• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AUGUST 15 - 16th - ROFA'S MIDWEST CIRCUIT EVENT - GONNA BE HYPE AS **** IN ANN ARBOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
This will most likely be my last tournament. I hope to see everyone there and hope to have a good turnout but most of all, have a great time. Please invite everyone you can, because we're trying to get 100 people.
bullsh

you are coming to WTON on September 13th. No johns. Japan can wait.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Vayseth, did you make the facebook group? Or should I get on that?

I'm just not a fan of facebook, so I try to avoid all contact if possible :D

D_B_S

Smash Lord
>_< THIS IS MY LAST TOURNEY TOO....

I GOTTA GO BACK TO FLORIDA :(

I love island chicks n school

SO.....We R GETTING HIGH AS ****!!!

*touches Mikehaze*

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is my... well, one of many tournaments I will be attending.

Levitas

the moon
I'm still not sure who actually announced that UMBs are Melee. Whatever.
Didn't that just kinda happen when okiyama posted "I'm so glad the UMBs are gonna go back to melee on Scotu's wall in june sometime?

Also, hellz yeah, I'm showing up to this!

Vayseth

Smash Master
University of Michigan Biweeklies.

Panda, I'll make it, sure. I hope I can do it today, if not, it'll go up Sunday. I'll post links to the event here and I'd like you all to invite your friends with it.

Notice that the facebook event will be only for Saturday, because I don't want scrubs either coming friday OR saturday, nor do I want them to come friday, realize how good people are, and leave.

Just because this is my last tournament does not mean I will not be going to other tournaments. I've just decided that I have more fun not entering and playign casuals. This just isn't my game to play competitively. I'll show up to the events, dun worry =) (Lain would kill me if I didn't).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Midwest is rather spread out in terms of opinions, character mains... skill level...

I guess that's what happens when the "best players" of the region are all scattered in various states.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You mean like dthrow chaingrabbing with Falco and WoPing with Wario until someone gets bored?

Technical skill in Melee was overrated by all the bad players, it didn't make you win, it just gave you more ways to try to win.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
yeah but if u were super good at tech skills n knew how to play you stood a chance fo winning...

THat y alot of brawl players r wack that was good in melee....

N u cant compare Woping and Falco chain grab

to

Wave SHining wave dashingl lcanceling falco pillaring and a whole bunch of bull...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You completely missed the point I was making and ended up supporting it.

One thing that can be done with each character compared to multiple things that can be done by several characters? How does this make Brawl so much more than Melee? For all the technical that some Fox players could do, all I had to do was pick Sheik, dash attack a few times, and finish with a fair for roughly the same effect.

The thing is, and I do hope people are paying attention to results out-of-state, the only MI players who've proven to be able to compete at a higher than local level are Anther, Joel, and Rofa. In Melee's case, Dope, Mikey, Shaeden, and Anther, and borderline Biggy, maybe lain. It's rather silly to call people "good" in a game where they couldn't break into brackets or even get out of first pools.

Unless you want to just call everyone who can beat a LV9 CPU "good." Brings back memories from the casual N64 days, heh.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
So the SBR Recommended Ruleset is FINALLY finished and posted:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097738#post5097738
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097744#post5097744

With the exception of the starter stages, the rules we used in Digi Ops were actually based off the SBR Ruleset at the time, so it hopefully won't take MI very long to get used to the new stuff (like stage striking and stuff). This circuit event is the 2nd big tournament in MI using the rules that will likely become the standard later on. It'll be fun ^_^

D_B_S

Smash Lord
Well actually alot of us can probably compete on an out of state level in Brawl

We just dont have the transportation

Honestly I think My self and Thax and Omega can compete at a high level along with anther
joel and rofa.....

transportation issues

And like brawl is better ....as you stated.... EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING GOOD....COMPARED TO IN MELEE HOW ONE CHARACTER WAS BROKE...EVEN THOUGH IT WAS MORE THAN ONE... BUT YEAH FIGHTS ARE A LITTLE MORE EVEN

IMO BRAWL OVER MELEE.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Getting 9th does not equal being able to compete at a regional level. There's "confidence," and then there's just "arrogance." thaxceptional1 went to MSOP3, placed 9th. No "transportation issues" there.

As I stated, several characters can do several things, as opposed to each character doing one thing (even though, even for Brawl, this one is wrong, but you're not saying otherwise).

SBR Ruleset is total win.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
? anther placed 9th there too. and before that i won a tournament in southfield, so thats a local win. i think a local win is somewhat of a high level considering there are many people who play this game outside this site. and also the tournaments with "high level" of play always have the same people. it couldnt be much of a high level if the same people are winning against the same people could it? it really doesnt matter because being good at this game makes you nobody. beating people is just fun, and the money pays off. i wouldnt even play this game competitively if i wasnt sure id be profiting somewhat in the future. and that isnt arrogance, thats just my confidence.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
YEAh

I honestly think Thax could be one of the best at the game

N its really not fair of you ANkoku to say he cant because he placed 9th

but wateva

It cool

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's not fair of you to put words into my mouth, but wateva It cool.

Thus far, the only person from the Midwest to enter a tournament with national attendance (meaning, significant attendance from more than just one region) is Joel, who placed 7th.

7th is good, for a national level tournament, yes, but it's not "the best at the game." And that's not even talking about the rest of the people in this state (excluding Anther who's shown a rather consistent win record against him).

It's somewhat good that thax can go and win a local tournament in Southfield and at least place top 16 in a MWC event, and at least that gives him some leverage to say he has skill. What about you? Is your being the best determined by friendlies? Wifi? Just being "confident?"

D_B_S

Smash Lord
MY skill is Determined By the people That I beat offline as well oNline .... And I have many people tell me they think Im one of the Best in MI

I took the title for best in Detroit....Went around the city like everyday on the bus to spots to where people smash and beat em

I took 4 at southfield planet x , I took 3rd in teams with Thax @ ROFAS

N I have tons of Confidences.... N thats Y Im DBS

Yall lames knew that from the being

N why u mocking wat IM saying like " Wateva Its cool"

You kno yo lame *** dont talk like that

and you basically did say he couldnt be the best because he took 9th...

"WATEVA ITS COOL" I done

Just play me or something

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I place first in all non-smashboards/AiB related local tourneys. Does that make me good? (the answer is no)

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
LOL WHAT? How can you be the best if you placed 9th? That means eight people did better than you!
I'm going to MM you, and if I somehow win, which I shouldn't, I'm going to tell you firsthand that you are not the best in the nation by any means.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
Thats fine watever

N i didnt say he was the best I said he has a chance at being one of the best

Takumaru I would think you were good if you placed first in all non aib/smashboards tourneys

if u really did that.....

ITs seems like people underestimate people thats not on boards....

ANyways money match me.... u win you say watva you want

Overswarm

is laughing at you
DBS, I'll MM you :D

I'm kind of new at this, but I'm REALLY confident.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
ITs seems like people underestimate people thats not on boards....
In my experience from MGC....
I played like, 7 people, and more than that in friendlies. The only people who were competition were Dre the Ace, who goes to Smashboards, Randy, where we just messed around and played a Roy ditto in the end, and lain, who's a regular around here.

In playing people at GLL3, the only people who beat me was some guy named Kip who spammed thundershocks and lost the set anyway, Joel who's Joel, and JKBuK who as it turns out also goes to Smashboards.

At WAAA1, seven of the top eight placers are either regulars at Smashboards or visit it to some extent.

It's not that we underestimate them, it's that they're just... not as good as they think they are.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Knowledge is power. Those iwthout smashboards generally have limited knowledge.

D_B_S

Smash Lord
In my experience from MGC....
I played like, 7 people, and more than that in friendlies. The only people who were competition were Dre the Ace, who goes to Smashboards, Randy, where we just messed around and played a Roy ditto in the end, and lain, who's a regular around here.

In playing people at GLL3, the only people who beat me was some guy named Kip who spammed thundershocks and lost the set anyway, Joel who's Joel, and JKBuK who as it turns out also goes to Smashboards.

At WAAA1, seven of the top eight placers are either regulars at Smashboards or visit it to some extent.

It's not that we underestimate them, it's that they're just... not as good as they think they are.
Well I personally Know people that dont be on the boards And they're pretty good

but yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom