• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ATTENTION ALL TOURNEY HOSTS - Ban Ledge Stalling

complexity1234

Smash Apprentice
so quit complaining and try to win with him. I'm sorry you aren't happy that Rob is not as good as MK, it doesn't mean the answer it to ban him. You're only going to convince random scrubs, NY NJ PA tourney hosts are not changing. Why don't you actually spend your time playing the game rather than whining about Rob isn't as good of a character as MK is. I'm pretty sure Neo wanted to **** everyone with Roy, but Marth is just a better character. If you don't enjoy the game, don't play it. My solution is fine, it has been tested before and worked, so stop trying to ruin everyone else's fun.
owned Lol. nice1. Its bc his rob is countered by MK why he hates him. Imagine a snake player going around wanting DDD or falco to be banned just bc of his counter.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
owned Lol. nice1. Its bc his rob is countered by MK why he hates him. Imagine a snake player going around wanting DDD or falco to be banned just bc of his counter.
I only consistently lost to one MK ever with my ROB... DSF.

I beat his Snake with ROB just as badly.

The clincher is when I picked up MK, who I did not play, and beat DSF in a MK ditto. He won the majority of them, but they were almost all one stock matches at worst! I then used MK after only two weeks of playing online matches and lost only to 1rst and 2nd place players at a MW tournament, and doing exceptionally well against both... while winning doubles by a large margin.

It was one of the things, among all others (like the ever increasing effect of MK on the tournament scene) that led me to main MK.... and want him banned. I play with MK and do well for myself, but he's detrimental to Brawl. Because of MK, you made a thread solely to ban a funadamental aspect of this game that isn't an issue except when Metaknight does it.

Metaknight is the character that is just too good at everything... including ledge stalling. No one else can do it as effectively.

So why not just ban Metaknight and solve everyone's problems?

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
The clincher is when I picked up MK, who I did not play, and beat DSF in a MK ditto. He won the majority of them, but they were almost all one stock matches at worst! I then used MK after only two weeks of playing online matches and lost only to 1rst and 2nd place players at a MW tournament, and doing exceptionally well against both... while winning doubles by a large margin.
No character is hard to learn in Brawl :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. It just so happens that Meta is better then the rest so you will obviously do well with him if you're good.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I made a really good long post but then smashboards lagged and I lost it all so I'll just make this shorter

Overswarm, you threatened to ledge plank vs everybody just to prove your point that MK should be banned, which is the most disrespectful thing ever and you should be ashamed to call yourself a gamer. You are bad for the community, that is why you are against this so heavily, because all you care about is that you get what you want. You are hiding behind some MK dittos that don't matter to try to say that your MK is so much better than your Rob, well go OOS and **** ppl with MK then and stop complaining. I could ledge camp with Sheik or Jigglypuff if I wanted to in Melee, to get easy wins, but that's cheap and disrespectful and takes almost zero skill to accomplish as well as being really boring and makes people want to quit the game, which is why I suggested to put rules against it. The only reason you are against this is because you want MK the character banned because he does good against Rob and after that the only character that really ***** rob is GW so you will basically be able to **** everyone after that since no one else really does that good against rob, especially not the campy way you play. Anyone with a brain can see banning stupid tactics like these will make the game more fun as it involves actual fighting, but that's not what you want. You don't show any support of elements of these at all, that is the last thing you want, you love ledge camping and ruining the fun for your opponents. Most people have some honor in them, but you have none, and most people that know a lot about the game do not agree with you, so why don't you learn how to host your own tourneys and ban MK there. Stop pretending that you care about what the community wants when you clearly don't, all you care about is that MK gets banned for your own selfish reasons.

OF 'til I OD

More vibes, please.
3DS FC
3797-8618-3772
Switch FC
SW-4939-9118-0296
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Delete this post.
Thanks dawg, now I know how to bypass the fucking gay filter.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
there is a significant difference between laser camping on the actual stage and staying on the ledge the entire time putting people in a bad position that they cant avoid, because one of them you can do something about

on that related note about DK, DK has a huge advantage over Fox on FD, but bum doesn't do death grabs as gay as I do, if he did I would have gotten ***** there.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Fail M2K, just fail.

Just ban the little MK, and half of this issue will be gone, as well as everyone's gripes with MK himself.

See, we're killing two M2Ks with one stone.

It's a win/win scenario.

So why not just ban Metaknight and solve everyone's problems?
and finally, lol @ talking about honor M2K. You play Meta Knight. If I wanted to talk about honor, I could easily say that you don't deserve it for playing someone so easy to play as and hard to beat.

D

Deleted member

This is his latest attempt to safeguard MK.. take away one of MKs options. The problem is MK, not ledge stalling. Cut to the chase.
This is every character's problem. If anything, removing the ledge stalling from the character best in the game at it would level the playing field, not put it to his advantage.

Take your war elsewhere.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
there is a significant difference between laser camping on the actual stage and staying on the ledge the entire time putting people in a bad position that they cant avoid, because one of them you can do something about

on that related note about DK, DK has a huge advantage over Fox on FD, but bum doesn't do death grabs as gay as I do, if he did I would have gotten ***** there.
that wasn't the point

the point is you play gay but on the other hand you are preaching about honor in a video game, lmao

Mew2King

King of the Mews
i have not played gay at all in brawl except for the earlier days when i was still learning things. Always can my opponent do something to fight me back, I try to space better and cover options; you should probably know what you're talking about before saying things like that

D

Deleted member

I don't see how m2k plays gay at all. Every match he plays is 2-3 minutes of hunt you, **** you, kill you, eat your ****ing pants off of your corpse.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
that wasn't the point

the point is you play gay but on the other hand you are preaching about honor in a video game, lmao
There's a difference between "Abusing a broken tactic" and "Abusing a character weakness." DK has trouble dealing with projectiles, so the best way to beat him is stay back and projectile camp him, it happens in alot of matches with DK. The difference between ledge stalling and projectile camping is that projectile camping can be beaten. There's a difference between "annoying gay" and "Broken gay" and ledge stalling is "Broken gay"

Skler

Smash Master
Ledge camping isn't broken in Melee. Ledge stalling (permanent invincibility) is banned because it makes you invincible and you can stall indefinitely. Banning ledge camping is silly, it's just another form of camping. It isn't a stall tactic because you can HIT the ledge camper, just because it's hard to get around doesn't mean you should ban it (this goes for MK and ledge camping). Maybe everyone shouldn't play a game where winning requires doing the most boring **** ever.

Let me repeat, you can hit them out of it so you CAN get around it. Just because it makes brawl boring doesn't mean it should be banned (might as well ban camping at all then) and ledge camping in melee is allowed and not broken, stalling via invincibility is banned.

Hard to beat =/= should be banned.

Alukard

Smash Hero
There's a difference between "Abusing a broken tactic" and "Abusing a character weakness." DK has trouble dealing with projectiles, so the best way to beat him is stay back and projectile camp him, it happens in alot of matches with DK. The difference between ledge stalling and projectile camping is that projectile camping can be beaten. There's a difference between "annoying gay" and "Broken gay" and ledge stalling is "Broken gay"
thats the same thing man ... if some characters can't do anything about the ledge stalling its the characters weakness as well according to ur logic ... and m2k u contradicted urself ... =\

u just said have honor ... but yet said bum could win if he was gayer(no honor) ...makes no sense

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Alukard me and the smash community as a whole throws the word "gay" around to mean lots of things. That's misinterpretaton. Whenever I do a death CG people call it gay, even if it takes skill. Gay generally means something really overpowered (that's what I think anyway), but it isn't necessarily something bad or stupid.

I think Pink Reaper summed it up the best.

TheLake

Smash Master
CHRIST TELL ME YOUR SECRET!

I dont wanna get shot to death anymore :(

And lol to everyone trying to contradict m2k cause it makes them feel warm inside

Brawls silly

metaknight looks good without his mask

sklers new tactic is godly

done and done

soap

Smash Hero
sheik ledgestalling is not that broken ya she has invincibilty frames but she is vulnerable cuz u can take the ledge, but the trick is to just wavedash in backwards to put the fear in their mind of the idea that ur going to edgehog but anticipate the ledgehop fair and space it out. or just walk over really quick and PC edgehog, bam they're dead.

everytime jigglypuffs would start jacking off off the stage id hit them with projectiles, or take the ledge and use frames to edgeguard

but its true ledgestalling does put u in a semiadvantageous position it can be beaten. im talking about all melee of course.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Gay" is not a negative adjective. Stop using it as one because it makes you look ignorant and ******** kthx.

JFox

Smash Hero
You guys are pretty stupid. MK is the best character, but once u ban him, there will be a new best character. So then people will ***** about snake until u ban him too. You cant just go around banning characters. If people have any faith in this game, they need to just learn to fight the character, and stop *****ing.

As far as he ledge stalling goes, I think u should ban it cuz its a form of stalling. Yes u can hit them, but u can also hit a jiggs who is stalling by using rising pound if u go out and get her, yet that has been banned for countless years cuz it puts u at a huge disadvantage to try and attack them. Tactics used as stalling have always been banned, and this should be no different. They also make tournaments run a hell of a lot longer, and for practicality sake, u need to run the god**** tournament. Its ridiculous. People have always agreed that stalling should be banned. U can't just say "no johns, find a way around it" to every single thing. It just promotes cheap effortless tactics that mask a weaker players lack of skill.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
In all fairness though, the MK thing isn't about him being the best, it's about the perceived lack of viable counter characters and strategies. I agree with the rest of your post though.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Ledge stalling cannot be regulated. Camping is camping. It's ****ing ******** to ban camping in a game where the entire game is camping anyways.

**** brawl and **** this stupid rule.

ProBrawler

Smash Lord
Westchester, NY ; Cornell University in the school
Everyone needs to stop switching to MK under the pretext that they can't win w/ anyone else. First off, that's stupid and lame. I stick w/ my main regardless of their disadvantages. It makes it that much more fun to beat top tiers and to DISCOVER NEW tactics and advantages they have. Keep trying to tap into your characters full potential until you succeed. The challenge is awesome. But anyway, if you just have to switch, no character guarantees you a win. How can Azen win with Lucario? How can ChuDat win with Kirby? Ally wins with Snake, Holy with ROB, and Snakeee w/ ZSS (OMG A MID TIER). It's not MK, it's the players that use him. He's the best character in the game and is easier to pick up at a basic level. But at the highest level of play any character takes skill. Perhaps some more than others but it's far from hopeless. And yes, I know most of this has been said somewhere sometime but I feel that it's worth reiterating in this thread. And yes, I have faced top level MK's. And imo, I actually do worse w/ MK and Snake than any Mid tier character I pick, even vs. highly capable opponents.

As for ledge stalling, there's not much that hasn't already been said here. It takes little to no skill, while being enormously successful. And is as frustrating as heck.

And why would you blame M2K for wanting to keep his character from being banned? It's only natural that he doesn't want to see his time wasted. A hypothetical analogy: Someone practices all of their life to be on the Olympic swimming team. Then for some reason the committee drops swimming. So how would that person feel like now, after spending so much time preparing for something that was abolished. Oh and it was taken away because, idk, it was too popular took away too much attention from the other events. Okay, so that's not the perfect example and is a little extreme, but it's the sentiment behind it.

Alright, so anyway. A part of the reason why people hate MK is because he can win while using questionable "strategies." So why not just take away some of those stupid noob tactics? In this case, ledge stalling. Instead of just destroying the character altogether.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
How can Azen win with Lucario? How can ChuDat win with Kirby? Ally wins with Snake, Holy with ROB, and Snakeee w/ ZSS (OMG A MID TIER).
azen uses mk too
kirby is good, and has chu really won that often, i was under the impression he just does really well
snake is arguably second best in the game, LOL
ROB is really good too, and who in the flying hell is holy
snakeee doesn't win usually he just places well and just knows his stuff afaik

Skler

Smash Master
So why not just take away some of those stupid noob tactics?
Isn't banning a "stupid noob tactic" being stupid and noobish? Boo hoo I can't deal with edge camping, it's too hard :(.

If you limit it to only 10 seconds they can camp 10 seconds, fly under the stage to the other edge and then camp 10 more seconds. I love making arbitrary, difficult to enforce rules.

JFox

Smash Hero
Lemme break it down for you guys:

Stalling in ANY form is against the rules because it exploits a weakness in the tournament system. The reason a timer was put in is because realistically, matches can only be allowed to run for so long for the sake of a tournament finishing in a timely fashion. But it was not intended for matches to be won by running the time down. The timer is a construct created as an aid to a tournament setting, and is not actually a part of the game of melee.

The only way that this construct can be functional in a tourney setting is if it goes unexploited. However, if people exploit the fact that they can win USING the timer to their advantage, then it really isn't fair to have that in tournaments at all.

Now the idea of having the right to call a Tourney director is completely valid, and anyone who disagrees has to refute the fact that it has worked for years in melee. In melee, u can call a tourney director over if u ever feel that someone is using any of the following tactics as a form of stalling: peach's wallbombing, jiggs rising pound, luigi's ladder (teams), fox's shine infinite (wall), or IC's wobbling as a form of stalling. Its the same idea.

You can't possibly argue that a person CANNOT do anything about a wallbombing peach that is trying to stall. So why is it banned then? Because it puts someone in a disadvantage to try and attack someone who is in such a position. Yes u CAN attack them, but it would be to there advantage if u did, because they can easily kill u in such a position. Its the same idea here. You CAN do something about a person ledge stalling, but its not fair that you have to put urself at a disadvantage in order to do so.

This isn't just about metaknight, or brawl, or jigglypuffs, its about stalling in general. Excessive stalling in an attempt to win by running down the time is illegal in tournamnets, and has been for years. This is just another form of stalling, nothing more. Its no different then any of the other stalls that have been banned in the past. I don't see how people can possibly refute this.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Actually, I'd find Bowser hard pressed to get a wall bombing peach off the bottom of a wall.

Top Bottom