• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I mean if Doomguy is not in Smash, I’d rather there be some damning evidence pointing to it sooner so people can start moving on then and there, than wait around two years for the season 2 DLC to finish unveiling only to find out he’s not in at that point.

Not getting my hopes up for Doomguy to the extent I had before after recent events has taken a certain weight off my shoulders. Not that I see him as an impossibility now or anything, but when the DLC’s already been decided anyway, I think lowering your expectations is the way to go, and if by some chance Doomguy turns out to be one of the DLC’s after all, it’ll make it all the sweeter and the wait beforehand less painful.

I guess with Doom as a series currently doing the best it has since I and II also (as the Doom III era was kinda divisive), any kind of advertisement for it in Smash will probably do it enough justice, although would prefer a full character over just Mii costumes but whatever happens, happens I guess.

Eternal seems like a potential peak for the series, like Doom 2016 but on a grander scale, so I’ll be good one way or the other regardless of how Doom might get represented in Smash once I start getting into that game, but I’ll still hope for you Doombros on the side, though whatever happens, keep your chin up and rip and tear until it is done.
Yeah this is exactly where I'm at. I have also lowered my expectations.
Even if he doesn't make it into smash this time around, Eternal looks SO damn good that it almost makes up for it.

There's several factors at play with Eternal that make me so confident and excited about it:
-DOOM 2016 was great even though it's development was troubled and it only came together in the last few years of a 9 year total development cycle.
-There was almost no turnover on the team between 2016 and Eternal, meaning it's the same devs who made 2016 great.
-As opposed to the turbulent development of 2016, this time around the team is much more comfortable with each other, what they want to do, and much more confident in their vision.
-Hugo has been remarkably open and honest in interviews about the game which inspires a ton of confidence as well.

So yeah, Doom Guy isn't completely out IMO, but I am lowering my expectations (which is kinda liberating) from where they were before and just kinda hoping we'll get a 3rd pass before all is said and done for Ultimate.

Soon enough I'll be too busy with Eternal to really think much about it for a while anyways...

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I don't think i posted anything here since the confirmation of how id was (Barely) talked to about Smash but uh.. all i know is that Doom Eternal looks good so far and i can live with Doomguy not being a playble character as long as his potential role isn't taken by a different character or Doom gets a non playable cameo.
I guess i prefer nothing at all than a monkey's paw.
Plus, there's the time after Eternal is out and whether or not they'll continue with characters in Smash.
Also, on the subject of celebrating Doom, the mod MetaDoom is having a future update (Or apparently two, before and after Eternal's release i guess?) and the codex feature of it has descriptions for secret items that just offer random info and trivia on Doom related history, from the Doom comic to the Tony Hawk crossover cameo, to even DeHacked and IDSPISPOPD or how you spell that cheat.
Basically, the mod really is trying to be a playable encyclopedia about Doom, like i haven't seen anything else on the same level.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Thoughts?
I think a wait and see approach is the best method here. Assume he's probably not in and hope for the best.

The interview hurts, but to play Devil's Advocate, if Marty does indeed know something we don't, then there's really not much else he can say when the interviewer pretty much kept pressing on the subject of "but you asked them?" I mean, we knew Bethesda had conversations about Smash since mid 2018. That wasn't really a new detail.

It's a conspiracy theory, sure. But it's hard to say something else about a situation only a select few people are actually going to know about.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Even though I don't think he's entirely out of the running yet, I don't think his chances are great.
That being said, I still kind of believe the Cacodemon costume is real, and if the Slayer doesn't get in, I think it might just be a random costume inclusion like Altair was.

IMO, the only things that would entirely deconfirm him would be-
-A Doom Spirit event (realistically, we should have all seen Byleth coming given the lack of a 3 houses spirit event)
-The Cacodemon costume (or any other Doom costume) getting added to the game alongside a newcomer that is not Doom Slayer

Until either of those two things happen, I'm not counting him out just yet.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Wanna hear my crackpot theory?

I think what Mr Stratton is saying is true, that Nintendo hasn't approached ID Software asking about if they can include the Doom Slayer into Smash. However, this wouldn't bring the Doom Slayer out of the running as many people have assumed. How is that so?

I'm of the belief that Nintendo approached Bethesda and/or Zenimax and not Id Software when it came to discussing and deciding on the Doom Slayer's inclusion into Smash as a whole, with Id only being clued in on this once the deal was agreed upon and development had started (which would necessitate Sakurai and Co. contacting Id so as to iron out how the Doom Slayer would play as a fighter in Smash, as well as to request audio/visual assets, music, Spirit graphics and ideas for Spirit/Classic Mode battles, small references they could weasel away into his stage and other fighter-contextual areas, etc.)

Notice how our good friend Pete Hines, Bethesda's senior vice president of global marketing & communications, has been the one playing coy with responses and interviews, with deflections such as "That'd be a good question for the Smash Bros" and other answers that aren't outright nos. Now consider my above proposal, and you can see how Stratton would be in a much better position to say "We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’"; a statement that looks like a deconfirmation at face value, but with just enough leeway to not be ousted as a full-blown lie if the Slayer does end up getting in.

Of course, given that there has already been a precedent set for individuals lying about fighter inclusions in Smash, this could all just be me talking out of my rear-end. Regardless, I still think it's something worth considering.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman

I think what Mr Stratton is saying is true, that Nintendo hasn't approached ID Software asking about if they can include the Doom Slayer into Smash. However, this wouldn't bring the Doom Slayer out of the running as many people have assumed. How is that so?

I'm of the belief that Nintendo approached Bethesda and/or Zenimax and not Id Software when it came to discussing and deciding on the Doom Slayer's inclusion into Smash as a whole, with Id only being clued in on this once the deal was agreed upon and development had started (which would necessitate Sakurai and Co. contacting Id so as to iron out how the Doom Slayer would play as a fighter in Smash, as well as to request audio/visual assets, music, Spirit graphics and ideas for Spirit/Classic Mode battles, small references they could weasel away into his stage and other fighter-contextual areas, etc.)

Notice how our good friend Pete Hines, Bethesda's senior vice president of global marketing & communications, has been the one playing coy with responses and interviews, with deflections such as "That'd be a good question for the Smash Bros" and other answers that aren't outright nos. Now consider my above proposal, and you can see how Stratton would be in a much better position to say "We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’"; a statement that looks like a deconfirmation at face value, but with just enough leeway to not be ousted as a full-blown lie if the Slayer does end up getting in.

Of course, given that there has already been a precedent set for individuals lying about fighter inclusions in Smash, this could all just be me talking out of my rear-end. Regardless, I still think it's something worth considering.
Yep, this is why I've not given up on him completely, just lowered my expectations. It is totally possible that Nintendo and Zeni are the only ones actually talking because, as we know, id is kinda busy ironing out D:E right now.

It could simply be that things have been structured so id can just focus on what they are doing before being approached to work with Sakurai.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It kinda would make sense for Nintendo to approach the parent company of iD as opposed to iD themselves. Kinda builds up the hype and adds a level of surprise, too.

Speaking of iD, there's something that's been gnawing at my mind lately. They said that Panic Button will work on Doom Eternal's Switch port after "finishing the game on [PS4, Xbox One and PC]". And I can't decide if whether by "finished" they mean when the game releases or when Doom Eternal goes gold. I hope it's the latter, that could really play well into the "not going to be a huge delay" part of that statement. You catch me?

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

Great theory! It certainly made me a little more optimistic, I'm still gonna keep my expectations lowered though. I'm done listening to leaks, so i'm gonna wait on Nintendo to officially announce something before I get hyped again(I probably should've learned that lesson a long time ago, but better late than never I suppose).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh! Seeing all those Doom Eternal gameplay videos had me think of an amazing idea for Doom Slayer's moveset:

Neutral B would be to fire an equipped weapon like normal (Of which can be swapped by holding A and flicking the joystick in the direction where the gun you want is. Think the Belmont's Sheik-Chain), however: if you manage to land a Glory Kill on an opponent, the equipped gun will temporarily use the Weapon Mod that it is associated with! For example, if you have the Heavy Cannon equipped when you score a Glory Kill, your Heavy Cannon will temporarily use the Micro Missiles. Or you temporarily can burn opponents like chicken nuggets with the Microwave Beam if you have the Plasma Rifle equipped! The possibilities could be endless in that regard! Granted, you'd have to deal a metric crapton of damage to the opponent to make them even prone to Glory Kills for the sake of balance, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
The Doom Eternal art book has already been leaked, some spoilers from it are being posted around the internet.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Guys, about CacoMallow, remember back in 2019, the footage itself about CacoMallow was recorded in November 2019? Same thing happened to Byleth, which was pre recorded in November 2019. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai said that making a fighter (and Mii Costumes/Hats) takes 6 months or so? It's possible that Doomguy may get revealed in May 2020, or June 2020. These are just speculations.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Guys, about CacoMallow, remember back in 2019, the footage itself about CacoMallow was recorded in November 2019? Same thing happened to Byleth, which was pre-recorded in November 2019. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Sakurai said that making a fighter (and Mii Costumes/Hats) takes 6 months or so? It's possible that Doomguy may get revealed in May 2020, or June 2020. These are just speculations.
Don't forget how fighter releases typically occur a month or two after they're announced, meaning that the next Smash fighter announcement might just happen just before or after the release of Doom Eternal...

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget how fighter releases typically occur a month or two after they're announced, meaning that the next Smash fighter announcement might just happen just before or after the release of Doom Eternal...
Who knows, though? Although, this is just a feeling, but my feelings are saying that Doomguy might be CP6. And the 6 fits him very well, because of the 666 motive.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, guys, I need some help.

I decided to play through No Rest For The Living on Doom II. I've reached the Tomb of Malevolence and I'm feeling more rage towards that level than the entire Warhammer 40K fanbase towards Matt Ward.

"Oh, yeah, let's give the player very little room where the literal Impocalypse is happening, with very dim lighting and a goddamn CYBERDEMON to add to the mix! How are they gonna defend themselves, you ask? Eh, just add a rocket launcher and loads of boxes of rockets so they're encouraged greatly to use it and it'll be fine!"

So yeah. I need advice. I have 40 Plasma Ammo, so enough for a single BFG Shot, max Bullets, 38 shells, max rockets, and the chainsaw.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
So, guys, I need some help.

I decided to play through No Rest For The Living on Doom II. I've reached the Tomb of Malevolence and I'm feeling more rage towards that level than the entire Warhammer 40K fanbase towards Matt Ward.

"Oh, yeah, let's give the player very little room where the literal Impocalypse is happening, with very dim lighting and a goddamn CYBERDEMON to add to the mix! How are they gonna defend themselves, you ask? Eh, just add a rocket launcher and loads of boxes of rockets so they're encouraged greatly to use it and it'll be fine!"

So yeah. I need advice. I have 40 Plasma Ammo, so enough for a single BFG Shot, max Bullets, 38 shells, max rockets, and the chainsaw.
I'm bad at giving advice for No Rest because I accidentally played through it with the Yoshikage Kira wad and HDoom mixed together I like blowing up thots
but the best advice I can usually give with that one is be a turbo coward and just hid away while lobbing rockets and such to kill everything. The cyberdemon is tricky so just shoot it until it dies.
Or just cheat, cheating works too.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613

This is such a good theory I'm keeping a screenshot of it! Id are the creators and owners of Doom, but they're not the only ones involved with the IP. Nintendo reaching out to Bethesda/Zenimax is as likely as them reaching out to Id for all we know. If we assume that's the case, Pete Hines acting as coy as he does and Marty Stratton going on over how they (Id) weren't approached in that interview makes perfect sense.

I've been fearing that costumes will be the best we'll get for Doom representation in Smash (though I'd take it because not only is Cacomallow 100% Unquestionably Real™, the costumes in that leak look genuinely amazing), but your little theory gives me just that much more hope I needed. Nicely thought out!

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I find it funny that people are saying that Doomguy fits in Mortal Kombat because of blood, but I hope they realize that he doesn't fit in Mortal Kombat, simply because he kills demons, not humans. Also, the second reason why he doesn't fit in Mortal Kombat is simply because it's a slow paced game, and DOOM is a fast paced shooter, I would argue that he fits in Smash Bros. simply because Smash can make his moveset and speed true to his character.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
I find it funny that people are saying that Doomguy fits in Mortal Kombat because of blood, but I hope they realize that he doesn't fit in Mortal Kombat, simply because he kills demons, not humans. Also, the second reason why he doesn't fit in Mortal Kombat is simply because it's a slow paced game, and DOOM is a fast paced shooter, I would argue that he fits in Smash Bros. simply because Smash can make his moveset and speed true to his character.
I agree. It's also worth noting that Doomguy is obviously heavily reliant on shooting projectiles, which is something that could be translated into Mortal Kombat's gameplay in some fashion, but it naturally lends itself much better to Smash's zany platform fighting style than your traditional fighter.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I agree. It's also worth noting that Doomguy is obviously heavily reliant on shooting projectiles, which is something that could be translated into Mortal Kombat's gameplay in some fashion, but it naturally lends itself much better to Smash's zany platform fighting style than your traditional fighter.
True. And besides, Doomguy would be a fast heavyweight in Smash. Hence the reason why he fits in Smash.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Smash would probably create a bigger impact with his inclusion than Mortal Kombat, because you know, gaming history and all.
I've seen the leaked concept art and i'm just going to say: There's a lot of good ideas that i hope aren't cut, even if saved for some future DLC expansion.
There's also gameplay footage of how some enemies play too.
I guess some people here will love this:
https://twitter.com/Mengo923/status/1228138580595396609
But i think this could get some attention too:
https://twitter.com/kinsie/status/1229366126699675649
Seriously, it feels like there's only few people or so that talk about how cool MetaDoom is.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Smash would probably create a bigger impact with his inclusion than Mortal Kombat, because you know, gaming history and all.
I've seen the leaked concept art and i'm just going to say: There's a lot of good ideas that i hope aren't cut, even if saved for some future DLC expansion.
There's also gameplay footage of how some enemies play too.
I guess some people here will love this:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
But i think this could get some attention too:
Seriously, it feels like there's only few people or so that talk about how cool MetaDoom is.
The fact that they included tunes from other games for their respective models is just amazing.

As is this:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

Alrighty. So on one hand, since Nintendo are once again calling the shots on this pass, it'll likely have a similar structure (though not order) to the previous pass. No doubt will we have an 8th gen Pokemon rep from Swood and Shelled, released roughly around the same time as one of the two expansions.

We're also extremely likely to see at least one highly requested fan favourite character included, alongside promotional picks for upcoming games.

That last point, to me at least, is probably the most likely category for our Doom Slayer to fall under. I mean, what better way to satiate Doom fans on the Switch around/after March 20th (as Doom Eternal on Switch will be released at a later date than other platforms) than to include the Doom Slayer as one of the Sinister Six?

Ofc, it's just as likely for Doom to end up getting shafted via a Spirit Event and/or a (Deluxe) Mii Costume, so here's hoping that this isn't the case.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
We ain't getting a Sword and Shield rep.
Because...?

You have to provide some degree of evidence if you want people to believe such bold statements.

And hey, as a person with little vested interest in the Pokemon franchise myself, I dislike the notion as any other individual who wishes for a different character.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
That's certainly a comfy price, and for less than 100 MB, I can't really complain. Other than they just shouldn't have delayed 64 with Eternal in the first place as it would've been the perfect thing to tide people over for Eternal instead of waiting all this time, thanks Bethesda.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Well, that’s something to tide Switch owners over, at least.

Dammit, I want Doom Eternal to go gold so Panic Button would get on the Switch port...
It's already gold. (Probably).
Doom Eternal can be bought on Steam and it's set to be unlocked on release date.
Not sure how it works, but they might add the download files at another time, maybe.

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Because...?

You have to provide some degree of evidence if you want people to believe such bold statements.

And hey, as a person with little vested interest in the Pokemon franchise myself, I dislike the notion as any other individual who wishes for a different character.
Its true.

They wouldn’t have done the Spirit event if we were getting a Pokemon. Especially since it happened in the same month Vol 2 was decided.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Its true.

They wouldn’t have done the Spirit event if we were getting a Pokemon. Especially since it happened in the same month Vol 2 was decided.
This doesn't address how:
  1. Most of these recent Pokemon fighters have been the third-stage evolutions of starter pokemon, of which the spirit event does not include (there's only a single spirit that has all 3 starters lumped together). This means that the most likely candidates - Inteleon, Cinderace and Rillaboom (the last of which whom my money is on since we haven't had a grass starter rep at all) - are still in the running.
  2. We still have the Sw/Shld expansions coming up, meaning that their signature pokemon - Kubfu/Urshifu or Calyrex (the former being my other prospective candidate besides Rillaboom) - would also make for likely FP candidates.
  3. The spirit event only included a handful of Sword/Shield pokemon, meaning that there'd still be plenty pokemon and other characters leftover to fill up a DLC board (even without taking the expansions into consideration).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
since we haven't had a grass starter rep at all
They're not gonna choose a Pokemon rep solely based on the lack of green particles in the reps' attacks. I can actually imagine different criteria for the next one like how just sticking with the newest batch of anthronime startermen doesn't appeal to the Go crowd.

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I think that, if we were to get a new Pokemon, it would be either Rillaboom or Ursifu (the new fighting bear legendary from the DLC).
Seems like those two are the most likely to be in Smash out of all of the gen 8 Pokemon to me.

I usually am 100% on board with spirit events deconfirming franchises (like I believe the Resident Evil ship has sailed), but Pokemon feels different. I can see us still getting a Pokemon despite having a spirit event for SwSh, especially if its a new Pokemon from the upcoming DLC.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
All the traction Doomguy and Isabelle has garnered together lately (as well as Doom/AC as a whole) tells me people on average actually like him, which dispels the notion that he only got popular in the scene due to initial leak rumors.

Malo Mart

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1387-2642-0613
The thing with the Sword and Shield Spirits too, is that not only did they leave out several other Pokemon that could easily be added as part of a Spirit Board (since there's like what, 80 new Pokemon in Gen 8, not even counting Galarian and Gigantamax forms?), but the ones that we *did* get aren't even serious contenders going by past precedent. Plus, I mean, with Byleth just coming out and with Nintendo's insistence on advertising Fire Emblem and Pokemon in Smash for some reason... yeah.

Still though, the fact that we even got a SWSH event at all makes me kinda iffy if we're getting a Gen 8 rep in FP2 or not. Why even bother giving those Spirits to us early if they could save them for the Spirit Board later, right?... ehhh I don't even know anymore.

All the traction Doomguy and Isabelle has garnered together lately (as well as Doom/AC as a whole) tells me people on average actually like him, which dispels the notion that he only got popular in the scene due to initial leak rumors.
Ay, I'm starting to sense that there's a surprisingly good amount of overlap between Smash/Nintendo fans and Doom fans really. Doomguy would've become completely irrelevant in Smash newcomer discussions/speculation long ago if that wasn't the case.

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
A bit related but I have this joke in my mind if Doomguy meets Galeem. Galeem would probably say this to Doomguy.
Galeem: “What you interfere with now, is bigger than you can imagine. It is written, it is their time (to the Smash Bros gang Galeem is referring to that Doomguy is trying to save) to give penance. If you continue, you will bring down the lights wrath.”

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
A bit related but I have this joke in my mind if Doomguy meets Galeem. Galeem would probably say this to Doomguy.
Galeem: “What you interfere with now, is bigger than you can imagine. It is written, it is their time (to the Smash Bros gang Galeem is referring to that Doomguy is trying to save) to give penance. If you continue, you will bring down the lights wrath.”
Given how that quote is from King Novik, the Sentinel King, it might be a quote better suited for Master Hand.

IMO, the Kahn Makyr's monologue would probably suit Galeem more:
For millennia I have survived. Made others sacrifice in the name of my prosperity. Who are you, a human, to defy my traditions?
And, just for laughs, I could imagine Kirby quoting the Betrayer:
I told you all to leave me here. I am where I belong... Saving the spirits will not bring you peace. Only make the burden you carry worse. And now you seek to defy Galeem himself? It is your fighters' time to give penance... Just as it was mine. Hear me, Slayer. When their hearts are laid to rest, then their souls will be at peace... and so will mine.
Speaking of which:
I'd slap him for being such a tease if the Slayer wasn't still in the running.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hey, question for those who have Doom 1/2/3 on Switch.

What is the purpose of the R button? (Not ZR).
Mine stopped working, but there are some sweet Doom deals right now, and I would love to buy at least one of them. But I want to make sure R isn’t the fire or activate button, or something that won’t let me progress.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I really wish there was some fan art of Doom Slayer fighting against Galeem and Dharkon, that would be very cool to see.

Top Bottom