• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Voe

Smash Journeyman
Gonna repost the thing I said in the Geno thread.
Man I forgot about that Caco Mallow leak video. No one hasn't debunked yet right? No DOOM and SMRPG mii costumes showing up in the Min Min presentation is a good sign so far.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Bethesda/ZeniMax getting a Mii costume doesn't strike me as a prelude to getting a fighter personally. I view it as marginally negative toward Doomguy as a fighter overall but at least I'll be much less surprised if he ends up a Mii costume.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Man I forgot about that Caco Mallow leak video. No one hasn't debunked yet right? No DOOM and SMRPG mii costumes showing up in the Min Min presentation is a good sign so far.
Correct, it's still going strong.
Given the timing of Cacomallow (leaked in early November, same month Byleth presentation was recorded, meaning she was finished by then) that would mean content for at least Challenger Pack 7 and maybe 8 were being worked on.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I do wonder if this might sign too some port of the older Fallouts to come to Switch eventually, not 4 or 76 (thank god), but maybe the first 3 and New Vegas? Not like Joker lead to the Switch getting any Persona games outside of Scramble to take that as a given, or that it'd mean anything for the Slayer either. It's still interesting to see a bigger dev/publisher get the special mii costume treatment when we only saw Indies get it thus far, I was putting my chips Hollow Knight would be next on that list.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
It's still interesting to see a bigger dev/publisher get the special mii costume treatment when we only saw Indies get it thus far
Slight correction; it's not really a first since we got a Mii costume of Altair, who is a character owned by Ubisoft.

Then again, there were already Rayman/Rabbids spirits in the game, so...

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Slight correction; it's not really a first since we got a Mii costume of Altair, who is a character owned by Ubisoft.

Then again, there were already Rayman/Rabbids spirits in the game, so...
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Vault Boy a special mii outfit that comes with a track like Cuphead and Sans? I think Altair was just considered a regular mii outfit (although now that you mention it it's funny how they refered this addition as Smash Bros x Vault Boy instead of x Fallout, like it happened with Altair back then).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Vault Boy was an interesting development, but whenever the Switch port for Eternal gets revealed & released far as date and what all will be shown at the next Smash fighter presentation by then will be when the jury's out for me on Doomguy. Still waiting for them to fix the Eternal online bugs for the platform I have it on, as well as finally adding the Invasion mode, which got some more drama surrounding the game for the attempted anti-cheat measures that were taken; at least for the PC version I guess. Otherwise it's just waiting to see what gets added next to the game and when, which is why this thread didn't see much posting again for awhile before the Vault Boy news dropped.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, that was a fun presentation. Min Min looks fun to play, the Mii Costumes were a surprise (RIP Heihachi and Hello Vault Boy), and the prelude to more fighters and trailers was a pleasant announcement.

Doomguy/Doom Slayer might be still in the race. We got proof that Bethesda at least negotiated with Nintendo in some shape or form.

It's 50/50 right now honestly.

:bowser:.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Nope; none of the Mii costumes came with music this time.
ah, I assumed so due to the prelude trailer to the mii costume, my bad then. It'll be unfortunate if we don't get the Slayer out of negotiating with Bethesda, but I'll be surprised if we get no Doom content after Vault Boy, I do hope at least it's not just that yet to be debunked cacodemon hat though, it'd feel weird not having at least the classic helmet or praetor suit as mii costumes or something, and I guess something Skyrym is on the table as well, but I'm not really familiar with TES to judge what could be an outfit from there.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Bethesda/ZeniMax getting a Mii costume doesn't strike me as a prelude to getting a fighter personally. I view it as marginally negative toward Doomguy as a fighter overall but at least I'll be much less surprised if he ends up a Mii costume.
Again, keep in mind that Bethesda merely publish the games, and that Id Software are the developers (despite what Beth tried to pull last E3 with that whole "we invented the FPS" shpiel)

If anything, I see Beth's current standing with Ninty as being close enough to qualify the Slayer as a fighter, yet distant enough to not disqualify him.

Still waiting for them to fix the Eternal online bugs for the platform I have it on, as well as finally adding the Invasion mode, which got some more drama surrounding the game for the attempted anti-cheat measures that were taken; at least for the PC version I guess.
Speak of the Devil: https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/396kKRCJRv9lGZbNIa8rXh/doom-eternal-update-2-preview

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
Min Min looks cool and to me, the Vault Boy neither helps or hurts Doomguy's chances but i remember seeing a few people expecting him as a fighter even though he is more of a fictional in-universe mascot (Originally as a parody of corporate mascots until he literally became the "face" of Fallout, even if this take isn't new).
Doom Eternal's new pictures of the update look neat, i kinda like the folliage on the cultist base since it reminds me of Plutonia.

Also, Gregor Punchatz himself released this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz2Ex-3UWZg so if i were to make a positive look out of nowhere, it's that if the Spider Mastermind were to have a model in Smash, it'd be cool if they tried to replicate her classic look or even find a way to merge it with the new look, like what MetaDoom sort of it.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Today's presentation got me thinking about how they'd reveal Doom Slayer.

These fighter presentations have been very "E-Rated" so far. Hell, they won't even mention games like Assassin's Creed or Fallout by name in some regions. If Doom Slayer got in, I wonder if Sakurai would even be able to show footage of Doom games.

For this reason, I kind of feel like Doom Slayer would be one of those characters that we learn about before the Sakurai Showcase video similar to how Hero and Banjo were handled (and unlike Byleth). He could get a reveal trailer during a direct or something, then we'd get a showcase video later- that way we'd know to expect mature content going into the showcase and they could warn consumers beforehand.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
My condolences to the Spirits Deconfirm and Heihachi audiences out there.

But Vault Boy

Hot damn, Vault Boy

This could go one of two ways:
  1. Vault Boy is the sole result of Beth's negotiations for getting franchises under their belt into Smash. Perhaps something greater was planned, but it possibly fell through in a similar manner to Jill Valentine
  2. Vault Boy is rolling out the metaphorical red carpet for the Doom Slayer to become the next fighter in Smash.
My mind says 1, but my heart says 2. This is absolute torture, what do I do?!
Well, that was a fun presentation. Min Min looks fun to play, the Mii Costumes were a surprise (RIP Heihachi and Hello Vault Boy), and the prelude to more fighters and trailers was a pleasant announcement.

Doomguy/Doom Slayer might be still in the race. We got proof that Bethesda at least negotiated with Nintendo in some shape or form.

It's 50/50 right now honestly.

:bowser:.
Why would a hypothetical bethesda rep not include the Vault Boy mii costume during their release? Cuphead/Sans miis were included and i don't see any indication of them having a fighter's pass, especially if this is Bethesda's first foray into smash collaborations. It's pretty indicative where we're heading regarding Bethesda content (maybe some spirits, possibly more mii costumes, but no fighter content)

I highly doubt this is related to what pete hines was talking about, that talk happened 3 years ago.
No the talk regarding smash was only during the beginning of this year (about the time when pass 2 was finalized).

You don't need to debunk something that modders have stated it's not impossible to do. To be honest, the fact that its been 6 month-ishs and none of these costumes have appeared (especially if they are to come with Geno/DOOM) should have sank these "leaks" already.

Correct, it's still going strong.
Given the timing of Cacomallow (leaked in early November, same month Byleth presentation was recorded, meaning she was finished by then) that would mean content for at least Challenger Pack 7 and maybe 8 were being worked on.
hi my name is cacomallow and its so cold in sakurai's basement. i'm sooooo happy that im going to be represented soon! can anyone let me know when sakurai can free me? its been 8 months since i was created and seeing all my brothers and sisters graduate to smash is such a liberating feeling! i can't wait to be released together with the doom fighter pack that i haven't seen one trace of but please send some books soon mallow is starting to ramble to himself about 'seeing the stars'

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Why would a hypothetical bethesda rep not include the Vault Boy mii costume during their release? Cuphead/Sans miis were included and i don't see any indication of them having a fighter's pass, especially if this is Bethesda's first foray into smash collaborations. It's pretty indicative where we're heading regarding Bethesda content (maybe some spirits, possibly more mii costumes, but no fighter content)

No the talk regarding smash was only during the beginning of this year (about the time when pass 2 was finalized).

You don't need to debunk something that modders have stated it's not impossible to do. To be honest, the fact that its been 6 month-ishs and none of these costumes have appeared (especially if they are to come with Geno/DOOM) should have sank these "leaks" already.

hi my name is cacomallow and its so cold in sakurai's basement. i'm sooooo happy that im going to be represented soon! can anyone let me know when sakurai can free me? its been 8 months since i was created and seeing all my brothers and sisters graduate to smash is such a liberating feeling! i can't wait to be released together with the doom fighter pack that i haven't seen one trace of but please send some books soon mallow is starting to ramble to himself about 'seeing the stars'
What do you gain from trying to talk down on people speculating in support of a character in their own thread? Do you really think you can change our minds so you can feel smarter, especially with a condescending tone?

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
I never talked down about the rest of the comments regarding DOOM if you actually read it, merely about the one point that vehemently insisted that the Cacodemon/Mallow costumes had to be real despite how many people have pointed out that its increasingly illogical for it to be real. Neither did i say anything about Geno's chances if that's what you believe so strongly in - only that the mii costume argument should have been dropped by now.

But if you want to wait till the end of 2021 only to be disappointed, hey feel free to do so.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I never talked down about the rest of the comments regarding DOOM if you actually read it, merely about the one point that vehemently insisted that the Cacodemon/Mallow costumes had to be real despite how many people have pointed out that its increasingly illogical for it to be real.
Yet you also spoke out against the Vault Boy costume being an indicator for the Slayer's potential inclusion, something that has little to do with the CacoMallow leak beyond being a Mii Costume.

What do you gain from trying to talk down on people speculating in support of a character in their own thread? Do you really think you can change our minds so you can feel smarter, especially with a condescending tone?
Agreed. I'm all for playing devil's advocate or reminding others to keep their expectations grounded, but this is still a Doom Slayer support thread at the end of the day; nearly any shred of evidence towards his inclusion is as good as the last, and you're not going to change minds with a dismissively patronizing attitude.

And given that your history in this thread (and others on occasion) has been little more than maliciously lambasting those who speak in support of Doom, I see little evidence of such an attitude changing, let alone any reason to listen to it at all.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Yet you also spoke out against the Vault Boy costume being an indicator for the Slayer's potential inclusion, something that has little to do with the CacoMallow leak beyond being a Mii Costume.

Agreed. I'm all for playing devil's advocate or reminding others to keep their expectations grounded, but this is still a Doom Slayer support thread at the end of the day; nearly any shred of evidence towards his inclusion is as good as the last, and you're not going to change minds with a dismissively patronizing attitude.

And given that your history in this thread (and others on occasion) has been little more than maliciously lambasting those who speak in support of Doom, I see little evidence of such an attitude changing, let alone any reason to listen to it at all.
My points were obviously separate from each other so i have no idea why the points were being conflated together? One point was about the Vault Boy mii costume, and the other was about whether that old mii leak was real?
I know i've been bearish on DOOM, but i have not been malicious about it at all, in fact pointing and discussing it fairly. If we're not interested in looking at points objectively - instead going to choose and pick things that fit the narrative instead of looking at it closely, then what's the point of doing so? I sure as heck didn't put down people who talked about what they want to see, or how they envision a DOOM moveset.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
Eh I think it's fair to take the Vault Boy mii costume as a blow against the Slayer, but it's also not something I'd consider conclusive yet. We've had 3rd party costumes revealed that had nothing to do with the current challenger release since Banjo, I wouldn't take it as a sign as to what companies to expect or not to get a guest into the game. Now if it was the mythical Cacodemon hat or any costume depicting the Slayer, I'd be more inclined to agree we have a definitive disconfirmation, but that ain't the case so far.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I believe that companies that have mii costumes that are not premium that do not have dlc yet will have one. And how early they had costumes shows how early the character will come in the pass. I believe the rest of the fighters pass will be from these companies: Bandai Namco, Capcom, Ubisoft, and Bethesda; In about that order. And I believe Doom slayer is the Bethesda character despite what Stratton said in the interview because I believed a Bethesda character was planned during that time but a specific character wasn’t decided yet. Later on it was decided though and it’s why we have Vault boy this late on. The fifth unknown character is a mystery to me, I believe that it would be from a company that has dlc rep (most likely Nintendo) or from an unknown company that doesn’t have a costume yet. One thing that goes against my theory though is the Mystical Ninja costume, which is Konami’s. But who knows...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
In any case, guys, we should search for any glitches that may possibly hint at Doom Slayer when Version 8.0 comes out next Monday. I mean, it could be anything. Super Scopes sticking to Ganondorf's hand, the Side Smash RPG still being visible on Snake, anything.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In any case, guys, we should search for any glitches that may possibly hint at Doom Slayer when Version 8.0 comes out next Monday. I mean, it could be anything. Super Scopes sticking to Ganondorf's hand, the Side Smash RPG still being visible on Snake, anything.
Those glitches were actually caused by faulty SD cards.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Those glitches were actually caused by faulty SD cards.
You sure about that? I don't think that was the case.

I mean, look: Mii Swordfighter had a freeze glitch, and there were shield clank files similar to the ones you'd hear on the Links, and we eventually got Hero.

Same with Duck Hunt minus the shield clanks, and we got Banjo then.

I don't remember if there was anything found for Terry.

Simon/Richter had a whip glitch for his Side Smash, and since Byleth had a whip sword in their set, it's pretty safe to assume it'd be them.

And finally, Bayonetta had a texture glitch when she uses Side Smash, and what do you know, Min Min got announced just yesterday, and like Bayonetta, she has something related to changing textures!

I don't see how anyone would attribute those to faulty SD cards, but so far, "glitches = new fighter hint" isn't letting up yet.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You sure about that? I don't think that was the case.

I mean, look: Mii Swordfighter had a freeze glitch, and there were shield clank files similar to the ones you'd hear on the Links, and we eventually got Hero.

Same with Duck Hunt minus the shield clanks, and we got Banjo then.

I don't remember if there was anything found for Terry.

Simon/Richter had a whip glitch for his Side Smash, and since Byleth had a whip sword in their set, it's pretty safe to assume it'd be them.

And finally, Bayonetta had a texture glitch when she uses Side Smash, and what do you know, Min Min got announced just yesterday, and like Bayonetta, she has something related to changing textures!

I don't see how anyone would attribute those to faulty SD cards, but so far, "glitches = new fighter hint" isn't letting up yet.
I do remember someone saying that the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt case was due to faulty SD cards, and according to "glitch reports" the next one involves Ness, and more specifically his eyes.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
So I just looked into the mii costume trailers more and it seems that if it does happen a Bandai Namco character would happen around Ubisoft’s character, most likely after.

I do remember someone saying that the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt case was due to faulty SD cards, and according to "glitch reports" the next one involves Ness, and more specifically his eyes.
Hmm... then who would that relate to then?

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
No. That's Phoenix Wright. Layton was created by Level 5.
Dang it. Well does anyone know what the glitch is? And why it would have to do with him? Most of the glitches seem to have to do with the move set not how they look. Is there something he is known to do with his eyes?

Last edited:

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Dang it. Well does anyone know what the glitch is? And why it would have to do with him? Most of the glitches seem to have to do with the move set not how they look. Is there something he is known to do with his eyes?
Nope, it's all because of the eye similarity. Though if Layton did have some eye powers that would make puzzle solving a whole lot easier.
1592975467298.png

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
Eh I think it's fair to take the Vault Boy mii costume as a blow against the Slayer, but it's also not something I'd consider conclusive yet. We've had 3rd party costumes revealed that had nothing to do with the current challenger release since Banjo, I wouldn't take it as a sign as to what companies to expect or not to get a guest into the game. Now if it was the mythical Cacodemon hat or any costume depicting the Slayer, I'd be more inclined to agree we have a definitive disconfirmation, but that ain't the case so far.
That's 100% a balanced take. It isn't good but its not necessarily as damning as the interview post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Vault Boy Mii costume.
What this means is up to anyone's interpretation; some say it hurts Doom Slayer because we got a Bethesda costume before a fighter from them and others say it's a sign that something is coming. I'm going to be optimistic and say that it helps out the chances for a Bethesda fighter. With the kind of company Bethesda is, I doubt they would just settle for a Mii costume, even if Fallout is popular in Japan.

I say the chances for a Bethesda character happening is 70%, but I think it's really between the Slayer and Dragonborn. I'm confident some Bethesda character will happen, but I have room for doubt.

Here's hoping we will go for the glory!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I still doubt Cacomallow's legitimacy even after the Vault Boy Costume.

Assuming one of those costumes comes with the next character, it likely will have been A YEAR since we saw those costumes. Why would the development fully model, texture, and playtest all these costumes THAT far in advance? Especially ahead of the characters being done where they would have to go back and check for problems with the mii costumes and the character playing against each other.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's 100% a balanced take. It isn't good but its not necessarily as damning as the interview post.
And said interview was done by someone of a lower position than Bethesda's president. What we don't know is if the "nothing serious" comment was actually a lie told to him, a subterfuge on his part, or the truth.

Don't remember who or where it was said, but :ultbanjokazooie: showed us that key third-party figures can go as far as outright lying to prevent a NDA breach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom