• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bad Internet Ban (technical questions/fixes)

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Just played a dark samus that was fully committed to corner camping his projectiles. Like literally sits on the edge of FD and spams no charge B until i jump in, then picks a defensive option and never attempted to engage even once. Truly degenerate. Anyway, I start tomahawking in and reacting to his defense with a grab, and ofc he never learns to swing at my approach... and he loses... and pulls his plug after he is dead and robs me of my well earned GSP.

What i have to chuckle at is that the guy actually raged out and took a ban for this. Like he actually got upset that he lost when he was being a total piece of trash to begin with, using an abusive, but clearly punishable strategy. I can at least understand somebody DCing themselves if their opponent is using a BS rule set or camping them, like this Samus did to me, but to purposefully DC after you get throughly outplayed? What a lewwwwwsssserrrr!

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys. A few things to keep in mind with using a wired connection - I recently noticed that if you are already playing smash with your switch off of the dock, it will stay on wifi when you drop it back into the dock. I have to close out of the game to get the connection symbol in the top right to swap to wired. God only knows how much time has been spent playing on Wifi without realizing it. Online is already so terrible that you just assume its the other players! Also, i've had my adapter come loose once or twice and not noticed it for unknown amounts of time. Anyway, given the lack of visibility on the connection status in game, I've started to make a habit of hitting home and verifying the wired connection before I go online.

D

Deleted member

(Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong fourms, I'm not entirely sure where this should go.)

Hello. I am hopper13 both here and in-game in Smash Ultimate.

I used to have the very popular "Brian Gets Run Over" uploaded (one of the most popular videos in all of Smash World), and a less popular video named "Low Budget Flight" that me and a good friend of mine had a lot of fun making shortly after 3.0 was added.

I checked "Creator / You" and popular videos, and both of them seem to be gone? They weren't violating any rules and I didn't receive any form of notification about this.

I have since reuploaded the videos to Smash World today, but does anyone have any idea what happened? I'm kind of sad the original "Brain Gets Run Over" is gone since a couple of YouTubers covered it. (Although I originally never intended it to get so popular at all, I didn't put much effort in haha)

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I used to have the very popular "Brian Gets Run Over" uploaded (one of the most popular videos in all of Smash World), and a less popular video named "Low Budget Flight" that me and a good friend of mine had a lot of fun making shortly after 3.0 was added.
I heard that the oldest things posted online are getting deleted. Maybe that's it.

Edit: Yep, it's true. Some of my old stages are gone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sebas22 Sebas22 That would seem to be why then. Thank you so much for letting me know! My only question now is why, but I guess only the folk over at Nintendo would know.

GhostM

Phantom
I’m going to assume that they are doing this because most people wouldn’t look for old posts after time, trying to keep the recent stuff fresh so it wouldn’t clog. Not sure why they would decide to remove your video, as I watched it before too. I originally thought it was because clips such as an example from Smash 4 would corrupt after an update, but they would’ve removed your video a long time ago, so that wouldn’t be the reason.

Last edited:

Agghjjdfjk

Smash Rookie
I’m already at a 1:51 mins ban and the four times today the game had disconnected at the middle of the match in the first or second match after each banned. This has never happened to me before even when i used to play with wi-fi.
Has this happened to someone before? that you play without problems everyday but then some day you just got disconnected every single time even if you are wired and the internet its fine In your house?

Im frustrated and i wont play today anymore because it would only get worse for sure, if you guys have experienced this before can you tell if the next day was better? Or the problem persist for a few days for you?

elliotnz

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5906-3244
will online mode be playable on a bus with 5G?

thanks

Using a mobile phone as a hotspot

BinksBTW

Smash Rookie
Hello!

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but after I got my wired ethernet setup, I'm still getting a bit of lag online. I read a few guides on setting up a static IP and opening the Nintendo switch ports for better online connectivity. However I don't think I set it up quite right. So if anyone knows what they're doing with this I would greatly appreciate the help. For all I know I might have set it up correctly and my NAT type just didn't change over. I just didn't notice any change in my connection while playing online.

Coccinelle

Smash Apprentice
I must confess I m one of these guys playing QP with a WiFi connection and that is not great. Sometimes it is laggy (not always though) and even worst not rarely I get disconnected and lose. I have even been banned for this. BTW sorry for those who may have been bored playing against me :)
Now I m considering using a wired connection to fix that. That sucks because that means I will have to use a 30ft ethernet cable across the living room.
I was wondering if, in general, having a wired connection can help you to win online games. Does it give ou a small edge against a WiFi player (few frames advantage in your inputs?)? As I said, quite often I do not really feel the lag.
What benefits should I expect of a wired connection? The most important for me woulc be to prevent disconnection issues.

Last edited:

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
you can also get kicked out if the other people's connection is crap cause my wifi extender works great for everynintendo game even smash, so if there is lag/ input lag or i get kicked out then it's cause of the other person.

DiCE6

Smash Rookie
Just played a dark samus that was fully committed to corner camping his projectiles. Like literally sits on the edge of FD and spams no charge B until i jump in, then picks a defensive option and never attempted to engage even once. Truly degenerate. Anyway, I start tomahawking in and reacting to his defense with a grab, and ofc he never learns to swing at my approach... and he loses... and pulls his plug after he is dead and robs me of my well earned GSP.

What i have to chuckle at is that the guy actually raged out and took a ban for this. Like he actually got upset that he lost when he was being a total piece of trash to begin with, using an abusive, but clearly punishable strategy. I can at least understand somebody DCing themselves if their opponent is using a BS rule set or camping them, like this Samus did to me, but to purposefully DC after you get throughly outplayed? What a lewwwwwsssserrrr!
Wow man and I thought I was the only one experiencing this! I’m hoping Nintendo sees this trend and fixes it asap. On another note, since the 7.0 update, has anyone experienced any adverse input lag? I’m in Okinawa,Japan and always played online vs local players but since the update I’ve been playing against players in the States. This is also probably why some players DC from the match I’ve tried putting my region to Japan but it still matches me up against stateside players. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

nkmeyers

Smash Rookie
So I've been having an issue with disconnects, even when my switch is connected to the internet. When I test the connection on any device (ie my switch, my computer, my phone, my ps4, etc.), it says that I am running at 25 megabits per second. My internet is okay, but consistent in its output. For some reason, my switch is the only thing causing problems and its been really annoying when I'm about to win online and then disconnects. Now, I as well as many others hate it when people disconnect when they're losing cause its bad sportsmanship and just straight up dicky. I have never disconnected on purpose, nor will I ever because its straight up just irritable and annoying.

So one thing I've noticed is that when I am beating someone and they PURPOSEFULLY DISCONNECT (Based on their previous behavior of teabagging and other annoying dumb stuff, and the fact they are not moving at the time of the lag spike, a majority of the time it is most definitely purposeful) both my GSP and their GSP stay the same and I am not awarded credit for winning. But when I disconnect BY ACCIDENT I lose GSP because of it and get my ban stacked. I'm editing this because I've since gotten to elite smash and I frankly don't care about my GSP anymore. But HOLY **** do these disconnects irritate me, maybe even more than before. I don't care if I win or lose, I care that it disconnects me and bans me. Like, I paid money for the switch, the game, the online, and WiFi that consistently works on every other piece of technology I own. It works fine on my friend's switch.

I called Nintendo and had everything set up so that I could ship them my switch to see if they could fix that issue along with a few others, but then CV hit so I can't send them anything for repair. Is there anything I might be able to do about these disconnect issues while I wait for CV to be over with? I have tried other forums, help lines, etc. and nothing has worked so far.

If not, is there a way I can refund my online subscription for however much time I have left? This is absolutely ridiculous because the two reasons I play now (to have fun and to get better at the game) aren't able to happen with these constant disconnects and bans which are entirely out of my control.

Last edited:

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
Okay guys, you've heard it all before, so to repeat the "big lag Issue" with SSBU. Let's blast past all the normal stuff first.
1. Wired, new cat7 cables, 100mbs dl, 25mbs upload, wicked fast router, ssbu game cart, amazing monitor (no lag there), mtu 1500 (1472 - which adds for some stupid reason on my switch about 1.5 more seconds of input lag even though my router can handle 1500 mtu), IP address manually set, DNS manually set. I have 80mbs download speed and 9 mbs upload. Smash bros ultimate is unplayable for me at the moment.
I get around 1.2 second actual input delay, never any screen stuttering, only the input delay. I can't DI out of combos or start up my own. For the record, I use every type of controller. I mean every type, GC, GC usb, Hori, Joycon, etc etc etc. This issue does not go away regardless.
5G wireless is the best for playing online so far for some reason. Less input lag, but I just do not know why that is the case. Why is it better than a wired connection?
Any of you know what I can do next? ISP related, or theories? Thanks.

Secondly, has anyone hacked the switch yet to remove input lag, or improve online? I mean, if nindon't then, surely the community can.

Just for those who are wondering...I have recorded my live match of smash brothers and saved the replay, and compared them both side by side.

I am seeing on my switch screen (wired with usb c lan adapter) about 1 second behind what is actually being played. Like the images are being broadcasted instead of being played live online. Which means my opponent is like 10-20 frames ahead of me at all times.

It's so bad, I'm going to have to assume I have a defective Nintendo switch. Unless someone can relate to this issue I'm having.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Does your TV have a game mode?
Does the input lag happen even offline?

Last edited:

Hex Maniac

Smash Rookie
When I attempt to save network settings on the Switch it grays out the Save Changes button and won't let me apply changes. Anyone else have this problem?

Hex Maniac

Smash Rookie
When I attempt to save network settings on the Switch it grays out the Save Changes button and won't let me apply changes. Anyone else have this problem?
Bumping again to see if anyone had run into this problem too because I'd love to fight people online. Thanks :)

BlassTD

Smash Rookie
So I have this issue that I don't really understand

So with the Quarantine, I've been playing online tournaments. But for some reason, my gamecube controller just happens to have a stupid amount of input delay. Something like 1/4 of a second

My legit broken pro controller has no real input delay problem, so i'm using that, but it's not the same

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So I have this issue that I don't really understand

So with the Quarantine, I've been playing online tournaments. But for some reason, my gamecube controller just happens to have a stupid amount of input delay. Something like 1/4 of a second

My legit broken pro controller has no real input delay problem, so i'm using that, but it's not the same

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Try a different gcn controller?
Or a different port maybe... Not sure how that'd work like maybe have the pro controller in 1 and the gc in 2. Just some ideas.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
I think there's a way to force 15-60 frames of lag on your opponent. Hackers found some sort of bully code in the game. Certain players might use it against you while playing.

Best bet is to ban players that do it. For example, try to jump from the ground, 1 second delay. Meanwhile your opponent is pressing buttons like crazy with no issues. If this ever happens, just turn off your switch or finish the match and ban them.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
What does this mean? I highly doubt there’s a ban button, and from what I understand, arenas won’t appear in the search arena if someone who blocked you is in the arena

cpm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cpm001
3DS FC
0705-4380-2066
Switch FC
sw-0519-8110-5525
it is a nat issue you will need a b or a nat type to play online.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So has anyone else noticed an increase in control latency? I realize ultimate has the most input lag especially online but today even OFFLINE the controls had almost a half second between input and animation. I just can't play this way lol and I tried pro controller and wiichuck with the USB adapter dongle and they're both exactly the same lag. Didn't try a gcn cause I can't find it. Didn't try joycons cause that's just horrible for different reasons. Anyway anyone else notice this or am I just getting a unique issue...

Update:

Soooo TCL updated my TV and game mode got turned off. Now that it's back on its back to normal. Didn't even know there was a game mode lol ah well

Last edited:

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
Nat type A and switch overheating were my issues. I finally figured it out. So now if there is still lag, it is only your opponent, location etc. Which you can easily ban/block them if they are laggy.

EDIT: Oh and smash ultimate's bot code that matches you with crap connections if you quit matches too often. So make sure if you quit a laggy match, you don't play for a day or two afterwards. IMO, it's always best to just play the match, then block the opponent.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
would it work ok?
I played a few matches with 4G wifi Hotspot (tmo) it was only stable enough for a few minutes before dropping. In theory 5G should be better but Hotspot wifi in general is still meh. Any wifi is really meh compared to wired connection obv. But yeah it should work.

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
So if you play from 10:00am - 1:00pm, everyone's matches have 2 seconds of input lag, but my opponent doesn't have any at all.

If you play after 1:00pm it's back to the normal online, not good but playable.

What gives? What's up? Anyone else?

Top Bottom