• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Axs 3

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I dislike Unity as well, but I'm still pro MK ban.

But I don't think MK should be banned at this tourney.

Edit: M2k, just come, and play. You're respecting their sodium too much.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
so let's say I came to this tournament, and let you guys pick the first stage vs me every time and didn't ban anything either, would that help you guys want to play me?
If you come I won't be and I'm the ride for the Rochester area, now if you wanna come the day before or after the tourney to Rochester and stay with jesiah then sure I'll play you all you want.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
wow that really sucks man =/ I wish people had more competitive spirit, even if I let them choose the stage they will not come guess I am unwanted here

what do the rest of you think?

if I let you guys choose stage against me would you want to play me?

this applies to both melee and brawl btw. I will keep my word.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
I'm very competitive as everyone who knows me will tell you, but there's such a thing as knowing your current limitations and I haven't been doing any training to overcome them so as much fun as it would be to play you again and have you sandbag me in friendlies (im like 5-2 against you and I know that means nothing) I'd rather spend my money on food or for traveling for a game I actually practice.

I'm not saying don't come, because I know some people would love to get to play you, I'm just not into smash as much as I used to be and will refrain from contributing to your paycheck.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
This is kind of silly. Just because he's one of the best players in the world doesn't mean we should treat the rules any differently.

If a whole bunch of people are depending on someone to get a ride to a tourney that should be honored, regardless of whether or not M2K is going to be there or not.

And again, if one actually is interested in the money, one might want to look for a job.

except for M2K, who has (just a guess here) made a hefty sum of money playing smash.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
I have a job and unless I think I can at least break even at this tournament I won't be showing up. I need to save money to attend larger events (apex/MVC3 tournies) where I can hand my money to other people :)

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
That is reasonable.

But still if people are counting on you for a ride you should still bring them.
You could charge them a good amount of gas money. You are, after all, providing them with a service. It's acceptable that they should pay for that along with gas.

PikaPika!

Smash Ace
And if PA doesn't show up then there's only a few people I would want to see who are going to this event(of course you're one of them TGS) and I'll probably try to pick up more hours at work if I'm not going.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
I getcha that when in need of money, 9 times out of 10 work > smash tourney.

If you come who are you bringing?

dudutsai

Smash Lord
If m2k goes, I can convince a car of at least 4 or 5 people to drive up from Binghamton for melee. If he doesn't, I'm not sure I can come at all, as my ride partly depends on the hype generated by a top level player coming.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dude not only will i not deny this, but i TELL people ALL THE TIME that if you host both games, I'm highly interested in going

and I hate unity dude, I hate how a group of very biased people got together and decided TOURNAMENTS MUST RUN WITH UNITY, WE ARE THE DECIDERS and people only followed because more people benefit from MK being banned than not. Because that's what it really is, and I'm definitely going to get a million people to argue with me since most people benefit from him gone thus it benefits them to try to discredit what I say.

Btw, I do think it is complete and utter BS to have a committee come up and say **** YOU, SUCKS FOR YOU MK MAINERS and just cater to a majority simply because it is a majority. I find that utter BS and there is no reason us minority should have to suffer without even a compromise (especially when it shouldn't be happening to begin with).

and I think not supporting Unity is a good thing. If people wanted to host MK banned tournaments that's one thing, but to make it a standard and say **** YOU to the rest of us is not something that makes me happy, and just because I'm in the minority of people doesn't make me wrong and Unity right. They shouldn't exist. Only people that benefit from MK being gone support it, which unfortunately, is obviously most people.
I dont think anyone feels like arguing about this here. all im going to say to this is:

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few
no one in this corny *** region can take a game off m2k maybe besides san. and hes the only actual good one.
san loses to pikapikas mk... i dont think hed have much on someone that actually mains him. let alone the best of his mains.

that being said, im not so keen on you ignoring me like that. seeing as you still havent money matched me to prove you have anything over me

The best thing about upstate NY is their confidence. =)
You should have seen us when we all practiced and legitamately thought we were a strong region. We talked more junk than ANYBODY. online and in person.
so let's say I came to this tournament, and let you guys pick the first stage vs me every time and didn't ban anything either, would that help you guys want to play me?
NOPE!

Cus MK has no bad stages and I still run the risk of getting RC/Brinstar'd

1. This is kind of silly. Just because he's one of the best players in the world doesn't mean we should treat the rules any differently.

2. If a whole bunch of people are depending on someone to get a ride to a tourney that should be honored, regardless of whether or not M2K is going to be there or not.

3. And again, if one actually is interested in the money, one might want to look for a job.
1. Agreed fully.
2. Agree to that too.
3. I have a job, but I still dont make much. And Im not trying to just throw away my hard earned dollars that I realistically need for other stuff.

I have a job and unless I think I can at least break even at this tournament I won't be showing up. I need to save money to attend larger events (apex/MVC3 tournies) where I can hand my money to other people :)
I getcha that when in need of money, 9 times out of 10 work > smash tourney.

If you come who are you bringing?
Me
SMM1
Probably Minh.
Probably Dr.G/Somebody else.

Its practically guaranteed to be a full 5 man car.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys are over estimating the cost of coming to a tourny. Even still I understand not being able to come because of money issues and nobody should fault ya. Im certain those guys can find rides if they actually are looking.

also Neil MM me :)

unknown522

Some guy
What would stop you? I would be very excited to get an opportunity to see and play you and the other Canadians again.
I may try to look for a ride, but for now it looks like Megabus can cost $55 for a round trip if I come friday, and leave sunday.

It also looks like the bus station is roughly a 10 min drive from the venue

a nub

Smash Ace
Man so much fakeness in this thread

Also other melee ppl should post to confirm attendance. Gotta confirm my ride, atm I'm assuming matts going and driving some rit ppl

Would def be cool if m2k and canada came for melee hype. Unknown I'm still mad salty I lost to your pichu way back at apex olololo

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Man so much fakeness in this thread

Also other melee ppl should post to confirm attendance. Gotta confirm my ride, atm I'm assuming matts going and driving some rit ppl

Would def be cool if m2k and canada came for melee hype. Unknown I'm still mad salty I lost to your pichu way back at apex olololo
Its not as bad as getting 3 stocked by KK's Kirby... =/

altairian

Smash Lord
dude not only will i not deny this, but i TELL people ALL THE TIME that if you host both games, I'm highly interested in going

and I hate unity dude, I hate how a group of very biased people got together and decided TOURNAMENTS MUST RUN WITH UNITY, WE ARE THE DECIDERS and people only followed because more people benefit from MK being banned than not. Because that's what it really is, and I'm definitely going to get a million people to argue with me since most people benefit from him gone thus it benefits them to try to discredit what I say.

Btw, I do think it is complete and utter BS to have a committee come up and say **** YOU, SUCKS FOR YOU MK MAINERS and just cater to a majority simply because it is a majority. I find that utter BS and there is no reason us minority should have to suffer without even a compromise (especially when it shouldn't be happening to begin with).

and I think not supporting Unity is a good thing. If people wanted to host MK banned tournaments that's one thing, but to make it a standard and say **** YOU to the rest of us is not something that makes me happy, and just because I'm in the minority of people doesn't make me wrong and Unity right. They shouldn't exist. Only people that benefit from MK being gone support it, which unfortunately, is obviously most people.
How can you call people's "competitive spirit" out when you straight up refuse to play in a competitive environment that doesn't include a single character in a cast of over 30? Where's YOUR competitive spirit, sir? A true competitor would accept the MK ban and learn to compete and excel under the new rules.

You're just as biased as the people that you're railing against. The difference is they're the ones putting forth all the effort for the community (if you think organizing and running a tournament is easy you're dead wrong), and you're just a guy who happens to be good enough at a video game that he makes money by going to tournaments.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
You DEFINITELY don't know what you're talking about dude. I don't want to support Unity because I think it's WRONG. I want unity to FAIL because I think it's WRONG what they are doing and the way that they handled things. (I realize that won't happen but I will still fight for what I believe in and I hate how Unity decided that they were the ultimate deciders and everyone that doesn't like it can just go and **** themselves). I am extremely competitive but I will not go and support something that I do not believe in so strongly. Because I happen to be good at smash? I played Melee for 6000 hours total (half of it was before tournaments though, but I still learned a lot about every character in the game from that from a casual and curiosity perspective) and Brawl about 3000 hours. I didn't just get this good out of nowhere, I put a very large amount of work into getting to that level, and I STARTED Brawl with great concept familiarity because I was the only Melee pro (rank 1/2 in the world at the time) to pick up that game. (The next closest was person was ChuDat and Azen, but Azen quit like a year or so afterwords like he always does with games).

altairian

Smash Lord
You DEFINITELY don't know what you're talking about dude. I don't want to support Unity because I think it's WRONG. I want unity to FAIL because I think it's WRONG what they are doing and the way that they handled things. (I realize that won't happen but I will still fight for what I believe in and I hate how Unity decided that they were the ultimate deciders and everyone that doesn't like it can just go and **** themselves). I am extremely competitive but I will not go and support something that I do not believe in so strongly. Because I happen to be good at smash? I played Melee for 6000 hours total (half of it was before tournaments though, but I still learned a lot about every character in the game from that from a casual and curiosity perspective) and Brawl about 3000 hours. I didn't just get this good out of nowhere, I put a very large amount of work into getting to that level, and I STARTED Brawl with great concept familiarity because I was the only Melee pro (rank 1/2 in the world at the time) to pick up that game. (The next closest was person was ChuDat and Azen, but Azen quit like a year or so afterwords like he always does with games).
...and? I'm gonna break a harsh truth on you here, your opinion doesn't matter. The TO's opinion does. Why? Because he's actually running the events that you attend. Without the TO's there are no tournaments. Without you there still are. The events are what tie the community together, not the people who win the prize money.

You're right that I don't know all of the specifics of unity and how they've gone about their business, but I do know that if all of the people on the unity committee decided they just aren't going to run tournaments anymore, it would be a gigantic blow to the brawl community, and might just kill it outright. If all of the "top" players stopped playing, the community would barely notice.

So good luck to you in your crusade against the unity ruleset. I guarantee you that it won't work, you might want to start brushing up on your diddy and falco.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
That doesn't JUSTIFY them having decision making power at all

I am not playing with other characters because I don't believe I should have to. Everything was fine last month, then Unity came in and decided they are in charge, and by appealing to a majority (dirty trick) they won't get shut down, even though it ****s everyone else over.

huMps

Smash Ace
Rochester looking super gay right now. Maybe me and everyone else who's not Jesse Neil and San should just stop going to locals because we probably wont win. You guys are kind of ****ting on all the lower level players right now. It's okay for them to lose but if I lose money I'm not going.

And where the hell is JesiahTEG in this thread?

eeveee

Smash Journeyman
Guarantee me people and help me get setups and I will advertise this as well as a side event. This needs to be discussed. I have a meager status in the gaming comm and can't pull for setups. I don't know if Cura can. If you guys can help coordinate this then I am delighted to make this a side event. Fees can be discussed. As you all know, there is plenty of room in the venue to accommodate to side events. Smash 64 is one option. I'd like to get MvC3 up if attendance is high enough.

If m2k goes, I can convince a car of at least 4 or 5 people to drive up from Binghamton for melee. If he doesn't, I'm not sure I can come at all, as my ride partly depends on the hype generated by a top level player coming.
It's a really tough issue to work out. :/ The locals won't come if m2k does, but many other competitors would be really excited to. I see where people are coming from. A lot of the students at my school were skill checked when they came to the first event and declined to go to the second one because they would be "better off caving" or something along those lines.

I may try to look for a ride, but for now it looks like Megabus can cost $55 for a round trip if I come friday, and leave sunday.

It also looks like the bus station is roughly a 10 min drive from the venue
Someone will opt to pick you up I'm sure. If worse comes to worse, I can pick you up. :D

we need to get our extended licenses so we can go up there.
I have no objections picking Rochester up for a Canada tournament if it's already on my agenda. Just as long as you guys pay your share in gas... and maybe take over driving if snowy conditions make me nervous. I think I'm traumatized from my accident and I'm a typically bad-make-everyone-nervous Asian driver. Neil knows lol

Rochester looking super gay right now. Maybe me and everyone else who's not Jesse Neil and San should just stop going to locals because we probably wont win. You guys are kind of ****ting on all the lower level players right now. It's okay for them to lose but if I lose money I'm not going.

And where the hell is JesiahTEG in this thread?
Seriously where is he?

Sorry on the lack of fliers! They're really ugly atm

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The more that I hear M2K talk about this issue, the more that I find myself agreeing with him, in the sense that it is really unfair for someone to put hours and hours and hours of work into a character (cause you happen to only like playing as that one), and then having that character banned. I'm certain that if Peach were banned, that would anger/sadden me, so I see where he's coming from. At the same time, I'm not sure if there are enough people who are as angry as he is, pulling for this to be changed.

As a player who has only been to one tournament (AXS2), and who has been practicing really hard this past summer, and is trying really hard to get better, I would like awesome players (M2K, Unknown + other Canadians) to show up, so that I can play them, and get advice. By the same token, I understand people who put money into going to a tournament, and wish to see some sort of return on their investment. I don't think that's wholly in the competitive spirit, but that's fine. I guess my return on my "investment" will be getting more tournament practice, and more experience.

unknown522

Some guy
Top Bottom