• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Not looking to hard into it at all, they are really pushing November to be the month of DOOM. It's a bit odd.
November is also the release of Ken with a Hat, lmao.

Hmmmm...

Also, damn... Those Mii Fighter costumes are scary to watch... Sans got deconfirmed by that thing... We could end that way too... Tread carefully.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Doomguy's gotta be in one of these Fighter Packs. Also I'm pretty hyped to play DOOM 64 again after all these years.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
This second round of DLC was surely considered with recent demand in mind so things look a lot better. I just hope he doesn't end up as a Mii costume. If they just added an arrangement for E1M1 that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
ok so more fighters are coming and doom 64 comes out the same day doom eternal and also in november is when terry becomes playable in smash ultimate

and november is likely when will see the final character of pack 1

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Ummm... Can somebody find the announcement of Doom 64 in the Japanese Nintendo Direct?

I'm pretty sure Pete Hines wasn't speaking English, but the Direct narrator did...

I don't know, just weird...

Untouch

Smash Master
Ummm... Can somebody find the announcement of Doom 64 in the Japanese Nintendo Direct?

I'm pretty sure Pete Hines wasn't speaking English, but the Direct narrator did...

I don't know, just weird...
Doesn't look like it was in the Japan direct, the Japan direct had a bunch of different things in it. They cut out Deadly Premonition to Pokemon, the 3 games (Hi-Rez game, Divinity and DOOM).

Is the Doom 64 rerelease Switch-specific or is it multiplatform?
The original leak was for PC/PS4 too.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
November is also the release of Ken with a Hat, lmao.

Hmmmm...

Also, damn... Those Mii Fighter costumes are scary to watch... Sans got deconfirmed by that thing... We could end that way too... Tread carefully.
This. Doomguy Mii Gunner could very well still happen, which wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world, but y’know... At least we’re still in the running for the time being.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doesn't look like it was in the Japan direct, the Japan direct had a bunch of different things in it. They cut out Deadly Premonition to Pokemon, the 3 games (Hi-Rez game, Divinity and DOOM).
They cut out Doom, huh?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I messed a little bit with Banjo’s Breegull Blaster for a bit and that got me thinking of how this could be adapted into Doom Slayer’s potential moveset. Yes, the move fires at a set angle and the projectiles suffer from staling as you keep firing, but I feel the idea can be well-adapted, maybe even expanded upon, in Doom Slayer’s moveset.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So I messed a little bit with Banjo’s Breegull Blaster for a bit and that got me thinking of how this could be adapted into Doom Slayer’s potential moveset. Yes, the move fires at a set angle and the projectiles suffer from staling as you keep firing, but I feel the idea can be well-adapted, maybe even expanded upon, in Doom Slayer’s moveset.
Breegull Blaster is exactly how I envisioned the Slayer's Jab attacks to work, minus the projectile falloff.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They cut out Doom, huh?

Doomguy to Scorpion: You got room for one more?

What can be said really? Japan isn't big on major violence; nothing new there...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doomguy to Scorpion: You got room for one more?

What can be said really? Japan isn't big on major violence; nothing new there...
I'm aware, and frankly I'm not even sure if Doom 64 is releasing there. But one would think if Doom Slayer is to be added, Nintendo (or Bethesda) might find value in beginning to showcase games from his series over there. At least enough to stick it in the Direct for a few seconds.

The absence doesn't exactly instill a great deal of confidence in anyone bothering to engender recognition or endearment towards Doom among an audience you'd want to have more on board than they are now, should Smash be in the cards.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Normally, I avoid the idea of picking characters based on superficial characteristics, but I have my reason this time.
Since the Fighter's Pass was sold as a bundle, and every character so far is very different (a summoning character, a swordfighter, a platform mascot, and a traditional fighter), Doom Slayer could be chosen as a gun fighter to make those that bought the Fighter's Pass feel like they got variety with their purchase.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

PreludeOf1999

Smash Rookie
Normally, I avoid the idea of picking characters based on superficial characteristics, but I have my reason this time.
Since the Fighter's Pass was sold as a bundle, and every character so far is very different (a summoning character, a swordfighter, a platform mascot, and a traditional fighter), Doom Slayer could be chosen as a gun fighter to make those that bought the Fighter's Pass feel like they got variety with their purchase.
Just a thought.
Oooohhh, that's a great way in looking at it. Hope that's the case.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, forget like that subreddit. Now’s not the time for Doomguy’s support to collapse.

Look forward to more coming. Between 64 and Eternal, November really is the month of Doom.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

I wouldn’t go that far, but one can hope. Good to see some still optimistic for him regardless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still very concerned about Eternal hitting that release date on Switch. There's still been no footage of the Switch version, E3 pegged it as "coming soon" even though it already had a release date, and it was completely absent during this Direct even though it's ostensibly supposed to release in two months.

I mean they spoke about a Doom game, releasing on Switch, on November 22, and they don't want to talk about the other, bigger Doom game supposedly releasing on that day as well? The one that's a bigger investment and has been highly promoted? What's up with that?

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
I'm still very concerned about Eternal hitting that release date on Switch. There's still been no footage of the Switch version, E3 pegged it as "coming soon" even though it already had a release date, and it was completely absent during this Direct even though it's ostensibly supposed to release in two months.

I mean they spoke about a Doom game, releasing on Switch, on November 22, and they don't want to talk about the other, bigger Doom game supposedly releasing on that day as well? The one that's a bigger investment and has been highly promoted? What's up with that?
Patience, we still have 2 months for them to reveal more stuff! Who knows? It could be tomorrow, or in a week.

Give them some more time, they still need two months to wrap things up...

Unless... They are at full workload with those two releases AND doing works for Smash Bros. inclusion? They've been silent until that Doom 64 reveal.

I am also wondering how working on a character for Smash work... Do they need a representative go there and instruct them ideas or they make moves for the character and see the source material for imagination, just needing the greenlight for that character's inclusion?

Pretty sure absolutely no one knows the process, lol.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
What if the Cyberdemon, if he ever shows up, had his Doom 64 design?
It's pretty much a slighty different take on his original design but with more Nintendo relevance.
Maybe even slighty change it to resemble the 2016/Eternal Cyberdemons like the blade on the hand or some tech parts.
Speaking of leaks, some people tried to do some for them for Doom Eternal and they turned out to be fake, with the most believed one being shot down by Hugo Martin himself.
I still hope the Tyrant Cyberdemon really isn't a UAC experiment with human DNA because to me, Hell should be an independent force that exists to be evil and destructive until Doomguy shows up and keeps fighting them.
Some things about the new lore is a bit.... meh.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Speaking of leaks, some people tried to do some for them for Doom Eternal and they turned out to be fake, with the most believed one being shot down by Hugo Martin himself.
Are you talking about...
the one that mentions Crash and Phobos from Quake 3 being in the story and it being called Doom Eternal because Slayer is stuck in an eternal time loop?

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah that one.
That’s a shame.

Though, the idea of Crash and Phobos in Doom lore seems appealing, as they’re three Doom-related characters to choose from when it came to Q3 lore. Maybe either one could be an Echo Fighter?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

I wouldn’t go that far, but one can hope. Good to see some still optimistic for him regardless.
I have the same theory I understanf

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
I have the same theory I understanf
There probably won't be a Nintendo direct in November, but that doesn't mean that there can't be a Smash direct in November. Or they could just announce fighter #5 after Terry's presentation. If #5 really is Doomguy then I definitely feel like revealing him in November just makes too much sense honestly.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
There probably won't be a Nintendo direct in November, but that doesn't mean that there can't be a Smash direct in November. Or they could just announce fighter #5 after Terry's presentation. If #5 really is Doomguy then I definitely feel like revealing him in November just makes too much sense honestly.
Makes sense... Maybe including a Sakurai gameplay, because having absolutely no gameplay for Terry is already downplaying the character even further, lol. It would be the final insult to show Sans gameplay instead of Terry, lmao.

Could be standalone or with a Direct. There are a couple of Nintendo Directs that ended up being broadcasted in mid-November or earlier.

It's lining up super well for our Hell Walker, and I am surprised the leakers aren't picking it up on that... Maybe because of what a high risky roll Doom Slayer could be, since the guy has plenty of things that would say "nope, can't be in", but they are broken now, and he is all but confirmed now.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
since the guy has plenty of things that would say "nope, can't be in", but they are broken now, and he is all but confirmed now.
He's still got plenty of things going against him, so you might want to temper your expectations just in case he's not in. After getting my hopes up alot from so many fake leaks, I find it hard to remain too confident. I do think he's got a good chance at being #5, but that's all it is; a chance.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
That’s a shame.

Though, the idea of Crash and Phobos in Doom lore seems appealing, as they’re three Doom-related characters to choose from when it came to Q3 lore. Maybe either one could be an Echo Fighter?
Honestly, I'd prefer B.J. Blazkowics or Ranger as echo fighters.

On a different note, we've got a grand slam of hypocrisy here, as Alax dismisses Doom Slayer for realistic violence yet greenlights Kratos of all characters:

Doubt continues to hold the judgement of these individuals... which will make the shocking revelation all the more savoury to bask in.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I'm very convinced Doom Slayer will be DLC fighter 5. Terry's coming out in November and which should be around the time when DLC fighter 5 gets revealed and guess what also comes out at that time.

Doom Eternal.

Perfect timing if Doom Slayer is to be next. I can also still see him being revealed at the VGA as that's only a few weeks after Doom Eternal comes out.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'd prefer B.J. Blazkowics or Ranger as echo fighters.

On a different note, we've got a grand slam of hypocrisy here, as Alax dismisses Doom Slayer for realistic violence yet greenlights Kratos of all characters:

Doubt continues to hold the judgement of these individuals... which will make the shocking revelation all the more savoury to bask in.
I like Alax and his content, but his stance on Doomguy is uh, interesting...
"Doomguy can't be in Smash because he uses real guns, and is too violent"(He didn't outright say this, but that's what he HEAVILY implied). Even though his most wanted(Joker)has a move called "gun" and it looks and behaves like a real pistol, even though it's technically not. It still LOOKS like one, so that's all that really matters in the end. After he dismissed Doomguy for being too violent, He immediately said Scorpion from Mortal Kombat has a better chance then most people think, a character whose series whole gimmick is blood, guts, gore, and violence.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah I dont agree with the too violent aspect, especially saying Scorpion is likely right after dismissing Doom. Joker had blood censored, and no , im not saying give Doomguy sparkles and stars instead of blood, but you can clearly get away with a gun and a muzzleflash in Smash Bros, which would be all Doomguy needs. And if they really wanted to, they could use the modern designs of the weapons, all of which are way more sci-fi then realistic. Don't tell me you can find the 2016 pistol or eternal hook shotgun at your local sporting goods store.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah I dont agree with the too violent aspect, especially saying Scorpion is likely right after dismissing Doom. Joker had blood censored, and no , im not saying give Doomguy sparkles and stars instead of blood, but you can clearly get away with a gun and a muzzleflash in Smash Bros, which would be all Doomguy needs. And if they really wanted to, they could use the modern designs of the weapons, all of which are way more sci-fi then realistic. Don't tell me you can find the 2016 pistol or eternal hook shotgun at your local sporting goods store.
Not to mention you could give Doom Slayer’s melee attacks a satisfying bone-crunching sound to it to add to that sense of brutality. You can just hear that kind of sound in Ridley’s Down Taunt, so I’m sure they can use that for Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
So you're tellin me that someone spurned Doomguy for being violent and pitched KRATOS? Mr. Gory Finishers on Giant Murder****ers himself?

Also, it's funny how people think Doom's entire gimmick is gore and then wave around Scorpion, knowing damn well that's literally Mortal Kombat's whole gimmick.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It may sound dumb as hell; but I think Doomguy is possible cause he's violent against Demons. I can see that as a justification like "well..... joker's gun isnt a REAL gun so it's totally fine. It's just a mind gun"

"This is just doom guy's double barrel shot gun for DEMONS"

Last edited:

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
It may sound dumb as hell; but I think Doomguy is possible cause he's violent against Demons. I can see that as a justification like "well..... joker's gun isnt a REAL gun so it's totally find. It's just a mind gun"

"This is just doom guy's double barrel shot gun for DEMONS"
I am pretty sure Smash fans will say that Doomguy's guns are Sci-Fi. Same way they said that Bayo's guns are magical and fantasy based.

Top Bottom