• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I found this in light of Joker being in Smash Bros...

One by one, all arguments against Doom Slayer are falling...there will be no feasible reason for him not to be in Smash...

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
From what I've gathered, across all platforms, it sold about 0.05m in Japan. So, 50 million. Pretty bad, honestly.
Not sure, though there is this article to consider: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_in_Japan
So pretty much the equivalent of Visual Novels in the west. A dedicated niche community exists but is almost completely obscure in mainstream presence. A tough hurdle I'll admit, the single biggest obstacle in Doom Guy's way, but I'm not convinced it's a complete deal-breaker for his odds. Let's not forget that Punch Out is pretty obscure in Japan and even in America it's one of the more B or even C lister Nintendo franchises. That didn't stop Little Mac from getting in.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't even necessarily conflate sales 1-1 with recognition either. I'd argue that Phoenix Wright is pretty recognizable in the US despite Ace Attorney not exactly being a best seller over here. I can't speak with certainty (seeing as how I don't live over there), but I bet it's at least recognizable even just based on the Japanese Community Project. PC gaming has also apparently been seeing massive growth in Japan recently, which can only help a PC-centric series like DOOM.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
I've said this before, but I feel that Nintendo isn't going for DLC choices that appeal to everyone at once.
I think Erdrick is what seals this for me (I mean he isn't totally confirmed yet but whatever), if they wanted to appeal to everyone they would have picked Eight as he's both popular in the West and East while Erdrick is mainly popular in the East.

I think that DLC was picked to strengthen ties between third parties and nintendo, and third parties are using the DLC to market certain games. Persona 5 is heavily implied to be coming to the Switch, DQXI (again, Erdrick isn't confirmed but just using this here), and then we have DOOM eternal. Bethesda was one of the first companies to announce games for the Switch (again, Square Enix and Sega both announced games for the Switch before it was even revealed) too. Skyrim was the first TES game to come to Nintendo, and this was off the failure of the WiiU, this wasn't Bethesda just seeing the light of the Switch, there was something bigger going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Of course this theory lies on Erdrick getting in but whatever, I think they're both going to get revealed at E3.

Last edited:

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Doom's popularity in Japan i think there's also:
* DWANGO, which was even alive there when it died anywhere else.
* Fanart, specially Nanka Kurashiki.
* Some Call of Duty mod.
* I heard there was a manga that occasionally referenced Doom.
And at least we know Sakurai is aware of Doom's importance and how Bethesda's relationship is with Nintendo now.

On a different topic, remember when i talked about Doomguy having an armor meant to represent different iterations of Doom?
http://kinsie.tumblr.com/post/184337863407/recent-metadoom-development-work-new-player
I'm just glad someone sort of touched that concept, specially when it fits the mod's theme.

Last edited:

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Let's hope he gets in now, since his chances are higher thanks to Joker's gun.

Last edited:

TableCloth

Smash Cadet
I officially support Doomslayer for Smash. Alongside Scorpion he's my most wanted and I hope he makes it in. I'd love to see him use his chainsaw, arm blade, flamethrower, rockets and all of his other crazy weapons. BFG being the Final Smash is obvious, but fighting in Hell with Rip and Tear playing in the background would be awesome.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Seeing the Doom Slayer in Smash Bros. will make sure that his game Eternal will get more promotion and recognition. And him in Smash Bros. will make sure that (I'll give it 50/50) his series will sell more in Japan. Just like how Fire Emblem was promoted in the west by Melee.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that tweet, like many others, don't affect the NDA or anything.
Also, imagine Doom textures being available for the stage builder.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I don’t think some social media dude would be aware of whats going on behind the scenes. If Doomguy is in, only the higher ups at Bethesda,ID, and Zenimax would know. Not even Carmack would know either.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I find it interesting that Doomguy is such a popular pick for leaks that come up. Even if they are fake, it's an interesting showcase of perception on the character.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah, I dont see him as particularly likely, but this is the second (kinda sorta) bug rumor hes popped up in. I wonder what makes these "leakers" seem he is so likely, but im not complaining

D

Deleted member

Can't believe I haven't posted anything here yet.... Doomguy would be ****ing awesome in Smash, I fully support.
Regarding the recent Google rumors, I'm not putting much faith into it for the time being unless something that concretely proves they were Nintendo's doing comes up. Not even counting leaks though I think Doomguy has a pretty fair shot when it comes to Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder what name they will use to refer to Doomguy. It likely depends on what look they will go for, but then that brings up the question of if Sakurai will do his usual third party character schtick and go with the classic version of the character. Of course, there is always the possibility of multiple costumes.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
You know, I wonder what name they will use to refer to Doomguy. It likely depends on what look they will go for, but then that brings up the question of if Sakurai will do his usual third party character schtick and go with the classic version of the character. Of course, there is always the possibility of multiple costumes.
Personally, I think it'd be fun if they had different costumes use different names for him. Like, for one it's Doomguy, and then for another it's Doomslayer, and so on.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I was thinking about this as well.

On one hand (Doom) Slayer is the more official name (at least for the current games). On the other hand, I can see both parties embracing the sillier side of Doom and just going for Doom guy. Even to the point where the narrator is puzzled when he needs to say his name.
“Doom! .... guy?”

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Can't believe I haven't posted anything here yet.... Doomguy would be ****ing awesome in Smash, I fully support.
Regarding the recent Google rumors, I'm not putting much faith into it for the time being unless something that concretely proves they were Nintendo's doing comes up. Not even counting leaks though I think Doomguy has a pretty fair shot when it comes to Smash.
Wait, Google leaks?
Is there something I missed here?

You know, I find it interesting that Doomguy is such a popular pick for leaks that come up. Even if they are fake, it's an interesting showcase of perception on the character.
I'm willing to bet it's either the sheer ballsyness of the scenario (the most violent character in gaming becoming a fighter in a historically family-friendly series) or just straight-up genuine support for his inclusion (perhaps even a combination of both)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Wait, Google leaks?
Is there something I missed here?
Long story short, Google Europe's servers aligned Banjo-Kazooie, Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Slayer and of all things Artorias from Dark Souls with ads for the Fighter Pass. Honestly, we're needing a lot of salt for this rumor.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Little sad story.

(Ignore to skip cutscene)
Because I’m so hyped about the possibility of Doom getting in smash, and that I need my yearly Doom playthrough.
And because I still don’t own 2016 Doom due to not being able to spend that much on a Switch game when there are (always) other priorities (and it won’t run remotely well on my pc)

I decided to replay Doom 3 BFG edition on my PS3.

... oh... boy...
How did I even put me through that a first time?

Loading times of HELL! I swear at one point it took like a minute and a half to load. What’s up with that?

Just to be clear, I loved it back then. But time erased the bad memories associated with it.
I’ll have to snatch the original version from Steam someday to be able to replay it, and I’ll just leave my physical PS3 version to collect dust.

Does the Switch game ever go on sale? And more importantly, any performance differences between physical and digital?

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
The Google leak is interesting because it looks different from the other leaks, but as usual, there's still some chance of it being fake, like maybe some weird issue with Google's service or even someone just messing around.
As for the name, simply just "Doom" could work as a little nod to Doomguy's Q3A cameo.

Little sad story.

Because I’m so hyped about the possibility of Doom getting in smash, and that I need my yearly Doom playthrough.
And because I still don’t own 2016 Doom due to not being able to spend that much on a Switch game when there are (always) other priorities (and it won’t run remotely well on my pc)

... oh... boy...

Loading times of HELL! I swear at one point it took like a minute and a half to load. What’s up with that?

Just to be clear, I loved it back then. But time erased the bad memories associated with it.
I’ll have to snatch the original version from Steam someday to be able to replay it, and I’ll just leave my physical PS3 version to collect dust.

Does the Switch game ever go on sale? And more importantly, any performance differences between physical and digital?
BFG edition has been noticeable for screwing up both Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and even the classic games.
Pretty much a non BFG edition of Doom 3/RoE and the classic collection on GOG would be better (Specially since GOG may be the version where TNT's Pharaoh level is fixed).
The only downside being the absense of No Rest For The Living but even then, BFG edition messed around with the song order in that episode.
I know someone named Thathomestar that made a Doom guide on both his Tumblr and Wordpress and that on 4chan, the /vr/ board has Doom threads where people set up links to stuff in the OP, that should help you into getting into Doom.

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Little sad story.

... oh... boy...

I hear that the Switch port of Doom 2016 is actually pretty good, so I would recommend getting it on Switch whenever you can(since the PC version isn't an option for you). Because Doom 2016 is so good, as a hardcore Doom fan it blew me away! If you're new to the series I would still recommend you play it, as I know plenty of people who enjoyed playing through it, and they never played any other Doom game. I don't think there are any differences in performance on physical or digital. Doom 3 is alright, I have a lot of issues with it, I never played the BFG edition though so I can't speak about that particular version.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The Google leak is interesting because it looks different from the other leaks, but as usual, there's still some chance of it being fake, like maybe some weird issue with Google's service or even someone just messing around.
As for the name, simply just "Doom" could work as a little nod to Doomguy's Q3A cameo.

BFG edition has been noticeable for screwing up both Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil and even the classic games.
Pretty much a non BFG edition of Doom 3/RoE and the classic collection on GOG would be better (Specially since GOG may be the version where TNT's Pharaoh level is fixed).
The only downside being the absense of No Rest For The Living but even then, BFG edition messed around with the song order in that episode.
I know someone named Thathomestar that made a Doom guide on both his Tumblr and Wordpress and that on 4chan, the /vr/ board has Doom threads where people set up links to stuff in the OP, that should help you into getting into Doom.
Thanks for the tip. I would have bought them on Steam, but I do hear GoG does much better with old games.

Now I feel cheated for having played a wrong version of Doom 3 lol.

I’ll check that reddit sometime too, thanks!

I hear that the Switch port of Doom 2016 is actually pretty good, so I would recommend getting it on Switch whenever you can(since the PC version isn't an option for you). Because Doom 2016 is so good, as a hardcore Doom fan it blew me away! If you're new to the series I would still recommend you play it, as I know plenty of people who enjoyed playing through it, and they never played any other Doom game. I don't think there are any differences in performance on physical or digital. Doom 3 is alright, I have a lot of issues with it, I never played the BFG edition though so I can't speak about that particular version.
I think I did have fun with Doom 3, but those load times were completely erased from my memory. They’re baaad, and I hear it’s the retail version owners that got screwed over, the digital version was fine. (Hence, why I ask about Doom on Swotch). So thanks for the info!

I’m actually not new to Doom at all, btw. I must have bought it back in 1995 at least, my first game where I saved my allowance money to buy it, after being blown away by the shareware disc.
It was actually Ultimate Doom, Doom II, And Master Levels of Doom II. Since they came with a Doom 95 installer, I assume it was around that time.
I remember I felt kind of cheated when I learned about Final Doom as that would have truly made the badly named bundle a true “Doom Trilogy”.
(I never felt like I could make “Master Levels of doom II work. They felt like random multiplayer maps).

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share a bit of my bg. Also, I was knee deep into DoomED. Although half the time I couldn’t get my levels to work, or work without graphical glitching. :D

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tip. I would have bought them on Steam, but I do hear GoG does much better with old games.

Now I feel cheated for having played a wrong version of Doom 3 lol.

I’ll check that reddit sometime too, thanks!

I think I did have fun with Doom 3, but those load times were completely erased from my memory. They’re baaad, and I hear it’s the retail version owners that got screwed over, the digital version was fine. (Hence, why I ask about Doom on Swotch). So thanks for the info!

I’m actually not new to Doom at all, btw. I must have bought it back in 1995 at least, my first game where I saved my allowance money to buy it, after being blown away by the shareware disc.
It was actually Ultimate Doom, Doom II, And Master Levels of Doom II. Since they came with a Doom 95 installer, I assume it was around that time.
I remember I felt kind of cheated when I learned about Final Doom as that would have truly made the badly named bundle a true “Doom Trilogy”.
(I never felt like I could make “Master Levels of doom II work. They felt like random multiplayer maps).

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to share a bit of my bg. Also, I was knee deep into DoomED. Although half the time I couldn’t get my levels to work, or work without graphical glitching. :D
Doom 2 was my introduction to the series, so I absolutely love that game. I was never interested in the Master levels though either. Then I played Doom 1 with the bonus episode "Thy Flesh Consumed" packaged with it, I think that was Final Doom, but I could be wrong. Then I moved up to Doom 3 and didn't really like it as I felt it wasn't much of a Doom game(more power to you or anyone that does like it). I dabbled a bit with Doom 64, but I never beat that one, though I should come back to it some day. Then Doom 2016 came out and just blew away my expectations for the game. So here I am now waiting and hoping for Doomguy to be added into Smash Ultimate. Here's hoping our boy gets in! Sorry for assuming you were a newbie to the series, my bad.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Doom 2 was my introduction to the series, so I absolutely love that game. I was never interested in the Master levels though either. Then I played Doom 1 with the bonus episode "Thy Flesh Consumed" packaged with it, I think that was Final Doom, but I could be wrong. Then I moved up to Doom 3 and didn't really like it as I felt it wasn't much of a Doom game(more power to you or anyone that does like it). I dabbled a bit with Doom 64, but I never beat that one, though I should come back to it some day. Then Doom 2016 came out and just blew away my expectations for the game. So here I am now waiting and hoping for Doomguy to be added into Smash Ultimate. Here's hoping our boy gets in! Sorry for assuming you were a newbie to the series, my bad.
No worries!
I hear nothing but good things about Doom 2016, and it’s been 2nd on my Switch list (only 2nd to smash that is) since before I got one.

Yeah, thing about Doom 3 is it tried to be Half Life. I still like it, but it’s still the one I like least.

I was also surprised about this new chapter in the original. And it did not let me down.
I did try Doom 64 but didn’t make it far. I wonder why they still haven’t gone around to port it.

Well, here’s hoping for Doomguy / Slayer to make it in Smash. I trust Sakurai or the DLC team could make an amazing job in making a good blend of both.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
The Google thing was wrong, someone found a sixth character for which the Ads show up: Thanos.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Artorias I can actually see, tbh. Dark Souls is pretty important and impactful, Artorias is on the cover of at least one version (Prepare to Die Edition), and if you actually look at how he fights, he could be a really fun, interesting fighter, and that is something they look for. I could see it. The lack of Erdrick tho... IDK.

But back to Doom, the fact that our boi has popped up in multiple leaks is cool, IMO. It doesn't necessarily mean something but it's nice to see none the less.
As far as what they would call him if he makes it in... hard to say.

DoomGUY fits smash and highlights the oft overlooked silly side of the series.
DoomSlayer is a pretty good go to that favors the new games but works for an old alt skin as well.
Marine (or Doom Marine) is also possible, and would also be nice and universal, even the slayer is reffered to as a marine in the codex of 2016 at one point.

Regardless of what they call him, I do think his base look would be a smashified Eternal look, because I do think his moveset would incorporate that games additions. I think an alt look that is classic but still has the new features is also likely.

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Artorias I can actually see, tbh. Dark Souls is pretty important and impactful, Artorias is on the cover of at least one version (Prepare to Die Edition), and if you actually look at how he fights, he could be a really fun, interesting fighter, and that is something they look for. I could see it. The lack of Erdrick tho... IDK.

But back to Doom, the fact that our boi has popped up in multiple leaks is cool, IMO. It doesn't necessarily mean something but it's nice to see none the less.
As far as what they would call him if he makes it in... hard to say.

DoomGUY fits smash and highlights the oft overlooked silly side of the series.
DoomSlayer is a pretty good go to that favors the new games but works for an old alt skin as well.
Marine (or Doom Marine) is also possible, and would also be nice and universal, even the slayer is reffered to as a marine in the codex of 2016 at one point.

Regardless of what they call him, I do think his base look would be a smashified Eternal look, because I do think his moveset would incorporate that games additions. I think an alt look that is classic but still has the new features is also likely.
Not to mention that his Eternal looks has more moveset potential. Like the Doomblade for example. Also, his Classic Mode boss could be Ganon the Demon King.

Although, I am aware that the DLC characters will not have their own Guidance, but it would be cool to see Doomguy's Guidance where Samuel Hayden gives information to Pit, Palutena and Viridi about Doomguy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not to mention that his Eternal looks has more moveset potential. Like the Doomblade for example.
EXACTLY! The Doomblade could be used in his throws along with his shoulder-mounted flamethrower/grenade launcher, the Meat Hook he has on his Super Shotgun can be a great tether, and he can have a wall cling as a reference to the new climbable walls in Doom Eternal.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I've jumped on the Google Theory train, so I all but expect Doom Slayer at this point.
Calling it now; his trailer will be Samus and Mega Man hunting for Bowser and Ridley. Mega Man and Samus get beat up and Doom Slayer comes in to take out Bowser and Ridley.
Vague, I know, but that seems like the most likely scenario to introduce the Doom Slayer.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I've jumped on the Google Theory train, so I all but expect Doom Slayer at this point.
Calling it now; his trailer will be Samus and Mega Man hunting for Bowser and Ridley. Mega Man and Samus get beat up and Doom Slayer comes in to take out Bowser and Ridley.
Vague, I know, but that seems like the most likely scenario to introduce the Doom Slayer.
Don't forget Bayonetta, cause demons and all that.

EXACTLY! The Doomblade could be used in his throws along with his shoulder-mounted flamethrower/grenade launcher, the Meat Hook he has on his Super Shotgun can be a great tether, and he can have a wall cling as a reference to the new climbable walls in Doom Eternal.
Once I re-release my Doom Slayer character moveset idea for Doom Eternal (if Doom Slayer isn't revealed before then), I plan on expanding on the glory kills by giving him some variations in animations; they'd have the same length, damage and general effects, though it'd better show off the Slayer's creativity through his violent executions. Might even include a few "fed a grenade" animations for kicks.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
shinhed-echi shinhed-echi Strange, I had gotten the 360 version of the BFG edition but didn’t experience any unusual load times or anything. As far as Doom 3 itself though, you hit the nail on the head I guess, but still love it for what it is. The main problem with base Doom 3 was that it dragged on too much, between like the Alpha Labs and Delta Labs sections and such. Too many filler levels. Resurrection of Evil had a more reasonable length, so the campaign didn’t overstay its welcome, and Doom 2016 had pretty much the same amount of levels as well.

Doom II I also felt dragged on a bit with that said about vanilla Doom 3, but y’know.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
shinhed-echi shinhed-echi Strange, I had gotten the 360 version of the BFG edition but didn’t experience any unusual load times or anything. As far as Doom 3 itself though, you hit the nail on the head I guess, but still love it for what it is. The main problem with base Doom 3 was that it dragged on too much, between like the Alpha Labs and Delta Labs sections and such. Too many filler levels. Resurrection of Evil had a more reasonable length, so the campaign didn’t overstay its welcome, and Doom 2016 had pretty much the same amount of levels as well.

Doom II I also felt dragged on a bit with that said about vanilla Doom 3, but y’know.
I think it’s a PS3 retail issue. Maybe a rare one at that.
But I do remember enjoying the game regardless, especially once you’re out of the facilities. I think it had ties to the old games.

I never felt like Doom 2 dragged, but boy did it always make me feel like there was no way I’d be able to beat that next level.

Since I got frustrated with Doom 3 load times, there no way I’m replaying that, so I decided to go with Doom 64 now.
Nothing prepared me to how dark that game is.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
E3 is coming close and with it we'll hear more news about Doom Eternal from Bethesda's conference. Here's to hoping the game's release date isn't very far away. With that said, if Doomguy is part of the DLC do you think his eternal costume will be available as an alt skin?

Holphino

Smash Apprentice
E3 is coming close and with it we'll hear more news about Doom Eternal from Bethesda's conference. Here's to hoping the game's release date isn't very far away. With that said, if Doomguy is part of the DLC do you think his eternal costume will be available as an alt skin?
Iv'e always felt that his main costume would be either his Eternal look or the first 2016 reboot look. I'm leaning more towards it being his Eternal look, with the 2016 reboot look as an alt, and maybe/hopefully we'll get some classic alts as well.

Top Bottom