• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Having it at normal speed would probably better convey how unfazed he is by literal hellfire, all while making him stand out more in a badass way from the other fighters
While that would be amazing, I doubt that will be the case with part of the curry mechanic being that the character will be faster.

Also, we are now past 1,000 posts. Cool to see that this thread has now entered the 4 digit club.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, do you think they will somehow sneak in a reference to Doomguys pet rabbit through Daisy?

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what's funnier to me: In-character Doomguy just nonchalantly spewing fire or Doomguy uncharacteristically flailing about indicating that the Superspicy Curry is in fact, hotter than hell.
Hey, do you think they will somehow sneak in a reference to Doomguys pet rabbit through Daisy?
I bet there'd be a gag involving Daisy wearing the Bunny Hood, be it in his reveal trailer or his classic mode clear screen.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'm not sure what's funnier to me: In-character Doomguy just nonchalantly spewing fire or Doomguy uncharacteristically flailing about indicating that the Superspicy Curry is in fact, hotter than hell.
Both would be funny, but I find the former to be more apealing because of how bad*** that would be.
I bet there'd be a gag involving Daisy wearing the Bunny Hood, be it in his reveal trailer or his classic mode clear screen.
I could see it happening in his clear screen. If they were going to do that sort of reference, I imagine they would shrink her as well.

Edit:
I just realized, how does one remix Doom music for Smash. Unless we for some reason have a Final Fantasy scenario, which I doubt because that seems to be a FF specific problem, Doomguy would likely come with a remix or two. Is there a composer who is apart of Smash that has experience with metal? I just ask this because I know that the Doom(2016) soundtrack was made through pretty unconventional means.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I just realized, how does one remix Doom music for Smash. Unless we for some reason have a Final Fantasy scenario, which I doubt because that seems to be a FF specific problem, Doomguy would likely come with a remix or two. Is there a composer who is apart of Smash that has experience with metal? I just ask this because I know that the Doom(2016) soundtrack was made through pretty unconventional means.
I think the original midi tracks are prime material for making new arrangements out of. I think Motoi Sakuraba would be a good fit, as he actually did the Brawl remixes of Gourmet Race and Victory Road, which are both metal and extremely good.

The Mick Gordon stuff however could present difficulties when trying to make new arrangements out of them. Those should probably just be directly ported from 2016.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the original midi tracks are prime material for making new arrangements out of. I think Motoi Sakuraba would be a good fit, as he actually did the Brawl remixes of Gourmet Race and Victory Road, which are both metal and extremely good.

The Mick Gordon stuff however could present difficulties when trying to make new arrangements out of them. Those should probably just be directly ported from 2016.
Yeah, I think the original tracks are the best route to go when it comes to remixing Doom music.

I will say though, if Doomguy were to get released, the first thing I would do is go New Donk City, turn Jump Up, Super star to 100 percent and just go to town on some computers. And yes, it's because of this video.
(Mandetory violence and gore warning because Smashboards. Also spoilers for Doom 2016)
I will be completely honest, this video is part of the reason I started wanting Doomguy in the first place.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
So Doom Slayer gets shafted because there were no Mii costumes of Bethesda characters in Sm4sh, and people are hoping for an additional fighters pass in order to reopen the windows of possibilities?

That's sucky.
That's the thought process anyway. Not that anything is set in stone at all, but it's always good to keep an eye on these kind of things. It reminds me of the denial of the Box Theory.

Untouch

Smash Master
If Banjo really does get in at E3, the last major hurdle (western chararacters can't get in) will be gone.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Banjo really does get in at E3, the last major hurdle (western chararacters can't get in) will be gone.
Yeah, and since I doubt they would double dip on Microsoft characters, a lot of competition would go away as well, namely Master Chief.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
On the subject of soundtrack, old school Doom also has a bit more "versatility" and variety of genres and when it comes to remixes or remasters, Andrew Hulshult currently works at id Software and he was known for making fanmade remasters of Doom music.
I guess for representation and to see what a series can offer, you could always start with the first entry and progress until the last one, just to review what is either iconic, important, usefull, mandatory, interesting or a mix of those.

On the subject of Sigil, i played it on HMP and i'll soon try and play it on UV (Maybe because i'm not that good lol), since it's meant to be difficult, considering it's a follow up to Thy Flesh Consumed.
Fanmade crossovers if he gets in are going to be interesting, because Doom already has a bit of a history with fan crossovers.
In fact, it'd also mean more people getting into the series, because historic relevance aside, it's a fun series and it has a lot of fan content to be played.

Also, if he gets low health/damaged enough, he could do that beep beep sound from 2016 where his health is low.
I think Doom 3 also had a low ammo noise, so if he gets a ammo system, that could be thrown in as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, what do you guys think Doomguy's idle, taunt and victory animations would be?

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman

The Mick Gordon stuff, however, could present difficulties when trying to make new arrangements out of them. Those should probably just be directly ported from 2016.
I'd also like a couple of tracks from other id Software games to perhaps pop up, like from Quake and Wolfenstein
For reference, an excerpt of my moveset post:

Music:
For the most part, I tried going for tracks which had a fast pace/were good in action scenarios, to fit the fighting speed of Smash Bros. The song pool below is relatively large for a newcomer, so treat this as more of a pool of tracks the devs would be likely to select.
With the possible exception of the 2016 and Eternal tracks, a lot of these tracks could also be given remixes by Japanese artists (this includes tracks I haven't listed for the above reasons, so don't worry if I haven't listed a track you personally felt could fit here). With that said, I'd kill for a collab between Mick Gordon, Andrew Hulshult (prolific Doom remixer and composer of nearly every indie throwback FPS under the sun) and/or Crush 40.
Bold tracks are my personal faves.
You know, what do you guys think Doomguy's idle, taunt and victory animations would be?
Again, another moveset post excerpt (has a bit more than those 3, but oh well):
  • Animations + Miscellaneous:
  • Character select pose: Facing the front looking to his right, left hand - Doom blade extended - clenched into a fist and raised above his head, with the Super Shotgun in his right hand aimed in the direction he's looking at.
  • Logo: UAC Logo (Classic or Modern), the DOOM logo (perhaps shortened to a D) or the Mark of the Slayer.
  • Head icon:
  • Entrance: Teleports in through hellish energy, pumping a fresh shell into his Combat Shotgun.
  • Idle animations:
    • Raises his arm to extend, inspect and retract the Doom Blade.
    • Inspects his currently-held weapon (changes depending on the last attack used), activating mechanical components should the weapon possess any (in the vein of the inspection animations when first equipping a weapon).
  • Crumple animation: Falls forward while clutching his neck with his right hand; a homage to his classic death animation.
  • Taunts:
    • Pulls out and activates the Slayer's Crucible, performing two threatening ground slashes before putting it away (could act as an edge-kill move like Luigi's kick taunt).
    • Menacingly cracks his knuckles.
    • Pulls out a Doomguy Doll, inspecting it before giving it a fist-bump.
    • (Doom 3 alt only, replaces Doomguy Doll taunt) Pulls out and fiddles with a flashlight
  • Victory Poses:
    • Fights off a horde of Imps swarming his position, with the shot freezing on Doomguy in an identical pose to the Doom cover art (aiming his Super Shotgun at an Imp grabbing his arm). Continues fighting off the never-ending Imp swarm after the freeze-frame.
    • Pulls out the Chaingun with the Mobile Turret modification and unleashes a continuous barrage.
    • Crushes a demon skull with his foot, with the shot panning up to see Doomguy load the Super Shotgun and take aim at the camera, up close and personal (essentially the Doom Eternal teaser trailer from the Demon's point of view).
  • No Contest/Defeat Pose: Claps in a slow, calm manner of tranquil fury.
  • Character artwork: A recreation of either the Classic Doom cover art or Doom 2016 cover art (which is itself a recreation of the classic cover art) with various Smash fighters replacing the demons (and Samus as the lone marine calling out at Doomguy in the background, if the classic cover is selected).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
God damn it. Why must he keep on appearing in leaks that have something going for it and then those leaks get debunked? Quit playing with my heart fate.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
God damn it. Why must he keep on appearing in leaks that have something going for it and then those leaks get debunked? Quit playing with my heart fate.
You mean the recent one about Pokémon?
Was there any real debunk to it? I mean, I saw Sabi saying: "Well, many of us knew that", but I'm not sure if there was anything else going for that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Oh hey, an axe of some kind. His arsenal keeps getting better and better.

Chances are I might be working during Bethesda’s E3 coverage, but I expect to see some badass stuff posted here from it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Oh hey, an axe of some kind. His arsenal keeps getting better and better.

Chances are I might be working during Bethesda’s E3 coverage, but I expect to see some badass stuff posted here from it.
Maybe my eyes are just deceiving me, but can we see Doomguy's face?

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
idle: icon of his pixelated head appearing over him looking left and right
taunt: cracks knuckles
victory: screen melts and gives us the classic result screen from Doom 1
alternate victory: plays with a mini-doomguy figurine and breaks the camera when he knows he's being watched

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What do you guys think are the chances that Doomguy will be an E3 reveal?
This might be bias talking, it I think he’s the 3rd most likely to me. There’s a Bethesda presentation after all. Not that he’s necessarily going to be revealed at the Bethesda presentation. But Doom feels like it was an important pillar in bringing more hardcore audiences to the Switch. And it’s such a popular name in the west.

Untouch

Smash Master
I still have a hunch that it's going to happen.
I do think Banjo is going to be in now, but I just don't think they'll announce a revival of the series and the character at once.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Secondary Doom Guy supporter here. Let's look at the good and bad.

Good
- Doom Eternal is most likely going to be shown at E3
- E3 is a mostly American venue that starts at 2:00am for people in Japan
- Sakurai said "Look forward to DLC 2 and 3" which could mean they are being revealed close together
- Doom pioneered the First Person Shooter genre, something that Sakurai could take into consideration
- Doom has had a history of being on Nintendo consoles such as the SNES, N64, GBA and Switch
- The google theory has Doom Guy along with Banjo Kazooie and has yet to be disproven
- Bethesda have been speaking to Nintendo in regards to Super Smash Bros
- Joker has proven that Guns are legal in Smash Bros regardless if it's real or not

Bad
- Doom is virtually unknown in Japan, just as Dragon Quest is unknown in the United States and Europe
- However, Sakurai said "Look forward to DLC 2 and 3" in Japanese which means one character could be from Japan
- No credible leakers have backed up Doom Guy being part of the fighter's pass
- While I don't agree with this point, Sakurai could view the game as too gorey for Smash Bros
- Having two western characters join within the same time frame would alienate the Japanese audience
- Doom Guy faces competition from Erdrick who's franchise holds up incredibly well in Japan alone

So from what I have said, I give Doom Guy a 40% chance of appearing.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that Banjo is getting confirmed all of a sudden? Was it that Witch stage? (It was probably the Witch stage)

Additionally, I'd vouch that Doom Slayer would release sometime after Doom Eternal's release; codify his current outing in preparation for his Smash appearance.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Why is it that Banjo is getting confirmed all of a sudden? Was it that Witch stage? (It was probably the Witch stage)
A lot has happened on the Project Dream forum because of these points

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Banjo hurts Doomguy's chances. We can get multiple Western characters in the Fighter Pass, especially considering how many of them are actively supporting the Switch and Nintendo, and this includes Bethesda.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From the look of things, Doomguy is likely going to have to fight some angels. :ultpit: That's pretty exciting.

Untouch

Smash Master
Getting some major Bayonetta vibes, I hope if he's in they'll reference it in the trailer.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If we are fighting angels, then Doom Slayer and Bayonetta have something in common.
I said it in the general and I will say it here, we now know who Jokers father is. Though, I don't think he would like Jokers Persona for very spoilery reasons.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am putting this in post form because when I edited it in, a new post was made.
Not sure if I missed this from Bethesda's conference but
You can get a DOOT skin!!
Anyway, what are we expecting when it comes to Heaven in this game?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I am suuuuper hyped for dooom eternal!

I nearly lost my **** when they said that line about heaven’s wrath. He’s fighting angels now!? Like omg!

I’m a bit speechless right now. Bethesda was just outstanding!

No wonder Doom Eternal was the last game to be shown. I mean damn!

If there’s one character who’s reveal would fit like a glove right now, it’s Doomguy/Slayer.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am suuuuper hyped for dooom eternal!

I nearly lost my **** when they said that line about heaven’s wrath. He’s fighting angels now!? Like omg!

I’m a bit speechless right now. Bethesda was just outstanding!

No wonder Doom Eternal was the last game to be shown. I mean damn!

If there’s one character who’s reveal would fit like a glove right now, it’s Doomguy/Slayer.
I wouldn't say Bethesda as a whole, considering... things, but the Doom team is clearly the gem of the company.

Top Bottom