• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I've been watching this thread a number of times, but I'm surprised in myself that I've never posted in it before until now. Back in 2016 I was curious about the Doom revival and how that would play out, but after playing it I was really surprised at how much fun it ended being, to the extent that it actually made me think that, even if toned down, Doomguy would fit quite nicely in Smash with all of his weapons and fast and brutal fighting style. I've considered writing up a moveset and had some interesting ideas for a while for how Doomguy could translate to Smash.

Sign me up for the Doomguy support thread.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
Everyone...

I think we've found the perfect Victory Themes for the Doom Slayer:

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Everyone...

First one is perfect since it's a great remix of the original level-clear theme "Intermission From Doom," which is perfect victory outro theme for Doomguy if he gets his chance.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Everyone...

I'd prefer the second one, though without the "Kar En Tuk" bit. (I've read that it means "Rip and Tear" in the language of the Night Sentinels, but I figure keeping it instrumental would work best)

I get that the first one is the level clear theme, but the second one seems to be associated with the series as a whole, and since Snake's victory theme is the Metal Gear Solid game over theme while Mega Man's is a snippet from one of the most iconic level songs in the classic series, the fact that it's automatically associated with the series might be seen as being more important.

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
First one is perfect since it's a great remix of the original level-clear theme "Intermission From Doom," which is perfect victory outro theme for Doomguy if he gets his chance.
I'd prefer the second one, though without the "Kar En Tuk" bit. (I've read that it means "Rip and Tear" in the language of the Night Sentinels, but I figure keeping it instrumental would work best)

I get that the first one is the level clear theme, but the second one seems to be associated with the series as a whole, and since Snake's victory theme is the Metal Gear Solid game over theme while Mega Man's is a snippet from one of the most iconic level songs in the classic series, the fact that it's automatically associated with the series might be seen as being more important.
Why not have both by making it change depending on his alt costume?

You could have the first one as the Doomguy victory theme and the second one for Doom Slayer.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I decided to get Doom Eternal with my tax refund money (I still plan to get the Switch version when that comes out, since I had no problems with double dipping for the 2016 game), and I got Doom 64 to try that out while I wait for Doom Eternal to download. (Going by the download speed, it will take roughly a full day to download)

Doom 64 was surprisingly smooth compared to what I was expecting (I don't have much experience with N64 shooters - I hadn't even played Goldeneye or Perfect Dark until recently), the graphics were crisp, and the Switch version has achievements, which I wasn't expecting. It's given me a much better first impression than Doom 3 did.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Doom 64 was surprisingly smooth compared to what I was expecting (I don't have much experience with N64 shooters - I hadn't even played Goldeneye or Perfect Dark until recently), the graphics were crisp, and the Switch version has achievements, which I wasn't expecting. It's given me a much better first impression than Doom 3 did.
Absolutely. Doom 64 didn't deserve to be overshadowed by Goldeneye or Turok or Perfect Dark or any of those games, though why that was the case is understandable.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I came across this glorious piece.

The alternative ending to Cuphead?

Taught myself how to rip Doom and Metroid Prime for something dumb.
View attachment 268480
Now I just need to rip Dante somehow.
Funny thing is, the more recent Metroid games were starting to give Samus more up-close and personal options before DOOM 2016 came along. Lethal Strikes in Other M were basically Glory Kills. I wonder if Prime 4 will continue that trend.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I gotta say that this is pretty much the ideal Doom Slayer moveset, but add an insta-kill Glory Kill mechanic to his grabs.
But beyond that, this gets everything perfect.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I gotta say that this is pretty much the ideal Doom Slayer moveset, but add an insta-kill Glory Kill mechanic to his grabs.
That was shared before, but I liked this one. The idea of button duration attacks from Ryu and Ken and Ammo being more like Hero's MP meter does seem like it could go well together. But I do agree that insta-KO Glory Kills would need to be in his moveset in some capacity.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
I had an idea about Doomguy's insta-Glory Kills having a similar mechanic to Terry's higher percents/ratio. When your opponent's ratio is 100% or higher your grabs basically become Thwack and kill the opponent after the grab animation is done. Not sure if having the insta-kill at 100% ratio + getting rewarded with health drops is balanced or not. lol

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I had an idea about Doomguy's insta-Glory Kills having a similar mechanic to Terry's higher percents/ratio. When your opponent's ratio is 100% or higher your grabs basically become Thwack and kill the opponent after the grab animation is done. Not sure if having the insta-kill at 100% ratio + getting rewarded with health drops is balanced or not. lol
I had the same idea way back in the thread.
N3ON N3ON thinks that 100% is too easy for a grab kill confirm.:ultness::ultkrool::ultmewtwo:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
N3ON N3ON thinks that 100% is too easy for a grab kill confirm.:ultness::ultkrool::ultmewtwo:
I had a similar idea as well, where as you damage the opponent as Doom Slayer, a Slayer's Mark would form around them. When the mark is formed completely, you'll get a 6-second window to grab them and instantly KO them. Miss those 6 seconds and you have to build it up again. But I also had an idea where any damage dealt upon the threshold (100% as Voe is suggesting), you'll heal yourself for all excess damage. Meaning: 150 - 100 / 2 = 25% healed. I was also thinking that Glory Kills would also grant a Limit Break-style single-use powerup to your specials, but however those specials may be, I have no clue.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Barret voice: HELL IS BLEEDING THE PLANET DRY!
Barret: Argent is the lifeblood of the hellscape. You just gonna stand there and pretend you can't hear the dimension crying out in pain? I know you can! And we're gonna save it!

Doomguy: Wait, what? That's not why I--

Barret: The UAC is no different than Shinra! It's cause of those machines up there the demons below are suffering!

Doomguy: …………………………………….

Powerman293

Smash Ace
IMO, I am not a fan of this moveset. A bit too Eternal focused for my liking.

I think if we are gonna get insta kill grabs, it's gotta be at like 200% to make it balanced. There's no way it'll be fair to have characters grabbed at 100 and just die from a grab. Not a combo OFF a grab. Just a grab.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
IMO, I am not a fan of this moveset. A bit too Eternal focused for my liking.

I think if we are gonna get insta kill grabs, it's gotta be at like 200% to make it balanced. There's no way it'll be fair to have characters grabbed at 100 and just die from a grab. Not a combo OFF a grab. Just a grab.
Ness kills with a back throw at that percentage. Doom Slayer would most likely be a heavy hitter, so a kill option at 100% seems fair to me.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So I recently watched Markiplier's playthrough of Doom Eternal, but I know absolutely nothing about this franchise. Is anybody here willing to explain the lore to me? I'm a little confused about a few things.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
So I recently watched Markiplier's playthrough of Doom Eternal, but I know absolutely nothing about this franchise. Is anybody here willing to explain the lore to me? I'm a little confused about a few things.
Doom is radical Christian propaganda made to expose politicians in the 90s who wanted to ban violent video games.
Those sinners were actually obstructing religious freedom, trying to hide the horrors of Hell that await the American people if they are not saved.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Terry requires a lengthy input, Hero requires two different RNGs to be favourable for an auto-kill (and people still accuse the character of being busted), and your examples require being in the right place on the right stage against the right character. None are as simple as just landing a grab.

Your idea is basically the Death Scythe but even easier to land, because I'm pretty sure that at least requires a smash attack to actually auto-kill.

But it's good to know that you're not dwelling on it to the extent that like half a year after we last spoke on it, someone finally agreeing with you (even though they questioned whether it would be broken) is cause for tagging me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Terry requires a lengthy input, Hero requires two different RNGs to be favourable for an auto-kill (and people still accuse the character of being busted), and your examples require being in the right place on the right stage against the right character. None are as simple as just landing a grab.

Your idea is basically the Death Scythe but even easier to land, because I'm pretty sure that at least requires a smash attack to actually auto-kill.

But it's good to know that you're not dwelling on it to the extent that like half a year after we last spoke on it, someone finally agreeing with you (even though they questioned whether it would be broken) is cause for tagging me.
The Scythe actually kills with tilts too, just a little later than a smash.

I feel like you're overestimating how easy it is to land a grab. They are slower and more punishable on average than previous games. Would you be OK with the Glory Kill having a limited time frame to be performed after the percent threshold is crossed? Afterwards you would have to shield break and daze the opponent to get another chance.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Doom is radical Christian propaganda made to expose politicians in the 90s who wanted to ban violent video games.
Those sinners were actually obstructing religious freedom, trying to hide the horrors of Hell that await the American people if they are not saved.
Cool!

But... why is Mars involved?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

You realize that I'm just ragging on you. Right.
No need to be a smartass over it. :grin:

KillerCage

Smash Master
HEY! How come you get all of the attention when I was the one who originally posted that video on this thread!?

Please don't take this too seriously; I'm just glad that BrawlFan1 is getting attention around here.
I have been following him and his friends since the Smash 4 speculation days.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
This video covers a lot, though he ignores a lot of lore in Doom 2016 (like the Night Sentinels, Argent D'Nur , and The Wraiths ) and Eternal was not out yet.

So after Doom 64 Doomguy stays in hell fighting demons till he somehow (likely through a portal or teleporter like always) ends up on a new planet in a alternate dimension called Argent D'Nur (said dimension may be in the Doom 3 world, not sure). This planet is home to the Argenta, who where created by creatures called the Wraiths. A race called the Maykrs, from another world called Urdak (basically angels from heaven) also came to this planet, offering a afterlife to the people if they serve them. Both Wraiths and Maykrs are worshiped as gods by the Argenta people

Doomguy is found outside the walls off one of their city's and is arrested by the peoples Night Sentinel guards. He is then forced into trial by combat, where his prize for winning is to serve on the front lines for the Night Sentinel army. The whole time Doomguy rants about demons and his desire to kill them all. This catches the attention of the queen of the maykrs, Khan Maykr, who asks the Sentinel Priests to look into what creatures he's talking about.

Demons end up following Doomguy to Argent D'Nur, and they bring a large titan sized demon with them with. Though he does not have the means to kill the titan, Doomguy slaughters a lot of the demonic hoard. This display impresses the Kahn Maykr's chancellor, The Seraphim (Samur Maykr). The Seraphim offers Doomguy power to help him in his fight against the demons. He putts Doomguy in a divinity machine, turning him basically into a demigod. With his new power and a sword called the Crucible, he kills the titan and becomes known as The Slayer.

The Seraphim disappears after this because he acted without the Khan Maykrs approval, and also takes an A.I. that created the Maykr race called The Father with him. This causes problems for the maykrs because they have been using the Father to keep themselves alive through reincarnation. But thanks to the Sentinel Priests they discover that combing demon energy with Wraith energy creates a new super powerful energy called Argent, which they can use to keep themselves alive. The demon energy is actually made from the tortured souls of people in hell. So Khan Maykr makes a deal with hell to give them people and worlds to consume in exchange she can have the Sentinel Priests build a factory to harvest souls to make Argent energy for her (Maykrs can't enter hell themselves)

The Doom Slayer and Night Sentinels discover this and try to warn the people, only to cause a civil war between them and those still loyal to the Maykrs. A Night Sentinel named Valen loses his son and makes a deal with the now Hell Priests to lead them to the Wraiths and send the Slayer and his fellow sentinels away to attack the soul harvesting factory, in exchange they will bring his son back to life. Only for the Wraiths to become trapped in hell, the Night Sentinels scattered/picked off by demons, The Slayer entombed, and Valen "The Betrayer's" son's heart is used to create the Icon of Sin

One of the Hell Priests approaches Olivia Pierce on the UAC base on Mars to prepare Earth to be sacrificed into Argent for the Maykrs. And Samuel Hayden (who is appears to actually be the Seraphim, who reprogrammed The Father into V.E.G.A) Finds The Doom Slayer's tomb just in case his own research into Argent energy results in a demonic invasion. And that is where Doom 2016 starts

Last edited:

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
I'd recommended that he swap the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun around input-wise, allowing his Meathook to become more of a horizontal recovery and his Up-B into a Rocket Jump (without sacrificing the additional mod abilities)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'd recommended that he swap the Rocket Launcher and Super Shotgun around input-wise, allowing his Meathook to become more of a horizontal recovery and his Up-B into a Rocket Jump (without sacrificing the additional mod abilities)
The Super Shotgun is an A-move iirc.

doomguywhen1993

Smash Apprentice
A good way to represent 64 in Smash would be its main theme and an alt costume.
I'm surprised Mick Gordon even made a partial remaster of E3M3, like he looked at Andrew Hulshult or other fanmade remaster and wanted to do something similar.
In fact, remasters of classic Doom 1/2/Maybe TNT/Sigil music with Mick Gordon twists would be great.
I'd prefer E3M3 over E1M1 as a victory theme because it feels so basic and lazy to overfocus on E1M1.

If anyone wants to care about Doom "lore", the new games have a lot of codex entries and details about the world buidling.
And classic Doom 1/2/64/Maybe others have info in the instructions manuals and intermission screens.
It can be debateable whether or not the connections of the new and old games even makes sense (Which is why a multiverse and alt timelines is usually brought up) but this was the kind of series known for treating its own story like it didn't matter that much.
Doom's setting was mostly a theme or an idea, something that was good enough to make Doom stand out.
If anyone is new to the games, this guide should help you https://thathomestar.wordpress.com/2019/04/12/how-to-doom/ since Doom is a great series to get into.
Specially with a fanbase that kept the series going and almost defined its identity.
May or may not develop an addiction to Wads.

PublicServant

Smash Journeyman
So a bit back, I discussed a few more Doom Spirit ideas, particularly focussing on Doom Eternal's bosses (sans Doom Hunter)

Here are the fruits of those discussions:

Ace Spirits
  • Main Opponent: Giant Reflect Simon (Brown Alt.)
  • Minions: 1x Giant Simon (Brown Alt.)
    • Must be defeated first before the Main Opponent spawns. Shares conditions with the Main Opponent, but also shields often.
  • Stage: Coliseum (Hazards Off)
  • Music: Gladiator (Title pending)
  • Conditions
    • Stamina Battle
    • The enemy has super armour and is hard to launch or make flinch
    • The enemy favours Forward Smash attacks
Legendary Spirits
  • Main Opponent: Doom Slayer (Gladiator Alt if included)
  • Minions: 1x Wolf (Orange Alt.)
    • Prefers side-specials, is easily launched and will respawn periodically during the battle.
  • Stage: Frigate Orpheon (Omega)
  • Music: The Only Thing They Fear is You (Title pending)
  • Conditions
    • Stamina Battle
    • The enemy starts the battle with an enhanced Beam Sword
    • The enemy favours Neutral Special (With the assumption that the Doom Slayer's Neutral Attack is the Super Shotgun) and Forward Smash attacks
    • The enemy Shields often
    • The enemy can heal by shielding attacks
  • Main Opponent: Giant Tail Palutena (White Alt.)
  • Minions: 3x Pit (Red Alt.)
    • Will continuously spawn for the duration of the battle. All have super armour and start the battle with super scopes.
  • Stage: Skyworld
  • Music: Khan Maykr (Title pending)
  • Conditions
    • Stamina Battle
    • The floor is Lava
      • Only affects the bottom- and middle-row platforms.
    • The enemy favours Neutral and Side Special Attacks in the air
    • The enemy is weak to Aerial attacks
    • The enemy falls slowly
  • Main Opponent: Giant Ridley (Yellow Alt.)
  • Minion: Giant Metal Ridley (Grey Alt.)
    • Must be defeated first before the Main Opponent spawns. Shares conditions with the Main Opponent, but prefers not to move.
  • Stage: Skyworld
  • Music: Final Sin (Title Pending)
  • Conditions
    • Stamina Battle
    • Bob-ombs will rain from the sky
    • The enemy has super armour but moves slower
    • The enemy favours Neutral Special Attacks

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Y'know, I hope one of the mentioned campaign DLC's for Eternal gives us the Mother Demon boss, although some have been saying to save her for some Doom 64 retelling at some point in the future. The game already gave us the Unmaker as an unlockable weapon though (which I didn't really have much incentive to use compared to the BFG when fighting the Icon of Sin, etc), so it'd feel right to do so.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Y'know, I hope one of the mentioned campaign DLC's for Eternal gives us the Mother Demon boss, although some have been saying to save her for some Doom 64 retelling at some point in the future. The game already gave us the Unmaker as an unlockable weapon though (which I didn't really have much incentive to use compared to the BFG when fighting the Icon of Sin, etc), so it'd feel right to do so.
The next Doom game will probably make us fight the mother demon as the final boss imo

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The next Doom game will probably make us fight the mother demon as the final boss imo
I agree. I mean, it's only natural.

Wait...that got me thinking...

The Spider Mastermind was supposed to have a telepathy attack in Doom I, but couldn't because of technical limitations. Then she came back and had that and more. Then the Icon of Sin was supposed to be this big damn kaiju demon, but that asked too much of 1994 technology and thus he was a wall. Now he's back and is the massive demon that he was supposed to be. So with all this in mind I have to ask: what was the Mother Demon supposed to have that she didn't get due to N64 limitations? And if anything, would they give it to her in this third modern Doom game?

Top Bottom