• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
At this rate, I believe the Cacodemon hat is likely a situation similar to the Palutena screenshots leaks from Smash 3DS, someday the creator might come out to spill the beans, but by then we could have either the Slayer or Geno announced for anyone to really care of the legitimacy of it anymore (or neither too).

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
And said interview was done by someone of a lower position than Bethesda's president. What we don't know is if the "nothing serious" comment was actually a lie told to him, a subterfuge on his part, or the truth.

Don't remember who or where it was said, but :ultbanjokazooie: showed us that key third-party figures can go as far as outright lying to prevent a NDA breach.
Marty Stratton is the executive producer of Id Software though. Pretty high up for the studio. It’s likely he would know about smash negotiations.

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
And said interview was done by someone of a lower position than Bethesda's president. What we don't know is if the "nothing serious" comment was actually a lie told to him, a subterfuge on his part, or the truth.

Don't remember who or where it was said, but :ultbanjokazooie: showed us that key third-party figures can go as far as outright lying to prevent a NDA breach.
I'm not going too hard on this again before claims of me being malicious happen again, but i think the general director of DOOM would be more than aware of any happenings.
Whether or not you believe it to be NDA is up to you - but there are clear examples of people telling the truth about not making it in (snake in smash 4, sora, megaman for brawl)

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I'm not going too hard on this again before claims of me being malicious happen again, but i think the general director of DOOM would be more than aware of any happenings.
Whether or not you believe it to be NDA is up to you - but there are clear examples of people telling the truth about not making it in (snake in smash 4, sora, megaman for brawl)
Could be that a Bethesda character was being talked about, but not a specific character was chosen at the time. Maybe they did decide on him later on and he could be later on in the pass. I mean it could be why there were talks about him in smash in the first place.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
https://kotaku.com/xbox-boss-phil-spencer-says-banjo-in-smash-was-an-easy-1835418742

Hmm, strange the meeting for Banjo was with Xbox/Microsoft before anyone from Rare. Maybe if a Bethesda character was planned it would first be talked about with Bethesda/Zenimax, and not someone from ID. And Marty is from ID software not from Bethesda.

EDIT: Fixed the wording cause I said it in a way that made it that it goes to the CEO, that is wrong it goes to the parent company first. And added a sentence saying that Marty isn’t from Bethesda but from ID.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
If not Smash, I think an Animal Crossing crossover is pretty likely. The Switch port is releasing pretty late after the original so there would need to be some incentive for people to double dip beyond portability. I think there’ll be some animal crossing or some other Nintendo content in Doom Eternal or something like that.

Or if you have Doom Eternal save data on Switch, you can get Doomguy in a Hawaiian shirt to move into your animal crossing island lol.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I was going to talk about that the Fighters 1 pass characters were chosen after it was announced, but it seems to be that fighters pass 2 character were chosen at the time or before it was announced. But there is still one thing I need to see, and that is when does the company under their parent gets told about their character being in? Could it be when it starts development or just after the decision was made?

All that I’m saying is Doom slayer could still be chosen, but might not come until after the next character in the pass finishes development.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
lol a collab with Animal Crossing would be hilarious after all the memes of those 2 sharing their release date.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
TL;DR of what I have said: Doom slayer could still be in the pass even though Marty said the opposite. As shown before with Banjo, the talk about having the character in goes to the parent company before the company that uses the character. So by the time Marty’s interview happened either 1.Doom slayer could have still been in talks with Bethesda, or 2. The talk was finished but ID will not hear about it until they start planning the character to release later on in the pass

PS: https://nintendoeverything.com/rare...imate-paul-cunningham-helped-with-the-design/

“Rare says it was working with Nintendo ‘since last year,on everything from movesets to musical choices’”

it seems from this page that it might take at most a year of development before the character will be announced. So if Doom slayer is still in the works I think he will be at least the 4th character in the pass.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do wonder though, the American Mii costume trailers seem to be really afraid of name-dropping mature titles.

It shouldn't affect anything Doomguy related but is it a new ESRB thing I'm unaware of or will Sakurai be talking about Doom while his translator calls him the Marine from Slayer.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I do wonder though, the American Mii costume trailers seem to be really afraid of name-dropping mature titles.

It shouldn't affect anything Doomguy related but is it a new ESRB thing I'm unaware of or will Sakurai be talking about Doom while his translator calls him the Marine from Slayer.
They are weird, cause spirit event post can mention Resident Evil and Warframe, but mii costumes showcases can’t mention Assassins Creed or Fallout?

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
is the ESRB seriously why they don't promote the mii crossovers as Assassin's Creed or Fallout? Man that's so bizarre.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
It seems as well that they don’t even say their names as well. But when in a cup head spirit event they say the series they’re from. Odd, guess he will be called Doom slayer and Doom wouldn’t be mentioned
is the ESRB seriously why they don't promote the mii crossovers as Assassin's Creed or Fallout? Man that's so bizarre.
Who knows? I don’t see anything there that would have an issue with it.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If we get something like "Super Smash Bros. X Pyramid Head" if we get a Pyramid Head Mii Costume or "Super Smash Bros. X CJ" if we get a costume of CJ from Grand Theft Auto or something, somebody's gotta do some investigating here.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Must be because the Japanese and European ones use the series logos.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
If we get something like "Super Smash Bros. X Pyramid Head" if we get a Pyramid Head Mii Costume or "Super Smash Bros. X CJ" if we get a costume of CJ from Grand Theft Auto or something, somebody's gotta do some investigating here.
Based on what I have seen I guess it’s because advertisements have to have a rating of all content that is used or referenced in America and they don’t want the video to have a mature rating on it. So if Doom slayer gets it Anything talking about the series has to be removed or it will have a E-M rating on it. So they can be reference, but NOA doesn’t want to.

For example Hero’s showcase has a E-T because Dragon Quest 11 is T, Min Min’s showcase is E-T because Tekken is referenced.

That means that if Doom Slayer is in Smash, his showcase might be worse to censor than the character himself. Doom can still be referenced in the game though.

Last edited:

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
They've broadcast M-rated logos before without issue so it is very strange.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Based on what I have seen I guess it’s because the video has to have a rating of all content that is used or referenced in America and they don’t want the video to have a mature rating on it. So if Doom slayer gets it Anything talking about the series has to be removed or it will have a E-M rating on it. So they can be reference, but NOA doesn’t want to.

For example Hero’s showcase has a E-T because Dragon Quest 11 is T, Min Min’s showcase is E-T because Tekken is referenced.
I mean I understand that much, but NoA has been willing to put an E-M rating in their Directs before. Unless there's something preventing NoA from actually flatout mentioning M-rated franchises in a Mr. Sakurai Presents, whether it's lack fo desire to like you said or something else, I still feel like something's missing here. Hell, was Joker's showcase video E-M considering it's Persona we're talking there?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
No joke, Pyramid Head as a Premium costume would be freakin' sweet.

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
I mean I understand that much, but NoA has been willing to put an E-M rating in their Directs before. Unless there's something preventing NoA from actually flatout mentioning M-rated franchises in a Mr. Sakurai Presents, whether it's lack fo desire to like you said or something else, I still feel like something's missing here. Hell, was Joker's showcase video E-M considering it's Persona we're talking there?
I guess it’s because they want the showcase to advertise to younger people but the directs are meant for older audiences

Also youre right, the Persona video has Persona 5 mentioned even though it’s mature rated but has a E10+. I guess it depends on the character, they would censor a mii costume but not a character?

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I'll be surprised if the Vault Boy mii costume is all they got out of Bethesda honestly, whether that'll conclude on the Slayers addition to the roster only time will tell. It's kinda cool how they're branching out more with western devs for these sort of collaborations none the less, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Tracer Mii gunner or something by next update.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If the names of mature titles were an issue, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil wouldn't even be mentioned in the game. I think Nintendo just sees Assassin and Fallout as too bad of words for an E game to use so names like Doom and Silent Hill should still be fine. Also if nothing else when during a Doomguy presentation, they could just NOT show Doom's gameplay and have Sakurai describe what it's about, who it's star is, warn parents watching it's not suited for children and it should be good.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If the names of mature titles were an issue, Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil wouldn't even be mentioned in the game. I think Nintendo just sees Assassin and Fallout as too bad of words for an E game to use so names like Doom and Silent Hill should still be fine. Also if nothing else when during a Doomguy presentation, they could just NOT show Doom's gameplay and have Sakurai describe what it's about, who it's star is, warn parents watching it's not suited for children and it should be good.
If that was the case, then Nintendo would've called Assassin's Creed and Fallout by other names in Europe and Japan. Also, as for Doom gameplay in a Sakurai Presentation, maybe they can just show the 1993/1994 gameplay? The gore, while still being Doom is...a little dated by today's standards. It'd even go so far as to say it's a little tame. But then again, CERO and ESRB can be unpredictable when it comes to abusable loopholes...

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
they could always use Doom GBA footage, where things look so grainy the violence doesn't really matter

Hello everyone, this is Sakurai. Normally during these presentations, I like to exhibit soome of the challengers series history to teach those who might not be very familiar with it, but due to the more violent nature of Doom, I'm afraid I'm limited to only showcase the more ESRB/CERO approved hack of the original classic, Chex Quest

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Adding to that, don't some demons use green and blue blood anyway? I figure that'd be kosher enough.
Yeah, the Cacodemons, Barons of Hell and Hell Knights, as far as I'm concerned. And then there's the Lost Souls and Pain Elementals, who don't even have blood. Or are we talking in the context of the modern Doom games?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
They could just have screenshots from the games that display action setpieces. They don't necessarily have to show footage if violence is a problem.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I don't think it'd be a big deal.

All they'd need to do is let people know beforehand that the presentation would contain scenes from M rated games. Put out a small disclaimer on twitter and at the start of the broadcast. And this is only assuming they want to show footage from Doom games during his character showcase presentation. I don 't think they showed any footage of Persona 5 in Joker's presentation, so its not like they HAVE to show Doom footage.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I don't think it'd be a big deal.

All they'd need to do is let people know beforehand that the presentation would contain scenes from M rated games. Put out a small disclaimer on twitter and at the start of the broadcast. And this is only assuming they want to show footage from Doom games during his character showcase presentation. I don 't think they showed any footage of Persona 5 in Joker's presentation, so its not like they HAVE to show Doom footage.
They also did not show any old gameplay of Banjo and Kazooie during their presentation. So, they could explain what DOOM is without any footage.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
They also did not show any old gameplay of Banjo and Kazooie during their presentation. So, they could explain what DOOM is without any footage.
Absolutely. I can see Sakurai making a joke out of it too, saying something like "we would show footage of the games, but it would raise the age rating of this presentation". It would be fine.

I'm not picturing his reveal trailer being any more violent than Ridley's either. People don't understand that you can still portray over the top brutality and violence without blood. Its all in the animations.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Absolutely. I can see Sakurai making a joke out of it too, saying something like "we would show footage of the games, but it would raise the age rating of this presentation". It would be fine.

I'm not picturing his reveal trailer being any more violent than Ridley's either. People don't understand that you can still portray over the top brutality and violence without blood. Its all in the animations.
Absolutely. And if Doom Slayer gets unique Glory Kills for every character, you could do some brutal stuff while being bloodless. Some can be creative, like force-feeding Charizard its own tail. Others can be slapstick, like using Min Min's arms like a jump rope while they're still attached to her. Or hell, some can even be some decent shout outs, like defeating Ganondorf the same way you finish him as Ganon in Ocarina of Time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, wasn't the :ultjoker: one really unusual overall since it's the only one that wasn't a Sakurai Presents? I hardly think it's a metric to go on from when they actually had gameplay presentation budget.

Absolutely. And if Doom Slayer gets unique Glory Kills for every character, you could do some brutal stuff while being bloodless. Some can be creative, like force-feeding Charizard its own tail. Others can be slapstick, like using Min Min's arms like a jump rope while they're still attached to her. Or hell, some can even be some decent shout outs, like defeating Ganondorf the same way you finish him as Ganon in Ocarina of Time.
As neat as that would be, I doubt there'd be enough development time for doing that to 70+ characters.

Last edited:

Ender1645

Smash Cadet
Also, wasn't the :ultjoker: one really unusual overall since it's the only one that wasn't a Sakurai Presents? I hardly think it's a metric to go on from when they actually had gameplay presentation budget.

As neat as that would be, I doubt there'd be enough development time for doing that to 70+ characters.
They still had logos of the franchises/games, can’t see why a Sakurai presents has to be different than a showcase.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The whole Mii Costume situation has certainly been a divisive one, especially with Bethesda content confirmed to be on the way

Top Bottom