• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Public Preview *GENESIS UPDATE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I still think Squirtle, Ivy, and Zard should not be individual entities, but instead factors of Pokemon Trainer.

Sure, you like Charizard, but despise Squirtle. Sadly, Charizard is not a fighter in this game; Pokemon Trainer is. He just happens to have Charizard.
So, why is this ONLY the case for Pokemon Trainer, and no one else? I still can't believe people are seriously defending this crap.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
I still think Squirtle, Ivy, and Zard should not be individual entities, but instead factors of Pokemon Trainer.

Sure, you like Charizard, but despise Squirtle. Sadly, Charizard is not a fighter in this game; Pokemon Trainer is. He just happens to have Charizard.
Before, you liked Ganondorf, but sadly, he sucked hard in this game. Things can be different now.

Pokemon Trainer will still be there for those who want to use them together.
Why denny the chance for someone to use only one? Because of a caprice? It's his choice and it is fair (no curse -> no gift, minus one B move). A new option. And not an expensive one to implement I think.

Wouldn't it be interesting to see someone kicking the hell out of everybody in a BBrawl Tourney with just Squirtle? :bee:

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
Dash attack is now decent against people with longer aerial range.
That's just what Luigi needed =)
That's exactly what I was wondering. I just hadn't heard anyone explain it yet. I didn't think they should introduce glitchiness or major changes into the game unless other options had been exhausted, whether people like it or not.

If this is the best solution to a polarizing problem with Luigi, I support it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
morpheus there are about 20 frames of vulnerability in normal brawl after a switch.

i have a revised suggestion (thanks in part to morpheus)...what about respawn invincibility switching AND dying as a pokemon doesn't auto-restore your stamina?

D

Deleted member

for those who think seperating PT isn't breaking how he was designed is wrong.
in B+ you either pick a single pokemon, or PT.

single pokemon can't switch, PT can and will also switch on death.
as it turns out, people barely play PT, but instead go for the individual pokemon.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
But why do you think that he is ruined if they are split? You can still have the option to use Pokemon Trainer. If you want to use them together, you get the gift and the curse. If you just like to use one of them, you don't get the gift and curse. If you think no one will use Pokemon trainer if you have wild pokemon versions then that means the curse is heavier than the gift so no one want it that way. There are people who use only Sheik or Zelda even when they should be used together. There those who just use Samus or ZSamus. Why not let someone who just feel comfortable with , let's say, Charizard, use him alone? Why is he forced to take the gift and curse of having to learn other 2 characters he doesn't like? He even lose a B move, but if he wants to use him that way.. why not? It's not broken. It's and option. As I say before, if Pk Trainer is ruined and no one use it anymore is because the benefits of being 3 are poor compared to the disadvantages (something I am afraid is happenning with the current system).
Contrary to popular opinions, what people choose isn't indicative of what's good. Pokemon Trainer is triple effort to learn (more really because you have to learn his unique mechanics on top of how to play three characters). This has absolutely zero impact on his real quality. It's absolutely zero. However, it has a big impact on the choices people make because people make irrational choices all the time (not the least of which involves the characters they pick!). Maybe they just plain don't like one or more of the Pokemon. Maybe they have no vision and can't understand why the unique training mechanics are helpful (Underrated mechanics in a smash game? No way!).

It's also unfair to the mains of other characters. I don't have strategies to defeat Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard persay. I have strategies for the Pokemon Trainer. Everything I have ever learned about fighting Squirtle assumes Ivysaur comes next. Everything I have ever learned about fighting Ivysaur assumes Charizard comes next. Everything I have ever learned about Charizard assumes Squirtle comes next. One of the main things I factor in when playing the Pokemon Trainer is that he can't stick to one Pokemon forever so, if I'm having trouble, I try to minimize damage and pressure him into running out of stamina and switching. It's not the same thing as learning how to fight Ganondorf because he used to be so bad you could do anything and win. At least then, you are learning strategies that work for a general character that has always been there, and what you learn to fight him here WILL help you against him in standard Brawl (if you can beat Balanced Ganon, you'll crush regular Ganon). Here, you're basically adding three new characters to the game, characters you have to fight in a really fundamentally different way from their original conceptions. It's just not good design and a terrible approach for a character who was designed from the ground up as a team. As Thinkaman said earlier and very well, it would be homogenizing the cast. We want to have the characters as different as balance allows! Why would we make a radically unique character more like everyone else if he can be balanced with his uniqueness?

I should be clear that I don't expect all characters to be equally popular even if they are equally good. Some playstyles have wide appeal (notice how having a sword and being good instantly makes any character popular, with the suddenly interesting Link and Ike getting tons of attention). Others are more niche (how easy is it for you to get excited over being slow and campy and living forever like Samus and R.O.B.?). The extremes are Pokemon Trainer, Yoshi, and Ice Climbers who require a ground up different approach from the rest of the cast to play well. You probably aren't ever going to secondary any of them because they are too much of an investment to be anything but a main, and they'll always be a lot less popular than the other characters. That is not a problem for me, and it doesn't contradict any goals of this project. As long as those who do choose to use them aren't facing a significant handicap, even if those people are few and far between, all is well.

Also, honestly, there are two characters who work as a team via character switching and 34 who don't. Why not learn one of the other 34 if you dislike team mechanics?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
for those who think seperating PT isn't breaking how he was designed is wrong.
in B+ you either pick a single pokemon, or PT.

single pokemon can't switch, PT can and will also switch on death.
as it turns out, people barely play PT, but instead go for the individual pokemon.
This is the way it should be on BBrawl.

Contrary to popular opinions, what people choose isn't indicative of what's good. Pokemon Trainer is triple effort to learn (more really because you have to learn his unique mechanics on top of how to play three characters). This has absolutely zero impact on his real quality. It's absolutely zero.
This is total circular logic. You're assuming your premise is true to arrive at your conclusion.

Maybe they just plain don't like one or more of the Pokemon. Maybe they have no vision and can't understand why the unique training mechanics are helpful (Underrated mechanics in a smash game? No way!).
Or maybe they like ALL characters, but don't like being forced to use one in a match just to use another.

It's also unfair to the mains of other characters. I don't have strategies to defeat Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard persay. I have strategies for the Pokemon Trainer.

Everything I have ever learned about fighting Squirtle assumes Ivysaur comes next. Everything I have ever learned about fighting Ivysaur assumes Charizard comes next. Everything I have ever learned about Charizard assumes Squirtle comes next. One of the main things I factor in when playing the Pokemon Trainer is that he can't stick to one Pokemon forever so, if I'm having trouble, I try to minimize damage and pressure him into running out of stamina and switching.
This is a really... REALLY bad argument; one that flat-out explains why PT should be able to have separate Pokemon. You just specifically said that if you don't like one Pokemon, all you have to do is wait Trainer out and he'll be forced to give you the advantage. No other character has EVER had to do that, so it's not fair that Trainer has to.

Here, you're basically adding three new characters to the game, characters you have to fight in a really fundamentally different way from their original conceptions.
No you don't. The only change is that you can't twiddle your thumbs, exhaust your opponent, and force them to move the match-up in your favor. Instead of stalling Squirtle to fight Ivy, you have to FIGHT Squirtle. Are you seriously justifying stalling tactics over actual fighting? Because that's certainly the way it sounds to me.

As Thinkaman said earlier and very well, it would be homogenizing the cast. We want to have the characters as different as balance allows! Why would we make a radically unique character more like everyone else if he can be balanced with his uniqueness?
Because the uniqueness is almost entirely bad, and is a flaw that no other character has, thereby making it unbalanced.

Also, honestly, there are two characters who work as a team via character switching and 34 who don't. Why not learn one of the other 34 if you dislike team mechanics?
I have still yet to see a competitive Zelda that switches to Sheik and vice-versa. I see a lot of Sheik mains (I miss you, Gimpyfish), a couple of Zelda mains, but I've never seen a Zelda/Sheik.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Contrary to popular opinions, what people choose isn't indicative of what's good. Pokemon Trainer is triple effort to learn (more really because you have to learn his unique mechanics on top of how to play three characters). This has absolutely zero impact on his real quality. It's absolutely zero. However, it has a big impact on the choices people make because people make irrational choices all the time (not the least of which involves the characters they pick!). Maybe they just plain don't like one or more of the Pokemon. Maybe they have no vision and can't understand why the unique training mechanics are helpful (Underrated mechanics in a smash game? No way!).

It's also unfair to the mains of other characters. I don't have strategies to defeat Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard persay. I have strategies for the Pokemon Trainer. Everything I have ever learned about fighting Squirtle assumes Ivysaur comes next. Everything I have ever learned about fighting Ivysaur assumes Charizard comes next. Everything I have ever learned about Charizard assumes Squirtle comes next. One of the main things I factor in when playing the Pokemon Trainer is that he can't stick to one Pokemon forever so, if I'm having trouble, I try to minimize damage and pressure him into running out of stamina and switching. It's not the same thing as learning how to fight Ganondorf because he used to be so bad you could do anything and win. At least then, you are learning strategies that work for a general character that has always been there, and what you learn to fight him here WILL help you against him in standard Brawl (if you can beat Balanced Ganon, you'll crush regular Ganon). Here, you're basically adding three new characters to the game, characters you have to fight in a really fundamentally different way from their original conceptions. It's just not good design and a terrible approach for a character who was designed from the ground up as a team. As Thinkaman said earlier and very well, it would be homogenizing the cast. We want to have the characters as different as balance allows! Why would we make a radically unique character more like everyone else if he can be balanced with his uniqueness?

I should be clear that I don't expect all characters to be equally popular even if they are equally good. Some playstyles have wide appeal (notice how having a sword and being good instantly makes any character popular, with the suddenly interesting Link and Ike getting tons of attention). Others are more niche (how easy is it for you to get excited over being slow and campy and living forever like Samus and R.O.B.?). The extremes are Pokemon Trainer, Yoshi, and Ice Climbers who require a ground up different approach from the rest of the cast to play well. You probably aren't ever going to secondary any of them because they are too much of an investment to be anything but a main, and they'll always be a lot less popular than the other characters. That is not a problem for me, and it doesn't contradict any goals of this project. As long as those who do choose to use them aren't facing a significant handicap, even if those people are few and far between, all is well.

In fact.. I like team mechanics! But other people do not. Many wish they could use only one pokemon and throw themselves into the arena. Is something new and interesting in its own way. Something that is possible with these hacks.

If you are used to those tactics against a Pokemon Trainer, then just simply learn to fight Wild Pokemon. It shouldn't be THAT different isn't it? He won't get tired anymore. You still have to bring him down similar to before. It won't be the only new tactic you will have to learn/change in BBrawl.

Sadly, for those who like just one of the 3 pokemons, team mechanics are forced on them not by their own will. And if they are not willing to do it, or they are not able to get good with the 3 pokemon, they will quit and won't get the chance to use and become good with the one they liked. They will quit Pokemon Trainer. Let those who like team mechanics choose them because they will to do so. Not becuase it is forced on them. That's my point.

If you have decided not to split them. Well, I will respect that. I hope you at least think of it before the final release.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
to be fair, AA, some people might absolutely adore one pokemon and despise the other two. my favorite video game series is pokemon, and my favorite pokemon is squirtle. so it can be said that squirtle is my favorite video game character ever. i have grown to love the other two (well, in bbrawl anyway in ivysaur's case) but i can see someone else in my position being disappointed at how pt works and not being able to play only one pokemon.

anyway splitting them isn't necessary because all three are decent to good now.

when it comes to stamina, i really think that the timer portion, at least, has to go.

when it comes to switching, the two most fair solutions are either speeding up the actual process (which thinkaman is looking into) or enabling invincibility switching, while possibly eliminating the ability to recover 100% stamina automatically on a pokemon that is KO'd. what that would do is punish players who try to switch back to the first pokemon as quickly as possible, while giving you the opportunity to avoid a really bad matchup if necessary. falco ***** ivysaur and beats charizard, snake ***** charizard and beats squirtle, marth ***** squirtle...and charizard...idk about bbivysaur. these are just examples. but basically you'd be using the pokemon that does the best, along with one that loses, but not badly. and avoiding a terrible one.

i think the first solution makes more sense and is more useful in more situations (ie the second doesn't help you against someone that is stalling you out or if your next pokemon would get a key game clinching KO much more effectively because it simply has more options or would be fresh, or any other reason to switch mid-stock) but you can never have too many suggestions to try out. =]

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is the way it should be on BBrawl.

This is total circular logic. You're assuming your premise is true to arrive at your conclusion.

Or maybe they like ALL characters, but don't like being forced to use one in a match just to use another.

This is a really... REALLY bad argument; one that flat-out explains why PT should be able to have separate Pokemon. You just specifically said that if you don't like one Pokemon, all you have to do is wait Trainer out and he'll be forced to give you the advantage. No other character has EVER had to do that, so it's not fair that Trainer has to.

No you don't. The only change is that you can't twiddle your thumbs, exhaust your opponent, and force them to move the match-up in your favor. Instead of stalling Squirtle to fight Ivy, you have to FIGHT Squirtle. Are you seriously justifying stalling tactics over actual fighting? Because that's certainly the way it sounds to me.

Because the uniqueness is almost entirely bad, and is a flaw that no other character has, thereby making it unbalanced.

I have still yet to see a competitive Zelda that switches to Sheik and vice-versa. I see a lot of Sheik mains (I miss you, Gimpyfish), a couple of Zelda mains, but I've never seen a Zelda/Sheik.
It's not circular logic; it was just an assertion. The reason it's true is because effort to learn isn't indicated in a real match. Current ability is all that's tested; the road you took to get to where you are has no effect on how you play, only how you are now matters. This is obvious because you play in the present, not the past.

If they don't like how the character works, they don't like the character. It's not complicated.

Also, how is that a bad argument? Playing defensively is a perfect legitimate strategy (if you don't think it is, Brawl is not the game for you!). It's not insta-win; it's just a strategy that is true for all games, not just Brawl. When you are in a position of strength (in this case, using your best Pokemon or fighting against their worst), take the initiative. When you are in a position of weakness (using your worst or fighting against their best), play carefully and try to wait it out until you are back in strength. Only a shallow game would reward always attacking. Making something that used to be a situation where you made this kind of choice into the whole game is radical. What is the wrong here?

Another thing to consider is that you seem to have the default backward. In standard Brawl, PT is one character. Show me a Charizard (or Squirtle or Ivysaur) main and I'll show you a fool because you just can't viably do it. So, you are talking like we're being unfair to the mains of individual Pokemon, but who is that? This is a group of people that should not exist so I'm confused at who is being wronged.

D

Deleted member

orion, my point was that it would make a char like PT obsolete. this may be acceptable in B+ (squirtle is actually cool), but it dosen't fit into BBrawl.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
If they don't like how the character works, they don't like the character. It's not complicated.
Let's me put it to you another way:

DeDeDe's forward smash is part of his character. Should I be forced to use his forward smash if I have a better option for KOing with him at the time?

Also, how is that a bad argument? Playing defensively is a perfect legitimate strategy (if you don't think it is, Brawl is not the game for you!). It's not insta-win; it's just a strategy that is true for all games, not just Brawl. When you are in a position of strength (in this case, using your best Pokemon or fighting against their worst), take the initiative. When you are in a position of weakness (using your worst or fighting against their best), play carefully and try to wait it out until you are back in strength. Only a shallow game would reward always attacking. Making something that used to be a situation where you made this kind of choice into the whole game is radical. What is the wrong here?
There's a major difference between pacing yourself in order to gain position on your enemy and letting the clock tick so your enemy either becomes tired or is forced to give you an advantaged match-up.

Another thing to consider is that you seem to have the default backward. In standard Brawl, PT is one character. Show me a Charizard (or Squirtle or Ivysaur) main and I'll show you a fool because you just can't viably do it. So, you are talking like we're being unfair to the mains of individual Pokemon, but who is that? This is a group of people that should not exist so I'm confused at who is being wronged.
Not the people who DO main individual Pokemon, but the people that have always WANTED to, but were held back because of this stupid character flaw. Same as people that have wanted to main Link, Ike, or Ganondorf before BBrawl.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You don't have to, but if all of your other KO moves are stale it may be what you need to do. Likewise, you always could just switch twice after every death; it would just be dumb. Just like not using every tool at the disposal of King Dedede makes you a bad King Dedede player, not using all the Pokemon makes you a bad PT player. And yes, restrictions the game puts on you are a part of this.

You can only "let the clock tick" if the PT player doesn't play aggressively. Of course, if he's at the advantage, he will. You attempt to employ a strategy (waste time until his advantage passes). He attempts to stop your strategy (play aggressively while he has the advantage). It's all fair and all normal.

People were always able to main Link, Ike, and Ganondorf; they were just bad. In my region, a Link main, a Ganon main, and an Ike main are regular tournament attendees (along with almost every other character; Midwest-West is the most character diverse region of the country). I see no evidence people were even that dissuaded by characters being bad; things just kinda sucked for them. You just literally couldn't main the Pokemon; the game would switch you away. There are real Link, Ganon, and Ike mains to benefit here. It's not the same with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
You don't have to, but if all of your other KO moves are stale it may be what you need to do.
Generally speaking, you can circumvent stale moves by landing light attacks and pummels (easy to do for DeDeDe). You can't do much of anything to circumvent PT's problems, though.

Just like not using every tool at the disposal of King Dedede makes you a bad King Dedede player,
I'm not talking about using every tool, I'm talking about being FORCED to use certain tools at inopportune times that can't be avoided.

You can only "let the clock tick" if the PT player doesn't play aggressively. Of course, if he's at the advantage, he will. You attempt to employ a strategy (waste time until his advantage passes). He attempts to stop your strategy (play aggressively while he has the advantage). It's all fair and all normal.
See many Sonic/PT matches?

People were always able to main Link, Ike, and Ganondorf; they were just bad.
Same with people that mained individual Pokemon. There are people that do for ****s and giggles... same as Ice Climber and Nolimar.

I see no evidence people were even that dissuaded by characters being bad; things just kinda sucked for them. You just literally couldn't main the Pokemon; the game would switch you away. There are real Link, Ganon, and Ike mains to benefit here. It's not the same with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.
It couldn't be realistically done within the constraints of the game. No that the potential to lift those constraints is there, I see no reason not to. If someone thinks Charizard is awesome but not Squirtle, I say let them show what they've got with Charizard.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Did... you seriously just call the people who mained those characters jokes? Mr Doom, our local Ike main, was the only person in pools at the last tournament to beat Anther 2-0 (and yes, he did it using Ike). I don't think there's anyone in our region who hasn't lost to Legan's Link at some point in the past. As per TwilightPrince (the Ganon), well, he got 4th at a 50+ person tournament, one place shy of money. I don't think people were too busy laughing at Ganon by that point. To be honest, it's hard to take the rest of what you say seriously if you look at the mains of these characters this way.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Sir Orion is defending a rightful point. To allow those who just want to use one pokemon, to do it. "So you like Charizard? well, take the whole package or eat dirt". Is that a way to encourage people to use Pokemon Trainer? It won't work. If they don't want or if they can't learn the other two. If they don't like team mechanics. It is the end of it. We will not get a Charizard main or a Pokemon Trainer main. Why? Just because a fair option was dennied to them. We loose something and gain nothing. If the option is enabled, we gain something (in gameplay terms and making a player happy in a fair way) and loose nothing (pk trainer will still be there for those who love his uniqueness).

So wild pokemon would be a plus to Balanced Brawl, and I don't have to make a poll to know that more people would be pleased and happy with the wild pokemon option. Isn't that a very good reason by itself? More happy players within a balanced game?

If I liked Pokemon Trainer uniqueness, I wouldn't care at all if there are wild pokemon. Why should I? No one should really be against this new option. Unless he has a caprice to forcefully suggest team gameplay on wild pokemon lovers.

By adding wild pokemon your are not taking anything away from pokemon trainer. Those who like his uniqueness will use it, and those who don't, won't. You must understand this.
But you will surely give something new and nice to the game and to many players.

Those who love just one pokemon, will be happy and thankful. And, more important of all, balance would remain pure. n_n So why the hell not!! :)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Then you agree those characters are fundamentally different from Link, Ganon, and Ike? I don't intend to reward playing as Nolimar and Ice Climber; why should I reward playing as Squirtle?

There are endless fair options that could be in the game. We are only providing a limited number. It's not unreasonable; it's just how it works out.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
The thing is, we're changing a drastic element of vBrawl by adding Wild Pokemon. They're essentially new characters with new strategies.

By simply removing the Stamina Timer, camping is no longer an issue.

Your bad advantage (Squirtle) has the percent lead. You can't camp his stamina anymore because, guess what? It's not dwindling down unless he approaches you. PT has lost a large chunk of his curse.

I'd say the halfway point is:

- Remove Stamina Timer
- Increase Max amount of Stamina (so people can use their favourite longer)
- Stamina is restored by X points for Taunting/Powershielding.*
- Stamina does not auto-restore on death, but restores over time faster.*

*** Might not be possible.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Then you agree those characters are fundamentally different from Link, Ganon, and Ike?
Insofar as they're not used seriously in tournaments, yes. NOT in terms of competitive results (because Link and Ike don't have them) and NOT in terms of having a serious unfair weakness that should be addressed.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't know what you mean by playing aggressively while he has the "advantage"...what kind of advantage is that? the pt pokemon are normal characters until they are fatigued. they aren't at an advantage simply because they have the same attack multiplier as everyone else (aside from lucario). a squirtle playing aggressively against a character with a sword or similar disjointed hitboxes will fail (although a patient squirtle can feign aggressiveness sometimes simply because squirtle is so good at baiting attacks and combining a flurry of attacks that make him seem aggressive) ...squirtle's optimal strategy should probably be to play like a mini-wario with better ground options... anyway, an aggressive ivysaur will also fail against pretty much anyone because he has weak approach options. and charizard is similar to ivysaur in that he benefits more from a patient zoning game, focused around retreating rock smash/flamethrower and his great out of shield options since his only safe on shield moves are probably flamethrower (they may get hit and DI into you and hit you anyway) and auto cancel bair, which won't hit shorter characters. rock smash eats a ton of shield but is still quite punishable, assuming the move doesn't shield poke.

so what i'm trying to say is, stamina also works against the pokemon if they are playing to their strengths as characters. and that's contradictory and a pretty dumb handicap.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I mean when you're using whatever your best Pokemon in a matchup is you're at an advantage. If I'm camping, you should just run away yourself and then switch if you are using a bad Pokemon for the matchup (the only reason you wouldn't do this in general against camping is because you might like your current Pokemon more than the next one). It is fair to catagorize this as an advantage situation too since, even though you're a "normal" character, you could become another at any time with the odds (when PT is well balanced) that at least one of them is positive in any matchup. That's very different from the situation with, say, Marth where if you are in a bad matchup with Marth, you're in a bad matchup with Marth and nothing you can do will change that. With PT, the overall character matchup in terms of active characters being positive is temporary, thus something you really factor into your choice of how aggressively to play.

Also, doing things like being "aggressive" at arm's reach with Ivysaur with things like bair is possible, and it's a big contrast to, say, running to the other side of the stage and throwing Razor Leaf.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I mean when you're using whatever your best Pokemon in a matchup is you're at an advantage. If I'm camping, you should just run away yourself and then switch if you are using a bad Pokemon for the matchup (the only reason you wouldn't do this in general against camping is because you might like your current Pokemon more than the next one).
Somewhere, there is a Sonic player having an evil laugh at this.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
running away and switching is only a viable strategy if you are playing ganondorf or something. or if the switching move is made faster. which is a strong possibility at this point. :D

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
hey any info on bbrawl at genesis?
for pokemnon switch umm knockback resistance?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If we could offer an alternate version of Olimar without pivot grabs and with normal priority on his moves, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Luigi with much better air speed but no up-b, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Jigglypuff with poor air speed but heavier weight, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Marth with great throws but less range, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Pokemon trainer without stamina or the ability to switch, would we? No, of course not.

We're not in the business of offering new options to players, especially when those new options are more homogenized and less unique. Sure, the Pokemon have their own strengths and weaknesses like other characters... but Olimar without pivot grabs or priority problems would still have lots of pros and cons too. Doesn't make that a good idea either.

We're trying to balance the game, not make an expansion pack. Even if offering fragments of PT is a playable, even somewhat elegant possibility, it is still a major design change.

hankydysplasia

Smash Cadet
I think all this PT discussion was good, in that it uncovered the areas that were polarizing for PT. If you have a timer-based stamina then, the characters who stall can wear you down and have a big advantage. Therefore that needs to be taken out. Also, if the Pokémon cannot possibly switch to get rid of their stamina without being severely punished, it seems like that should be removed, because buffing to overcome that would no doubt cause more polarization in other areas. (Of course, we much watch for character change stalling.)

However, I really do not see any arguments for making 3 separate characters to be consistent with the goals of this project. The arguments seem to be made on the basis of "forcing" players to play other characters. This doesn't cause a chain grab and doesn't unbalance match-ups if you view PT as 1 characters with 3 personas (which is clearly the way it was meant in vBrawl) so it should be left as is.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
running away and switching is only a viable strategy if you are playing ganondorf or something. or if the switching move is made faster. which is a strong possibility at this point. :D
On my latest timings, the stuff I am testing prevents all characters except those faster than MK from getting to PT during their switch, if they start running from the opposite side of FD EXACTLY as the switch happens. Obviously, people are much slower if they start in the air.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that's good...i think a more useful barometer would be to hit the opponent with a decent but not amazingly strong attack (like ivysaur fair @ mid percents or something) and see how safe that is.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
If we could offer an alternate version of Olimar without pivot grabs and with normal priority on his moves, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Luigi with much better air speed but no up-b, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Jigglypuff with poor air speed but heavier weight, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Marth with great throws but less range, would we? No, of course not.

If we could offer an alternate version of Pokemon trainer without stamina or the ability to switch, would we? No, of course not.

We're not in the business of offering new options to players, especially when those new options are more homogenized and less unique. Sure, the Pokemon have their own strengths and weaknesses like other characters... but Olimar without pivot grabs or priority problems would still have lots of pros and cons too. Doesn't make that a good idea either.

We're trying to balance the game, not make an expansion pack. Even if offering fragments of PT is a playable, even somewhat elegant possibility, it is still a major design change.
This has nothing to do with creating new versions of other characters. What is this comparison?
It seems that you just don't want to do it and that's all. So arguments won't help, sadly. You say this would be a MAJOR design change. Compared to what you have already done, this is nothing. I honestly don't see the big deal. But if you say, not an expansion pack, not the will to please wild pokemon lovers. Ok. I give up.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Right now we're talking about speeding up swapping times (loading aside, there are a lot of animations associated that can be sped up). This is likely to be done for the final release, and it should make just using Down-B a good solution to opponents who are stalling you out in just the right ways (Sonic will probably always get a free dash attack; just accept that and move on really).

We're still playing with exactly how fast we want things, of course.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I think Morpheus hit the nail on the head. It's no more major of a design change than what's already been done, and it's only being fair to people that like one character but not another. No one else is forced to use more than one character with no input on their part.

All of the aspects of every other character can be controlled. You can control when you do a certain move. You can control when you move to a certain place. You can control your character's options. You CAN'T control auto-switching. It doesn't give you an option. It's the ONLY incidence in which a character is not able to have any say over a specific aspect of himself. Therefore, it's not a fair thing to force on the character. You're not fighting your opponent, your fighting your character's programming. That's not fair.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
that sounds excellent AA, and should put to rest most of the debate around how PT works (separate from the pokemon themselves)

about solo pokemon, the codes already exist, you can play around with it. if a majority of bbrawl TO's (in the future) allow for the solo poke hacks then there ya go. if not then so be it. this isn't the end all be all, just whether the codes will be included in the official pack.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i would like to apologise for the people looking for bbrawl at genesis, they really needed every setup the entire time to get it done, so i never got a chance to get it set up :/

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Hmm... how many people have this setup that play online? It'd be cool to have a grouping of people to play BBrawl online with.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
i would like to apologise for the people looking for bbrawl at genesis, they really needed every setup the entire time to get it done, so i never got a chance to get it set up :/
I was looking for it and never found it. :mad:

Simna actually got to run Brawl+ once the bracket was being emptied though... >___>

But it's alright, the place really was packed.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
We need some replays up on youtube... People need to see that Balanced Brawl is being played by many and how it is played. I have some matches but no way to bring them to the PC right now. Are you going to add the name tags on replays to the BBrawl codes? I did it manually but it is a nice addition to the pack.

IMPORTANT: I have to report that when you watch a replay with a different set of codes. the replay changes and characters go and kill themselves stupidly. I guess replay uses input data or something and if you recorded something in vBrawl and you watch it on BBrawl, it collapses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom