• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Untouch

Smash Master
Oh, boy... This is not good...

I know you folks want Doom Slayer and I do as well, but given the fact there are plenty of adversaries out there that might be out-voting us in the Smash Ballot, I'm not so sure anymore...

According to Challenger Pack 4, it displays SNK, which would be Fatal Fury/Metal Slug/King of Fighters/etc.

The Challenger Pack 5 displays absolutely no Bethesda/Zenimax rep... This could mean the next Rep is already being displayed in the copyright...

You know... For Nintendo standards? This is just too ****ing horribly handled, upsetting many who wanted their dream chars (Specially those who have no idea what SNK is), and are now being thrown flak for being (understandably) upset over this choice... I am ****ing upset... I know the chars as I live in Latin America, but I never requested them.

If this was leaked on purpose, I guess it was just for the Smash community and their wish chars to be put out of their misery. If not, someone is gonna get fired for NDA breach... Assuming the char has to be revealed in the Direct first before starting to talk.

Gosh... What a depressing time-line...
Page 5 is a placeholder, Banjo just has Microsoft/Rare, Joker just has SEGA/Atlus, Hero just has Square Enix.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Oh, boy... This is not good...

I know you folks want Doom Slayer and I do as well, but given the fact there are plenty of adversaries out there that might be out-voting us in the Smash Ballot, I'm not so sure anymore...

According to Challenger Pack 4, it displays SNK, which would be Fatal Fury/Metal Slug/King of Fighters/etc.

The Challenger Pack 5 displays absolutely no Bethesda/Zenimax rep... This could mean the next Rep is already being displayed in the copyright...
I think that is just because the PR people that run the NOE website dont know who fighter 5 is and decided to use that as a placeholder. They obviously know fighter 4, and this is because they are 99% getting ready for a new Nintendo Direct that will announce fighter #4. Remember, these web pages didnt mention Square, Microsoft and SNK until their characters were announced (The SNK case is an exception since it leaked early). Fighter 5 could be from Nintendo, but as of now its not any more likely than it being 3rd party.
tldr- The people running NOEs website dont know who character 5 is because they dont need to know until shortly before character 5 will be revealed, so the possibilities are still endless.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Page 5 is a placeholder, Banjo just has Microsoft/Rare, Joker just has SEGA/Atlus, Hero just has Square Enix.
Is it safe to divulge the copyright of the fighter's rep? It would have been more prudent to add the Challenger Pack info AFTER the Direct trailer.

Not like this, lol. Assuming they are adding Eastern, then Western char in that order... Reimu, Geno and any other Eastern Rep is doomed.

By the way, the SNK leak was deleted, but pretty much everyone and their mother knows who's the upcoming fighter, lmao too late.

Unless it was a mistake with SNK Gals as some said?

Untouch

Smash Master
I can't say for 100% certain as the page isn't archived, but I believe #4 was like #5 was until today when it was updated.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If the WOL 16 slots datamine means we're getting more DLC in the future and Doom Guy does not show up in this fighters pass, we've still got 10 more slots to go before we call it quits. It's not over until Sakurai says it's over.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wouldn't get my hopes up, especially to that level. But yeah, if the thing with Terry is true, then I can see him getting in over Doomguy as one of the final characters for the pass, despite the Doomslayer being my #1 choice at this point. Generosity towards Western characters for Smash only goes so far, even with Banjo's inclusion.

Not that it's over yet, but we'll see what happens.

Untouch

Smash Master
https://www.dualshockers.com/snk-in...-gender-bent-terry-rebooting-old-series-much/

Of course, I also asked about the possibility of an SNK character in Smash Bros. The answer was not unexpected: “I’d love that, please Nintendo-san!”
Just more fuel for the "NDA arguments don't really matter" fire, even though it was the same as Kirkhope, not denying or confirming that a character is in, just saying they'd love a character in, like someone else who was interviewed recently...

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
"NDA arguments don't really matter"
Soooo, no one was fired over this? I thought copyrights were changed as soon as the fighter in question was revealed. But THIS soon? Before the reveal?

Would Nintendo do something like this intentionally to hype people more?

Welp... It's just a matter of time now, hoping it was all a mistake, but eh...

Generosity towards Western characters for Smash only goes so far.
I thought the order of chars were "Western-Eastern-Western-Eastern", etc. But I am making **** up here, lol.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I still think Doom Slayer is the most likely DLC #5. Ryu Hayabusa is still very possible (and still someone I very much support and would like), but I don't believe that 4chan leak at all. Continuing off of Simon's trailer? That honestly makes no sense to me.

If it's no though, that's okay. I got Joker and Banjo & Kazooie, who were also among my most wanted alongside Doom Slayer. Hero and Terry are pretty cool too. So I really shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well unfortunately it doesn't look like Doom Guy will be joining this fighters pass. It seems that Ryu Hayabusa is being heard more with insiders so he may very well be our final pick.

On the bright side we still have the 16 WOL slots so it could be our best bet for more DLC down the line and more chances for Doom Guy to appear eventually.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's unfortunate when in hindsight, Hayabusa and Doomguy appeared to be a packaged deal for awhile, far as longstanding previous leaks/rumors anyway. The OG ninja will be a worthy addition nonetheless, but still.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Still holding out hope, but Ryu Hayabusa's a good pick and I've been a Terry Bogard fan since Fatal Fury, so I'm happy with those two. As others have said, there's still a chance we get more DLC down the road, and if that's the case, let's keep advocating for Doom Guy.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Even if Doomguy doesnt get in, the time we spent supportimg him gives him a good jumping point for the future of Smash. Hes a character people will talk aboit for a long time, especially now that Bthesda is chummy with Nintendo.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't exactly look good for our boy right now, but it's not over until it's over. I'm still gonna hope for the best, and expect the worst! Terry and Ryu are great picks, so if Doomguy's not in, and it's true that those are the last two characters we're getting. Then at least he didn't get shafted for some Fire Emblem characters or something like that.

Last edited:

Smashhacker

Smash Rookie
Doesn't Sabi's tweets imply that people would assume Ryu Hayabusa would be the 5th dlc character and then turn out to not be that? There's still hope for Doomguy to make it in if that's the case.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Doomguy should be the first, but i still think others should follow in his wake. We have 3 jrpg characters :ultcloud::ultjoker::ulthero: and 3 platformer characters :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:, so I think 2 more fps characters after Doomguy is perfectly reasonable, but not all in one game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
If pack 5 is Ryu Hayabusa based on rumors doom slayer is toast

However...

Remember the amiibo theory

They are in sets of three and based on who’s left hero banjo and the SNK character (terry) on April 2020

But the next pack after there’s only 1 character left and it’s character 5 and potentially 2 mystery characters for June 2020

So that’s how there’s still hope even if ryu revealed there may actually be hiding two more bonus characters

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Doomguy should be the first, but i still think others should follow in his wake. We have 3 jrpg characters :ultcloud::ultjoker::ulthero: and 3 platformer characters :ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultbanjokazooie:, so I think 2 more fps characters after Doomguy is perfectly reasonable, but not all in one game.
As a Mario fan, i'm offended you left out :ultmario: lol. Unless you were only listing third party characters, then my bad. I would also like other FPS characters to get in after Doomguy as well, particularly Gordon Freeman or Master Chief(or even both).

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Alright doomers and doomettes, here is the low down of what we are dealing with right now.

EDfUmqfXYAQT3oF.jpg

This 4chan leak is being backed up by Sabi, saying people will go back to this leak and it will blow up in speculation as to who fighter number 5 will be.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

However Sabi claims she has no idea if Ryu Hayabusa is fighter 5 of the fighters pass and there has been some confusion as to whether Ryu Hayabusa will be in Smash Ultimate due to this tweet from PlayStation.

If this leak is legit, we will be seeing Terry Bogard in the same wrestling arena as Ken and Incineroar as part of a trailer sequel, most likely in the Nintendo direct tomorrow.

So keep your eyes out for the boxing ring with Terry beating up Incineroar as if this does not happen, this leak may not be true at all and Doom Guy may still have a chance of being in this fighters pass.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Alright doomers and doomettes, here is the low down of what we are dealing with right now.

This 4chan leak is being backed up by Sabi, saying people will go back to this leak and it will blow up in speculation as to who fighter number 5 will be.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

However Sabi claims she has no idea if Ryu Hayabusa is fighter 5 of the fighters pass and there has been some confusion as to whether Ryu Hayabusa will be in Smash Ultimate due to this tweet from PlayStation.

If this leak is legit, we will be seeing Terry Bogard in the same wrestling arena as Ken and Incineroar as part of a trailer sequel, most likely in the Nintendo direct tomorrow.

So keep your eyes out for the boxing ring with Terry beating up Incineroar as if this does not happen, this leak may not be true at all and Doom Guy may still have a chance of being in this fighters pass.
Yep

But a huge problem with the eastern monsters part

While Japanese culture

Ryu games involve him fighting humans and demons ryu does;’t fight

djinn’s
Falak’s
Nesnas’s
Chinese ghost’s
Efrit’s
Werehyena’s
Al anqa’a
Al bahmout
Al rukh

Ryu’s games does;’t involving fighting monsters like this

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I've already accepted that he's not getting in, even with the hopes and thinking about why he should get in, the representation and how much you can do with it etc.
Doomguy feels like he's in some unique position because he has both a lot for him and a lot against him.
There was some odd balance for him that may not really change, if he gets in or not.
But it feels like most of the barriers being broken were coincidences, luck or rare exceptions, some with explenations for them.
I can also see how Bethesda could mess with his inclusion.
Like, Doom 3 stuff being specifically the BFG edition, no Doom 64, some historical revisionism (Both accidental and intentional), some forced Doot joke somewhere, no Bobby Prince songs etc.
Doom fanservice nowadays is honestly hit or miss, and you know something's wrong when whoever made the trailer for the crap ports couldn't tell a difference between Doom 1 and 2 https://twitter.com/SlappyCromwell/status/1154891498510589953 while most fans could recognize most levels.
Fans also came up with a lot of good stuff and wouldn't screw a Switch port like this.
They even had their E3 conference staring a dude claiming credit for the creation of first person shooters.
I think in some away, i prefer Doomguy not getting in, than getting in but with some monkey's paw type of problems.

Regardless, Doom will always be a special series, whether or not it's even in Smash and there will always be franchises and characters that deserve a spot more than Doomguy.
Ryu Hayabusa and anything from SNK are honestly good inclusions with lots of potential and unlike Dovahkiin or another FPS rep, they don't feel like they're stealing Doomguy's potential, because they offer special and more specific legacies on their own.
I think a problem with Smash is that, for a series that celebrates gaming history, some people treat it as a replacement for actually learning or investing into video game history.
Which is why some people feel alienated with characters they personally never cared about getting in, but some also want the additions of characters that might as well be more obscure in comparison (Because they believe automatically being a Smash fighter makes your character important and not their history outside Smash).
The same can be said about how some characters are represented in terms of design, moveset and other details, because they're never always that accurate to their source material.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I've already accepted that he's not getting in, even with the hopes and thinking about why he should get in, the representation and how much you can do with it etc.
Doomguy feels like he's in some unique position because he has both a lot for him and a lot against him.
There was some odd balance for him that may not really change, if he gets in or not.
But it feels like most of the barriers being broken were coincidences, luck or rare exceptions, some with explenations for them.
I can also see how Bethesda could mess with his inclusion.
Like, Doom 3 stuff being specifically the BFG edition, no Doom 64, some historical revisionism (Both accidental and intentional), some forced Doot joke somewhere, no Bobby Prince songs etc.
Doom fanservice nowadays is honestly hit or miss, and you know something's wrong when whoever made the trailer for the crap ports couldn't tell a difference between Doom 1 and 2 https://twitter.com/SlappyCromwell/status/1154891498510589953 while most fans could recognize most levels.
Fans also came up with a lot of good stuff and wouldn't screw a Switch port like this.
They even had their E3 conference staring a dude claiming credit for the creation of first person shooters.
I think in some away, i prefer Doomguy not getting in, than getting in but with some monkey's paw type of problems.

Regardless, Doom will always be a special series, whether or not it's even in Smash and there will always be franchises and characters that deserve a spot more than Doomguy.
Ryu Hayabusa and anything from SNK are honestly good inclusions with lots of potential and unlike Dovahkiin or another FPS rep, they don't feel like they're stealing Doomguy's potential, because they offer special and more specific legacies on their own.
I think a problem with Smash is that, for a series that celebrates gaming history, some people treat it as a replacement for actually learning or investing into video game history.
Which is why some people feel alienated with characters they personally never cared about getting in, but some also want the additions of characters that might as well be more obscure in comparison (Because they believe automatically being a Smash fighter makes your character important and not their history outside Smash).
The same can be said about how some characters are represented in terms of design, moveset and other details, because they're never always that accurate to their source material.
I still think there's a very good chance. I really don't believe that 4chan leak. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Ryu Hayabusa's trailer to continue off of Simon's, nor does it make sense for the poster to know all that he did.

Fighter Pass.jpg

I still think Doom Slayer will be newcomer #5. However, Ryu Hayabusa is still the next most likely character regardless of any potential leaks.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
On the bright side, us Doom fans still have Doom Eternal to look forward to. And with as big of a push its getting from Bethesda, its easy to see that Doom wont be going anywhere any time soon (unless Todd has them rush the next game, make it focus on multiplayer instead of single player, and shell out plasma gun skins for $1.99 each, not unlike a different series Bethesda royally butt****ed, but I think with Id involved were in good hands)

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think Terry's trailer is gonna go that way in the direct, Incineroar isn't really related to Terry at all while Ken is (they've been rivals in crossovers before), if he fights anyone it'll probably only be Ken.
I feel it'll be a reference to the KoF94 opening.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I don't think Terry's trailer is gonna go that way in the direct, Incineroar isn't really related to Terry at all while Ken is (they've been rivals in crossovers before), if he fights anyone it'll probably only be Ken.
I feel it'll be a reference to the KoF94 opening.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.
It really doesn't make sense for Ryu's trailer to be a sequel to Simon's. Though the way the leak suggests it kind of makes sense. Regardless, Terry's being a sequel to Ken/Incineroar's trailer makes a lot more sense to me.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I think we need to clear up something here regarding the ownership of Doomguy/Doom Slayer.

Despite having his games published under their name, he never was and never will be a Bethesda character.

He, alongside B.J. Blazkowics, Ranger and their constituents, are Id Software characters. And no company/IP buyout will ever change that fact.

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
Last stand for us, guys.

Hoping for either Doom Slayer's announcement right now, or for a Fighter's Pass 2.

It was a pleasure to support Doom Slayer until the end. (Even if I'm new, I was in other places showing my support).

Untouch

Smash Master
And the leak is fake.
And season 2 is confirmed.

(and I was right, trailer was KoF 94 reference)

And here's DOOM64.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Doom 64 is coming to the Switch guys. Final Doom and No Rest For The Living are the only official Doom releases that are not playable on the Switch, or any Nintendo console for that matter.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
WHEW! My dream of both Shantae and Doomguy in Smash is still preserved!

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Funny how Doom 64 is releasing the same day as Doom Eternal

Does it mean something, or am I looking too hard into this?

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Funny how Doom 64 is releasing the same day as Doom Eternal

Does it mean something, or am I looking too hard into this?
Not looking to hard into it at all, they are really pushing November to be the month of DOOM. It's a bit odd.

Top Bottom