• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I have vague memories of watching somebody else play the original Doom game when I was very young. The game was in first person, and the gun was held at the centre of the screen.

The alleged leak of a Doom character being one of the final two characters compelled me to research the series. I recently watched some gameplay videos of the latest Doom game in the main series--and I dare say, it looks pretty well-made. Typically, I'm not into first person shooters, but I can honestly see mineself making an exception for this game. It's gory, but in a stylish way.

As usual, as long as the character brings something new and unique to the table, I'd say they more than qualify. If they could make Solid Snake work, then they can definitely make the Doom character work. Given the upcoming release of the next Doom game on Switch, I actually find this alleged leak plausible. At any rate, we shall see.

Don't a lot of leaks use Doom Guy? He'a a plausible character but is also very common as leak bait unfortunately.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
One thing that’s usually never brought up that we might have to consider, is Doomguy may have not done that well in the Smash ballot, since it was before Doom’s 2nd reboot in 2016 iirc... I forget when exactly he started becoming a more popular idea for Smash, but I don’t remember seeing him namedropped much in the Smash scene before the current era of Ultimate DLC.

And I say that as someone who really really wants him.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
One thing that’s usually never brought up that we might have to consider, is Doomguy may have not done that well in the Smash ballot, since it was before Doom’s 2nd reboot in 2016 iirc... I forget when exactly he started becoming a more popular idea for Smash, but I don’t remember seeing him namedropped much in the Smash scene before the current era of Ultimate DLC.

I think the idea of Doom Slayer in Smash started getting more popular the moment DOOM 2016 was announced for Nintendo Switch. As for the Ballot, there were a few in here that I don’t feel were selected from there, like Incineroar or Isabelle.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

He undoubtably didn't do well on the ballot. DOOM was still on ice during that time, the 2016 game wasn't out. There hadn't been a mainline title for like a decade, and the series hadn't had much going on for Nintendo outside the rare port since Doom 64. Like GolisoPower said, people didn't start caring until the port, and then didn't really start until that interview with Hines.

But the ballot isn't how all the characters got included this time anyway. In fact there are probably more characters that got in unrelated to the ballot than those that can tie their addition to it. I mean, Joker hadn't even had a single release. Incineroar wasn't even known. I don't think anyone is predicating their predictions for Doom Slayer on his ballot performance. Tbh most of the plausible remaining third-parties came to prominence post-ballot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
there were a few in here that I don’t feel were selected from there, like Incineroar or Isabelle.
Isabelle could've gotten a good chunk of votes outside of this community. Incineroar wouldn't have even if it existed at the time of the ballot.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Isabelle could've gotten a good chunk of votes outside of this community. Incineroar wouldn't have even if it existed at the time of the ballot.
True.

I know that Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were super popular with the ballot, but I wasn’t sure that Simon had many votes, let alone Richter, who I’d never even heard about until he was announced.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
True.

I know that Inkling, Ridley, King K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie were super popular with the ballot, but I wasn’t sure that Simon had many votes, let alone Richter, who I’d never even heard about until he was announced.
Richter probably had enough votes. He is the most popular castlevania protagonist in Japan and Simon is the most popular in America and Isabel probably had enough votes in Japan. She is very popular to the point of being first in many polls.

How likely do you think it is that doomguy is one of the dlc. And that you think of the argument against which it is usually given that its games are too violent and bloody

Untouch

Smash Master
Joker LITERALLY did not exist when the ballot was held, neither did the Luminary, ballot was probably used for base roster but not DLC.
I don't even think Banjo was picked solely because of the ballot, but instead to strengthen third party relations with Microsoft. (Maybe some choices were given but they decided to go with Banjo due to fan demand).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Joker LITERALLY did not exist when the ballot was held, neither did the Luminary, ballot was probably used for base roster but not DLC.
I don't even think Banjo was picked solely because of the ballot, but instead to strengthen third party relations with Microsoft. (Maybe some choices were given but they decided to go with Banjo due to fan demand).
Luminary might not have existed, but there was likely a decent amount of demand for Dragon Quest characters, at least in Japan. I'm guessing that at least played a role in why Hero got so many distinct alternate costumes.

SKX31

Smash Master
Banjo's probably the easiest out of the three main Microsoft characters to justify too - now Nintendo can go for Steve / Master Chief in the future without risking some loud backlash. Banjo's the least known out of the three, but anyone with loads of emotional investment (aka. a hardcore fan) given a lure (Spencer's initial Smash tweet) will cling onto it out of hope.

Luminary might not have existed, but there was likely a decent amount of demand for Dragon Quest characters, at least in Japan. I'm guessing that at least played a role in why Hero got so many distinct alternate costumes.
That's very much it, and DQ was built around a Goku / Monkey King-esque hero with a different theme and supporting cast each game. III* and IV are outright considered top-rated classics. Sakurai commented that Eight was a fan-request from western DQ fans (VIII also happens to be the best selling game on the PS2 in Japan. Making Eight another PlayStation character in Smash.) Luminary / Eleven is not only promotional - XI did really well on both the 3DS and PS4.

How likely do you think it is that doomguy is one of the dlc. And that you think of the argument against which it is usually given that its games are too violent and bloody
Pretty likely, actually. I won't say a guarantee, but all things considered I do believe Doomguy has a good shot. Also would be a major boon getting the first truly succesful FPS character into Smash.

*(DQ III had an (in)famous launch back in 1988, with 300 school kids arrested for truancy. ABC also briefly covered the massive launch as part of their 1988 special on games.)

Last edited:

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
I feel like doomguy exists in this weird "everyones p much assuming hes in" area that ken was in during pre release

There wasnt any info really but everyone assumed he was in

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
The Fighters Pass DLC is not necessarily a fan poll pick. It's also a Nintendo pick. And they said something along the lines of it comprises of characters you wouldn't normally expect to be in. Doom Slayer fits the bill perfectly.

Untouch

Smash Master
Never actually confirmed, but there were rumours of Nintendo asking for a HL game for Switch, but the project got cancelled.
I think they'd go for Gordon over Heavy anyways.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Never actually confirmed, but there were rumours of Nintendo asking for a HL game for Switch, but the project got cancelled.
I think they'd go for Gordon over Heavy anyways.
Gordon is way more iconic and important to video games. Heavy fits way better into Smash Bros' aesthetic however, which is why I feel he's gaining some more support these days, well that and the love/nostalgia for TF2. I agree that they would pick Gordon over Heavy as well though, simply because Half-Life is just WAY more important of a series than Team Fortress is. Plus characters aren't chosen off of how they look or of how they fit into Smash, just go and take a look at Snake. If we're going off of who's arguably the most important to the FPS genre though, then that would be Doomguy hands down in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Unfortunately, when I try to post an image, it says the server is having an error, so I'll just describe the image I tried to post.

I was just browsing a Facebook group where there was an image that said, "Look, we already know Doom Slayer is the next DLC fighter, and he's gonna be broken as ****."
I said that he would have Glory Kills that guarantee a KO at 0% to add to the joke.

But the bigger point is that it seems now that EVERYONE is expecting Doom Slayer almost to the degree that people expected Erdrick.
While logically this is meaningless, it sure feels good to know that people are on board.
Doom Slayer is not only an awesome character, but as a LEGACY character, he fits the bill. Doom was the game that popularized FPSs AND PC gaming. In that sense, he's like Mario or Pac-Man in terms of importance to gaming as a whole.

Also, you guys will probably like the new AVGN video. Chex cereal literally gave away a Doom mod in their cereal boxes back in the 90s, and it DOESN'T SUCK!
https://youtu.be/Vg0y9i5E7nY
And because this uses the original Doom wad, you can play actual Doom with Chex Man!

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Thought's on this?:

Personally, I can't see this as anything other than theory-baiting by catering to popular opinions

Few other things to note
  • Source is a 4chan post; immediate scepticism in that department
  • Indeterminate date for the Direct; gives the poster a layer of deniability
  • Rare replay is mentioned, but no divulging of additional info about Banjo-Kazooie as Smash fighters
  • Inclusion of popular speculations/theories, including;
    • Isle Delfino DLC for Oddysee
    • Mario 64 style DLC for Mario Maker 2
    • Slayer's trailer being a continuation of Ridley's
  • Timing doesn't line up with a post-Eternal fighter launch; if true, perhaps a concurrent launch with Eternal?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, Blocked Content is clickbait who goes over every little rumor he can find, and was one of the detractors before who argued Doomguy would be too violent for Smash. :rolleyes:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, Blocked Content is clickbait who goes over every little rumor he can find, and was one of the detractors before who argued Doomguy would be too violent for Smash. :rolleyes:
I mean, he ain't LaxChris, that's one of the only good things about him. Also, his voice-over content is pretty good. I mean, have you listened to his fan-made Snake Codecs?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The Snake codecs was one thing I liked about him initially, but he kinda stopped doing them when he got in the Smash DLC speculation/rumor mills. Most of said codecs were also too long and meta compared to how the real thing would’ve been done.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I mean, he ain't LaxChris, that's one of the only good things about him. Also, his voice-over content is pretty good. I mean, have you listened to his fan-made Snake Codecs?
He’s worse than LaxChris because he has potential to make good content but doesnt. He built up a fan base making snake codecs and animations and then stopped just to make easy revenue from leak videos.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I severely doubt this Blocked Content leak for several reasons.
1. If we get Mario Odyssey DLC this late, it'll be much more than just one new kingdom.
2. Hand of Heaven is unlikely as a Zelda name due to the inherently religious nature of the term "Heaven".
3. Though I am 90% sure Doom Slayer is in, I highly doubt the trailer sequel theory. Banjo was a special case, and Hero's trailer was not a sequel to anything.

A September Direct is likely, but this supposed leak is bull****.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And now Overwatch’s Tracer has joined the rumor mill with the potential OW Switch port leak. The thought of getting her over Doomguy is well... something to stomach.

-Tracer gets in after Overwatch gets ported to Switch-
-Doom already has almost its entire library on Switch at this point-
Doomguy: Am I a joke to you?

It’ll be interesting to see what happens (or doesn’t happen), regardless.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
And now Overwatch’s Tracer has joined the rumor mill with the potential OW Switch port leak. The thought of getting her over Doomguy is well... something to stomach.

I think it’d be interesting to see Tracer in Smash, but honestly? If anyone from Blizzard should get in first, I think it should be Diablo.

His games are basically some of the most recognizable dungeon crawlers in the industry and with Diablo III on Switch, that qualifies him as a character.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If Tracer gets in over Doomguy as our FPS character, I’m done.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice

If Tracer is the first FPS rep in Smash Bros than that is a huge slap in the face honestly. If she's getting in Smash it should be after a far more deserving character from the FPS genre gets in: like Doomguy, Master Chief, or even Gordon Freeman. She definitely shouldn't be THE FIRST.

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I truly don't understand this scene at all. I think we've all gone crazy.

*literally every major doom game gets ported to switch with eternal still upcoming*
"just because Doom's on Switch doesn't mean Doomguy is in Smash"

*overwatch case*
Dpqc8XuWwAAWi3j.jpg large.jpg
"TRACER'S IN BOYS"

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I truly don't understand this scene at all. I think we've all gone crazy.

*literally every major doom game gets ported to switch with eternal still upcoming*
"just because Doom's on Switch doesn't mean Doomguy is in Smash"

*overwatch case*
View attachment 235768
"TRACER'S IN BOYS"
Gotta love the hypocrisy of the Smash fanbase. :^)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
We got a classic JRPG rep and a modern one. We can have a classic FPS rep and a modern one.

ZoroCarlos

Smash Lord
Didn't Blizzard say that if presented with the opportunity to put a character in Smash it'd be Diablo, not Tracer? The only way it'd be Tracer is if Nintendo really begged for it, which doesn't feel like something they would do.

Edit: NGL though, Doom Slayer and Diablo as a double reveal would be the sickest thing.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Didn't Blizzard say that if presented with the opportunity to put a character in Smash it'd be Diablo, not Tracer? The only way it'd be Tracer is if Nintendo really begged for it, which doesn't feel like something they would do.

Edit: NGL though, Doom Slayer and Diablo as a double reveal would be the sickest thing.
I know, right?

If we get a demon killer in Smash, we’d need a demon for him to kill. That kind of reveal would be the best!

Top Bottom