• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Stick? Tap Jump? What's your controls? (Updated)

Palpi

Smash Hero
I also play using the C-stick for Ike's tilts. I find it a lot easier to play him that way, and it also helps when I'm playing as other characters as well.
You can make different config for different names,plus I sometimes still got nair pushing down all the way, it might be directional too.

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet
yea, the hardest part is getting used to using the directions for aerials. I eventually gave up on that and just went with the ol' A button.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I really just wish the tilt sticking could be flawless, but the doop walking thing will be a lot of practice, but I think there will be commin grounds. Easier tilts, or the utilization of tilts is the decision.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
I never really use the C-Stick, except for autoRARing, which I do very rarely (hence it's set to B-Sticking).

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
I pretty much never use the C-Stick for anything. The last time I used it, I was experimenting with the QD "tech" during which Ike lunges back slightly before shooting forward.

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently thinking about switching to XY jumping, to give the edge in my edge game (haha whoops, pun). It allows far, far easier ledgehopping, as I tested today, and also frees up being able to ledgehop a NAir which is nigh impossible with tap. Also, c-stick tilts a good idea? I always end up smashing when trying to tilt, although im probably being a bit quick with them.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I am not saying make Tap jump your consistent jump, but do you agree with having it on so you can do Aether from water?
Yes. NinjaLink, Kirk, Rykoshet, Arturito, and others have proven that Aether from the water sets up incredibly well for DAir gimps, as well as warding off others who may be tempted to spike you.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I prove stuff?

tap jump makes auto canceling Bairs a lot easier its the sole reason I switched to it. Well it also makes fighting falco easier don't have to sweat over a chain grab near the ledge.

Did you change the title of this lol?

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I tilt-stick as well. Having non-FF Dairs help alot. Tap Jump is also on. Left everything else on default for comfort. Having R as Specials or X as grab would feel a little awkward for me.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Right now I have:

Tap Jump: On
Z: Attack (If I ever had a random urge to doop walk)
Y: Grab
X: Jump
Smash Stick for hyphen smashing and smash DI (wish i would remember to ALWAYS do it)

Oceans14

Smash Rookie
Just like most people here, I have the c-stick set to tilts, and tap jump off. Other than that my control scheme is default.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I realized people with tap jump off are limiting them selfs to some easier game play. Auto canceling Bairs is a lot easier with tap jump, you never have to fear a falco chain grab > spike.

The only real reason people turn it off is so they can utilt easily but it's not worth it seeing as it takes about a day with it on to preform tilts instead of jumping.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
My controls are so ridiculous I sometimes wonder why I have them.

Tap Jump ON: This is used solely to time recovery and for precision.

Y: Jump. This is for offensive jumping, namely SH approaches or normal spaced attacks.

X: Grab. Due to the way in which I hold the controller, this is easier than pressing Z.

L: Specials. Same as above, but this also lets me do the nifty B stick things without actually switching to Bstick.

Cstick: Attacks, for walk-off Dair.

R: Shield, for shielding shieldable attacks. Shield shield.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Both Shoulders are Shield because for some reason I s hield with L on the ground and air dodge with R. Z is grab because most of the time im shield grabbing anyway, Y is jump, and X is special because it makes full hop quick draws easier. Tap jump is on for pivot hyphens, water aethers, and the fact hat if I hit up while tryign to aether and someone is next to me in the air, it makes for a lot of inadvertant footstools. C stick is set to tilts but I only use it for walk off dair and up tilting.

Reaperman64

Smash Apprentice
ummm my controls are
wii mote and nunchuck
tap jump off
down dpad is grab
left right dpad is smash
and the rest is default

Marauder

Smash Journeyman
I have a question.

Which do you guys think is more necessary, tilt-stick or SDI? I have my controls set to C-Stick tilts right now, but I've been seeing the importance of SDI recently. What do you think is the better config?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well, as showed by ryko, Tilt sticking is very important for the walk off dairs and actually becoming more used to charging and timing smashes.

(I missed Rookie with a fmash cause I didn't charge it)

There was 3 times while I played Rj (Lucario) where he said you could've walk off dair'd me which would've won me the rounds, (was friendlies) but I couldn't walk off dair.

I would have to that tilt-sticking is best if practiced. I am practicing it a lot for next tournament.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
SDI >>>>> tilt sticking. Tilt sticking doesn't really get you much. charging smashes is easily done via the z button (esp for someone like Ike, who has his charge frames sooooo late in the animation) with the C-smash-stick, or with A the conventional way.

Personally, I have found the default controls to be the most effective for pretty much everything in the game.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I like my Dair spiking at any moment in the air too much to have C-smash. And when I have C-smash, I end up spamming smashes.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I like my Dair spiking at any moment in the air too much to have C-smash. And when I have C-smash, I end up spamming smashes.
I personally don't see how you could possibly spam smashes with Ike, they are all fairly situational.

Fsmash is a punisher and should be charged for optimum release.

Up Smash is for airdodges and should also be charged.

Down Smash just sucks, so don't bother with it.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Lingering habit, thats how. Curse you Melee days when I was a noob and played against bigger noobs and thought Young Link's smashes where the pwnzers.

But for Ike, it would mainly be his Usmash. I love the Hyphen Smash, which I can still do with C-tilt, but if I have c-smash on, I'll use it almost every time the opponent is in the air instead of Utilt or Uair.

That, and I REALLY like dair without the risk of FFing. And I'm messing around with tilt jabbing by pressing the c-stick backwards when it's on tilt.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
spam smashes? my team is going to fail....

But yah SDI >>>>>>> all

Walk off Dairs are the only thing that you get from tilt sticking you can do everything else as long as your not ********.

You don't actually need walk off dairs though a full hop FF dair hits at the same place that a walk off does. You just have to get the timing better off but it actually gives you more options because you don't commit to a dair as soon as you leave the stage.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
ummm no... you just dair and keep going down because of gravity. You can double jump and aether back onto the stage that way though just like with walk off dairs.

I stole this idea from silven btw.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
spam smashes? my team is going to fail....

But yah SDI >>>>>>> all

Walk off Dairs are the only thing that you get from tilt sticking you can do everything else as long as your not ********.

You don't actually need walk off dairs though a full hop FF dair hits at the same place that a walk off does. You just have to get the timing better off but it actually gives you more options because you don't commit to a dair as soon as you leave the stage.
I obviously don't do that anymore. That was mainly at first. I probably could use C-smash, but I don't wanna. :laugh:

You also can't use retreating Nairs with C-smash.

MikuMiku~

Smash Cadet
Because alot of post here noted that Tap jump is good, I'll try it!
Other controls I have changed=Cstick are tilts. .-. I'm experimenting with that too because of the post here.

Top Bottom