• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Bad Internet Ban (technical questions/fixes)

D

Deleted member

IMO this is really stupid. There ought to be a forfeit button. A lot of people forfeit on me because of my insanely good skills and I do not find it so bad because I understand that my skill can be overwhelming. Unless I am conquesting because in that case it costs me a point but even that is really Nintendo's fault for making the conquest rules stupid.
I just want to say, this comment made me laugh, so thank you.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
honestly..it's nintendo that should just make sure that the switch and their games can handle wifi so they do have to fix it! nintendo is basically saying ''yeah we are to lazy to fix it and it cost to much money so go play with wired internet instead'' yeah no that's not how it works..i refuse to use wired things if i can go for wireless, cause to me going for the wired option feels like going back in time...we live in the modern time now, so nintendo should just come up with a solution for the wifi that everyone uses now :l i remember almost tripping over my wired controller cause i was multitasking and forgot my controller was still laying on the couch...or having to sit at a certain distance just to play..yeah just not my thing >~>

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
honestly..it's nintendo that should just make sure that the switch and their games can handle wifi so they do have to fix it! nintendo is basically saying ''yeah we are to lazy to fix it and it cost to much money so go play with wired internet instead'' yeah no that's not how it works..i refuse to use wired things if i can go for wireless, cause to me going for the wired option feels like going back in time...we live in the modern time now, so nintendo should just come up with a solution for the wifi that everyone uses now :l i remember almost tripping over my wired controller cause i was multitasking and forgot my controller was still laying on the couch...or having to sit at a certain distance just to play..yeah just not my thing >~>
All right, find a company that provides wi-fi which is completely impervious to interference and always runs fast enough to not have latency regardless of distance and get Nintendo on it.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Yah... Wireless networks and connections are far, far more complex then what you think they are. They aren't a "Nintendo, fix it!" sort of deal.

There are so, so many more variables in play. Hell, do you know when the last time you updated your Router/Modem's firmware was? For 99% of people, it's going to be "never," and that alone can have a massive impact on your wireless connection. Nintendo has to plan for that to try and get you, and all other users, the best possible experience. The best experience for as many people as possible.

Plus all the configuration setting differences on the Routers, Modems, and mobile hotspot **** people use.

Plus regulations they have to adhere to in different countries.

Plus all the interferences they have to handle to try and keep things stable.

Plus all the security measures that need to be taken to avoid fun things like DDoS.

Nintendo can only cover so much. To be blunt, it's extremely ignorant and uninformed of you to think of the issue as one that is so firmly in Nintendo's realm. Nintendo has done a few funny things with networking defaults and configs, sure, but there was still a general point to them. I guarantee you that there is more that you can do on your end then Nintendo can ever hope to do to fix your issue, or most other user's issues, personally.

Source: Worked in Fiber Optic Network Administration, with a focus on network connectivity.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
If you lost a game and saw your opponent was saving the replay, would get angry or would you not care?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't give a damn.
More likely than not if they wanted to put it on youtube or whatever, they'd already be recording to begin with.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Maybe if the player wasn't respectful throughout the match, but otherwise I wouldn't care if they saved my losses.

Now if it was the other way around and they saw me saving their losses, I hope the ones who teabag not only see me save the replay, but also get sent a clip version with the title "Teabag to get bodied".

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If you lost a game and saw your opponent was saving the replay, would get angry or would you not care?
How could you even tell that your opponent is saving the replays if you play online?

akki

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 2731 1357 0617
Howdy! I'm a college student that brought my own personal router and connected it to the college's supplied WAN for the purpose of setting up a Virtual Server for my Nintendo switch, hopefully letting it bypass their strict NAT type and allow me to play Smash online. I seem to have set it up in what I believe is the correct way, with the port range being 1:66535 (which https://en-americas-support.nintend...port-forwarding-for-a-nintendo-switch-console says is the correct port range for the switch), input my switch's local IP, and configured the protocol to UDP. Yet, for some reason, my switch still shows NAT type D and cannot connect to anyone via. quickplay or the battle arenas. It's fairly clear I have no clue what I'm doing, and I'd like some help with this. Practicing against level 9 computers isn't exactly a good habit afterall.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Instead of 1 to 65535 make it 49000 to 65535

But if your router doesn't allow that, or you it does not work:

Do you by chance have a computer running Windows 10?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/7omm7y/fix_for_nat_type_fdc_on_nintendo_switch/

If not, you may be at the mercy of your college IT staff. You may need to contact them to see if they are allowed to make any changes in their systems to allow your console to have privileges to obtain a different NAT type. They may not be able to, though.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
How could you even tell that your opponent is saving the replays if you play online?
It used to be obvious in For Glory - they'd sit at the results screen for a couple extra seconds before leaving or coming back for another round. If you've ever saved a replay you could tell exactly how much time it took. I guess you can still kind of see that in Ultimate, it's just not as obvious due to the lobby system being more ambiguous.

And it used to make me salty, especially if it was a bad loss. Now I don't care at all.

akki

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 2731 1357 0617
Well, the first solution didn't appear to do anything at all. But the second one definitely did begin to show some promise, resulting in a NAT type of B! But, unfortunately, it had some adverse effects on my download and upload speeds, which shot below 1 Mbps, too low for Nintendo to even consider allowing me online, throwing a "You can't play online battles right now due to an unstable network connection" error at me.

Thank you regardless! I appreciate the help. The more experimentation, the closer I get to an actual solution. That said, I'll be sure to have a chat with the IT staff at some point. My college does sponsor a smash bros e-sports team, after all, I'm sure I could use that to guilt them into giving smash some special privilege.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I hope no one gets mad at saving their losses b/c I literally save every replay. There's always something to learn. Even if you dominate the opponent there's value in seeing what you did to dominate and also watch their mistakes and learn from them.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Not sure about you folks, but I have been struggling while playing online in handheld mode. When I play 1 on 1 matches with a controller, I win quite a bit. However, when I'm playing portable style, the wins go down significantly. I also find that I botch inputs a lot more when playing in handheld. I never found playing the Switch in handheld very comfortable to begin with as my hands tend to cramp pretty easily while playing. Unfortunately, handheld is my only option for much of my available play time.

Anyone else have this problem?

Madison Turner

Smash Cadet
I tried playing a little bit of either World of Light or the spirit board (I can't remember which) one night. I can't imagine trying to play the game competitively in handheld mode, let alone with the joycons at all.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Yes. The joycons feel too flimsy and I feel like if I squeeze them too hard they’ll just break. You might be better off just getting one of the PowerA wireless GameCube controllers and play portably with that.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
So, you can't use the same controller in handheld mode? I don't know what controller you're using exactly when you have your switch docked.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yes. The joycons feel too flimsy and I feel like if I squeeze them too hard they’ll just break. You might be better off just getting one of the PowerA wireless GameCube controllers and play portably with that.
Not only that they tend to desync, lag or just plain drop connection to the switch. Definitely not Nintendo's best controllers.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I have a wired Power A controller. Guess I should save some funds to get a stand and a wireless controller.
Probably, but if you want, you could get a USB to USB C adapter. That way you can plug in that controller into the switch for handheld purposes. You'd probably still want to find a stand though.

kirby3021

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, playing in handheld mode was how I made it to Elite Smash with Ridley. It would have been much easier with a controller, though (I was traveling and didn't have the space for an extra controller).

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
I tend to avoid handheld for online. For 2 main reasons =

1 - WiFi. WiFi is bad for online.
2 - The joycons don't feel right for this game, and it's really uncomfortable to play with it.

The only times I use handheld is to play a bunch of World of Light in bed before going to sleep but that's pretty much it.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I use dual joy cons with the grip and I have no trouble at all. They actually have slightly less input lag than the pro controller but still more than the Gamecube controller. My only complaint playing dual joy cons is the buttons are really low to the controller surface which made a couple things, notably short hopping, more difficult, but with the new patch adding a shortcut method for short hopping without attacking automatically, that's not really an issue anymore.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Buy a good grip. It will not make the buttons and analog stick better, but will be much better to hold the Switch.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Are you getting a specific error code when this happens?
No... (But this message pops up "Communication error occurred ").
The screen freeze and sometimes shutdown automatically after 2.0.0 updates... I can't sure, but this things are happening much when players use Piranha plant...But I can't sure about this hypothesis...

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I have radically different controls, like A/L2 is jump, B is attack, X is special and so forth, every single time I go online I don't have my controls, it just defaults back to the standard, which I can't play with, while this has happened before on a first match it would go away the moment I reselect my name and controls, it's now all the time

I don't know what to do to fix this, anyone else have this issue and or a solution?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Have you added a new name entry on the controls menu? I'm not entirely sure, but I think I had some similar problem at the first times I played Smash onlline: I had my name Lucas with my preffered control scheme configured, but even selecting my name when selecting the character to play online, it ended up using the default control scheme. It happened some few times.
Anyway, you can also configure the default control scheme for the game even when you dont select a name. This is nice because sometimes you just forget to select your name...

My solution was: On the controls menu, just select the "NO NAME" entry and configure it to the scheme you preffer.

I did it and the problem never happened again.

Last edited:

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
Have you added a new name entry on the controls menu? I'm not entirely sure, but I think I had some similar problem at the first times I played Smash onlline: I had my name Lucas with my preffered control scheme configured, but even selecting my name when selecting the character to play online, it ended up using the default control scheme. It happened some few times.
Anyway, you can also configure the default control scheme for the game even when you dont select a name. This is nice because sometimes you just forget to select your name...

My solution was: On the controls menu, just select the "NO NAME" entry and configure it to the scheme you preffer.

I did it and the problem never happened again.
As sad as it sounds, I didn't even know you could set the NO NAME, thanks.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
No... (But this message pops up "Communication error occurred ").
The screen freeze and sometimes shutdown automatically after 2.0.0 updates... I can't sure, but this things are happening much when players use Piranha plant...But I can't sure about this hypothesis...
Any info.....?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
That happens to me when someone boots me from a room, even midmatch.

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
That happens to me when someone boots me from a room, even midmatch.
My Arena room freeze and shutdown so frequently(20 times per day)... Do you suffer this also?
(Not sure but when player use Piranha plant)

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
My Arena room freeze and shutdown so frequently... Do you suffer this also?
No, that sounds like a possible internet issue to me. You may want to check your NAT type...and make sure it's A or B.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I checked. It's B. But problems continue..
Another suggestion?
Not sure. I’d reboot all your networking equipment and if that doesn’t fix it, take a video of what’s happening and contact Nintendo support.

MugZmu

Smash Rookie
I use to only play handheld and was better due to no input lag. If you've played handheld for sometime and then switch to playing through docked to a TV, you'll notice a very slight input lag with your controls and it can get annoying if you're not use to it.

Last edited:

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
Not sure. I’d reboot all your networking equipment and if that doesn’t fix it, take a video of what’s happening and contact Nintendo support.
Okay... Do you experience frequent "Communication error has occurred "?

Top Bottom