• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AwesomeNESS : A Ness Main Interview - ViceGrip

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Speaking of making alt accounts, is there a way to change one's username on this site or is it impossible to do without creating a new account?

And, off the top of my head, I can only think of a few experienced ness mains who we haven't interviewed who are infrequent to appear here.

Ref
EB360 (but did we interview him?)
Dog Latin (inactive for forever)
simna (no brawl for him, and inactive)

... We could interview the new ness mains, or even the ness seconds....

Does edrees still go here?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Speaking of making alt accounts, is there a way to change one's username on this site or is it impossible to do without creating a new account?

And, off the top of my head, I can only think of a few experienced ness mains who we haven't interviewed who are infrequent to appear here.

Ref
EB360 (but did we interview him?)
Dog Latin (inactive for forever)
simna (no brawl for him, and inactive)

... We could interview the new ness mains, or even the ness seconds....

Does edrees still go here?
You're right we COULD do secondaries.

Oh and to change your name, you need to buy premium :(

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Simna Ibn Sind is my Ness god. I would not be a Ness main today if I didn't watch Illuminati.

It makes me sad that he's inactive and that I'll probably never meet him.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Tru dat, dajay....

Simna's illuminati made me want to play ness in melee, even though I sucked absolutely back then... I was searching earthbound stuff and eventually stumbled upon it...

xoxokev

Smash Lord
Why is your name ViceGrip?
How come you don't post on SWF too often?
Are you going to any MLGs?
How long do you plan on playing Brawl competitively?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
You got it Yink, you're the boss now hehe. My bad.

@ xoxo Kev:

My original name was Gremlin7 when I used to play melee. It was this name because I couldn't think of a tag when I was pre-registering for Super Champ Combo in late 2007 (Melee's biggest tournament along with pound 4 I believe) so I just re-used my tag from Starcraft. However when Brawl was going to come out I realized that I wanted a tag that would be my new smash identidy. After a long while of thinking about it I chose ViceGrip simply because i thought it sounded cool/flowed well and I wanted my shorthand tag to be 'Vice'. The name comes directly from a move crabby/kingler have in Pokemon Gen. 1 (basically the only pokemon game I played).

I think I don't post on SWF very often because I never got into the habit of it and so sometimes I just forget to come here unless I have someone on aib prod me with a sharp stick. Actually, I tend to Lurk somewhat often but I'm not always compelled to post, sorry : (. Aib feels just a bit more accessible, I dunno why. Maybe it's the cold forum only format here as compared to facebook feel there. I know this place has personal profiles as well but it's not the same feel. However I'm hopeful that this will change now and I'll post more often :).

If MLG comes to California I will go but otherwise no. I haven't traveled out of state for a tournament before and don't intend to soon mainly because I'm moving out of the house for the first time and don't have a job secured yet. maybe when I have steady income I will splurge on such a trip but until then that's not where my priorities lie. However locals don't cost very much to go so I've been attending a tournament once or twice a month since the start of brawl except where I randomly went completely inactive between May and September of 2009.

I plan on playing Brawl competitively until the game dies (when everyone and their mom is metaknight?) or the next one comes out, then I'll probably play that. I don't see myself getting tired of this game, if nothing else I'll always want to play doubles with Warpstatus or other good teammates. Doubles feels pretty darn balanced.

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you don't mind me asking, how often do you train? And do you train with CPU's at all? If so, are they in motion or still?

Where did you get that cool avatar?

What is your favorite food and desert?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Of course i don't mind lol. I train at least once a week but if I have time I train every day. I train with wifi opponents as well as moving/still CPU's. Wifi is good for developing muscle memory with combos and such, spacing and mindgames (laggy mindgames, but mindgames nonetheless to an extent) and training against computers just helps your reaction time and testing moves/ideas out. For instance I learned to jab lock>charged bat consistently through hours of spending time with a CPU set to Jump. Also non level 9 computers are useful to a degree. I don't like level 9 just because they tech everything, which is completely unlike people.

This avatar came from a kid in the socal community named FlamewaveK. He was making custom avatars for fun and he put together this one for me :D.

Favorite dessert would have to be banana cream pie! Although it sucks because restaurants tend to put nuts on top and I'm allergic to nuts so they usually ruin it ><

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Why are you so cool?

Would you ever partner with me sometime?

What's your favorite movie?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
I don't think people perceive me as cool over the internet. But thanks! When i meet people in person I'm always much different than what they expect but i guess it's cause I don't do a good job of projecting a definable personality online. I'm just kinda...there lol. But I try!

Of course I'd partner with you, yay wifi hehe. I told you, your Ness is legit from the vids I've seen and double ness isn't bad imo. just gotta get some heals down and it's an above average team.

hmmm, movie. that's a hard one. probably x-men 2 actually. Can't get enough of that movie and x-men 3 sucks because the characters/story had no heart and cyclops dies! They ruined a movie that had such a good buildup...coulda been epic but oh well, maybe in an alternate reality they got it right.

Uffe

Smash Hero
You like banana cream pie, too? That's awesome! Too bad you're allergic to peanuts, though. D; I never thought about using CPU's for reaction timing. I'll try to keep that in mind.

What do you think of Jigglypuff?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
Nana cream pie too gud! Melee Jigglypuff? Brawl Jigglypuff? Jigglypuff in general? I'll just answer brawl jiggs. I think in certain matchups she can be a very useful secondary but I don't think anyone should really main her unless they want a world of pain. She just doesn't have enough going for her. She needs more combo's and reliable kill moves (fair is reliable but when is it ever fresh?).

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
haha nice mobilisq, I believe Yink wants that sort of stuff to go in general discussion or somewhere sadly : (.

Are you referring to earthbound or the smash bros series? I've been playing smash bros since the day it came out on the N64 (some of my friends were only my friends because they had the game lolol) even though I didn't own an N64. As for Earthbound I have yet to play it. I've watched Edrees play it and I know it has great writing and all, I just can't bring myself to play old RPG's. I wish I had gotten into it when I was younger but I didn't really know about it then.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
random thing: in my practicing with dtilt, one time hits seem to have a significantly higher percentage of tripping than do multiple hits in a row.... in other words, you were right about the one shot over the two shot that I had proposed earlier elsewhere....

How good of a memory do you have?
-- if good, What did you eat for breakfast last week? if last week is easy, last month?

n64 main/seconds? and why?
melee main/seconds? and why?
why ness main in brawl? second in brawl and why?

DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?!?!?

Which is the best fiber optic cabling that you can get? (answer in the form of 10GBaseXY, where XY specifies the fiber cable type)

Switch, hub, router, or token ring? (not what you use, because most likely you use a home router.... which would more closely fit you and why?)

wantsta learn Net+?

mobilisq

Smash Ace
hey vice you might have a better time getting through earthbound if you played mother 3 first

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
O_O

Stop it! Compliments make me wanna hide.

Oh god....VorpalStorm is about to glomp me! help! HELP! HEEEEEEELLLLP!
OK, fine then... YOU SUCK!!!

obviously this is sarcasm... XD

WHY THE **** Don't you post more often?!!?

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I don't think we have met yet. Although from what I understand I have met some people whio play(or used to) regularly with Vicegrip. Let's see there was this Kirby player at Axis I don't remember the name of and then there was Bigfoot.

Neither of those were very recently though...that was back when I still played Brawl.

Anyway. If anyone wants to play Melee let me know. My number is 530-666-4478. Call me and we can arrange something.

EDIT: a glomp is a hug that is also a tackle.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
WOW Simna's in here. LOOK AT THAT JOIN DATE.

Seriously man post in the GD and stuff more, it's good to see you :D

Mod says: Back on topic though. :p

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
what do you think of simna, Vice?

where you at?!?!?!

Pie?

jello?

cake?

lies?

ViceGrip

Smash Journeyman
random thing: in my practicing with dtilt, one time hits seem to have a significantly higher percentage of tripping than do multiple hits in a row.... in other words, you were right about the one shot over the two shot that I had proposed earlier elsewhere....

How good of a memory do you have?
-- if good, What did you eat for breakfast last week? if last week is easy, last month?

n64 main/seconds? and why?
melee main/seconds? and why?
why ness main in brawl? second in brawl and why?

DO YOU LIKE WAFFLES?!?!?

Which is the best fiber optic cabling that you can get? (answer in the form of 10GBaseXY, where XY specifies the fiber cable type)

Switch, hub, router, or token ring? (not what you use, because most likely you use a home router.... which would more closely fit you and why?)

wantsta learn Net+?
ummmm let's see. I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast so it was either eggs or some sort of cereal. That week was probably Rasin Bran and last month I think was special K lol. Very exciting I know, but you asked. In N64 I played kirby but I didn't even know how to do smash attacks so i would lose to my friends that knew how. In melee I was a peach main but I seconded Ness because I thought he was fun. Sometimes I would try and switch my main to Ness but my friends wouldn't let me because they said he sucked. Plus I was better with Peach anyhow, her playstyle fit me well in that game. However the minute I tried brawl Peach and saw her nerfs/pathetic second jump I dropped that hoe. Ness is my main in brawl because he suits my playstyle perfectly and I can control him the best out of any of the charcters. He feels the most natural to me and I feel he has the tools to do well in basically any matchup. My second is Samus which I decided to pick up a few days ago. It is my goal to have Samus be JUST AS GOOD as my Ness by the end of the year. I hope to be able to use her in tournament as a second main by the end of the summer. I have my own reasoning for picking Samus which I can get into later if anyone is curious. However I'm not good with her and I may never be but it's my goal to become great with her.

waffles are legit. yay for Eggos, however I like french toast the best. French toast crunch is a pretty tasty cereal as well. I don't know anything about optic cabling, just optic blasts. Router I guess cause I have no idea what the other three do lol. What's Net plus? possibly.

What the hell did Eagleye say in the majority of his last post?

What does glomp mean?

Wifi me again sometime?
Eagle is random and stuff but I believe I answered both his sensical as well as his partially non-sensical questions. Apparently a glomp is a tackle/hug. We can always wifi! I pride myself on playing Ness dittos for at least an hour every week, they are too fun and are good practice.

I don't think we have met yet. Although from what I understand I have met some people whio play(or used to) regularly with Vicegrip. Let's see there was this Kirby player at Axis I don't remember the name of and then there was Bigfoot.

Neither of those were very recently though...that was back when I still played Brawl.

Anyway. If anyone wants to play Melee let me know. My number is 530-666-4478. Call me and we can arrange something.

EDIT: a glomp is a hug that is also a tackle.
Yea Simna that kirby player is my friend Twilight Kirby, he mentioned playing you back then. When the heck WAS axis? That seems like a long while ago. I wasn't at that tournament however I WAS at Super Champ Combo (melee) and we played a few matches but I had no idea who you were. I had just met Ademisk by playing him in pools and then he was stalking you so I decided to come along and watch. I played peach back then and had absoloutely NO idea what I was doing haha. You met me when I was Gremlin7, we haven't seen each other since then.

what do you think of simna, Vice?

where you at?!?!?!

Pie?

jello?

cake?

lies?
Simna is a purty cool guy, when I met him I thought he was funny/entertaining. Also his combo video has cool music. I wish I had known about competitive melee earlier than I did (mid 2007), perhaps I could have helped pioneer melee Ness along with Simna. I are here. All of those items are delicious...minus the lies. Lies suck and are untasty.

when are you coming to the Midwest? :p

what do you think about Ness's air game?
Midwest eh? I'm not sure haha, I have no reason to go to the midwest (no family there) except for smash tournaments but it may happen someday. Are you going to MLG Ohio? I think ness's air game is top notch and one should be in the air as much as possible when playing Ness. People fear his air game and you should abuse it as much as possible. That's where most of his offensive, defensive, and combo game is at. Plus it has dumb amounts of range, priority , and speed that we should all abuse to the fullest extent.

also @ mobil I probably would start at mother 3 if I were to play the earthbound series, thanks for the suggestion.

smash64

Smash Champion
yeah ill be going 2 MLG Ohio i hope i do ok im nervous tho!!, its kinda far for you =/ and yeah Ness's air game is 2 good :D

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Can you guys believe the mods over at Starmen.net locking my topics for giving out my phone number to try to get people to come over to my place to play Melee?

The nerve
Do they know who you are?

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL Simna Ibn Sind!!!
A legend! A god! The best of the best!

Top Bottom