• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bad Internet Ban (technical questions/fixes)

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
I get that error here and there on quickplay, but not in arenas unless someone kicks me out.
Isn't hotfox for "Piranha plant corrupt save file" published yet? When they publish hotfix, my problem can be solved. Right?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Isn't hotfox for "Piranha plant corrupt save file" published yet? When they publish hotfix, my problem can be solved. Right?
No idea. Possibly. Sorry I can't be more help. If it keeps happening, I'd still ask Nintendo support

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Yes. The joycons feel too flimsy and I feel like if I squeeze them too hard they’ll just break. You might be better off just getting one of the PowerA wireless GameCube controllers and play portably with that.
You'd be surprised how much abuse they can take. Like if you're going to throw a controller across the room, i recommend joy cons. They just separate from that controller base that they slide into, rather than exploding.

On a serious note, I believe that joy cons have the lowest input lag of all controller options, although I can't remember where i read this. To me, the main annoyance is that they are a bit small and the c stick is kinda close to your thumb in an annoying way.

ppxt

Smash Rookie
Probably, but if you want, you could get a USB to USB C adapter. That way you can plug in that controller into the switch for handheld purposes. You'd probably still want to find a stand though.
sir for all that is holy dont use a power a controller, they are no where near as good as a real nintendo controller, buy a official controller and get an 8bitdo wireless adapter

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I use Joycons all the time, either in handheld, as a controller, or using them as dual Joycons no problem. They work, and that's what I like about them.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
sir for all that is holy dont use a power a controller, they are no where near as good as a real nintendo controller, buy a official controller and get an 8bitdo wireless adapter
Well, the op stated he already has one. That's why I said he could do that. Of course they're not as good as the official controller, but they're actually pretty good for the most part. I own a wired PowerA controller and it doesn't feel bad or anything. My one gripe is that the sticks are a little too big for my liking. I also have a GC wireless version of their controller and that one is also very good. The triggers being digital is the only issue I have. I'd never would suggest them to a competitive standpoint but I don't see the OP taking things to that level.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
The Power A has been ok with the exception of one major problem: the b button sticks! This is a recent development, but it has lost me some matches. Time for an alternative.

funkyseefunkydo

Smash Rookie
You will get used to it, like I did. I mostly play handheld now. It's much more comfortable on my bed than the tv/couch :)
Takes a bit of adjusting. Analog sticks are more sensitive because of the short throw to the traditional controllers. Also definitely more awkward using the right stick for aerials, and I've noticed a bad habit of mine in avoiding using right stick aerials because of it.
What I do like with the joycons however are short hopping to aerials. The buttons are flat and closer together, and feels nicer sliding between the buttons than the GC and Pro controllers.
Durability of the joycons are questionable as my left stick got stuck upwards after a lot of hours mashing the crap out of it. Only bought my switch a few months before SSBU was released too. After replacing the overpriced joycons, I'm trying to preserve them by playing "slower" characters, like Ganon and Samus. I'm around 3.75 mil gsp ... respectable I think, considering its lack of ergonomics.
But yeah, I rarely get turned off from my technical limitations with the joycons now, although I reckon I'm gonna burn through many more left joycons and $$$ playing smash handheld.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
You will get used to it, like I did. I mostly play handheld now. It's much more comfortable on my bed than the tv/couch :)
Takes a bit of adjusting. Analog sticks are more sensitive because of the short throw to the traditional controllers. Also definitely more awkward using the right stick for aerials, and I've noticed a bad habit of mine in avoiding using right stick aerials because of it.
What I do like with the joycons however are short hopping to aerials. The buttons are flat and closer together, and feels nicer sliding between the buttons than the GC and Pro controllers.
Durability of the joycons are questionable as my left stick got stuck upwards after a lot of hours mashing the crap out of it. Only bought my switch a few months before SSBU was released too. After replacing the overpriced joycons, I'm trying to preserve them by playing "slower" characters, like Ganon and Samus. I'm around 3.75 mil gsp ... respectable I think, considering its lack of ergonomics.
But yeah, I rarely get turned off from my technical limitations with the joycons now, although I reckon I'm gonna burn through many more left joycons and $$$ playing smash handheld.
I have gotten more used to it. It's mainly the cramping that is the most persistent problem now.

Also, I had that same problem with my Joycon, but I sent it to Nintendo and they fixed it.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
why would i want to play handheld mode if i got a big flatscreen smart tv in my room? xD

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
The only thing i do while playing handheld is sending my spirits out for expedition. Everything else happens in docked mode with pro Controller. If I visit my parents and want to play without a tv I bring my Controller with me and play in tabletop mode.

I can’t really play with Joycons. Especially since i started playing with claw grip on my right hand.

ppxt

Smash Rookie
Well, the op stated he already has one. That's why I said he could do that. Of course they're not as good as the official controller, but they're actually pretty good for the most part. I own a wired PowerA controller and it doesn't feel bad or anything. My one gripe is that the sticks are a little too big for my liking. I also have a GC wireless version of their controller and that one is also very good. The triggers being digital is the only issue I have. I'd never would suggest them to a competitive standpoint but I don't see the OP taking things to that level.
even at a casual level I feel the ONGC is soo much more comfortable, I know not everyone is as touchy as I am with controllers but the ONGC gives a feel no third party controller can emulate, to be fair though the power A controllers are probably the closest thing

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So sometimes a match will be running perfectly smoothly, no lag or anything, actually feels nice to play. Then sometimes I’ll zero to death the first stock or go up by two stock or something and my opponent knows they’re going to loss (it only happens in these situations, never when I’m losing). When they’re sitting there about to respawn the game stalls for about 10-15 seconds (enough to make it so there’s no GSP gain or lose) and then everything runs perfectly smoothly again. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it an exploit people are employing to not lose GSP?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
When ppl quit, the game freezes for a few seconds to replace the player with a bot. They still lose GSP for quitting.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
You dont? Thats weird; i thought you did if, you win against the bot and, finish the match.
Nah I don’t at least. Maybe it’s something with my specific game but it’ll stay at the same GSP

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
You are correct. If someone rage quits / disconnects for any reason the game will attempt to replace them with a cpu. The person(s) who dropped lose whatever GSP was at stake (determined at the beginning of the match during the matching process) but those remaining to fight the cpu and win or lose gain/lose 0.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
You are correct. If someone rage quits / disconnects for any reason the game will attempt to replace them with a cpu. The person(s) who dropped lose whatever GSP was at stake (determined at the beginning of the match during the matching process) but those remaining to fight the cpu and win or lose gain/lose 0.
Well that certainly explains what happened the other day.

FWIW, I also had a match recently where the game lagged out badly halfway through, and then I lost, but my opponent challenged me to a rematch. So, sometimes there are just hiccups in the connection.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You dont? Thats weird; i thought you did if, you win against the bot and, finish the match.
There was this Wolf my brother fought by the name TeslaStyles. I'm name dropping this person because of what they did. My brother spiked the guy on his last stock, and suddenly, the match froze with the loading Smash Ball in the bottom right corner. When it came to the results screen, my brother gained no GSP, and the Wolf main lost none. My brother reported the guy for cheating, because that's basically what it was.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
So this is sort of exploitable in that you can eat a DC temp ban to rob somebody of their GSP gain. You still lose GSP, but they get nothing... Sounds kinda toxic lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So this is sort of exploitable in that you can eat a DC temp ban to rob somebody of their GSP gain. You still lose GSP, but they get nothing... Sounds kinda toxic lol.
It is totally toxic lol when the salt is real and ppl drop out its like a mouth full of garbage juice

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
It is totally toxic lol when the salt is real and ppl drop out its like a mouth full of garbage juice
Yeah, i guess we shouldn't be surprised that a garbage system produces garbage results. It should just give the winner the rating for doing the mental damage to force a rage quit. Seems like a silly decision that Sakurai made without thinking it out at all... just like everything else involving online play lol.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, you people will complain about others using cheesy strategies or rulesets to climb the GSP ladder, but lucking your way there via a string of opponent disconnects is perfectly acceptable?

There is, and has never been a way for gaming machines to distinguish the reasons for a lost connection. The best you can do is punish those who drop connections frequently, regardless of reason since they undeniably hurt the experience for everyone else.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
So, you people will complain about others using cheesy strategies or rulesets to climb the GSP ladder, but lucking your way there via a string of opponent disconnects is perfectly acceptable?

There is, and has never been a way for gaming machines to distinguish the reasons for a lost connection. The best you can do is punish those who drop connections frequently, regardless of reason since they undeniably hurt the experience for everyone else.
Who said any of that? the discussion is that the game doesn't give you GSP for winning when the opponent disconnects. Getting lucky rating off of DCs is such low probability that it would not be an issue in any meaningful way. Giving players a motivation to DC and rob their opponents of rating right before they lose is way worse.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411

But you don’t gain GSP from disconnects and the ones we’re talking about were obviously deliberate. That’s ban worthy say if it happens more than 3 times

Plus there’s no way to cheese your GSP up from disconnects. You can’t control if a player disconnects and you gain zero GSP anyway when they do disconnect

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But you don’t gain GSP from disconnects and the ones we’re talking about were obviously deliberate. That’s ban worthy say if it happens more than 3 times

Plus there’s no way to cheese your GSP up from disconnects. You can’t control if a player disconnects and you gain zero GSP anyway when they do disconnect
This isn't about people intentionally using disconnects to go up (although you'd better believe someone WILL find a way to abuse it if such a system of rewarding you for other people's disconnects existed), it's about players winding up facing players way beyond their level without meaning to just because their opponents dropped out for reasons that are not always due to losing.

At any rate, I can count the number of "deliberate" opponent disconnects I've encountered on one hand over hundreds of matches, so I'd say the ban system we have right now, along with still losing your own GSP are enough as deterrents to prevent this "toxic strategy" from being widespread. One way or another, you aren't likely to see the people pulling this on you again any time soon.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
This isn't about people intentionally using disconnects to go up (although you'd better believe someone WILL find a way to abuse it if such a system of rewarding you for other people's disconnects existed), it's about players winding up facing players way beyond their level without meaning to just because their opponents dropped out for reasons that are not always due to losing.

At any rate, I can count the number of "deliberate" opponent disconnects I've encountered on one hand over hundreds of matches, so I'd say the ban system we have right now, along with still losing your own GSP are enough as deterrents to prevent this "toxic strategy" from being widespread. One way or another, you aren't likely to see the people pulling this on you again any time soon.
Players already consistently get mismatched because the system is a pile of steaming trash. A vast majority of each GSP ladder is made up of fake ratings from players that have never even played the character. That alone makes GSP a worthless tool for match making across 95% of the ladder. It only becomes cleaner in elite smash or super low GSP where its purely active players and not diluted with fake ranks.

I wouldn't worry too much about a fringe conversation on how DCs affect GSP gains and losses. just ignore it.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Players already consistently get mismatched because the system is a pile of steaming trash. A vast majority of each GSP ladder is made up of fake ratings from players that have never even played the character. That alone makes GSP a worthless tool for match making across 95% of the ladder. It only becomes cleaner in elite smash or super low GSP where its purely active players and not diluted with fake ranks.

I wouldn't worry too much about a fringe conversation on how DCs affect GSP gains and losses. just ignore it.
This is true. I do believe there’s a background matchmaking system behind GSP tho

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
This is true. I do believe there’s a background matchmaking system behind GSP tho
Yeah there most likely is. It's just not clear what it is or why its so bad. Like you can be 100k GSP and get a 3 mil player and you lose the same amount of GSP as if you lost to another 80k. Its silly whatever it is.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah there most likely is. It's just not clear what it is or why its so bad. Like you can be 100k GSP and get a 3 mil player and you lose the same amount of GSP as if you lost to another 80k. Its silly whatever it is.
Yeah it is. I mean I have Ness in elite and when I pick up a new character and lose 5 in a row or so and get down to 200-300gsp I start winning and then I get matched up with 3.5mil players. Maybe it has something to do with your results with other characters and overall win rate

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it is. I mean I have Ness in elite and when I pick up a new character and lose 5 in a row or so and get down to 200-300gsp I start winning and then I get matched up with 3.5mil players. Maybe it has something to do with your results with other characters and overall win rate
Same thing happens to me. Rarely when im on a high gsp character, but like every other match when im playing at low GSP is somebody like 20 times my rating lol. It definitely adds a layer of annoyance to digging out when you're not even playing people from your rating bracket.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I could care less if my opponent is 2,000,000 above or below me. What's important to me is if the person felt good to fight.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
I could care less if my opponent is 2,000,000 above or below me. What's important to me is if the person felt good to fight.
Sure, it is the ranking systems job to match up opponents as equally as possible to create challenging but fair fights. It does not accomplish that very well at the moment. A 100k going up against a 3 mil and it being a fair fight, which happens all the time if you're a high gsp player on a low ranked alt, is perfect proof of what garbage it is. Your alt should never be pushed to that low of a rating, but its literally holding you to a higher standard since your mains are highly ranked. This produces losses and sinks your alts rating way below where you actually belong.

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
When ppl quit, the game freezes for a few seconds to replace the player with a bot. They still lose GSP for quitting.
They actually get replaced with a cpu? Lmfao that's funny. Never had this happen to me yet though

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Sure, it is the ranking systems job to match up opponents as equally as possible to create challenging but fair fights. It does not accomplish that very well at the moment. A 100k going up against a 3 mil and it being a fair fight, which happens all the time if you're a high gsp player on a low ranked alt, is perfect proof of what garbage it is. Your alt should never be pushed to that low of a rating, but its literally holding you to a higher standard since your mains are highly ranked. This produces losses and sinks your alts rating way below where you actually belong.
And using characters other than your mains risking dropping your usual rating doesn't happen in other games?

Top Bottom