• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Australian Melee Power Rankings V1.5

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
"I am 100% confident that if everyone in A tier, including Eric, played friendlies for a few hours they would admit that he not only has a place but could possibly be the best."

looooooooooooool

" Eric choked in his matches vs syke. It's really evident in the first match."

could u also tell how severely I was sandbagging? That was seriously my easiest set for the tourney. Not once did I feel threatened that I would lose. And no its not based entirely on tourney placings, read the criteria more thoroughly.

Pulling out statements like that just shows your ignorance/bias/lack of knowledge and why you should stfu. thx for the contribution tho, made me lol.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
Why would you feel threatened if Eric was choking? That's the whole point behind choking; you're making stupid decisions and playing like a noob. If you're that confident you can beat Eric again, why don't you accept his MM? You should also stop being such a bad mannered cunt considering both Eric and Vash/Connor are the only players here (that I'm aware of) that have experienced what the American and Canadian scenes are like and how truly terrible the Australian Smash community is compared to them.

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
lol doesn't take a genius to see how **** the aus smash scene is, just look at s.a.

Was he choking when he was up by 3 stock? All I had to do was throw out a couple tippers and I won, totes A tier material. I never accepted or declined his mm anyway, and I rarely do them cause I hate stealing money.

I've been in the scene since 2005, and since 2005 I've had dozens of players say they'll be better than me/beat me at the next tourney. Never happens and never will.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I can understand how frustrating it is to be under-estimated, or to feel like your not getting recognition, and you might think that you can beat syke because he's doing all this **** talking.

which makes sense because 99.9% of the time when people go on about how they were sandbagging or didnt try, its total bs, but as much of a **** face syke is, he knows his **** and usually has pretty good judgement of players, and he does actually sandbag, when he actually gets motivated he's ****ing ridiculous.

however, he's still a ****.

With a minor in Sykeology.
man this is just going to end up in one big endless syke-el of **** jokes.

- I swear alot huh?

VashT.S.

Smash Apprentice
Syke is pushing the trusted patience of Canadians. That in itself is an amazing skill.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
who is syke/monkeybear/blackshadow?
obviously not very good, i didn't play any of them in tourney
if you want to be recognized, try winning tournament matches so you get the chance to play me

Pantsmann

Smash Lord
considering both Eric and Vash/Connor are the only players here (that I'm aware of) that have experienced what the American and Canadian scenes are like and how truly terrible the Australian Smash community is compared to them.
quite a few aus players have been to america and played smash there >_>

they got absolutely trashed (cept cao) but they've been.

pressokman

Smash Apprentice
I love the game, hate the scene. seriously. i don't give a **** about what people like you think because you will never improve. Australia has the worst attitude about smash i've ever seen. I won't judge the entire country based on a few ****heads but people like syke and redact are poison to your scene and it will never again have a tournament like reloaded. you are fail. no **** talking on the boards will make you better. don't tell my brother to stfu or you will get more than a friendly video game ****.

LOL @ "severely sandbagging" **** you man and play better

I don't need to john. i placed higher than all of you so it's you that needs to back your **** talk and not me.

@SD: Yea, I feel i could have done a lot better all day, especially vs kas.

I do NOT want to participate in any Australian Power ranking so it would be best to change the subject.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
I think sometimes people overestimate the importance of power rankings - to me, tournament results in themselves are far more important rankings, even though they may be flawed from bad seeding, having a bad day, sandbagging or other circumstances - at the end of a day, it's a concrete representation of players' performances when it mattered. Most good players have a pretty big ego and picture their true ability and potential above their placings. For some players that's true, for others it isn't. I don't doubt that some of our top players can do better when they try, but if they don't try, it doesn't really matter how well they could do.

This isn't to say power rankings aren't worthwhile - they're interesting and can provide a different angle of insight to players' skill, but they ultimately boil down to being an collaborative opinion piece between whoever's on the panel. Although the idea is that the panel should be the best qualified people with the best understanding of the scene and local metagame to get the most accurate analysis possible, it's still a very imprecise process - and this is especially so for a national PR in a country where we only really play each other a few times a year.

In my own defence of remaining in B-tier: My only loss in the last two majors to a player below A-tier was to Eric at Reloaded, who I did beat at ACL Melb (as well as Tedeth). I'm yet to actually play Scrubs or XLR8, but I can certainly keep up with Phil.

S.D

Smash Master
Yeah Atticus good, well from the few friendlies I played anyway.

All dis bad blood :( I love Monkeybear/Blackshadow.

I remember when I thought I could beat Zac too. Those were the days.

pressokman

Smash Apprentice
Yea i don't usually get mad. especially over things like this. <3 S.D. and atticus

To each his own. Obviously nothing i say can change your attitude syke so i don't plan to try.
What got me angry is when you bad mouthed my brother. Don't do that again. He is in Canada playing with blunted object and participating in real tournaments. What you said to him was uncalled for.
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

As for atticus. his fox is legit and should def be moved up :)

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I think you care about my opinion too much here, you realise im not even on the panel for this?

there is absolutely no need to make an alternate tier for the rankings. ted/atticus/myself/monkeybear/scrubs/blackshadow have a large enough gap between the top 5 that no one should be moved up.

there is not a large enough gap in any part of b tier to warrant a new tier, there are some that stand above others (monkeybear) but they are much much closer to b tier players than a tier.

also before you call myself poison, you realise i run almost every single tournament for the by far most active smash scene in australia?

like if you cant handle someone throwing some **** at you, then dont throw **** back and just ignore my posts.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Look guys, I think we're missing the big picture here, we should be discussing the real issue:

Why isn't Aussierob representing the C tier. THATS what matters.

**** the A tier.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think i should be s tier, then zxv a tier, then syke/kas/sd b tier, then c tier

Dekar289

Smash Hero
im guessing we're not updating this since there's been no new posts in the group thing
next stop bam

Dekar289

Smash Hero
do you wanna discuss potential changes with your fellow panelists or this just the syke pr now
edit: too late... zz

Dekar289

Smash Hero
nah i jks sam
you 2 are dead even iirc? you 3-2 him at tpoo, he 3-2 you at acl

syke you can't just pick up and play peach, you needs years of intense training to get to the professional level my peach is at

Zxv

Smash Lord
We have like 4 tiers imo.

S) Dekar (3-0s everybody in the scene except me)
A) Zxv, Syke, S.D, Sirias (good players who any one of them could take a major on a good day)
B) Monkeybear (Above C tier, but not quite ready to place in A tier - pending further tournament results)
C) Ted, Atticus, Redact, Scrubs, XLR8 etc (the rest of the notably good players)

Having tiers makes everything too hard. To move MB to A tier means somebody has to move out of A tier (either Dekar moving up or somebody else moving down), but he clearly does not belong in B tier, nor does anybody else in A tier.

The whole purpose of tiers was to make placing people easier. But it simply does not work for us as we have 6 A-tier material players (and if Cao hadn't left we'd have 7, making it even more awkward). I vote we go back to having a numerical PR. The ranking is pretty easy to ascertain right now:

1) Dekar
2) Zxv
3) Syke
4/5) S.D/Sirias
6) Monkeybear
7) Ted
8/9) Atticus/Red
10) Scrubs/Accelerate

Something along those lines.

my 2c

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I think we should rank these just like the Chopin competition, because we all know Chopin was a beast at melee.

My proposed rankings with the Chopin competition style rankings in mind:

1) Not awarded
2) Not awarded
3) Dekar
4) Not awarded
5) Not awarded
6) Not awarded
7) Not awarded
8) Not awarded
9) Zxv
10) Not awarded

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i suck vs ics, only ever beaten you once sam, and if you watch the match i get very very lucky lol

Top Bottom