• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

At Smash's Gate - The Doom Marine/Doomguy/Doom Slayer Thread

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
I felt my heart stop and flutter at the same time with that. It was "Wow, Assassin's Creed and they can't show the logo? Neat!" and "Oh sweet lord in heaven don't show something by Bethesda."
It still worries me because right now Ubisoft still doesn't have a character and because Assassin's Creed is a major franchise. Same could happen with id. Rayman could always be transformed from a spirit to a fighter in future packs of course. We're still alive for now at least.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Ubisoft getting sent to Mii Costume hell is worrying. Could very easily happen to Bethesda and ID. However, Ubisoft is already in the base game so that could explain why they got costumes. Who knows.

I personally wish we got Altair instead of Byleth today.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Could happen, but it hasn't happened, and until it does happen, I'm not going to act like the Altair Mii is some massive blow to our cause. Yes, this could have gone much better in a lot of ways, but the way I see it, the only thing that's lessened Doomguy's chances is that there's one less spot now for all the possible fighters left. Past that, and it's just more of the same baseless conclusions that we've all kicked around for months now.

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Ubisoft getting sent to Mii Costume hell is worrying. Could very easily happen to Bethesda and ID. However, Ubisoft is already in the base game so that could explain why they got costumes. Who knows.

Altair as a dark horse pick definitely would have been a lot more interesting especially with that little preamble about the character being kept very secret and unexpected. A bit of a waste to just ask Ubisoft for a Mii costume.

Could happen, but it hasn't happened, and until it does happen, I'm not going to act like the Altair Mii is some massive blow to our cause. Yes, this could have gone much better in a lot of ways, but the way I see it, the only thing that's lessened Doomguy's chances is that there's one less spot now for all the possible fighters left. Past that, and it's just more of the same baseless conclusions that we've all kicked around for months now.
Right now I'm still thinking his chances for one of the 6 slots are good. The Ubisoft thing isn't strictly anything new because they had spirits but it would certainly put the supposed Bethesda discussions in perspective. You're right though, nothing has really changed other than not getting FP5.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
It still worries me because right now Ubisoft still doesn't have a character and because Assassin's Creed is a major franchise. Same could happen with id. Rayman could always be transformed from a spirit to a fighter in future packs of course. We're still alive for now at least.
I don't have the most dread for that scenario, only because Ubisoft already had copyright in the game so they could more easily add some Mii Costumes without having to had any legal details. Unlike with Bethesda/Id, where they'd have to add copyright for them, which isn't too hard but less work is always a good thing.
Also I don't think Rayman has a chance since Japan hates Rayman, which is a shame.

dolke

Smash Cadet
I would be surprised if Nintendo didn't collaborate with Bethesda/Zeni at some point regarding smash, so I'm thinking doomguy or another Bethesda rep will definitely take one of these six slots.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman

I'm just wondering why they picked Altair and not Ezio?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Why is Ubisoft a fear

Rayman is hated in japan

And since assassin creeed is a mii costume doubt they will get promoted most likely another sans/cuphead for him/her

Davidius

Smash Journeyman
Personally I'm hoping "Japan doesn't like it" doesn't matter for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen anyone mention this but;
Sakurai straight up said on that stream that Smash is "a celebration of gaming". He confirmed what a lot of fans have been feeling. That sentiment wasn't really unanimous but now it's coming from Sakurai himself. If you ask me when you combine this with everything we already have, particularly his respect for Doom that we can infer, our chances are even better.

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen anyone mention this but;
Sakurai straight up said on that stream that Smash is "a celebration of gaming". He confirmed what a lot of fans have been feeling. That sentiment wasn't really unanimous but now it's coming from Sakurai himself. If you ask me when you combine this with everything we already have, particularly his respect for Doom that we can infer, our chances are even better.
I'm pretty sure he means Japanese gaming. Why else would we get one long-time fan request in the pass with the rest being stuff Sakurai likes. Anyway, hi I'm back and bitter as ever.

Team Scorpion

Smash Cadet
Would KILL for Doom Guy to get announced. I also had an idea for a Final Smash that briefly turns the game into an FPS where you play through the Doom Guy's eyes with the BFG, blasting opponents that were "caught" in the activation of the FS. So you hit the targets several times before it returns to normal and launches them.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, that was a presentation. No Doomguy/Doom Slayer but at least he lives on for another day.

Maybe in the next FP we'll see him. If it as Nintendo/Sakurai has brought up and Smash Bros as a celebration for videogames then maybe FPS will get some attention. And that is, our hellish boy turn if possible. Maybe.

Downside is that the set time for release of all characters is until December of next year so, we'll have a lot of waiting in our hands. Oh well. At least DOOM ETERNAL will be here already. And hopefully the Switch version is out. I would hope so as the game is looking awesome.

Overall, don't lose hope and keep RIP & TEAR'n as always, everyone.

:bowser:.

D

Deleted member

On the bright side, Doom Slayer lives to fight another day even after the Mii costumes from yesterday (sorry to the Ubisoft fans). I was anticipating that Cacodemon Mii costume, but it's still MIA...
We're still surviving.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
On the bright side, Doom Slayer lives to fight another day even after the Mii costumes from yesterday (sorry to the Ubisoft fans). I was anticipating that Cacodemon Mii costume, but it's still MIA...
We're still surviving.
I wouldn't be surprised if Doom Slayer was next considering Doom Eternal's release is soon. Though the Switch version's release is still unknown.

Maybe Doom Slayer and Geno are a double E3 reveal?

D

Deleted member

Cacomallow is still in the running. If we go by the rumor that this was recorded in November (presumably), that means they could have already started on the mii costumes as the picture came out in early November.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Cacomallow is still in the running. If we go by the rumor that this was recorded in November (presumably), that means they could have already started on the mii costumes as the picture came out in early November.
And that footage from sakurais direct wa all the way back in November

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Honestly Cacomallow makes me more afraid than hopeful at this point, considering the other new Mii costumes

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Honestly Cacomallow makes me more afraid than hopeful at this point, considering the other new Mii costumes
As I said before, I highly doubt that they would go to Id Software for nothing but Mii Fighter costumes.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Well, they did for Ubisoft which is bigger deal than IDsoft.
They already worked with Ubisoft for the base game, at least on some small level. (Rayman and some Rabbids got in as spirits) That's not the case for Id Software.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
They already worked with Ubisoft for the base game, at least on some small level. (Rayman and some Rabbids got in as spirits) That's not the case for Id Software.
That's the point. If someone like Ubisoft who worked longer than IDsoft got only Mii/Spirit, what does that say about chance of IDsoft?

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
That's the point. If someone like Ubisoft who worked longer than IDsoft got only Mii/Spirit, what does that say about chance of IDsoft?
There is definitely the chance that Doom is only getting Mii Costumes but I think that will probably not happen. Mostly because aside from indie characters, every mii costume is owned by a company that has representation in another way (please correct me if I'm wrong). Bethesda/ID/Zenimax has nothing so far. Also, if characters had to come with Mii Costumes from the same company, why did we just get Cuphead? Until this gets overruled, I think this has some validity.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Altair as a dark horse pick definitely would have been a lot more interesting especially with that little preamble about the character being kept very secret and unexpected. A bit of a waste to just ask Ubisoft for a Mii costume.
This. I have zero interest in Assassin's Creed but its protagonists are inherently more interesting than the 8th variation on Marth.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This. I have zero interest in Assassin's Creed but its protagonists are inherently more interesting than the 8th variation on Marth.
I know this is probably just exaggeration for the sake of humour, but while I don't play much of the Fire Emblem characters (I'm terrible at countering, and Robin's resource management gimmick isn't for me), Corrin, Robin, and (based on the gameplay showcase) Byleth play quite differently from Marth.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Im surprised people still believe the mii hat leak, but I wont stop anyone. I think the odds for Doomguy are decent, especially since the character has had a pretty big push over the past year. But well see. Not going to pre order the pass this time tho, since I dont want to get memed into buying another character I have zero interest in (yes I know thats entirely on me but I learned my lesson). And all my friends are probably going to preorder it anyways so I'll just leech of off of them lol. At the very least its only 63 days until Doom Eternal, and I'm hyped to hell and back.

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
Im surprised people still believe the mii hat leak, but I wont stop anyone. I think the odds for Doomguy are decent, especially since the character has had a pretty big push over the past year. But well see. Not going to pre order the pass this time tho, since I dont want to get memed into buying another character I have zero interest in (yes I know thats entirely on me but I learned my lesson). And all my friends are probably going to preorder it anyways so I'll just leech of off of them lol. At the very least its only 63 days until Doom Eternal, and I'm hyped to hell and back.
I'm gonna wait for the first two or three characters in the pass to be revealed before I decide if I'm gonna buy the pass or not, cause if at least half of it is characters I care about, then it's no skin off my back if there's a character in it I dislike. I did the same with the last one and I think it worked out well. Also I'm a turbo cheapo and will do anything to save money, even if it's only five dollars by buying the pass.
Also same with the Eternal part, woo boy I can't wait.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I'm still team Doom Slayer and Crash Bandicoot.
I COULD ask for more, but I'm gonna keep it simple.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
See I'm one of those people who can't stand to have unpurchased characters in my fighting game rosters, so If I go in on a fighting game, which isn't often but I always do with Smash, then yeah I'm getting the character DLC.

The pass could have zero fighters I'm familiar with or very much interested in, doesn't matter I'm getting it because I want everyone, not almost everyone.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
See I'm one of those people who can't stand to have unpurchased characters in my fighting game rosters, so If I go in on a fighting game, which isn't often but I always do with Smash, then yeah I'm getting the character DLC.

The pass could have zero fighters I'm familiar with or very much interested in, doesn't matter I'm getting it because I want everyone, not almost everyone.
You want the tagline on the box. It's "Everyone is Here", not "Almost Everyone is Here".

Top Bottom