• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attack Stick? Tap Jump? What's your controls? (Updated)

Palpi

Smash Hero
**Most quotes are fragments of actual posts**

Attack stick or Smash stick? -- -- -- -- Tap Jump on? Off?

Pros:
I only use the "Tilt Stick" (even though it should be called the Attack Stick) to control my spikes; with the Tilt Stick, you don't auto-fastfall your DAirs, allowing you to do stuff like walk-off DAir or just jump out - very far, for Ike - and spike your opponent. It's only recently that I've been using the Tilt Stick for doing tilts, but I have to play around with it more before fully implementing it to my game..
Tilt sticking can be used for walk off dairs, meaning going off the stage and using a dair without automatically fastfalling.

This can be done manually by gently holding down then pressing a. (correct me if I am wrong.) It is about the timing and feel of a tilt, but really difficult to pull off regularly.

Cons:
You will either perform a jab (or nair) if your input is not direct with the c-stick or jump when it it can not be performed.
you jump because you can't use the Abutton function yet, so he only registers the Up that is generated by Csticking up. That's why you jump, same goes if you do it diagonally really slowly, you'll jab, since you don't generate a 'direction'.
Smash Sticking is default controls and also a great form of control settings as for Ike and most other characters.

But yah SDI >>>>>>> all

Walk off Dairs are the only thing that you get from tilt sticking you can do everything else as long as your not ********.

You don't actually need walk off dairs though a full hop FF dair hits at the same place that a walk off does. You just have to get the timing better off but it actually gives you more options because you don't commit to a dair as soon as you leave the stage.
Smash DI is a necesity when it comes to surviving and avoiding damage wracking from multiple hit moves. If you are going to try to get high percents and conserve that first or second stock, smash DI is needed.

You can still use retreating nairs with smash stick.

Ike's jump start up time is hella slow. You can buffer a nair towards the end of his jump startup, then hold back as you're leaving the ground, and be drifting back while nairing the whole time you're in the air.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Tap Jump:

Tap jump can be a bit annoying. Sometimes I found myself not realizing my used my 2nd jump which sends me nowhere or trying to utilt and jumping. A few min in training can easily bring tap jump into your game.

But why would you want Tap jump?

Tap jumping can be used in a number of situations.

tap jump makes auto canceling Bairs a lot easier its the sole reason I switched to it.
Though I do not use tap jump for auto cancelling bairs, it can be a quick and efficient way to steadily get off a bair with no landing lag.

Tap jump is also a great choice of controls because you can aether directly from water. This is done by inputting Up, Jump, and "Special" at the same time. You can have X as jump and Y as Special (or other way around) and perform Aether from water without tap jump, but if you cannot change those controls Tap jump is a great alternative to get the up and jump input with 1 finger. :)

Yes. NinjaLink, Kirk, Rykoshet, Arturito, and others have proven that Aether from the water sets up incredibly well for DAir gimps, as well as warding off others who may be tempted to spike you.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Sorry if this is not new material or question, delete if it is.

I have found that Ike's smashes are slow. Great discovery huh? No, but really, his tilts are probably his next slowest attacks, but are much more effective for racking up the percents and spacing. I have just experimented with using his tilts more, and it seemed effective enough to convert my controls to tilt sticking for easier more managable tilts.

What is your controls?
lol, really, when did you find out his smashes were too slow, I just found out during this post. :ohwell: I'm j/king, I changed my control set up for C-Stick to tilts also, it's easier to use.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
You need smash c-stick to be able to SDI.

I have C-Tilt, Jump Tap Off, and X as grab. Thinking I should change either L or R to jump, but I still need to play around with it a bit more before it keep it there. I saw that mentioned at the Jigglypuff boards. Seeing how much Ike SH's, being able to jump and hit the c-stick at the same time would be easier with a trigger jump button then trying to press Y and the C-stick at the exact same time.

I also can't find a use for the Z-button. I prefer X for grabs, but I can't find a new use for Z....

Palpi

Smash Hero
I have been fiddling around with the tilt stick and i seem to do jump sometimes with the tilts or do nothing with my aerials because of the tilt stick. Missing some spikes, normal aerials.. Any way around that?

It is actually a bit annoying when you think you can tilt the other way, and you jab or jump, but i guess that and the jumping is something i have to get used to. ?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
.............What the heck are you doing to manage to do that? I've heard of people complaining of Nairing instead of Dairing by accident, but doing nothing after hitting the C-stick? You sure you are hitting it all of the way?

And I have no clue about the jump thing, unless you still have jump tap on and you are accidently hitting up on the control stick.

metroid1117

Smash Master
You can SDI with the control stick, it's just that it's best if you use both sticks at the same time. I haven't had any problems with SDI'ing; even over Wi-Fi, I usually manage to SDI out of Snake's NAir.

I only use the "Tilt Stick" (even though it should be called the Attack Stick) to control my spikes; with the Tilt Stick, you don't auto-fastfall your DAirs, allowing you to do stuff like walk-off DAir or just jump out - very far, for Ike - and spike your opponent. It's only recently that I've been using the Tilt Stick for doing tilts, but I have to play around with it more before fully implementing it to my game.

Sometimes, though, the C-stick won't register inputs (which is a pain). My guess is that the action is being performed too soon (such as during lag); try slowing down a few frames or so.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I wonder has anyone realized when you hold diagonal down on the control stick you don't FF aerials with a smash stick

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
I also can't find a use for the Z-button. I prefer X for grabs, but I can't find a new use for Z....
Well, you could set Z to jump. Would make it easier to jump+C-stick.

Also, B- and A-sticking have a tendency to give a jump input at odd moments. No idea why, and it's probably related to the whole "pressing grab gives you a light shield" crap.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike rarely jumps out of tilt stick since they are WAY too slow. And light shields only exist in melee. I miss them :(

Palpi

Smash Hero
You can SDI with the control stick, it's just that it's best if you use both sticks at the same time. I haven't had any problems with SDI'ing; even over Wi-Fi, I usually manage to SDI out of Snake's NAir.

I only use the "Tilt Stick" (even though it should be called the Attack Stick) to control my spikes; with the Tilt Stick, you don't auto-fastfall your DAirs, allowing you to do stuff like walk-off DAir or just jump out - very far, for Ike - and spike your opponent. It's only recently that I've been using the Tilt Stick for doing tilts, but I have to play around with it more before fully implementing it to my game.

Sometimes, though, the C-stick won't register inputs (which is a pain). My guess is that the action is being performed too soon (such as during lag); try slowing down a few frames or so.
Hehe, tilt. attack :) It even happens (jumping from cstick) while I am standing still. I might fiddle with my jump config as well, but this "attack sticking" will take a while to get used to, but it seems pretty legit.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I wonder has anyone realized when you hold diagonal down on the control stick you don't FF aerials with a smash stick
Arturito has pointed this out to me many times, but I'd rather minimize the risk of suiciding; it seems more likely to screw up by fastfalling during a walk-off DAir rather than hitting a diagonal direction on the C-stick and NAir'ciding.

Just throwing this out there, tilt sticking also allows you to perform edgehopped NAirs more easily. Rykoshet posted a video demonstration of it a while back; you can look for it on YouTube if you're interested.

•Col•

Smash Champion
.............What the heck are you doing to manage to do that? I've heard of people complaining of Nairing instead of Dairing by accident, but doing nothing after hitting the C-stick? You sure you are hitting it all of the way?

And I have no clue about the jump thing, unless you still have jump tap on and you are accidently hitting up on the control stick.
I've done it too. It got really annoying for me... Random jumping isn't fun. That's why I stuck with c-stick smashing... D:

Palpi

Smash Hero
Okay thanks. I will look into it. Oh and the nair instead of dair is annoying lol. I am just going to weigh the pros and cons for both stick configurations.

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
The jumping when using the attack stick is caused by flicking the c-stick twice in rapid succession (in some cases) which can prove to be nusance. To avoid it, just slow down the pace, or finding an alternative around it.

And while talking about control set-ups, I'm still wonding how people use y to jump because IMO it seems time consuming, but then again I do have slow fingers.

Here's what I have for a set-up for my controller

A: Attack
B: Special
C: Tilt (sorry always played with A stick since late march)
D pad: either taunts or solid tilts (experimenting with)
L & R: Shield
X: Jump
Y: Grab
Z: No use as of yet (going to test out with set to attack)

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I had on tilt sticking for about a day. It was convenient being able to maneuver easier without the risk of suiciding, as well as being able to down-tilt and up-tilt out of a walk, but I liked being able to smash spontaneously out of a walk (sometimes in the opposite direction). I also found myself killing myself on accident with tilt stick sometimes because I neutral air'd when I wanted to meteor someone or something of the sort.

And if anyone's really so curious about my controls, then they're all default except:

L: Special (for Ganondorf)
Y: Shield

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
And while talking about control set-ups, I'm still wonding how people use y to jump because IMO it seems time consuming, but then again I do have slow fingers.
It's quickest input and fits my style. Using the Y button and then flicking the C-stick for attacking generally fits my reaction time. I hardly ever use the A button for my aerials since I use the control stick to control my aerial movement.

You gotta have some pretty fast fingers yeah, but it's not difficult to adapt to. And this is coming from a person who originally played with Tap Jump on.

EDIT: While we're on the subject with Smash DI: Yes, Smash DI can be done with just the control stuck. However, using both the C-stick and the Control stick allows for two inputs at the same time essentially allowing yourself to get out of multihit attacks at half the time required. This how G&W is starting to get defeated more often.

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621

I have C-Tilt, Jump Tap Off, and X as grab. Thinking I should change either L or R to jump, but I still need to play around with it a bit more before it keep it there. I saw that mentioned at the Jigglypuff boards. Seeing how much Ike SH's, being able to jump and hit the c-stick at the same time would be easier with a trigger jump button then trying to press Y and the C-stick at the exact same time.

Yeah, I'd make it jump. Man has this topic become a hot topic O_O

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Since my move tier list thread got locked, we go to any thread talking about a form of gameplay. ~_~ Why must the Ike's move tier list get locked by no one elses?!?!

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
Since my move tier list thread got locked, we go to any thread talking about a form of gameplay. ~_~ Why must the Ike's move tier list get locked by no one elses?!?!
Yeah, that is pretty weird, I don't know. I guess the mods don't think it's neccesary, but I haven't seen any others locked on the other boards.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
It depends on how you position your thumb on the A button and where you place the most pressure on the A button when you press it. When I hit the button, most of the pressure is around the 9-10 o'clock area. I can hit the B button faster because of this, so for me Y is better then X. If the pressure is almost dead center on the thumb, X would be faster for you.

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
It depends on how you position your thumb on the A button and where you place the most pressure on the A button when you press it. When I hit the button, most of the pressure is around the 9-10 o'clock area. I can hit the B button faster because of this, so for me Y is better then X. If the pressure is almost dead center on the thumb, X would be faster for you.
Makes sense. I might as well experiment with holding my remote.

I have no idea why it was closed. It sounded like something useful crucial to all Ike players. Gave a sense as to what moves are probably best to use and the best applications. Do you think it's possible to reason with a mod in hopes of reopening it? (I doubt it doubt)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I have no idea why it was closed. It sounded like something useful crucial to all Ike players. Gave a sense as to what moves are probably best to use and the best applications. Do you think it's possible to reason with a mod in hopes of reopening it? (I doubt it doubt)
I actually sent a PM to the mod.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Are the walk off dairs with tilt sticking really worth it? Because i find my self maybe every 1/6 or 1/7 dairs, it does a neutral air and every 1/15 ( these are not official numbers just estimations) tilts i jump or jab, I have not found much use for the tilt stick other than the ease of getting off a ftilt without messing with the analog stick., but that could be done with the d pad right?

I actually shield with L so i can keep my z grab, plus shield grabbing pwns :D

Royta

Smash Journeyman
you jump because you can't use the Abutton function yet, so he only registers the Up that is generated by Csticking up. That's why you jump, same goes if you do it diagonally really slowly, you'll jab, since you don't generate a 'direction' . It's a little buggd, but it works like a charm when you get used to it^^

Cross.

Smash Ace
I used to do this but I stopped cause of the jumping thing. I'm going to make a new profile just for ike with tilt sticking on though, because it just doesn't feel comfortable when I do it with other characters.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Well, I messed around with trigger jumping a bit. Didn't like it. However, Z-jumping on the other hand works well. Now I have:

A-Standard
B-Special
Y-Jump
X-Special (Don't really use, but in a few situations, it would be quicker then moving my thumb back to the B button)
Z-Jump
R-Shield
L-Grab
C-Tilt

I repositioned my hand as well a bit. My right pointer finger now rests on the Z-button while my middle finger is on the R-Button. It's kinda weird, and I'll have to train myself to get used to it, but I find it to be more efficient, especially with SHAerials.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I think i might use tilt pad instead of tilt stick. That can be done correctly right? I usually have all my things standard cept tap jump off and atm tilt stick, but im not digging it.

Lol, I tried B sticking with Ike and its completely useless. lol

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think i might use tilt pad instead of tilt stick. That can be done correctly right? I usually have all my things standard cept tap jump off and atm tilt stick, but im not digging it.

Lol, I tried B sticking with Ike and its completely useless. lol
I tried tilt pad and died doing a nair. the D-Pad does not do direction attacks. I'd be so happy to put one of the side inputs to better use.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I mean, just use tilt pad for ftilt and utilt, would that effect anything on your stick? Concerning aerials.

How'd you die from that?

Berserker_Cross

Smash Apprentice
I mean, just use tilt pad for ftilt and utilt, would that effect anything on your stick? Concerning aerials.

How'd you die from that?
There's no use in using the dpad for tilts. One would assume that the actual directions may start a tilt but it's just the equvilent as tapping the a button. And even if you want to use is for tilts, you would need to tilt the control stick and press the d pad at the same time.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Oh, okay thanks, i didn't understand the " no direction" thing at first, thought you could just press d pad direction.

I think i might stray away from tilt stick because c stick makes aerials more reliable and hyphen smashing as someone previously said easier.

*Z - Attack Y - Grab is good doop config.

Ta-kun the Pyro

Smash Cadet
I also play using the C-stick for Ike's tilts. I find it a lot easier to play him that way, and it also helps when I'm playing as other characters as well.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Tilt sticking is alot better in my opinion (allowing for walk of dairs increasing ike's edge game) you just have to get used to pushing the stick all the way so you don't Nair.

Top Bottom