• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

gm jack

Smash Lord
This movie was amazing. I left the theater just wanting to go back into that movie because real life is boring :(
That's exactly how I felt. After watching something where every single shot of the planet is breathtaking, and then stepping out into a city center was really depressing. I want one of those bird things. :(

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I saw avatar a few nights ago on a regular screen and I really liked it. With the exception of a few terms that I thought were kind of silly I thought it was great. I think this and District 9 are the only two films that I saw this year that I loved. I'm going to see it again in imax 3-D and I can't wait for the home release.

Spire

III
BRoomer
^This is exactly how I feel right now.

at the same time the plot was worse than 3 Ninjas yet it looked prettier than finding Nemo.
"Dude."
"Duuuuuude."
"Dude!"
"D-d-duuude!"
"Dude."
"If I were a little booger, where would I be?... MOM AND DAD'S ROOM!"

I was talking just earlier with my friend who I saw Avatar with about the film and we came to the concensus that not only did it fail to touch our hearts (failure in character and story department), but not seeing it in 3D would also remove so much from the film. It's simply a rollercoaster.

Also, the story is about 98% the same as Fern Gully. Check it: http://www.nelsonguirado.com/index.php/reviews/2009/11/07/avatar-and-ferngully

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
I saw the movie in 3D and it blew my expectations away, although i didnt really have any expectations going in. And call it cliche, but I liked the story even though I knew where it was going before it did. And the action scenes were amazingly done IMO.

finalark

SNORLAX
I seen avatar movie yesterday. I like this movie and it has nice presentation and all character have done good job. This movie is most costly movie in the world and it is about 500$ budget.
If it was only $500, then it would have looked like an Ed Wood movie.

http://www.nelsonguirado.com/index.php/reviews/2009/11/07/avatar-and-ferngully[/URL]
I actually pointed that out in my review for the film for my school paper...

Hax

Smash Champion
i saw this on shrooms, it was by far the scariest thing that's ever happened to me

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
You all read into things too much. I enjoyed it for what it was, even if I felt I've seen the storyline before. Sometimes you just have to do that and let yourself fall into what you're watching, simplicity can be a good thing. Just IMO.

Dr_Twist

Smash Lord
STOP over analyzing this stuff. you all sound so hyper intellegent but really? are you always in a bad mood when goind to movies? AVATAR was A GREAT movie, "its not original" WHO CARES! shrug it off and enjoy the dang movie son. >_> super negative critic annoy me to death. looking at every little detail like the stereotype??? CMON every character in every movie is part of a stereotype. WATCH the MOVIE.
(i may just be another part of the public that doesnt analyze EVERYTHING but at least i enjoy myelf)
/endmadrant

<3 avatar. main point as everyone says s the CG! AMAZING. i actually the main character played the role extremely nicely. in fat every part was good so ya. im done.

OH and ANYONE who is gonna Quote this and be rly? and spit more negative stuff...i already have a response...smashboards just WONT LET ME SAY IT..

edit: amen atlus8

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
First off, 10/10 for visual effects.

Right, i watched this movie in 3D, i took off my glasses once or twice during it to see what it was like in 2D and really, it looked fine too. I'm sure this is better in 3D but i've seen 3D films before and this is nothing new.

Anyway the movie starts of ok, though its seeminly set in a future where humans forgot how to make bullet proof glass and jets, and instead decided to replace it with lots and lots of hornets from halo 3. Anyway we're introduced to jake sully who, after rescuing batman at the end of termimator 4, seems to have ended up in a wheelchair. He gets a big blue avatar to control so he can guard ripley and her team of big blue avatars. He's also given a secret mission by generic bad guy military man.

After somehow failing to hit a massive 20ft panther dog thing with more than 3 bullets, he gets split up from ripley and co and gets rescued by pochahontas. 2 hours later, after watching a film that is almost an exact replica of pochahontas plot wise (seriously, there's even an angry fiancé and a talking tree) it finally gets into a battle scene that has just a bit more screen time than venom does in spiderman 3.

You have to wonder why the hornets dont have bullet proof glass. That's a super design flaw there. And if they're making so much money from erm, unobtainium, you think they'd be able to afford jets.

In conclusion it looked fantastic but the pochahontas story and the incredibly dull characters dragged it down. It just felt too long.

4, maybe 5, out of 10.

finalark

SNORLAX
When it comes to avatar, you either think it's the most amazing thing ever made, or you think that it had great visuals but the plot and characters killed it. There is no middle ground.

EDIT: I just read Pluvia's review. I lol'd.

ggabriel02

Smash Rookie
The avatar movie is made with the latest & most advanced of animation technologies so I guess its something many people will be dying to watch plus its directed by James Cameron maker of terminator 1,2 true lies & most important titanic which is highest earing movie of all time. I must say that it's best animated movie ever.:)

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
i saw this on shrooms, it was by far the scariest thing that's ever happened to me
lol.

I Also saw this the other day and Skyler pretty much already said it. The story was...meh but the Visuals were gorgeous.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I've heard some people say they think real life is boring and they'd rather live on Pandora than here. Well am i the only one who prefers robots and helicopters and technology over dragons and trees and glow in the dark creatures? Everything that Pandora does, Earth does better. Why would people want to live there? It might look pretty but when it comes down to it it's just boring plants and animals but without all the wonders that technology can bring us, like robots.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Well am i the only one who prefers robots and helicopters and technology over dragons and trees and glow in the dark creatures?
Survey says....yes.

I finally saw this movie just a few hours ago after 7 weeks of waiting after I managed to get a copy of it today (thank you Fox) and man, I don't care what people said about the plot, I was just glued to everything that was happening and I just loved it. It's been awhile since I've been that excited watching a movie, I was shouting at the characters as if they could hear me, I was just too engrossed into the movie to notice they weren't real. Though I'm not one of those people who after seeing Avatar were depressed because Pandora is not real, the movie now has a place in my heart with the other movies that have captivated me.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I think what i look for in a film is a good plot that can give the illusion of being original, and the plot has to have few plot holes and the characters have comon sense. Also the main characters have to be 3-Dimensional or relatable.

Its like say you saw the best book cover ever. It absolutely flounced every other book cover you have ever seen. Also this book has been getting a lot of hype, someone even said something along the lines of its going to change the way books are made. Anyway you're entranced by the cover so you buy the book but when you read it you figure out its just a badly written harry potter rip-off with different names for the characters. Though the cover of the book is still utterly fantastic.

Well i'm in the group of people who prefers a good story than something that's pretty to look at.

Why don't they use bullet proof glass? Or jets? Why does Jake Sully stupidly wandering into the jungle and touching things even though he's obviously had military training not to do those sort of things AND he was warned by the general who showed him his scars? How can he not hit that giant panther with more than 3 bullets? Why do all the creatures have that wire like appendage when they clearly don't share a comon ancestor? What use is nostrals on your side going to do except get clogged with rain water? Why aren't the humans getting the boosted effects of lower gravity?

And more importantly, why are you chasing after jake sully when you can just block his avatar from recieving his wireless signal? And how does his avatar recieve signal in caves or especially the flux?

Just jam his signal and voila, problem solved. Some bullet proof glass would be handy too. Plot holes and lack of comon sense like that, along with bad script and characterisation, just drag the movie down. I actually feel like i was watching a completely different movie to half the people here.

Grandeza

Smash Master
t to do those sort of things AND he was warned by the general who showed him his scars? How can he not hit that giant panther with more than 3 bullets?
Correct me if I'm wrong since I saw this movie like a month ago, but didn't he run under a tree at one point and shoot the creature a hell of a lot and it was just not very effective. I seem to recall that happening, but I could be wrong *shrugs*

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
What bugged me is that so far into the future and Jake is still using this simplistic, ancient wheelchair.

First off, 10/10 for visual effects.

Right, i watched this movie in 3D, i took off my glasses once or twice during it to see what it was like in 2D and really, it looked fine too. I'm sure this is better in 3D but i've seen 3D films before and this is nothing new.
This doesn't make any sense. If you took off your glasses during the 3D showing, you would see a very blurry, out of focus picture. The whole concept of the 3D requires two projectors projecting slightly "off" from one another. It should have looked like crap without glasses.

edit: furthermore, this 3D is something new. It's not the same process or projection as other 3D films. This is the first, and best of its kind. You seem to be quite misinformed

Grandeza

Smash Master
I think it's funny how a lot of people seem to hate the movie, and yet Avatar already broke 2 billion dollars.
i don't find that funny at all. Sales are not always an accurate representation of movie quality. I don't really see your point. Are you suggesting that some people who felt the movie was bad are wrong because of the sales?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Correct me if I'm wrong since I saw this movie like a month ago, but didn't he run under a tree at one point and shoot the creature a hell of a lot and it was just not very effective. I seem to recall that happening, but I could be wrong *shrugs*
He hides in the tree bit and it lunges at him, he shoots with about 3 bullets and it goes RAAAAAWWWWRGH and flinches away, it then turns back to him and he shoots at it again with about 20 bullets and completely and utterly misses it even though it's right infront of him, and then it outsmarts him by grabbing his weapon off him.

This doesn't make any sense. If you took off your glasses during the 3D showing, you would see a very blurry, out of focus picture. The whole concept of the 3D requires two projectors projecting slightly "off" from one another. It should have looked like crap without glasses.

edit: furthermore, this 3D is something new. It's not the same process or projection as other 3D films. This is the first, and best of its kind. You seem to be quite misinformed
Nope only the bits that were 3D were blurry. For example there's one bit where they're in the tree and it's full of blue people, I took my glasses off for a second there and the blue people closest to the camera were blurry whereas Jake and her weren't. It's obviously better than 2D but 2D wasn't that much worse from what I saw. It was more like a slight step down rather than a huge leap.

I think it's funny how a lot of people seem to hate the movie, and yet Avatar already broke 2 billion dollars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_2

Noa.

Smash Master
Visuals were great. Story beyond subpar.

I haven't seen Dances With the Wolves, but I'm sure that Pocahontas is basically the same storyline as Avatar.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
This is out on DVD on Monday so its back in my attention but it actually depresses me that all the good reviews for this film can be translated as "PRETTY PICTURES" yet the people who are writting them can't see that.

This film made 2 billion and if Hollywood begins to think this is the quality of film we want then I might as well give up right now. I honestly don't understand how people can't see how dull the plot was in this film. I quite litterally don't know why some people think this film is "fantastic" rather than being very ok and a bit boring.

EDIT:

And it annoys me that everyone says Unobtanium is a fuel source when they don't mention that anywhere in the movie or on Pandorapedia. In fact the only place I can find where it's mentioned it the non-canon Project 880.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This is out on DVD on Monday so its back in my attention but it actually depresses me that all the good reviews for this film can be translated as "PRETTY PICTURES" yet the people who are writting them can't see that.

This film made 2 billion and if Hollywood begins to think this is the quality of film we want then I might as well give up right now. I honestly don't understand how people can't see how dull the plot was in this film. I quite litterally don't know why some people think this film is "fantastic" rather than being very ok and a bit boring.

EDIT:

And it annoys me that everyone says Unobtanium is a fuel source when they don't mention that anywhere in the movie or on Pandorapedia. In fact the only place I can find where it's mentioned it the non-canon Project 880.
Who cares? There is a world of cinema that isn't Hollywood for you to check out. And in some people's opinions, th grandiosity of the effects-work, and the intensely immersive nature of the film's world are enough to overshadow a simple, cliche plot. It's like a "style-over-substance" argument, but in this case the "style" itself is so filled with "substance", mad attention to detail, and just aesthetically captivating, that I think it redeems the lackluster narrative.

And apparently you are more interested in the movie than I was, as you seem to be reading a wiki for it.

Grandeza

Smash Master
well they were very pretty pictures you know :p

This film made 2 billion and if Hollywood begins to think this is the quality of film we want then I might as well give up right now.
k

I honestly don't understand how people can't see how dull the plot was in this film. I quite litterally don't know why some people think this film is "fantastic" rather than being very ok and a bit boring.
I thought it was fantastic because I thought that it had a simple plot, but one that I liked. The movie held my attention the whole way through and at the end I didn't want it to be over. I thoroughly loved it. The amazing graphics didn't hurt either.

EDIT:

Unobtanium was just the rock they were trying to get right? (forgive me I saw this film many months ago). I'm not sure what the complaint is here. Wasn't the premise just that it was worth a ****load of money? If you're just complaining about people saying it was a fuel source then I guess that's a valid complaint as i dont recall them saying that.

i want to rent this now :]

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Unobtainium is the most uninspired name for a mineral let alone a plot device.

Saw the movie once, shrugged my shoulder, stole some 3D glasses and went home with a migraine. Not planning to relive that boredom. 2.5 hours my a**.

I don't want to go into the lameness factor of this movie for fear of the super Avatards. All I gotta say is if they invested much more time on the story, it wouldn't get all the publicity its gets for ripping off Ferngully. You're only in denial if you can't see the connection.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Who cares? There is a world of cinema that isn't Hollywood for you to check out. And in some people's opinions, th grandiosity of the effects-work, and the intensely immersive nature of the film's world are enough to overshadow a simple, cliche plot. It's like a "style-over-substance" argument, but in this case the "style" itself is so filled with "substance", mad attention to detail, and just aesthetically captivating, that I think it redeems the lackluster narrative.

And apparently you are more interested in the movie than I was, as you seem to be reading a wiki for it.
This is where I and others differ with the super Avatar fans. We like characterization, interesting plots, good dialogue, maybe some unpredictability and a main character we can sympathize with. It's like having a book with a amazing book cover, but the book itself is pretty average.

Like the part we're I started getting bored was the bit where they go to capture the dragons. You know he's going to capture it but you have to sit through like 10 minutes of no advancement to the plot. Even worse his dragon doesn't even do anything, he just gets rid of it.

And I did a quick Google check for Unobtainium because the super Avatar fans were saying it's a fuel source, something that they don't say in the movie. In fact all they say is we're having this big millitary operation to get Unobtainium because lol.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I don't understand why people are claiming that it's the best movie they've ever seen and stuff.
The visuals are breath-taking, yes, but if that was what I wanted I would go to an art gallery.
I admit, I was immersed into the world, all of the plant-life, animals, etc... were so realistic.
But my problem with the movie lies here: There were better movies. Out of recent movies I can think of, I'd rather see Kick-***, The Dark Knight, Watchmen, District 9, etc... than Avatar.

What makes Avatar better than those movies, aside from the visuals?

Noa.

Smash Master
Watchmen is not a better movie than Avatar lol. Yeah, a lot of movie critics did like it. Yeah, a lot of hatera are out there.

You just need to understand the purpose of the movie. This was the movie that would determine whether or not 3D was going to be a major facet if Hollywood. And Hollywood had certainly been persuaded that 3D is a viable new step. You will see tons if more 3D movies. Never before has there been a movie specifically made for 3D. And this isn't 3D popping out at you ****, it's you being brought into the movie.

Avatar is just an important step forward. Yes it's story is incredibly simple, bland, and repeated. But believe it or not, movies are actually more than just story. :O Visuals are almost just as important. It's kinda the point of VIDEO. I'm not saying that a movie with a bad story and nice graphics is good. That's a bad movie. Avatar is not that though. It's a movie with a dull storyline but with the most amazing graphics that have never been seen (and for a couple years it will be the best movie in terms if visuals). I'm not going to say that Avatar is the best movie of all
time, or even a great one. Lol It's just a good movie that will become a landmark film because of its graphics. They did spend 4 or 3 years making this movie. Compared to the 1 or 2 years that some movies take.

Grandeza

Smash Master
In fact all they say is we're having this big millitary operation to get Unobtainium because lol.
Well they say their having a big military operation because it's worth an insane amount of money and their village rests on it. I think this is a valid premise and I don't really need an explanation on why it's valuable. Do you really need them to go on with a lengthy explanation as to what makes it valuable? I think it was fine how they explained it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well they say their having a big military operation because it's worth an insane amount of money and their village rests on it. I think this is a valid premise and I don't really need an explanation on why it's valuable. Do you really need them to go on with a lengthy explanation as to what makes it valuable? I think it was fine how they explained it.
How? They just had the military as brain dead idiots who were told "kill all the people there and get me some rock," if the Unobtainium was a drug or fuel that never depleted, then yeah, I'd see some validity in it. Instead they just portray the military here as ready to kill whoever (which can be a fine description sometimes, but we have to assume that the military at least evolved in the years that this film takes place and now).

The movie was really boring and the dialogue was hilariously bad. Fortunately, Rifftrax.com has riffed the film, so that should be amazing for me. Unfortunately, I have to sit through the nearly 3 hour film. I swear, this movie should have been a trilogy or at least 2 separate movies.

Grandeza

Smash Master
How? They just had the military as brain dead idiots who were told "kill all the people there and get me some rock," if the Unobtainium was a drug or fuel that never depleted, then yeah, I'd see some validity in it. Instead they just portray the military here as ready to kill whoever (which can be a fine description sometimes, but we have to assume that the military at least evolved in the years that this film takes place and now)
Actually that's a good point. I guess i didn't think of that when I watched the movie. I'm not the most intelligent movie watcher maybe. Still loved the film. :)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Also it wouldn't have taken a lenghty explanation, just "We want this, Unobtainium, it's an incredibly valuable fuel source that we use to fuel our spaceships." There we go, that would take about 7 seconds maximum.

And why did the general try to murder Jake and co. when all Jake had done was break 4 cameras and symphathize with the natives. Yeah they were escaping but that doesn't constitute putting the lives of every man and woman in the control tower at risk, or the murder of the escapees. And why did he say they'd be overrun when it was clearly shown that ground assaults from the Na'avi were useless and their dragons would be blown out the sky when they were about 2 miles from the base thanks to the helicoptors targeting systems.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
This is where I and others differ with the super Avatar fans. We like characterization, interesting plots, good dialogue, maybe some unpredictability and a main character we can sympathize with. It's like having a book with a amazing book cover, but the book itself is pretty average.

Like the part we're I started getting bored was the bit where they go to capture the dragons. You know he's going to capture it but you have to sit through like 10 minutes of no advancement to the plot. Even worse his dragon doesn't even do anything, he just gets rid of it.

And I did a quick Google check for Unobtainium because the super Avatar fans were saying it's a fuel source, something that they don't say in the movie. In fact all they say is we're having this big millitary operation to get Unobtainium because lol.
That is a silly metaphor; Avatar's cover IS the book.

Also, cinema is more than just narrative and characters. I like all those things you mentioned too, and it's why I found Avatar rather forgettable, but you should understand that what Avatar accomplished has nothing to do with any of those things. Sure, you can complain about plot contrivances and how the plot is just like Dances With Wolves/Fern Gully/Pocahontas but you're missing the point entirely.

Remember, in movies, the important thing isn't what happens or what the movie is about, but it's HOW the movie is about that. You say you got bored with the bird/dragon catching scene because you knew what was going to happen. Do you get bored with every movie you may have seen before? The excitement is in the journey, not the destination.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Ok maybe a comparing it to a graphic novel is better. It looks fantastic, but the story and everything else is crap, which in turn drags down the enjoyment of it. Also I don't understand what you mean by how it is about, and the problem with Avatar is I'd never seen it before yet I knew almost everything that was going to happen.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
Watchmen is not a better movie than Avatar lol.
Anyone who reads the graphic novel (as they should) knows the movie was poopy

But on the Avatar subject:
The movie may not have been a totally great plot and all that, but it did very much have the factors that led people to see it multiple times: visuals. It doesn't need to be seen as a well written or original movie, people just need to enjoy watching it at all.

Same reason why it was nominated at the Oscars for best picture. There are more factors than good writing and acting that make a "good movie". It didn't entirely fail with it's plot and it didn't entirely fail with its acting, so it doesn't have much dead weight. This allows the mind-blowing IMAX-orgasm visuals to propel it up for daaaaays.

It made 2 billion. If movies with good acting and good dialogue and character development and mood and all that jazz were things the majority of people actually appreciated, A Serious Man would have done much better in the box office (imo).

Top Bottom