ups.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
buff ike's throws to do more damage

you could maybe do something with eruption. add earlier SA frames and make it weaker to compensate for it being more realistic to hit with, theoretically. you could also do that with aether...it'd make ike more difficult to gimp but we already have that QD buff.

this is mostly an aside and not feasible for bbrawl but brawl- (lol) made eruption a charge move, like DK's Giant Punch. it's a pretty cool change.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The frame analysis I was talking about isn't talking about frame data as conventionally gathered A2, please use your head here (there is a reason I said "do a frame analysis" instead of "gather frame data"). I'm talking about the actual frame disadvantage on fully ranged fair and how many frames it actually takes typical characters to drop shield, physically get into range of Ike, and then do a move to punish (I'm guessing for most characters dash attack is their fastest punish option). That will show in real terms how safe or unsafe the move is. This isn't subjective; objective numbers govern this, and no, Kirk's data doesn't come close to covering it.

Here's what I noticed when briefly playing the test build:

- the timer for ganon's fair isn't fixed even though that changelist says it is
-pokemon trainer's transformations are what they should've been from the beginning. they are fluid and each pokemon takes the same amount of time unlike vbrawl.
-the transform time between zelda and shiek doesn't seem to be faster than before
-the time between releasing din's fire and the actual explosion seems to be sped up.
Wow, the Ganon file really didn't get included, oops. That's just a slightly outdated version. Amazingly enough, the DK change did get included; this is a mistake, and I'll put the Ganon file up separately for people to download and plug in. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention (it's uploaded at the same location as the main download; please make use of it).

The actual animations for Zelda & Sheik are unchanged from standard Brawl. The reason the transformation should be faster is because it's SD loading instead of disc loading, but if you have a really fast disc reader on you Wii the improvement won't be very noticable (my Wii has what I believe to be a decent but not exceptional disc reader, and the "invisible in the loading zone" time is about 1/3 as long for me in this version). On that note, try playing Castle Siege; it's really cool like this.

That Din's Fire thing isn't a change I implemented; maybe the move isn't quite as slow as you initially thought?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I can guarantee that basically every character gets a free dashgrab on powershielding Ike's F-air.

It's possible for characters like Ganon and Mario however to outspace Ike's F-air with reverse F-smashes.

Besides, when is Ike EVER going to be spacing F-air at perfect maximum range on your shield? That alone is silly to analyze, since Ike doesn't have the free mobility to force favorable positions like other characters.

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
When I said that the transformation time didn't seem faster than before what I meant is that the part where the character is loading is taking about the same time (about 2 seconds) on my Wii as it did before I played the test version.

After playing Mario I think that his bthrow was nerfed too much. I bthrowed a computer ness from the very edge of pictochat at almost 150% and he survived it. If a computer can survive that, surely a human player can survive even longer, which makes bthrow a very limited killmove.

On another note, people in the Project M thread claim that brawl has a "dead frame" on the frame that a character leaves the ground during a jump. During this frame you can't do anything, this includes the inability to buffer moves. They also claim that they have made a code that eliminates this dead frame. Do you plan on including that code or one like it in the next version of BBrawl?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
And you found... another bug. Wow, I never implemented bthrow changes, and that's standard Brawl bthrow. This is what happens when I don't test stuff carefully I guess.

The dead frame isn't a problem I don't think. The current plan is to just let it be.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
I tested out most of the new changes. Found them pretty neat and satisfying makes me think we call team disjoint disbanded (lol naw there ok now) but what you did to G+W Bair wow. I mean its still good but you know this will open the floodgates for other chars. to really get on his grill. Marth as well.

Also I like to point out that I love Sonic's new dtilt its good for tech chasing but maybe even better near the ledge and Jiggs Dair seem very useful for poking me thinks.

Castle Siege was great as well. The stage transition part went by quickly and smoothly.

Did you nerf Rob and the Dthrow to Upsmash thing cause I didnt test that yet

I pretty sure Kirby's copy damage is fine

Question when you said you nerfed Snake's Ftilt did you mean even more cause in the old version its
Forward tilt 1 damage (8%) -> (7%)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I... think so on R.O.B. dthrow. I know I meant to. Let me check really quickly...

Yeah, I did nerf it a bit; it's now in-between standard Brawl and the first official Bbrawl release (closer to the old Bbrawl one; standard Brawl dthrow on R.O.B. isn't very good). There were serious issues with the documentation internally that I think are playing out as such awkwardness right now, but that's why this is just a test build.

Snake's ftilt2 does less damage now I think; I'm really not sure.

And yes, I know exactly what I did to Mr. Game & Watch and Marth. It had to be done.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Thank you for nerfing Marth. So the changes on Gdubs b-air makes it harder to SDI, correct?

---------------------------

I lol'd. Lucas Jab has no range. I obviously think you've NEVER played as Lucas in the Marth MU, first of all, Lucas WILL NOT be punishing Marth's f-air if Marth is that close. Lucas camp is OVERRATED, it sucks, it has twenty frames of start-up and is somewhat slow and easy to PS, and he has at least 40 frame of end lag to punish him out of the move. Oh and Magnet has serious hidden lag in which Marth can **** with Lucas.

I'm kind of disappointed that Lucas' U-smash is still DI'able, especially a move that's very similar to it's case got exactly what Lucas U-smash should have gotten. Ivysaurs neutral-B suffered the same problem and got buffed, however, Lucas U-smash is still as easy to DI. WTF.

I'd really like to see Lucas have his n-air last hit buffed to put him in a good situation, but as of now, all it is, is an extra three damage that puts Lucas back into a neutral, disadvantaged situation. And the worst thing is, N-air is supposed to be one of his best moves. Also, I'd like to see Lucas have some sort of U-air buff, because Lucas isn't going to be getting kills very well if you know how to space against F-smash (you overrate it's range).

@AA: are you going to implement my changes in Jab Lock that I made for you?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Just a single question/request:
What are the codes used on the test's .gct? I'd like to recreate it, adding my own codes =P

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Just a single question/request:
What are the codes used on the test's .gct? I'd like to recreate it, adding my own codes =P
I wanted to do that too, since I had texture and music codes and plus SSE stages but then was like freak it, its just a test build so I just moved my stuff on the computer for now.

shanus

Smash Hero
And you found... another bug. Wow, I never implemented bthrow changes, and that's standard Brawl bthrow. This is what happens when I don't test stuff carefully I guess.

The dead frame isn't a problem I don't think. The current plan is to just let it be.
Removing the dead frame has been a surprisingly awesome change. You would think it isn't the biggest issue, but it helps with precision dramatically. Pretty huge difference, i recommend it entirely.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I haven't really looked deeply into that jab lock thing yet; looking into it is on the agenda.

A specific request I have is to please never use the term "DI" to refer to what you mean to be "SDI" since actual "DI" and "SDI" are not mechanically related in any way. Ivysaur's Bullet Seed initial hit is still affected by DI but not by SDI. With Lucas's up smash, I'd mostly just like to see some more evidence that SDI out of it really happens. Like, I poked around with it, and what I found the conclusion was is that landing Lucas up smash is very rare, but even moreso, if you do, them SDIing out happens but is very rare. In most cases you land the first hit, they don't SDI out and they instead get hit. I'm not really entirely decided on what that's grounds for, but let's just say something a little more solid than that would be sufficiently convincing to make it an easy choice.

I should be clear about range that I always talk about range/disjointedness together because they are linked concepts. Both are valuable, but in the end, disjointedness probably matters more. Like Mario's fsmash "outranges" Lucas's in a sense, but it's clearly less disjointed. In a grounded fsmash spacing war, Mario can hit Lucas from further away, but it's just really dangerous for Mario to try since Lucas can easily beat out Mario's fsmash with his own due to the better disjointedness. Generally I find the most useful aspect of being a long-range character is the ability to attack right through someone else's attack, and leaning forward as your primary method of getting more range just doesn't make that happen. Using an object like a stick to attack, however, sure does.

Here are the current contents of the .txt file. This makes it really obvious that it's a work in progress:

Code:
RSBE01
Smash Bros Brawl (US)

Infinite Replays
* 040E5DE8 60000000
* 04953184 60000000
* 04953224 60000000

No Tripping
* 0481CB34 C0220020
* 045A9340 00000000

Stage Specific Speed Reduction
* 42000000 90000000
* 0416A904 3F000000
* 2A180F3A 00000004
* 2A180F3A 00000005
* 0416A904 3F2AAAAB
* 2A180F3A 00000024
* 2A180F3A 0000002D
* 2A180F3A 00000031
* 0416A904 3F800000
* E0000000 80008000

Default Settings Standard
* 24494A98 80000000
* 20523300 00000000
* 04523300 DEADBEEF
* 42000000 90000000
* 0417F360 00000102
* 0417F364 03000A00
* 0417F368 08010101
* 0417F36C 01000000
* E0000000 80008000

Death zone mod engine
* C2931438 0000001D
* 3C004248 90010008
* C0610008 3C004B00
* 60000800 90010008
* C0210008 3C809018
* A0640F3A 88840F3C
* 811D0020 38A2FCD8
* 84C50008 80E50004
* 54C0463E 7C001800
* 40A2009C 54C0673E
* 2C00000F 41A2000C
* 7C002000 40A20088
* 54C0E53F 4182001C
* 68000800 B001000A
* C0010008 FC000828
* FC80182A D0880000
* 54C0452E 50E0463F
* 4182001C 68000800
* B001000A C0410008
* FC420828 FC821828
* D0880004 54E0A53F
* 4182001C 68000800
* B001000A C0C10008
* FCC60828 FC861828
* D0880008 54E0053F
* 4182001C 68000800
* B001000A C0E10008
* FCE70828 FC87182A
* D088000C 7CC03B79
* 4082FF50 00000000

Death zone mod data
* 065A9000 00000018
* 05F00000 00070000
* 30F0F0B0 E30D0000
* 29F00000 000B0FC8

Character fix
* C28152E4 00000006
* 819E003C 907EFFFC
* 80E30030 2C07000F
* 40A2001C 80FE0008
* 3C008180 7C070000
* 4080000C 39030008
* 9107FFFC 00000000

Frame speed mod engine
* C2766C20 00000012
* 3C008180 807D0008
* 8063FFFC 7C030000
* 4080000C 80630030
* 48000008 386000FF
* 809D0014 C0240040
* FC40081E 81240058
* 61298000 D8410008
* 8001000C 80BD007C
* 80A50038 38C200D8
* 84E60008 2C070000
* 41820038 7CE8C671
* 41A0000C 7C081800
* 4082FFE8 54E8863E
* 7C004000 41A0FFDC
* 54E8043E 7C082800
* 4182000C 7C084800
* 4082FFC8 C0060004
* D01F0010 00000000
* C2766FB8 00000003
* 2C1D0001 4182000C
* C0230010 48000008
* C02283C8 00000000

Frame speed mod data
* 065A9400 00000020
* 0100003B 3FAAAAAB
* FF000040 3FAAAAAB
* FF000041 3FD55555
* FF0E0054 40A00000

Conditional modifier engine
* C277F780 0000000E
* 2C030000 41820060
* 3C008180 80BF0008
* 80A5FFFC 7C050000
* 4080004C 80A50030
* 80DE0038 38E2FE00
* 85070008 7D09C671
* 41820034 2C09FFFF
* 41A2000C 7C092800
* 4082FFE8 5509043E
* 7C093000 4082FFDC
* 81070004 5509843E
* 7C09E000 4082FFCC
* 551C043E 60000000
* 939E0038 00000000

Conditional modifier data
* 065A9128 00000010
* FF000071 004A0016
* FF00008D 008A008E

Sub-stage select
* 066B5E0C 0000000C
* 38C00000 41A20008
* 60C60001 00000000
* 066B5E20 00000010
* 7CA30039 41A20008
* 60C60002 7CC03378
* C26B5E30 00000004
* 2C040008 4080000C
* 70A30010 48000008
* 74A30008 41A20008
* 60000004 00000000
* C2055760 00000003
* 3CA09018 60A50F3C
* 98850000 548407BE
* 28030005 00000000
* 04055774 60000000

Sub-stage select (spear pillar/SMI)
* C210FA10 00000004
* 887F0000 546407BE
* 3484FFFF 4C800382
* 2C1B0022 4CA21382
* 4C441202 00000000
* C210FA1C 00000003
* 2C1B0015 4C622B82
* 40A30008 989F0000
* 4C422202 00000000

Hanenbow is WiFi Training Room
* C26DCEE0 00000003
* A37A0022 2C1B0025
* 40820008 3B600037
* 60000000 00000000

WiFi Training Room Music
* 0410FE04 386327C3

Custom Stage Select
066B1E64 00000048
7F43D378 7F24CB78
480070E5 80180040
2C000002 41820010
2C030029 41820078
4800005C 4B9FD78D
2C030033 41810068
2C030028 41810048
2C030024 41810058
4800003C 60000000
046B1F04 4800002C
046B8F5C 7C802378
046B8F64 7C6300AE
040AF618 5460083C
040AF6AC 5463083C
040AF6C0 88030001
006B929C 00000025
066B99D8 00000025
00011D1E 1A020C0D
0E281420 24040305
21071F09 08270A0B
23250F10 22112613
1715161B 1C000000
006B92A4 00000006
066B9A58 00000006
06181912 2A290000
06407AAC 00000070
01010202 03030404
05050606 07070808
0909330A 0B0B0C0C
0D0D0E0E 130F1410
15111612 17131814
19151C16 1D171E18
1F19201A 211B221C
231D241E 37642932
2A332B34 2C352D36
2F373038 3139323A
2E3B0064 260A2832
34053504 36113702
38070064 251F251F
251F251F 251F251F

Debug Pause
80000000 805B8A08
0402E5AC 8819000B
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 EFFF1000
86410000 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 00FF0000
12000002 00000001
E2000001 00000000
4A000000 804DE470
38000000 FFEF0010
4A000000 805B8A08
3A000002 FF000000
12000002 00000100
E2000002 00000000

Frame Advance
041E6CD8 4BE1C128
041E6D1C 4BE1C114
06002E00 00000068
9421FF80 BC410008
7CE4402E 7CE738F8
7CE73039 3864FFC0
7CE3412E 7CC4412E
B8410008 38210080
60000000 481E3EB0
9421FF80 BC410008
7C03202E 3DC01000
7DCE70F8 7C007039
740E0408 3DE00408
7C0E7800 40820008
64001000 B8410008
38210080 481E3EBC

Extended Masterpieces
2001A960 41820028
0401A960 48000028
200107B5 4182000C
040107B4 4800000C
20057215 41800028
04057214 48000028
2001C099 41820028
0401C098 48000028
2001C4C9 41820028
0401C4C8 48000028
2001C4E5 41820028
0401C4E4 48000028
2001C74D 41820028
0401C74C 48000028
E0000000 80008000

Character ID list
Mario 00
Donkey Kong 01
Link 02
Samus 03
Yoshi 04
Kirby 05
Fox 06
Pikachu 07
Luigi 08
Captain Falcon 09
Ness 0A
Bowser 0B
Peach 0C
Zelda 0D
Sheik 0E
Ice Climbers 0F
Marth 11
Mr. Game & Watch 12
Falco 13
Ganondorf 14
Wario 15
Meta Knight 16
Pit 17
Zero Suit Samus 18
Olimar 19
Lucas 1A
Diddy Kong 1B
Charizard 1D
Squirtle 1E
Ivysaur 1F
King Dedede 20
Lucario 21
Ike 22
R.O.B. 23
Jigglypuff 25
Toon Link 29
Wolf 2C
Snake 2E
Sonic 2F

Stage ID list
00 (0) - Battle
01 (1) - BattleField (Battlefield)
02 (2) - Final (Final Destination)
03 (3) - Dolpic (Delfino Plaza)
04 (4) - Mansion (Luigi's Mansion)
05 (5) - MarioPast (Mushroomy Kingdom)
06 (6) - Kart (Mario Circuit)
07 (7) - Donkey (75m)
08 (8) - Jungle (Rumble Falls)
09 (9) - Pirates (Pirate Ship)
0A (10) - Zelda2 (Bridge of Eldin)
0B (11) - Norfair (Norfair)
0C (12) - Orpheon (Frigate Orpheon)
0D (13) - Crayon (Yoshi's Island [Brawl])
0E (14) - Halberd (Halberd)
0F (15) - TestHalberd_00
10 (16) - TestHalberd_01
11 (17) - TestHalberd_02
12 (18) - Karby2
13 (19) - Starfox (Lylat Cruise)
14 (20) - Stadium (Pokémon Stadium 2)
15 (21) - Tengan (Spear Pillar)
16 (22) - Fzero (Port Town Aero Dive)
17 (23) - Ice (Summit)
18 (24) - Gw (Flat Zone 2)
19 (25) - Emblem (Castle Siege)
1A (26) - TestEmblem_00
1B (27) - TestEmblem_01
1C (28) - Madein (WarioWare, Inc.)
1D (29) - Earth (Distant Planet)
1E (30) - Palutena (Skyworld)
1F (31) - Famicom (Mario Bros.)
20 (32) - Newpork (New Pork City)
21 (33) - Village (Smashville)
22 (34) - Metalgear (Shadow Moses Island)
23 (35) - Greenhill (Green Hill Zone)
24 (36) - Pictchat (PictoChat)
25 (37) - Plankton (Hanenbow)
26 (38) - ConfigTest
27 (39) - Viewer
28 (40) - Result
29 (41) - DxShrine (Temple)
2A (42) - DxYorster (Yoshi's Island [Melee])
2B (43) - DxGarden (Jungle Japes)
2C (44) - DxOnett (Onett)
2D (45) - DxGreens (Green Greens)
2E (46) - DxPStadium (Pokémon Stadium)
2F (47) - DxRCruise (Rainbow Cruise)
30 (48) - DxCorneria (Corneria)
31 (49) - DxBigBlue (Big Blue)
32 (50) - DxZebes (Brinstar)
33 (51) - Oldin
34 (52) - Homerun (Homerun Contest)
35 (53) - Edit (Stages made using the Stage Builder.)
36 (54) - Heal (All-Star Resting Stage)
37 (55) - OnlineTraining
38 (56) - TargetBreak (Break The Targets)
39 (57) - CharaRoll
3A (58) - General
3B (59) - Adventure
3C (60) - Adventure0
3D (61) - Adventure2
3E (62) - AdvMeleeTest
3F (63) - AdvMelee
40 (64) - BattleS
41 (65) - BattleFieldS
42 (66) - Max
43 (67) - Unknown

Triple Jump Glitch Fix [Phantom Wings/spunit262]
* 04858DCC 38830003

Unrestricted Pause Camera
* 040A7D60 4E800020
* 04109D88 38800001

Unrestricted Replay Camera
* 0409E934 60000000
* 0409E93C 60000000
* 0409E9AC FC201890
* 0409E9B8 FC600090
* 0409E9BC FC000890
* 0409E9C8 FC001890

File Patch Code v3.5.1 (NTSC-U) [Phantom Wings]
* E0000000 80008000
* 225664EC 00000000
* 0401BFE0 4858BE20
* 065A7E00 00000070
* 38A00067 38810020
* 3CE0805A 60E37C18
* 4BE52531 38A0007F
* 3883FFE8 38610020
* 4BE52521 38A00068
* 60E47C18 38610020
* 9421FF80 BC410008
* 38610088 4BA74DB9
* 7C7C1B78 2C030000
* 4082000C 38210080
* 4800001C B8410008
* 38210080 4BE524E5
* 38610008 4BA742E1
* 7C7C1B78 4BA741E8
* 040223E0 48585BC0
* 065A7FA0 00000028
* 80010044 3C608001
* 6063581C 7C001800
* 4082000C 7FDDC850
* 3BDEFFE0 93DB0008
* 4BA7A424 00000000
* 0401CD0C 4858B1F4
* 065A7F00 00000038
* 2C030000 4182000C
* 4BA7DD51 4BA74E04
* 80780008 2C030000
* 41820014 8118000C
* 7C634214 7C7B1850
* 48000008 8078000C
* 4BA74DE0 00000000
* 043EE9D8 48000014
* 043EEBD4 48000014
* 043D8B9C 48000018
* 043E9B4C 38600000
* 043E9D38 38600000
* 043D8C80 60000000
* 80000000 80406920
* 80000001 805A7C00
* 8A001001 00000000
* 045A7C10 2F525342
* 045A7C14 452F7066
* 80000001 805A7B00
* 8A001001 00000000
* 065A7B10 0000000F
* 2F525342 452F7066
* 2F736F75 6E642F00
* 041C6CE0 483E0D20
* 065A7A00 00000028
* 9421FF80 BC410008
* 3C60805A 60637B1F
* 4BE52931 B8410008
* 38210080 4BE52995
* 4BC1F2C4 00000000
* 065A7900 00000078
* 9421FF80 7C0802A6
* 9001000C BC810010
* 9421FF00 7C872378
* 54B2BA7E 7CD33378
* 38800000 9081000C
* 90810010 90610014
* 90810018 3880FFFF
* 9081001C 38610020
* 90610008 7CE43B78
* 38A00080 4BE529F5
* 38610008 4BA752A1
* 60000000 80210000
* B8810010 8001000C
* 7C0803A6 80210000
* 4E800020 00000000
* 043E399C 481C3F04
* 065A78A0 00000010
* 80BC0020 7CA59214
* 3A400000 4BE3C0F4
* 043DBAEC 481CBDE4
* 065A78D0 00000018
* 800302A4 2C130000
* 41820008 7E609B78
* 3A600000 4BE3420C
* 041CDF7C 483D9884
* 065A7800 00000098
* 818C0014 9421FF80
* BC410008 3D009034
* 61089D94 7C034000
* 4082003C 7C882378
* 3C60804D 60630000
* 3C80805A 60847B00
* 7CC53378 38C04200
* 80E40080 2C070000
* 40820014 60000000
* 480000B9 2C030000
* 41820010 B8410008
* 80210000 4BC26724
* 70A501FF 3868FFFF
* 3C80804C 6084FFFF
* 7C842A14 38A04001
* 38A5FFFF 8C040001
* 9C030001 2C050000
* 4082FFF0 B8410008
* 80210000 4BC2670C
* 141CCF90 483DA770
* 065A7700 00000048
* 9421FF80 BC410008
* 7FE3FB78 3C80805A
* 60847B00 38A00000
* 38C04000 480001E5
* 90640080 807F0008
* 907A0014 907A005C
* 907A0074 B8410008
* 80210000 807F0000
* 4BC25854 00000000
* E0000000 80008000

Tags in Replays [Y.S]
* 0404B140 38A00000

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
AA, wrong. Disjointedness does NOT matter more than actual range. It is quite rare in this game for a disjoint to consistently outprioritize a move that outranges it in actuality, UNLESS the disjoint lingers. Only G&W really really benefits from having lingering disjoints.

Donkey Kong and Wario are prefect examples of why actual range matters more. Donkey Kong does just fine in priority wars even though he has next to no disjointed properties since his raw range lets him punish from further away. Wario has very little range, but MASSIVE mobility that increases the zone at which he can reliably punish from. To a lesser extent, ROB also is good at demonstrating why actual range matters more than just being disjointed. ROB's best pokes are not disjointed, but rather they reach so incredibly far that it's very hard to anyone to realistically punish them when they're spaced correctly.

Besides, you really don't understand how Mario's F-smash works. If there is ANY F-smash in this game that is actually good when charged, Mario's deserves special mention because the MASSIVE leanback on the charge stance makes it outdistance almost every ground move in this game. Mario's F-smash is also significantly less punishable on block and whiff than Lucas's F-smash and really doesn't kill later by a significant margin.

Lucas CANNOT ever F-smash Metaknight (and several other characters as well) if the opposing player plays a good spacing and poke game. Mario on the other hand can F-smash Metaknight legitimately by exploiting what little ending lag MK has on his spacers and pokes and outranging him with charged F-smashes.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think you're missing what I was trying to say, especially bringing up Wario who is just irrelevant to the whole issue. I didn't say disjointedness is the only thing that can make a character work; obviously different characters rely on different things. I am saying that range and disjointedness are fundamentally very intertwined, and that the disjointedness half of that is a really big deal, probably a bigger deal than the range.

Mario himself relies on disjoints both on that very fsmash (a major reason Mario's fsmash is much easier to land than Ganondorf's) and dair (remembering all moves are somewhat disjointed, and for a move that has no real object/psychic spark/Snake involved, Mario's dair seems to be pretty good on that scale which is my explanation for its "surprisingly high priority"). Really, this stuff is one of the biggest reasons someone might want to use Mario instead of Luigi...

Just think about this in terms of range. Falcon Kick has a very large range. Falco Phantasm has roughly similar range; it's not really quite the same and also has different speeds and whatnot, but let's go with it. Falcon Kick has some degree of a disjoint in the same sense all moves do, but it's only good on the Captain Falcon scale in that regard (which is not good overall). Falco Phantasm pretty much hits over its whole range before Falco moves. How much easier is Falco Phantasm to land than Falcon Kick, and in how many different circumstances can you use Falco Phantasm than Falcon Kick? I think the way it plays out is pretty clear; there's obviously more complexity here so don't try to break this down farther than it should be, but with these most extreme of range moves (you don't get more long range than a move where the user hurls himself forward!), you see disjointedness still doing its thing.

The game is also a lot more complex than you're giving it credit for; to say Lucas cannot ever fsmash Meta Knight is being silly. Meta Knight has great, fast pokes and some long range disjointed moves of his own that do a great job of minimizing how often he'll get hit not only by Lucas's fsmash but also but a whole lot of things, but the more carefully he plays, the harder it is for him to get kills, and no matter how carefully he plays, he is still human and will inevitably not only leave holes but leave some big holes even if he happens to be a really good player. The number of situations that let Lucas hit with fsmash are too myriad to even bother to list; they're obviously not situations that Meta Knight wants to happen, but he just can't help it. It's just not possible to actually play an airtight game; remember the hype way back about how Olimar with "perfect camp" is impossible to approach? It's not a coincidence Olimar didn't jump to top tier and start dominating tournaments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom